View Poll Results: Is the Pre3 better off without 4G?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 30.67%
  • No

113 69.33%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I'll do some test. I'll run soley off of 4G and post my battery stats. Gotta be a day i'm at home though as i don't have 4G at work.
    3g Coverage for me will get around 1.2mbps. Personally, I dont think my phone needs much more speed than that at this time.

All these numbers (specs) could be simply ..... extensions of manhood.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Your friend is silly for keeping it on all day. Even then my standby battery is similar to 3g. Data use increases drainhowever.

Sent from my HTC EVO with Tapatalk.
    He is silly for keeping it on 4G. As I mentioned, there aren't any services that take full advantage of 4G data speeds anyway. He's just the type that constantly uses data.

I'm one of those types as well, last bill cycle I used about 2 gigs worth of data and that's with plenty of WiFi thrown into the mix, but I don't see the value in 4G at this particular time.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    The main reason I would want 4G is tethering. Normal browsing isn't that big of a deal for me on 3G. It's a little annoying waiting for a page to load (I usually don't get better than 800Kbps), but mobile sites are largely built to be quick enough.

I'm really looking for a 4G device that has enough speed to where I can start considering dumping my cable internet in favor of tethering, and that device is coming soon. It's going to be great to stick it to Comca$t, the most evil corporation on Earth.
    Keep in mind that they only announced specs that would guarantee it would launch on SOME carrier. They didn't announce any specs that would LIMIT it to a specific carrier because they obviously don't have a specific carrier to carry it yet.

When they announce who is going to carry it in the US, they will announce whether or not it has "4G" inside (which may be LTE or may be WiMAX).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I initially voted for 4g, but after seeing this article from engadget HTC Thunderbolt said to have terrible battery life, might explain delay? -- Engadget I'm not so sure now especially with the battery size of 1230mah. The evo which is on wimax has a battery of 1500mah.
    i voted no. with 4g you have options. 4g, 3g, 2g.
    with 3g, you just have 3g, 2g

you can turn 4g on if you want fast downloads, turn it off if you eant battery life.
    you can turn on 4g if you have it but you cant if you dont.

i agree about one poster reason for having it is for tethering.

its not a deal breaker for me tho
    I definitely want 4G on a Sprint hotspot enabled phone. I would get rid of my cable provider. With 4G on AT&T or Verizon, then it wouldn't matter, because I would most likely run into their data caps. And certainly with Verizon, they would throttle my connection as well
    I just wish VZW would fix 3G. Coverage for me is still spotty in not so metropolitan areas...and I use WiFi so much now it's less of an issue. Seems Carriers are following software companies' "release new instead of fixing what we have" mentality.
    I see 3G is cheaper, and I hope it's less battery hogging, both good reasons to hold back. There will be another product out anyway by the time 4G gets going (which will be right when 5G is released,) LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I don't want to pay a premium for 4G that's not available for me.
    Why do people keep saying this! FOR THE LAST TIME THE PRICE STAYS THE EXACT SAME IF YOUR ON 4G OR 3G (THEY DO NOT CHARGE MORE FOR 4G) EVEN ON VERIZON, WHO IS LIKE THE ONLY COMPANY WHO'S 4G IS NOTICEABLY FASTER THAN 3G, STILL CHARGES 30 BUCKS FOR UNLIMITED 4G.....!!!!!

ALSO IF YOUR IN AN AREA THAT DOESN'T HAVE 4G YOUR PHONE WILL RUN ON 3G JUST LIKE WHEN WE'RE OUT OF 3G WE HAVE 1X (on Verizon anyway)
    I think why they keep saying that is because they haven't checked the pricing on data plans lately.
    It was when the evo came out Sprint started charging an extra $10 per month just because you had a 4G phone. Even if you couldn't even get 4G.

I only recently learned they quit charging $10 extra because of reading these forums.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    It is 10 extra for all smartphones.
    Yes, but initially sprint was charging $10 more than the Smartphone Data plan just because the phone was capable of 4G - whether you were living anywhere near 4G coverage area or not. That's why some may still be unaware that that has since changed.
    This was back when the Evo was first released. People were ticked they were being charged extra just because they had an Evo.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I don't care what the International Telecommunication Union says at this point. The ITU waited WAAAAAAAYYYY too long to release a 4G standard so "4G" became a marketing term, not an official standard. It's too late to go back now.
    Just wanted to point out the ITU released the requirements of IMT-Advanced in 2008.

source
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Since I live in an area that will get 4G sometime around the release of 6G, I'm not concerned about having a Pre with 4G. Add to that the fact that 4G sucks battery like nothing else (even more than a Pre Minus on 1x), and I wouldn't want it. Now, with that said, since Sprint will charge me for it even though I can't get it and don't want it, I'm not that happy about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Since I live in an area that will get 4G sometime around the release of 6G,

Maybe by the time there's 8G I might get 3G where I live.

I only get 3G at my office.
    And I'm still only 2G at my home.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Maybe by the time there's 8G I might get 3G where I live.

Hi,

LOL...

same thing here!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  17. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Simply put, no.

It should be 4G capable. Remember one always has the choice of turning it off when you want.

In addition, many people get phones that they will have for two years. I feel taking everything into consideration it should have 4G.

I also would like to change a few other items about it, but that is not what this thread is about.

*Sent from my Palm Pre
    Answer this.....Is having 4G capability being forward thinking? Should HP be forward thinking? Build for now, or build for the future?

Hmmm seems like a no brainer
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Even if you're not a fan of 4G, it costs the same and can be disabled to save battery. So I don't see how lack of 4G could possibly be considered a good thing.
    Unfortunately, disabling it on your device won't facilitate disabling it on your bill.

Regardless, the days of truly unlimited data are numbered; we're all likely going to be paying more for any-G. And if this AT&T-Mobile thing happens, it's going to go up sooner than that.

I agree, why pay for something that's not available where I spend 98.7% of my time? Maybe tiered service is the answer after all...
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    I think 4G would of put the Pre3 out there with the big boys
    - Sent from my HTC Evo 3D
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast