View Poll Results: Is the Pre3 better off without 4G?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 30.67%
  • No

113 69.33%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    That is a subjective question. As someone who is on Sprint and will have to pay for it regardless on their network, I wouldn't mind it being 4G.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I'm not on Sprint
    Then what carrier are you on? As far as I know verizon doesn't charge you extra for 4G. So that shouldn't be an issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Windows Phone 7 doesn't support 4G networks yet.

Look at the conspicuous amount of windows phone 7 not on 4G networks.
    Engadget reporting Sprint in talks to create LTE network, supports my belief that Sprint is killing wimax:

Sprint allegedly talking to LightSquared over 4G infrastructure deal, Clearwire should be sweating -- Engadget
    Sprint has already came out publically and said they will evaluate Wimax adoption rate over the next 6 months. Of course they may take LTE over wimax (as everyone else is anyway).

But i'm more going with HTC Arrive is not a sign that they are killing wimax.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Either way Wimax or HSPDA+ is still faster than regular 3g so why not include. It can be toggled off or on depending on your wants.

Right now not a single carrier is charging extra for "4G" speeds.

I, for one, would rather the option. I DO want it and will probably switch to AT&T from sprint just to get the HSPDA+, if it exists on the Pre 3
    I agree, I use my 4G on my EVO Shift a lot. I get between 6 to 10Mbps. It does kill battery but you just turn it off when not needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    I agree, I use my 4G on my EVO Shift a lot. I get between 6 to 10Mbps. It does kill battery but you just turn it off when not needed.
    You sir, may have the fastest WiMax experience in history.
    I bought an Evo a while ago after my final Pre gave its last breath. Its a good phone but never will compare to WebOS. But 4G really isn't all what its psyched up to be. Ya its cool and it is lightning fast but it does drane the battery. It is cool having it and being able to use it but it just should be drawn like a gun by the carriers. I will guarantee that 68% of the people who voted "yes" on the poll were those who haven't OWNed a 4G device. Yes they may have played with it in the shop but they haven't gone around the block with it. If I had the decision of having 4G or the device being .5mm thinner... I would choose thinner.
    Don't get me wrong, I love 4G but the best use for 4G is marketing, not use. The fact that users would be complaining that they have 5 hours of battery because they have it turned on all the time (when they get 28 hours without) will not be worth it.
    Last edited by Rennat; 02/24/2011 at 07:01 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    You sir, may have the fastest WiMax experience in history.
    No, not really. I get 3-8 usually but every other time I may get a spike at 10. I think my best I've every got was 11.something. It was early in the morning and I had FULL signal.
    EDIT: But I do tend to get higher on the side of 3-8. Average of probably like 6.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Even though there's no 4G where I live, I voted that the Pre3 is NOT better off without 4G.
    It seems pretty obvious that having 4G on your phone is in now.
    Here i ran a few test to try to get an average. The bottom two are off of wifi:

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I bought an Evo a while ago after my final Pre gave its last breath. Its a good phone but never will compare to WebOS. But 4G really isn't all what its psyched up to be. Ya its cool and it is lightning fast but it does drane the battery. It is cool having it and being able to use it but it just should be drawn like a gun by the carriers. I will guarantee that 68% of the people who voted "yes" on the poll were those who haven't OWNed a 4G device. Yes they may have played with it in the shop but they haven't gone around the block with it. If I had the decision of having 4G or the device being .5mm thinner... I would choose thinner.
    Don't get me wrong, I love 4G but the best use for 4G is marketing, not use. The fact that users would be complaining that they have 5 hours of battery because they have it turned on all the time (when they get 28 hours without) will not be worth it.
    I saw a friend last week and he was showing off his EVO (and we have 4G coverage in our area). I asked him "how's the battery life?"

He told me that he carries not one, not two, but three extra batteries. Three. 3. III.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    Why on earth would HP release a new phone with 3G only?! ***?

Cause no one @ HP even knows about the existence of 4G...........
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Anyone ever given it any thought that the powers that be @ HP don't know about the existence of 4G?.............
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    I don't want to pay a premium for 4G that's not available for me.
    I just went through this with Sprint. Their new pricing structure requires $10 for any smart-phone. Since that is their focus with EVO and all their flagship phones, it would seem that any phone like Pre 3 should have 4G. That is their push for the future and the speed would also make sense for HP. I would think that any TouchPad that Sprint wants to sell would also need 4G. HP would want the cutting edge technology to make it attractive and from a Marketing apect as well.
    With Sprint flip flopping on Wimax, I wouldn't buy a phone for 4g specifically. They say now that if they switched to lte that it's a software upgrade, but that mantra could change in a second. It's too much of a gamble for me to plunk down money then loose functionality.

How long would it take sprint to go back to the manufactorers and have them build an update, test is then release it? 6mo to a year at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    I saw a friend last week and he was showing off his EVO (and we have 4G coverage in our area). I asked him "how's the battery life?"

He told me that he carries not one, not two, but three extra batteries. Three. 3. III.
    Your friend is silly for keeping it on all day. Even then my standby battery is similar to 3g. Data use increases drainhowever.

Sent from my HTC EVO with Tapatalk.
    I'd rather have a 4G tablet. Not sure if I care so much about streaming movies or downloading huge files on my phone. Besides...chances are if I want to do anything requiring that speed, I'll probably be in a wifi hotspot (or at home) where I can just work off a router instead of a tower.
    What i use my 4G for:

1. Downloading podcasts on the go. I'll try to do it when i'm on wifi, but if i forget or just out of range of my wifi, i flip on 4G and do it that way.

2. Tethering on the go. Nuff said.

3. Uploading large amount of pictures or a video to youtube. My upload speeds via 4G eclipse my ISP speeds so I choose 4G over my wifi.
    Yes, personally I really only see the value of 4G for when I would tether. In this instance, I usually have the phone plugged in so power draw isnít such a big concern.

If I could tether (carrier approved or otherwise) and not be limited to a horridly small cap like 2 GB, then I would very much like to see 4G.

But at the same time, I donít see 4G infrastructure being available in the (rural) areas that I traditionally look to tether, so maybe it isnít such a big deal for me ďthis go around.Ē

-Suntan
    I was pretty sure Sprint WiMax was capped at 10Mbps, theoretical. The average download reviews I've seen peak the download in the 5Mbps with most downloads in the 3Mbps range so I wonder about performance substantially beyond that and whether or not it's an accurate sample size (large enough file)

Most HSPA+ phones are capped at 14.4Mbps maximum, but that's way more than enough for a mobile user, and even most broadband users as you can pretty much stream 720p at 14.4, if you could really hit it.

From what I'm reading WiMax is absolutely brutal on batteries, but I wonder if that has more do with the network design and frequencies? I have to wonder if HSPA+ and LTE are a lot more efficient in regard to power usage.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast