View Poll Results: Is the Pre3 better off without 4G?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    50 30.67%
  • No

    113 69.33%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 146
  1. RafRol's Avatar
    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #41  
    T-Mobile runs their HSPA network at different frequencies than AT&T. And I think AT&T will be using HSDPA as their "4G" network... therefore, I wouldn't call the Pre3 a 4G phone (if it indeed supports AT&T's GSM frequencies which are the same as those in Europe).
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  2. #42  
    Let's not forget...these new phones are what Palm was baking before the takeover. HP has stuff cooking and I don't think it will be 2012 when we see it launch IMO. I'm torn between upgrading to the Pre 3 when it launches on Sprint or wait9ing a few months for the REAL HP phones to drop.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!


  3. eden922's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #43  
    i live in san jose, and we have 4g here, i rarely use it on my evo, it drains the battery like no other. i dont care for 4g, its all a scam.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Let's not forget...these new phones are what Palm was baking before the takeover. HP has stuff cooking and I don't think it will be 2012 when we see it launch IMO. I'm torn between upgrading to the Pre 3 when it launches on Sprint or wait9ing a few months for the REAL HP phones to drop.
    As someone a) out of contract with an upgrade banked and b) living in a 4G area, I have a hard time locking myself into a new 2 year contract with any phone that is not 4G. Right now that includes you, Pre3.
  5. #45  
    I really don't care for 4G in its current iteration. Eats the battery like there is no next hour. My Pre3 complaint will be that I'll have to pay the extra $10 fee with Sprint even though the phone is NOT a 4G phone.

    4G fee with Sprint FTL!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  6. #46  
    I think that Sprint is killing wimax. Just look at the performance of CLWR and also consider the latest phone announcements and their conspicuous lack of 4G (Pre3, HTC Arrive).
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    T-Mobile runs their HSPA network at different frequencies than AT&T. And I think AT&T will be using HSDPA as their "4G" network... therefore, I wouldn't call the Pre3 a 4G phone (if it indeed supports AT&T's GSM frequencies which are the same as those in Europe).
    AT&T HSPA (HDSPA) network frequencies are 850/1900.
    TMobile's HSPA network frequencies are 1700/2100
    TMobile's 1900 frequency channel is EDGE.

    If the Pre3 doesn't support 850/1900/1700/2100, it'll be only decent for AT&T's network. Also, the preliminary phonearena.com specs say the Pre3 will support 14.4 HSPA+, which is faster than WiMax 4G, but still FAR from TMobile's 42Mbps roll out this year or even AT&T's normal 21Mbps capability.

    Everything is preliminary, but launching a phone that can't take advantage of currently available and soon to be available speeds is just stupid IMHO.

    For the users that don't like 4G and prefer surfing in the stone age, shut 4G off.
  8. #48  
    One of my Techie friends just told me, if we downgrade our radios to 2G, it would give us more than a days battery life. Is there any patch to do that? He also said 3G and 4G are scams.
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 02/24/2011 at 01:25 PM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  9. #49  
    Either way Wimax or HSPDA+ is still faster than regular 3g so why not include. It can be toggled off or on depending on your wants.

    Right now not a single carrier is charging extra for "4G" speeds.

    I, for one, would rather the option. I DO want it and will probably switch to AT&T from sprint just to get the HSPDA+, if it exists on the Pre 3
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitbiker View Post
    I think that Sprint is killing wimax. Just look at the performance of CLWR and also consider the latest phone announcements and their conspicuous lack of 4G (Pre3, HTC Arrive).
    Windows Phone 7 doesn't support 4G networks yet.

    Look at the conspicuous amount of windows phone 7 not on 4G networks.
  11. #51  
    I don't see anyon reason why anyone would NOT want it outside of just being difficult.
  12. #52  
    option 3 - Don't Care
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    One of my Techie friends just told me, if we downgrade our radios to 2G, it would give us more than a days battery life. Is there any patch to do that? He also said 3G and 4G are scams.
    Your techie friend is half right.

    2G service would give you MUCH better battery life...unfortunately, CDMA phones don't have that option to switch to the older network. The iPhone does have this ability to switch form 3G to the EDGE network (which is technically 2.5G i guess).

    I usually just turn my data off if i really want to save some juice.


    Anyway, 3G when it first came out like when sprint was calling their data "Vision" was most certainly a 2.5G, but around 2005 i think they rolled out their real 3G network which is again, real 3G. 4G right now that it has been officially defined, none of the carriers technically have "real" 4G.

    But at least sprint was marketing theirs before the official definition came out. I do think AT&T using their HSPDA network and touting it as 4G is a bit crazy though.
  14. #54  
    1) Battery life. Not for most people. While the 3G data connection does drain the battery, the applications, touch screen and other phone functions are responsible for the greatest power drains under normal usage. Ever played a game in "airplane" mode before? The battery drops pretty quickly.

    2) You cannot downgrade.

    3) You can shut your data connection off in the phone settings, and turn on wifi for data if you like.

    4) 3G is a scam? Ummmm, no. 3G is at least 4x faster than 2G. 2G data would render Sprint Navigation, Pandora, and Youtube unusable, and pretty much make the internet browsing experience unusable, too.
  15. #55  
    Data connection kills your stand by battery. I think people who see their phone losing 20% when they have not even touched their phone will find if you turn off data, you will lose 5% instead.

    Games and some apps of course use battery a lot as well.
  16. #56  
    Sprint WiMax = 10Mbps
    AT&T HSPA+ = 21Mbps
    T-Mobile HSPA+ = 21/42Mbps
    Verizon LTE = 12Mbps

    Real world speeds differ somewhat, but currently, WiMax is trailing TMobile's HSPA+ network.

    I don't care what the International Telecommunication Union says at this point. The ITU waited WAAAAAAAYYYY too long to release a 4G standard so "4G" became a marketing term, not an official standard. It's too late to go back now.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    If you can hit 15Mbps on a smartphone, there is no need for 95% of subscribers to use a separate high speed internet connection. Just tether the smartphone over wireless N and use your phone to provide the interwebs to the house.
    So 95% of subscribers are single? What does my wife do when I go to work? Or should we both pay for smartphone plans with expensive unlimited tethering, then jockey phone tethering back and forth all the time?

    In any case, if the question is do I want it or not, with no hypothetical downside. Then my answer is an unqualified, “Yes, please! And add a jetpack to it at the same time.”

    In the real world though, features have tradeoffs. So if the question were more along the lines of, w/ 4g available in Sept, w/o 4g available in June, the answer would most likely be without please.

    -Suntan
  18. #58  
    Where I live, I haven't even got 3g yet. At this time, 4g makes very little differnce to me.
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #59  
    If I can find an ISP that will give me unlimited bandwidth at 10mps for a phone at $14 a month I'll be all for it.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Sprint WiMax = 10Mbps
    AT&T HSPA+ = 21Mbps
    T-Mobile HSPA+ = 21/42Mbps
    Verizon LTE = 12Mbps

    Real world speeds differ somewhat, but currently, WiMax is trailing TMobile's HSPA+ network.

    I don't care what the International Telecommunication Union says at this point. The ITU waited WAAAAAAAYYYY too long to release a 4G standard so "4G" became a marketing term, not an official standard. It's too late to go back now.
    Is there a phone device on T-Mobile, Verizon or AT&T that hits those speeds?

    If there is....more power to them...but right now, as far as speed tests go, all of them are sitting rather close to each other.


    Is what i got last test. I'm not in a 4g area right now, but i'll see what i get. I usually get a slightly higher download.

    These are consistant (for me at least). Whats troubling is it has faster upload speeds than my current ISP.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions