1.    #1  
    Was there any indication of updates to core apps like Google Maps, or will we still be stuck with the worst Google Maps app on any smartphone?
    According to the demos, it doesn't look like the Google Maps app has been updated; still a container for m.google.com/maps
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Was there any indication of updates to core apps like Google Maps, or will we still be stuck with the worst Google Maps app on any smartphone?
    hmm, did they mention Google at all? Was the email gmail? Were contacts on the device? Did they mention syncing with Google at all?
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    All I have to say about this is: Ugh
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    According to the demos, it doesn't look like the Google Maps app has been updated; still a container for m.google.com/maps
    And now, there's no more Sprint Nav to make up for it with some users.
    Some of the screen shots looked like they were copying large parts of UberCalender.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Some of the screen shots looked like they were copying large parts of UberCalender.
    That would be called "taking a hint".
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    uh, the googlemaps on the Veer loaded in less than 3 seconds....I'd say its optimized...
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    uh, the googlemaps on the Veer loaded in less than 3 seconds....I'd say its optimized...
    It's sad when "less than 3 seconds" is considered "optimized". webOS users have been missing out. On other platforms, optimization is measured in milliseconds, not seconds.
  10. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I tried Google maps on the Pre 3 and it didn't render right. It only rendered half the screen and the images were too small. Clearly not ready for the resolution change. Also durig the enyo demo, when he added a map widget in ares, it wasn't using google maps images. It looked like bing or something else.

Edit:Yup just confirmed it, its definitely a bing map.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by R_E; 02/10/2011 at 01:48 AM.
    I'm much happier with my EVO simply because the integration with Google far outweighs the better multi-tasking ability of the Pre. Well, that and the fact that WebOS never ran smoothly on my original Pre (too many cards, etc.).
  12. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    this bing thing is kinda a big deal no? I mean it may suggest a major shift in maps or even searches as a whole.