Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, is the Pre 3 a world phone or not? Looking for some factual clarification.
    Good question. I've seen mixed reports.

Being a world phone would be a nice plus in the Pre3's corner, considering the rest of the hardware is mediocre.
    *crickets*
    I hope it is a world phone. It would infact be the best world phone to date that balances business and consumer needs (for cdma). It also will keep hp from having to build 2 separate versions for gsm and cdma. Just disable the cdma radio through software for use on gsm only networks.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    The GSM version will be .

BWAHAHAHAHA

sorry........
    I sure as hell hope it is. If you can allow for the space on the system boards it just makes sense to do it this way. You then fabricate 1 product that can be configured anywhere in the world for specific use there. As was said above you simply use software to enable the correct radio. You also then have a world phone capable of roaming to any sort of network. Seems like a win for both the consumer at for HP (who has said they plan to be more agressive at targeting "enterprise" customers).
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I would buy it in a heartbeat if its a worldphone. And please unlock it for US carriers too which will help me jump to ATT from Sprint.
    Would be nice to have a definitive answer on this. Considering I'm going to be traveling more internationally soon, it's one feature that could keep me with WebOS. Otherwise I may be off to Android/BB.
    This isn't gospel, but from the Engadget story at this link:

Under the hood? A Qualcomm MSM 8x55 CPU running at 1.4GHz (!), 802.11a/b/g/n 5GHz, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, A-GPS, a 1230 mAh battery, HSPA+ and EVDO Rev A -- yep, it's a world phone -- and the same RAM as the Pre 2 (that's 512MB DRAM).
    Yea, saw that bit. But I've also seen "or" instead of "and" in regard to the HSPA+ / EVDO situation. Mixed reports.
    I believe Ruby introduced it as 'AND'. Can't check right now at work, but maybe someone can..
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    During the HP presentation it said AND, so who knows.

But the fact that it comes in both 8 and 16 GB models opens the door for multiple versions anyway.

Sprint needs a Good World phone, Verizon has Droid 2 Global and Sprint has only HTC touch pro 2 which came out in 2009. Actually they also have Motorolla's new phone which costs $500 ON contract.

I wish they get PRe 3 I will buy it.
    I asked Sachin about this last night at the dev event. He was very clear that there are two different phones. One is a quad-band GSM variety, and the other is the EvDO Rev. A, with dual-band GSM for roaming in Europe. He said they left off the other two bands on the EvDO because if you were in the US, you were covered by the CDMA providers.

So yes, there are TWO phones, one of which is a CDMA world phone. Hope that clears things up.
    In all this talk of a "world" phone, one thing everyone is overlooking is that a GSM phone is supposed to be a "world" phone by default. That is unless you are Palm and you for inexplicable reasons leave out particular 3G bands, thus rendering the phone to being less than a true "world" phone. Thus the question that no one has asked yet and one that HP has inexplicably not touched upon, is whether the GSM Pre 3, unlike the GSM Pre & Pre 2, have a quad/penta band 3G radio.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Does it mean that I can be on Sprint/Verizon and if I travel overseas I can buy a SIM card with a number and be able to receive phone calls from both services? CDMA and GSM?
    The idea of a CDMA "World Phone" just seems kinda silly to me. I mean if being able to use your phone all over the world was something that was necessary or important for you wouldnt you just buy a GSM phone?
    tasogare - Thanks for the specifics!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Yep, truly a World Phone....

available in 'select markets'.

Apparently the 'world' is now North America and Europe, and screw the rest.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Ruby said "two versions" when speaking with the 'AND' slide displayed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast