Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    I asked Sachin about this last night at the dev event. He was very clear that there are two different phones. One is a quad-band GSM variety, and the other is the EvDO Rev. A, with dual-band GSM for roaming in Europe. He said they left off the other two bands on the EvDO because if you were in the US, you were covered by the CDMA providers.

So yes, there are TWO phones, one of which is a CDMA world phone. Hope that clears things up.
    That's pretty much the impression I got from the presentation, but glad to know there's confirmation of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Does it mean that I can be on Sprint/Verizon and if I travel overseas I can buy a SIM card with a number and be able to receive phone calls from both services? CDMA and GSM?
    If the carrier leaves the sim card/gsm radio unlocked you can just pop in a sim card when you land at your destination and it will work.

for example I had a Blackberry 8830 world phone(with sprint). I took a trip to england and france. I landed and bought a sim card from O2 from a vending machine in the airport, put money on it and I was making calls within minutes. If I had Verizon, the exact same bb8830 can only use a vodaphone sim card when you are overseas
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    The idea of a CDMA "World Phone" just seems kinda silly to me. I mean if being able to use your phone all over the world was something that was necessary or important for you wouldnt you just buy a GSM phone?
    I was talking with the @PreNotes guy last night about it at the HP Dev event and I told him how useful it would be and guess what? He laughed at me and mocked me.

So there is the situation. I have a Sprint phone with my local number that everybody knows and when I travel overseas I want to be reachable at that number in case of emergencies as an IT guy. However, I also need a local phone to make phone calls while I'm overseas. My problem is that I usually end up carrying 2 phones and usually buying not only the SIM card, but the phone. I would love to be able to use only 1 phone with all my contacts info and everything for both my US contacts and my overseas local phone calls.

I cannot be the only person who does this, my boss who constantly travels overseas has to go through the same trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    The idea of a CDMA "World Phone" just seems kinda silly to me. I mean if being able to use your phone all over the world was something that was necessary or important for you wouldnt you just buy a GSM phone?
    No. Antenna design and frequency support are what make a world phone, not just a certain cellular technology.
    So there is the situation. I have a Sprint phone with my local number that everybody knows and when I travel overseas I want to be reachable at that number in case of emergencies as an IT guy. However, I also need a local phone to make phone calls while I'm overseas. My problem is that I usually end up carrying 2 phones and usually buying not only the SIM card, but the phone. I would love to be able to use only 1 phone with all my contacts info and everything for both my US contacts and my overseas local phone calls.
    I'm in essentially the exact same situation.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    world phone makes for a good corporate/enterprise phone, no? Maybe, they will keep that one to market to their existing enterprise customers... just a theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post
    world phone makes for a good corporate/enterprise phone, no? Maybe, they will keep that one to market to their existing enterprise customers... just a theory.
    as shown above, people don't want to carry around more than they have to for business or pleasure.

a multi purpose device is what markets want. It's part of the reason the iPhone succeeds. For many it's a iPod that happens to make phone calls.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12