1.    #1  
    I was going to reply to something in another thread, but I thought that rather than risk feeding flames, it might be better to place it out on its own.

This event was mostly for a US audience, as evidenced by the frequent mention of US availability and "selected" foreign markets. Sure, there were foreign members of the press there, but the majority of the webOS market is in the US (at least for now). The market moves quickly, but not as quickly as people seem to think. I've been following the tech trends for a long time. Here's how I see this working out.

The Pre2 becomes available in the US tomorrow, and probably ships within a couple of weeks. That fulfills the immediate promise to the letter, if not to the spirit as understood by the fanbase. Six to eight weeks later (early April, give or take), the Veer ships, fulfilling the spring promise. Eight to twelve weeks later (June-July), the Pre3 ships, possibly with the TouchPad coming out at the same time to take advantage of the paired features. The smaller tablet comes out eight to ten weeks after that (around September). This keeps up a constant product flow, builds the base back up, and allows HP to see what works and what doesn't while not shifting too far from a familiar operational standpoint.

I see a lot of things to like. I work with one guy who is an Android nut (and developer) and one guy who is an iOS fan. Both were impressed with what they saw, and that's with their own fan-based views of what is expected out of Google and Apple.

I'm patient. I've been eligible for an upgrade since this past summer, but I've been holding on. I've used an iPhone and an iPad at work, but I sensed the limits immediately on both. We have an Evo, too, but it's clunky and inelegant. Neither of those is going to change; it's not like we're going to see a shift on the level of Mac OS9 to OSX in the next three months on those other devices.

A great deal of fear and frustration has built up, and it's clouding the judgment of many fans. They believed that if HP did not come out with a tablet that would match the iPad of 2013, it was doomed to failure. HP is not focusing on the extreme hardware, but on the software and the features, and then finding the hardware that can make it happen -- the same formula that worked so well for Apple. My only disappointment is that HP shifted from the TI OMAP line, but only because I've seen what it can do. Maybe TI couldn't deliver as needed, and so they went with someone else. Or maybe Qualcomm simply gets better performance. We can't know that yet.

It's clear that HP has lined up some serious development interest in this, and they're not going to let that go easily. I was impressed by the range of functionality and software that was demonstrated. I doubt that what we see today is the limit of what we will see when the Pre3 and Touchpad are released.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    If you took out the product names, You could have made the exact same post yesterday.

That is the problem. People don't wait this long for an event that just gives you more unanswered questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If you took out the product names, You could have made the exact same post yesterday.

That is the problem. People don't wait this long for an event that just gives you more unanswered questions.
    And not after we were told that HP would ship products within weeks not months of announcments. And no, the pre-2 doesnt count that was announced months ago and even if it did there were still three products announced that are months not weeks away from shipping which goes right against what was said in the interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    And not after we were told that HP would ship products within weeks not months of announcments. And no, the pre-2 doesnt count that was announced months ago and even if it did there were still three products announced that are months not weeks away from shipping which goes right against what was said in the interview.
    I completely agree with midmofan. I think we are the only 2 people who remember that "commitment to change".

-Frb