1.    #1  
    A 0.5" increase to the diameter of the screen makes a pretty big difference in the phone's overall size.

Pre3 = 3.6", 480 x 800
    Width: 64mm (2.52 inches)
    Height: 111mm (4.37 inches)
    Thickness: 16mm (0.63 inches)

Notice that the Pre3's resolution is almost DOUBLE that of the Pre Plus. So it's going to look pretty sharp, I think.

I'm pumped! That's not a bad size at all.
    Last edited by katefields; 02/09/2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Got the real dimensions from Palm.com
    Plus it is comparable in size to most Android phones, the iPhone, the WP7 phones and the Blackberries. Why is everyone so down on HP? Allow them the room/time to make their plan work.

Is everyone that narcissist/impatient/spoiled to berate a company for implementing its vision that might not be your vision?

If you are dissatisfied, vote with your pocketbook and buy something else.
    The mostly lengthened it. The width only increased by 5 mm, and the keyboard by less than 2. The pixel jump is nice, but there's a bit of sleight of hand in the screen size increase.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I think the problem is marketing. If we look at iPhone 4, there is really not much of big leap in usability. Yes, they have a higher resolution, but that's not going to change how you use the phone. The front facing camera is nice, but there was no video conferencing to begin with and I doubt a lot of people can do it even if they have the capability.

HP needs to realize that the high end phone buyers are not just look for functionality, but also for showing off. I know this is not something people would admit, but how many people with iPhone do we see actually use all the feature in the phone? What Apple is good at is focus on a smaller number of cool features of the phone and market the hell out of it, regardless of usability. It gives people the ability to say, "see what I have here". Whether that really increases productivity is not important.

Of course the long term usability is important, but by they would have already grabbed enough user base, making new features worth while.

My problem with Think Beyond is that the message to not clear. There are a lot of things they talked about yesterday. Many are very interesting and they did not spend enough time. I can see HP is focusing more on integration, yet, they spent a lot of time talk about phone spec, particular features like Time magazine, Kindle. All of that are great, but they need to make the integration of webOS devices big and huge. For example, the printing capability of TouchPab is great and should not be just in the demo. It should be talked about over and over. And the touch share is great, too. These two are things hard to duplicate by other phones. And the other part of the phone spec, like processor, memory are on par with other phone, they should just quickly go over them at the end, not take time showing them.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by ebender1965 View Post
    Why is everyone so down on HP?

Is everyone that narcissist/impatient/spoiled to berate a company for implementing its vision that might not be your vision?
    1. HP CEO said they would be shipping products within weeks after announcing them. He was either misinformed or lied.

2. HP had a huge production yesterday and yet we're left to wonder how much they will cost, when they will be released, and if our respective carriers will even have the Pre3. All while many of us will lose an annual upgrade while we decide whether to continue waiting.

3. HP has also clarified that while we wait for them to get their act together, there will be no updates to our current phones, including the 2.0 that was promised "in the coming months" months ago.

PS: the word you're looking for is 'narcissistic.'
    What about the overall length with the keyboard slid out? It may look a little bit awkward fully extended...
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigLove View Post
    1. HP CEO said they would be shipping products within weeks after announcing them. He was either misinformed or lied.

2. HP had a huge production yesterday and yet we're left to wonder how much they will cost, when they will be released, and if our respective carriers will even have the Pre3. All while many of us will lose an annual upgrade while we decide whether to continue waiting.

3. HP has also clarified that while we wait for them to get their act together, there will be no updates to our current phones, including the 2.0 that was promised "in the coming months" months ago.

PS: the word you're looking for is 'narcissistic.'

I agree with these things and think Hp needs to clear up acouple of these. Def the within weeks statemnt, for creditabilty. I also think they need to get carrier agreements ASAP, and get people pricing and availablity ASAP, and with doing the older pre users right, their going to need to do something big if in fact the current users are considered something at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    What about the overall length with the keyboard slid out? It may look a little bit awkward fully extended...
    I don't know about the look but someone posted from CES that its balanced perfect when the slider is out.

ET
    I think it will be approx 5.5 inches with keyboard open. Pretty big!
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I'll repeat. The market leaders will have a credible ecosystem with the consumer (not just business). Nothing HP has shown tells me anything other than they'll have some cool products "Someday."

Apple has an ecosystem. We can see how Android will have an ecosystem. HP may one day have a functioning ecosystem, but they don't know. They have early stage vaporware. Nobody will write about HPs devices again until they're ready to ship or they announce price, carrier or some new gee-whiz feature.
    This thread got me thinking... I knew screen size went from 3.1" to 3.58" but didn't pay much attention to the resolution. They changed the ratio. It's actually not much wider, but definitely taller.

Roughly speaking...

Screen:
    Pre2
    x: 1.7196"
    y: 2.5794"

Pre3
    x: 1.8419"
    y: 3.0698"

That's just shy of 1/8" wider and 1/2" taller.

I think I would have preferred it stay the same aspect ratio and get wider, but not as much taller.
  12.    #12  
    That's actually great that it's taller (that is, from the portrait view). Sometimes I'l be watching a YouTube video and it's quite obvious that the edges are cut off. Hopefully this new resolution will help with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I think I would have preferred it stay the same aspect ratio and get wider, but not as much taller.
    With most mobile apps, things are displayed in a vertical list. The screen being taller is much more beneficial than for it to be wider due to the vertical design of most apps.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    For scale, can we get an actual pic of the Pre3 sitting next to the Original Pre?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    The Pre3 is roughly 3/16 of an inch wider and 7/16 of an inch taller than the Pre, 2.52 inches wide and 4.37 inches tall with a 3.58 inch screen. To put in perspective, the iphone 4 is 2.31 inches wide and 4.5 inches tall with 3.5 inch screen. The Pre3 will work just fine for me.