Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP's new WebOS "experience" actually is brilliant. But it only works if your printer, phone and tablet (or PC) are ALSO WebOS devices!The auto-transfer of SMS, calls, apps and web pages to your tablet ONLY works if your phone is also webOS. It's a brilliant idea (especially how you can put your phone on a touchstone, start using your tablet and thus it automatically transfers video calls and sms to the tablet - BRILLIANT!).

But the whole thing fails if no one wants to buy your phone! And by the summer time the Pre 3 will be such an out-dated form factor that it ruins the entire thing and the reason for getting a TouchPad over an iPad!
    Summer is way too long. Summer just means that they are still working out bugs.
    If you have the phone ready, you have your big announcement like they did today and you sell soon after. Summer? That's not even a date.

And what's Palms... HPs... deal with memory size? 8 gig? 16 gig?
  3. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    And it only works when the damn thing comes out in a window that's not absolutely ridiculous. Another 6 months? DOA.
    you guys sure are a little nuts...

1.4ghz for webos will make it smooth and fast, why would you need more? Because somebody has more? This is stupid! There will always be something faster better in the future, but maybe you will not. Live life today and not tomorrow

Once i saw an old man with an old camera, he took a photo and was going home. He printed the picutre and was happy.

Once i saw an young man with a new dslr. He started shooting 20 frame per second and was going home. He zoomed into all 20 picture to see the sharpness of every single pixel, he was not statisfied. Just yesterday there was announced a faster and better camera with a newer chip. His picutres where **** (his optionen) so he let them on his harddrive and sold his old camera to buy the new. He was going to take a few pictures with the new camera, but was never happy.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    How in the world is the "form factor" going to be outdated?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    The auto-transfer of SMS, calls, apps and web pages to your tablet ONLY works if your phone is also webOS.
    I don't understand why you would be shocked at this. First, it's core OS functionality that does not exist in Android or iOS. This allows them to leverage it as a selling point. Maybe the Pre3 isn't the perfect phone for you on its own, but if it's good enough and you get this feature, then you go for it.

Second, why would HP provide this functionality on other devices out of the gate? That only risks cannibalizing sales of their own devices.

The schedule is irritating, yes. It's close enough for me to be able to wait, though it will be with some frustration.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    They entirely lost on any possible hype/advertising/launch window buy-up with this months-in-advance announcement. No one cares that they'll be coming out with something in the future. They care if its coming out now. Long future launch windows just allow others to come in and capitalize where HP couldn't.
    I know, OP. It's like they slapped the fastest single-core chip available into it. Maybe they should put a slower 1 ghz chip in it like apple?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    How in the world is the "form factor" going to be outdated?
    The form factor is going to be outdated persay, but they are not offering any other form factors so if you don't want a slider phone, the whole WebOS Ecosystem is shot for you. I jumped to the Evo and was hoping they would have something similar because now that I see what great build quality is and how nice the screen is, I wouldn't want to go back to a slider phone.

Where is the incentive to go with the WebOS Ecosystem if half of the system isn't available?

Definitely a Fail for HPalm.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    The only major issue is the fact that it'll be released so far away and during the iPhone 5 launch.

It has an amazing processor. It has a high res screen. It has an established Pre form factor. It's all good. The issue is the release date.

It's a huge issue, but honestly if it was available today or next month the vibe would be a lot different in here.
  11. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    summer . . . does that mean fall? "coming months" certainly seemed to be a long way off from when we heard that 4 months ago ! I feel they have let us down putting the Palm Nation off again~
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post

1.4ghz for webos will make it smooth and fast, why would you need more? Because somebody has more? This is stupid! There will always be something faster better in the future, but maybe you will not. Live life today and not tomorrow

Once i saw an old man with an old camera, he took a photo and was going home. He printed the picutre and was happy.

Once i saw an young man with a new dslr. He started shooting 20 frame per second and was going home. He zoomed into all 20 picture to see the sharpness of every single pixel, he was not statisfied. Just yesterday there was announced a faster and better camera with a newer chip. His picutres where **** (his optionen) so he let them on his harddrive and sold his old camera to buy the new. He was going to take a few pictures with the new camera, but was never happy.

I'm guessing the common concern here, or mine at least, is that not everybody is so "zen" to stop looking at specs. The platform is dead if it doesn't have big sales. Hardware is still 50% of the deal for the big crowd out there (despite almost everybody here, me included, is going to buy it)

I'm affraid that 1.4 GHz would not be enough. 1 GHz on webOS 1.4.x is crap next to the iPhone 4... and how many extra background processing does webOS 2.x have? To make it awesome you need 2 GHz (or even better, dual core 1 GHz). So we are going to have to rely on homebrew's kernels, again

I'd LOVE to be mistaken, don't get me wrong
    I was reading the comments on appleInsider. their posts are far less inflamed than anything on P|C today. the takeaway is that they are happy to see real competition and consider this the next best thing to an iPad... naturally.
    I'm with everyone else saying the only problem with the Pre 3 is that they've once again gone and announced something they don't have ready for market at a definite time. If they had said "April", that would have been dandy. "Summer" is very wishy washy and I don't like it.

Meanwhile, my contract is still running until November, so I'll have HP's freshest then
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    The form factor is going to be outdated persay, but they are not offering any other form factors so if you don't want a slider phone, the whole WebOS Ecosystem is shot for you. I jumped to the Evo and was hoping they would have something similar because now that I see what great build quality is and how nice the screen is, I wouldn't want to go back to a slider phone.

Where is the incentive to go with the WebOS Ecosystem if half of the system isn't available?

Definitely a Fail for HPalm.
    So you're upset they didn't announce a Pixi 2 then?

If you're upset because they didn't toss out a slab, guess what the Pre 3 looks like when you close the slider. And my guess is that a virtual keyboard will at some point show up for use on the Pre 3 especially given it's screen size will be similar, slightly bigger, than the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Contradude View Post
    I know, OP. It's like they slapped the fastest single-core chip available into it. Maybe they should put a slower 1 ghz chip in it like apple?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dual core!! webOS is nice but slooow, we need extra power!
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post

Scenario: New smartphone user walks into [insert carrier name here] store. It is early summer. They want the coolest smartphone currently available. They look at the specs that are the ad bullets. They are as follows:
    Pre 3:
    • 1.4 GHz Snapdragon
    • 480x800 Resolution Display
    • 3.6 inch display
    • webOS

Generic High-End Android Device:
    • 1.5 GHz Dual-Core Tegra 2
    • 960x640 Resolution Display
    • 4.5 Inch Display
    • Android 2.4

If said smartphone user has no previous knowledge of smartphones, or computers in general, he/she will believe that the better processor will translate to a better experience, which will make a better phone.

Also, this isn't even considering the iPhone 5, which will also be out around this time.

Basically, HP needs to grow, not remain at the same place. With this release schedule, that simply isn't going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Scenario: New smartphone user walks into [insert carrier name here] store. It is early summer. They want the coolest smartphone currently available. They look at the specs that are the ad bullets. They are as follows:
    Pre 3:
    • 1.4 GHz Snapdragon
    • 480x800 Resolution Display
    • 3.6 inch display
    • webOS

Generic High-End Android Device:
    • 1.5 GHz Dual-Core Tegra 2
    • 960x640 Resolution Display
    • 4.5 Inch Display
    • Android 2.4

If said smartphone user has no previous knowledge of smartphones, or computers in general, he/she will believe that the better processor will translate to a better experience, which will make a better phone.

Also, this isn't even considering the iPhone 5, which will also be out around this time.

Basically, HP needs to grow, not remain at the same place. With this release schedule, that simply isn't going to happen.
    I pretty much agree with this, I don't know what they were thinking pretty much duplicating the launch of a device that didn't do so well in the first place(The orginal Pre). Everyone will be excited for the first couple weeks. Then "Summer" comes and it won't even be a blip.
    Release date is key in this industry. Specs are a quickly moving target. This needs to be available now if HP/Palm wants to get any significant market penetration.
    Palm is not in the tech wagging game. If their phone works fluidly the average consumer doesn't care how fast the CPU is.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast