Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    you guys sure are a little nuts...

1.4ghz for webos will make it smooth and fast, why would you need more? Because somebody has more? This is stupid! There will always be something faster better in the future, but maybe you will not. Live life today and not tomorrow
    And you sure are bad at READING other people's posts. I NEVER said 1.4 was too slow. I didn't even talk about the speed. I said the FORM-FACTOR sucked. In other words, the thickness of the device, the portrait-only slideout keyboard, the size of the screen, etc.

Please READ a post before replying.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP on most everything but the form factor part of his statement.

I think this "it must be a slate" mentality is kinda obtuse. To say the entire platform would fail because the phone has a keyboard is to say it would be success if it didn't have one? I'm sorry I don't agree with that line of reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    I agree with the OP on most everything but the form factor part of his statement.

I think this "it must be a slate" mentality is kinda obtuse. To say the entire platform would fail because the phone has a keyboard is to say it would be success if it didn't have one? I'm sorry I don't agree with that line of reasoning.

I don't think it must be a slate. But I think it would have helped them a little bit gain a little more mass appeal if they would have released a slate along side their Pre3 . All we can do is wait and see if "in the summer" this will be relevant or not. It won't be an easy thing for HP with the rate apple and android base is growing.
    I think the only people real upset about all this is the small community webOS has. If you look outside the box, I think people who dont know about webOS (which is a lot) will be intrigued by everything they had to show. A tablet that rivals the iPad, a phone about the same size as the iPhone that communicates with the tablet seamlessly. The way webOS works. If they advertise this right, they could get a lot more consumers. For us though that have been here the whole time...yeah, what they did sucks.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    The thing that no one is mentioning that will have the biggest impact on sales is this :

The HP name.

It's HUGE. They have a reputation in the industry, the name carries weight. The average Jane doesn't buy an iPhone because of the retina display or the 1ghz processor, she buys it because it's an iPhone.. it's Apple.. there's a brand recognition there. Hell I know quite a few non-computer savvy people who own various Android phones and refer to them as Droids. They don't even understand that the Android OS is used on phones that are not "droids".. they don't know CPU clock speeds, internal RAM amounts.. they have no clue what Froyo and Gingerbread are. They bought the phones because they were SOLD those phones.. their friends had them, they saw them, they liked them. End of story.

Marketing will make or break the HP Pre3, Veer and TouchPad. Plain and simple. Cool commercials highlighting the right stuff + well trained salespeople + nice looking, funtional products = sales. I have confidence that HP will be able to do what Palm did not have the financial resources to do : market the HELL out of webOS.

I, for one, will be there on Pre3 launch day with wallet-in-hand. If I have to switch carriers, so be it. I believe in webOS and I will support HP/Palm once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    The thing that no one is mentioning that will have the biggest impact on sales is this :

The HP name.

It's HUGE. They have a reputation in the industry, the name carries weight. The average Jane doesn't buy an iPhone because of the retina display or the 1ghz processor, she buys it because it's an iPhone.. it's Apple.. there's a brand recognition there. Hell I know quite a few non-computer savvy people who own various Android phones and refer to them as Droids. They don't even understand that the Android OS is used on phones that are not "droids".. they don't know CPU clock speeds, internal RAM amounts.. they have no clue what Froyo and Gingerbread are. They bought the phones because they were SOLD those phones.. their friends had them, they saw them, they liked them. End of story.

Marketing will make or break the HP Pre3, Veer and TouchPad. Plain and simple. Cool commercials highlighting the right stuff + well trained salespeople + nice looking, funtional products = sales. I have confidence that HP will be able to do what Palm did not have the financial resources to do : market the HELL out of webOS.

I, for one, will be there on Pre3 launch day with wallet-in-hand. If I have to switch carriers, so be it. I believe in webOS and I will support HP/Palm once again.

I'm starting to agree with you. After venting my rage yesterday, I'm a little more calm now. I understand all the uproar within the community, I feel the same way; but HP still still has a good chance if they market the heck out of these products, and get major dev support. Even if they need to pay them like Microsoft did with WP7. I look forward to getting a Pre 3 & TouchPad, my only concern is how it stacks up against the competition once it's released. Months = Years when it comes to technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Summer is way too long. Summer just means that they are still working out bugs.
    If you have the phone ready, you have your big announcement like they did today and you sell soon after. Summer? That's not even a date.

And what's Palms... HPs... deal with memory size? 8 gig? 16 gig?
    This is something I'm surprised I haven't seen more people talking about. I too was wondering why there wasn't 32GBs. I have 16GBs right now on my PP+. Why can't I get more on a future device?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    This is something I'm surprised I haven't seen more people talking about. I too was wondering why there wasn't 32GBs. I have 16GBs right now on my PP+. Why can't I get more on a future device?
    Im really curious what do you guys put on your phones? Im asking seriously.

I never come close to storing that much data on my phone.

Personally I feel that with more and more storage solutions moving to the cloud, I believe the trend with mobile devices is actually going to lead to less on board storage by default. However I think the manufacturer should always leave the option of expandable memory with an sd slot slot of some kind.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Look at their marketing stuff.. The Pre3 is positioned as a business phone. Better for business than iPhone if you ask me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

As far as I can see, it's still document viewing only - how is that 'positioned for business'? You can edit documents on a 70 android handset. Many businesses are starting to use google apps - the google calendar is limited to three months in the future, exhange is limited to two weeks in the past - where's the business focus in that?

This just seems more of the same as the past, this stuff is focused at whoever they are speaking to at any given moment.
  10.    #50  

Who said it had to be a slate? But a PORTRAIT slider?! Really? Does anyone other than RIM and Palm do this anymore? And only a 3.6" screen?

For a brilliant slider phone, see the Samsung Epic.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

If anything they should have never come out the Veer-away P.O.S. and went with the slider and an ultra thin slab option. Thanks to the iPhone & Android slab phones, they're very popular and virtual keyboards are much more user friendly. Now more people will have bad experiences with an underpowered Veer-away which will result in a bad experience with webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    How in the world is the "form factor" going to be outdated?
    Because slab phones are newer form factors. Lol. oh, wait a minute...
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Who said it had to be a slate? But a PORTRAIT slider?! Really? Does anyone other than RIM and Palm do this anymore? And only a 3.6" screen?

For a brilliant slider phone, see the Samsung Epic.
    And how much of that 4" screen does the virtual keyboard take up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I'm starting to agree with you. After venting my rage yesterday, I'm a little more calm now. I understand all the uproar within the community, I feel the same way; but HP still still has a good chance if they market the heck out of these products, and get major dev support. Even if they need to pay them like Microsoft did with WP7. I look forward to getting a Pre 3 & TouchPad, my only concern is how it stacks up against the competition once it's released. Months = Years when it comes to technology.
    Marketing was Palm's MAJOR downfall.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    If anything they should have never come out the Veer-away P.O.S. and went with the slider and an ultra thin slab option. Thanks to the iPhone & Android slab phones, they're very popular and virtual keyboards are much more user friendly. Now more people will have bad experiences with an underpowered Veer-away which will result in a bad experience with webOS.
    800Mhz CPU, webOS 2.1, bluetooth and wifi n band, doesn't sound like underpowered to me, especially when the dimensions are credit card size.. cept the thickness.
    Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post

The HP name.

Another great post. When you sort through the riff raff, you can find a gem.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123