Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    Live life today and not tomorrow

The problem is in webOs land we are not living in to day, or tomorrow but somewhere "this summer" and people have the right to think that it will slip even further than that given the past "comming months" history and other failed promises like flash.

I don't think the phone specs or form factor is necessarily a "fail" and the tablet looked pretty good (IF the apps are there for it) but we were told that new products announced would be available in weeks not months -- and I do count the pre2 since that was "announced" a long time ago.

Actually, just reading the blog (and I would love to hear from someone heard it live) I got the impression that it was almost; "ok we are going to hurry up and tell you the pre2 is available right away so we can say we were not lying about the ' in comming weeks' statements, now on the the real stuff that won't be available for a while...."
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    So you're upset they didn't announce a Pixi 2 then?

If you're upset because they didn't toss out a slab, guess what the Pre 3 looks like when you close the slider. And my guess is that a virtual keyboard will at some point show up for use on the Pre 3 especially given it's screen size will be similar, slightly bigger, than the iPhone.

I'm guessing the virtual keyboard is the key on this matter. It seems that HP only could bring tablet technology, and distribution "muscle", but the smartphone R&D still had to be Palm's. To develop a propper virtual keyboard for smartphones it gets to need much more manpower. I'm guessing also that TouchPad's keyboard tech relys so much on the size of the keys that couldn't be just ported to a 3.6-inch display... so the slate-phone will have to wait untill next gen of devices...
    The average consumer really doesn't care about Hp/Palm phones at all especially since they are not available (besides the limited PRE 2). I realize it must have been an impossiblity to get the phones out at this time. But I think they should have waited for the announcement.. What is the point By the time there phones are out some features will be duplicated but most consumer won't care either way because they won't be comparing there next phone to a webos phone they will be most likely comparing an android phone to an Iphone because that is all they know.
    I know that the early reports from the show said Summer for Pre3 - but the hands on article on the PreCentral page says Spring... could the Summer thing have been a misquote or a misspeak? Every 2 months would mean another phone in 2 months which would be spring.
    Palm USA | Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses says "Planned availability this summer" for Pre^3.
    I am really disappointed that the Pre^3 will not be available until this summer and who knows when it will be available in Denmark where I live. I really hoped that HP would use their international channels to sell these phones, but I guess they want the American market (and select international markets) to lead the way.

That said I can understand why HP wants to put on an event at the moment. If they didn't, the ecosystem would seem totally dead without any news for months on end. At least we have something to look forward to even if it feels Novaish and like CES 2009 all over again.

/grydholt
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Palm is not in the tech wagging game. If their phone works fluidly the average consumer doesn't care how fast the CPU is.
    They'll never know 'cause they'll never buy it. iPhone and Android are critical mass. Palm has been losing share for years now. This will ensure they will continue that under the HP moniker. They will sell Pre3s. They won't however crack the developer focus on Android and iOS. That's where HP missed the boat.
    Look at their marketing stuff.. The Pre3 is positioned as a business phone. Better for business than iPhone if you ask me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Scenario: New smartphone user walks into [insert carrier name here] store. It is early summer. They want the coolest smartphone currently available. They look at the specs that are the ad bullets. They are as follows:
    Pre 3:
    • 1.4 GHz Snapdragon
    • 480x800 Resolution Display
    • 3.6 inch display
    • webOS

Generic High-End Android Device:
    • 1.5 GHz Dual-Core Tegra 2
    • 960x640 Resolution Display
    • 4.5 Inch Display
    • Android 2.4

If said smartphone user has no previous knowledge of smartphones, or computers in general, he/she will believe that the better processor will translate to a better experience, which will make a better phone.

Also, this isn't even considering the iPhone 5, which will also be out around this time.

Basically, HP needs to grow, not remain at the same place. With this release schedule, that simply isn't going to happen.

I'm hoping retina display is still not in Android manufacturer's sight by the summer. Only a chinese Meizu? phone is featuring it. Surprisingly neither of the Android-Tegra 2 "big boys" comes with it.

And I also don't think the tegra 1.5 dual core is on production devices by that time, the current 1ghz is still an announcement

But I get your point, and I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Scenario: New smartphone user walks into [insert carrier name here] store. It is early summer. They want the coolest smartphone currently available. They look at the specs that are the ad bullets. They are as follows:
    Pre 3:
    • 1.4 GHz Snapdragon
    • 480x800 Resolution Display
    • 3.6 inch display
    • webOS

Generic High-End Android Device:
    • 1.5 GHz Dual-Core Tegra 2
    • 960x640 Resolution Display
    • 4.5 Inch Display
    • Android 2.4

If said smartphone user has no previous knowledge of smartphones, or computers in general, he/she will believe that the better processor will translate to a better experience, which will make a better phone.

Also, this isn't even considering the iPhone 5, which will also be out around this time.

Basically, HP needs to grow, not remain at the same place. With this release schedule, that simply isn't going to happen.
    Dual core 1.5GHz Tegra 2 phones are not coming till the end of the year they started sampling this quarter.

Android 2.4 "may" be great but there is no guarantee that any phone will have upgradablity. My Pre went though 10 updates in 9 months that gave it more functionality, better battery life and more speed with every update. On Android you are lucky if you can get ONE update. My Epic 4G is still struggling with android 2.1 2 months after 2.3 has been released and can not install any more programs since my 512 MB internal flash drive is full.

Android 2.2 is a "requirement" for the phone to be usable not just a wish because it is a newer operating system.

Thankfully, with iphone and Palm PRe that is not an issue (Service provided shenanigans not withstanding).
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    And what's Palms... HPs... deal with memory size? 8 gig? 16 gig?
    maybe they want to push people to use their cloud services?
    The Palm 3 and TouchPad are competitive with the iPhone 4 and iPad.

When the Palm 3 and TouchPad come out, they will be competing with the iPhone 5 and the iPad 2.

Also, by then almost all of the 43 new phones announced at CES will already be in stores.

We are also expecting a barrage of new phones next week at Mobile World Congress. And another barrage at CTIA later this spring.

Between now and the time the Palm 3 and TouchPad are in stores, will 60 new phones and tablets already be in stores?

What carriers should HP target to avoid going up against all of that?
    ATT - iPhone 5, iPad 2, 12 new Androids
    Verizon - iPhone 5, iPad 2, 13 new Androids
    T-Mobile - 6 great new Androids
    US Cellular - 5 great new Androids
    Sprint - Kyocera Echo (what were they thinking?)

Sprint is the only option I can see for Palm in the US right now.
    They needed to say the Palm 3 was definitely coming to Verizon if they wanted to steal some iphone users. And they needed to put it out soon, like in coming WEEKS, not months.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Look at their marketing stuff.. The Pre3 is positioned as a business phone. Better for business than iPhone if you ask me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Business is no longer in the driver's seat. Not in operating systems, not in web development and not in phones/tablets.

Focusing on business is so Windows XP. They'll sell tons to business centric buyers. Maybe they'll steal a few of the Blackberry users that want cool AND a physical keyboard.

That will in no way put a dent in the GLOBAL consumer demand for these devices nor will it encourage rapid app development from anyone except dedicated business apps (e.g. DocstoGo).
    Quote Originally Posted by pepitosegrilla View Post
    I'm hoping retina display is still not in Android manufacturer's sight by the summer. Only a chinese Meizu? phone is featuring it. Surprisingly neither of the Android-Tegra 2 "big boys" comes with it.

And I also don't think the tegra 1.5 dual core is on production devices by that time, the current 1ghz is still an announcement

But I get your point, and I agree
    Droid Bionic, Moto Atrix, unnamed HTC all have qHD screens, aka retina displays. more like 1.2GHz Dual cores, but still. Dual core may not be faster but it will provide much superior battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Dual core 1.5GHz Tegra 2 phones are not coming till the end of the year they started sampling this quarter.

Android 2.4 "may" be great but there is no guarantee that any phone will have upgradablity. My Pre went though 10 updates in 9 months that gave it more functionality, better battery life and more speed with every update. On Android you are lucky if you can get ONE update. My Epic 4G is still struggling with android 2.1 2 months after 2.3 has been released and can not install any more programs since my 512 MB internal flash drive is full.

Android 2.2 is a "requirement" for the phone to be usable not just a wish because it is a newer operating system.

Thankfully, with iphone and Palm PRe that is not an issue (Service provided shenanigans not withstanding).
    I know that Tegra 2 won't make it to 1.5 GHz for a while; it was simply a way to state my point. Perhaps Orion, or something of that nature instead.

I don't expect Android 2.4 to be great (and, frankly, neither does anyone else). However, to the normal consumer, Android 2.4 looks (with no view of the actual OS itself) like it would be an improvement over webOS 2.1. Yes, that mentality is completely flawed, but it's how it works.

I understand your frustration with Android, but let me ask you this: if you never knew that 2.2 and 2.3 were out, would you be happy with 2.1? Most people would say, "yes." Geeks, like us, would absolutely say no, even if the updates aren't huge.

My point is that normal consumers don't take the time to research a smartphone purchase like they should. They walk into a store and look at specs, which is something that Android has yet to be beat on. The iPhone gets away with it because they are Apple, and therefore are able to use their 'Apple halo.' That 'halo' makes the specs irrelevant; the phone is smooth, and it works great.

I hope all of that made sense, in some strange way.
    Made me sad that they will release in 5 months or so like original Pre release. Droid 3 may be out before that.
    one more reason to look forward to summer!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    All HP has to do to spark up interest again is close to product availabilty, hold another press conference. Show new features, by then there is bound to be more Killer Apps/Developer's on-board. Give a new demo of touchstone and that bump sync thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Business is no longer in the driver's seat. Not in operating systems, not in web development and not in phones/tablets.

Focusing on business is so Windows XP. They'll sell tons to business centric buyers. Maybe they'll steal a few of the Blackberry users that want cool AND a physical keyboard.

That will in no way put a dent in the GLOBAL consumer demand for these devices nor will it encourage rapid app development from anyone except dedicated business apps (e.g. DocstoGo).
    Do you have a Blackberry that your company makes you use? Do you play Angry Birds on it? Angry Birds for Blackberry [PIC]

Okay, do you use an Alienware comp to play games? Does your company use an Alienware for its desktop comps?

Well, what if you have an enterprise device that can also play games and be a top social media device?

You make a groovy, hipster phone, and a groovy hipster will buy it.

You make the same phone, but with enterprise capabilities and an open platform, sell it to your huge channel partners and corporations will buy thousands of them.

If focusing on business is so XP, why aren't banks, law firms, and manufacturers routinely running their enterprises off of Apple products? I'm waiting...
    Last edited by blinktreo; 02/09/2011 at 09:15 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast