Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 18 ... LastLast
    I am diggin it.... I will get one if it comes to Sprint.

Two things I wanted but didn't get:
    1. much more storage OR a microSD slot
    2. Sooner ship date.

I loved the pre and still carry launch day one. I prefer webOS over all other phone OSs I have tried. This is nearly exactly what I wanted.

I also wish they would have made a stupid slab so people would shut up about it already. The iphone has approximately the same sized display (I think the iphone4 has a 3.7" display vs the pre3 at 3.5"). All HP did was make a slab sized phone and made it have severely rounded corners like the original pre. If you want the same screen size in a more blocky phone there are plenty of options - this stands out. Which is what everyone keeps saying HP has to do - differentiate itself from the iphone.

Anyway, I like it. I think if hp does a good job with marketing, which they will, and they get it out in spring rather than summer, this phone stands a chance of being a very big seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by KottyKing View Post
    Good to see you adding to the thread with your great insight!!!! "Just buy a slim ipod and camera" How about I dont want to shell out 300 for an ipod and 200 for a camera and have to wear a fanny pack?
    Wouldn't it make more sense for you to go to ipodcentral.net and complain to Apple for not making an iPod that allows you to make calls and record video on it?...

...oh, wait...
    Yeah I have to agree, 16GB isn't much space. I'm still on a Pre minus from Sprint. Disappointed that it's not a 4G phone for Sprint but I'll get it nonetheless. My old Pre is on its last leg and this Pre3 is leaps and bounds better than my minus.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    The Pre 3 can be considered as the HP business phone. HP wants the enterprise market bad, and they are definitely going hard. The specs aren't the greatest, but WAY better than the Pre 2, which already ran the OS decently, and 100 times better than my original Pre. Make the screen bigger, keep a physical keyboard but make it bigger, add video conferencing, add world phone capability, and keep the BEST Multitasking OS known to man(with added features), and you can now compete with running Blackberry out of the ecosystem!! This is what they want first, and they will bring more "consumer" styled products as they grow the enterprise side. I think overall they did it right. I'm impressed in the device integration from phone to tablet, and that makes the OS even more compelling now. Whether that'll be enough to want a Pre 3, not sure, but I definitely want the awesome HP TouchPad, and getting the phone would just make it easier to build a great ecosystem. It'll be tablet first for me, and hopefully superphone later on if they truly bring it.
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm amazed that they would announce the Pre 2 on sale from Verizon and then Pre 3 for a few months later.
    I'm guessing that has more to do with Verizon.
    Not enough to make me leave Sprint if they do not offer it. Not overly impressed & it will be less impressive by the time it hits the market - 4 months is too long. I'm not yet due to upgrade so I'll just see what my choices are on Sprint when the time comes. My gut says that HP dropped the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrolf View Post
    It doesn't matter what I think. If Sprint doesn't support them anymore then I will be getting a different phone. I really hate the idea of not having something WebOS but switching to another carrier is not an option.
    Same here but I'll be sticking with my original WebOS Palm Pre ...if Pre 3 doesn't come to sprint.
    I'm fine with it. It has pretty much anything I could need/want in a phone. Unlike others, I'm not interested in a slab. The timing of the release in relation to the announcement is not good though. I can't imagine there will be much/any excitement left by the time it's actually released. Apple will surely be announcing some different things between now and then. I thought Leo essentially promised that HP wasn't going to do the "coming months" thing anymore. In any event, it doesn't affect me b/c I'm not upgrading until 12/11 anyway.
    I can't wait to get this and the Touchpad.
    I'll be impressed when WebOS 2.0 comes out for my pre minus...why was it not released today!?
    Great points - and of course there was the CEO comments about the March 15th event (where the cloud integration will likely be announced). The 7" tab, slab phone, and WebOS Watch & rollup display are still out there to be announced... This was a great first round of announcemnts, the new hardware every 2 months quote is still out there too so I'm happy as a clam!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i don't think you understand that the people that love the pre represent an extremely small and almost invisible portion of the smartphone market. And if HP wants to make a profit off it's phones it can't appeal only to them. right now it does.
    Your statement makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever...

How, in this universe or the next, does HP limiting storage space to 16gb mean that they're appealing only to "people that love the Pre"?...as opposed to making a more affordable phone in an attempt to EXPAND their userbase?...

Please, by all means, try to answer this...I want to be entertained...
  13. Evansgw
    I am reasonably impressed by the Pre3. The veer on the other hand is not very good, spec wise it is great for such a small phone, but it looks rubbish.

They should have listened to the market and added a slab to the line up. That's what I was waiting for.

Can I wait until the summer? Probably. Can my wife? No. Her phone is dead and she wouldnt want the veer.

It seems the veered off in the wrong direction.
    i like mii, highly impressed...
    I have been eligible for an upgrade for a couple months and have been waiting for today. Although I like the specs, I am disappointed with both the form factor and the “summer” availability. I was hoping for a slightly bigger slab or at least something different than the Pre's that are already out. Not everyone likes the same form factor – let's give us some real choices.

Love the tablet and will almost certainly purchase one when it is available but a new Palm phone... not so sure. I know that it is silly because the software is what really matters but I was really hoping for something... different.
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    I'll be impressed when WebOS 2.0 comes out for my pre minus...why was it not released today!?
    Ya, what's the hold up??
    Seems great.
    better camera, better processor, bigger screen, better sensors, bigger physical keyboard and there will be a virtual keyboard, front camera
    Don't need anymore then 16gb of memory as the cloud will provide everything else that is needed.
    It's a phone, who cares that the resolution isn't the best on the market. Christ I can guarantee you none of you can tell the difference in 720 and 1080 resolution on a tv smaller then 30 inches. If you say you can, you are lying.
    on a side note everything they are doing with webos is sick! The touch to share etc. I like a lot. Putting it on a pc would be great also. How sick will it be when every hp laptop ships with webos integration and my envy get it in an update. I want to be able to tap my phone on my envy 14 and bam its on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakabp View Post
    I have been eligible for an upgrade for a couple months and have been waiting for today. Although I like the specs, I am disappointed with both the form factor and the “summer” availability. I was hoping for a slightly bigger slab or at least something different than the Pre's that are already out. Not everyone likes the same form factor – let's give us some real choices.

Love the tablet and will almost certainly purchase one when it is available but a new Palm phone... not so sure. I know that it is silly because the software is what really matters but I was really hoping for something... different.
    Too bad, cause you won't be able to get the advantage of full integration between the two. But I guess as long as you have a "slab" shaped phone that's all that matters. (rolls eyes by the way)
    Hi, all,

I'm very impressed...keep in mind that I still have a Centro on V, (my contract ran out last Oct). I will be getting a Pre 3 when they for up for sale!

Points to ponder

...for those of you who are complaining about the lack of 4G...keep this in mind,....the vast majority of the country doesn't have 4G service and you are still being charged for it....all you will be paying for is bragging rights...with the economy as it is, I'd rather spend my $ on an actual product or service.

(Please see the article I have posted below, the link is listed with a news video as well).

I will be happy to have a 4G phone when the system is up and running all over the place....

However, in the Orlando FL area, there was a big expose on it the other day...rigjht now the phone cell providers are hosing the public....charging for vapor service...

I don't want 4G in name only...I am willing to pay for it if it is available...however, why should I HAVE to pay for 4G service, b/c my phone is capable of it, but not in my area???????

Frankly, I will glad wait for 4G service to arrive in my area and then get a 4G phone..otherwise you are paying $120 a year per phone for 4G pricing for 3G service......(so many cell contracts are 2 years, so that is $240 that you are flushing down the toilet, for frankly nothing more than lip service from the cell providers).

Take care,

Jay

4G: Myth Vs. Reality
    New Standard For Speed Not Actually A Standard

POSTED: Monday, February 7, 2011
    UPDATED: 8:19 am EST February 8, 2011

4G: Myth Vs. Reality - Technology News Story - WKMG Orlando

ORLANDO, Fla. -- In an informal survey conducted by Local 6 about wireless carriers and network speed, few consumers could truly define what the wireless industry today is calling 4G. The ubiquitous TV commercials tout it as the latest, fastest technology available for smartphones. Every carrier has its version of 4G. The key word is "version" because, according to Local 6 research, no carrier actually meets the standard set by the International Telecommunication Union for 4G technology.

VIDEO: Cell Service Test

3G (the current network speed with uniform standards) and 4G refer to how fast a cellular device can move information (i.e. browsing the Internet, downloading or uploading e-mail attachments, photos, and videos). The wireless industry is selling consumers on the idea that a 4G network will perform faster than the 3G network that is widely used today. The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), which sets the standard for the industry, officially set the criteria for 4G speed at 100 megabits per second. The ITU recognized only two candidate technologies, LTE-Advanced and WirelessMAN-Advanced that, according to specs, can reach those speeds.

Currently, those technologies exist as specs only. Neither technology has been fully developed and applied. Consequently, no wireless carrier today is operating at 4G speeds as defined by the ITU.

So, why are most, if not all, wireless carriers saying they offer 4G?

According to Perry LaForge, Executive Director of CDMA Development Group, a company that helped set up the global 3G network, the ITU came under pressure from the wireless industry to water down the standards. In fact, a month after the ITU defined 4G as 100 megabits per second, it announced that 3G networks with a "substantial level of improvement" could also be called 4G. "People are calling everything 4G at this point," LaForge said. "The ITU did make it significantly nebulous by saying we will allow other 3G technologies that show improvement."

That may explain why carriers are blasting the airwaves with all those commercials promising the fastest 4G network. The truth is actually in the fine print. The fine print reveals to consumers exactly how each carrier defines 4G now since LTE-Advanced and WirelessMAN-Advanced are not available. In reality, consumers would have to buy a new phone now to use what the industry is calling 4G and then another phone when real 4G is achieved. "This stuff is just more of a matter of marketing gone haywire," LaForge said.

LaForge told Local 6 that a true 4G, 100 megabit per second data speed, should be available within a three-to-four-year time frame. In the meantime, LaForge said consumers who are shopping for faster data rates should make sure there is actual coverage in their areas for the so-called 4G being offered by their providers. Consumers should also check that their devices can connect to the 4G network, as coverage is not consistent throughout North America.

Copyright 2011 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 18 ... LastLast