Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    BB Torch has a 3.2 inch screen, about same as original Pre. This has a 3.6 in screen, again BIGGER than the best selling ... (IPHONE.)

And?

It still shows that it's not what people are interested in.

People still buy 3.6 slabs and landscape sliders all day long..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    And?

It still shows that it's not what people are interested in.

People still buy 3.6 slabs and landscape sliders all day long..
    So it's just the fact it's portrait. Ok, to which I simply say close the slider and now you have a 3.6 in slab that you just said sells all day long.
    So it's just the fact it's portrait. Ok, to which I simply say close the slider and now you have a 3.6 in slab that you just said sells all day long.
    Lol yes !! It does :

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    If I cannot "write" on the screen I want a keyboard. To ME a slab is useless. I had the slabs before - with virtual keyboards but I primarily used "graffitti" to enter information. Hated the virtual keyboard - still do. Obviously I'm referring to the PDA that the smartphone replaced. I hated the first marriage of PDA and smartphone HTC 6600?? - big screen - big unit. I still want to carry my phone in my pocket - even if I do carry a briefcase and purse. The EVO is just too big.

Its evolution - remember when phones were huge - then they got thinner and smaller - the "best" phone was the Razor perhaps? Only geeks carried that huge HTC 6600. Business people carried BB and maybe Treos. Now it is trending back to huge but thin form factor.

I'm am very pleased that the Pre3 still retains its form factor since I like the portrait keyboard. (no I don't think that HP made the phone specifically for me) I have been eligible for a new phone since 6/2010 but I have no need to replace my Pre. Even though the original Pre is perceived to have its faults, it still does what I need it to do - phone, PIM, etc.

I would like to have the Pre3 on Sprint mainly so I can replace my Pre when it finally does become non functioning. Would I immediately replace my Pre with a new one? Depends on how the old one is functioning at launch - its a need if the old one i dying - its a want if the original is perfectly good. Now if HP wants to compensate me for not supporting my original Pre with updates - then I would be agreeable to getting a new Pre3 sooner.

I have noticed that on the forums - it is rare that users keep the same equipment for any length of time. (I am guilty of that with the last 2 phone purchases.) We are a nation of consumer consumption - we just have to have the latest and greatest of everything. Just reading the comments here just reinforces this fact - the phone which used to be just in the car for emergencies now has to do everything - hd movies, stream video, pretty much everything except make coffee. Sigh - I'm getting old. :>)
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartersfarm View Post
    Great points - and of course there was the CEO comments about the March 15th event (where the cloud integration will likely be announced). The 7" tab, slab phone, and WebOS Watch & rollup display are still out there to be announced... This was a great first round of announcemnts, the new hardware every 2 months quote is still out there too so I'm happy as a clam!
    Outside of the March 15 event, the rest of your post was a realization for me. I had totally forgot about those hints/announcements, especially dealing with the WebOS watch & roll up display and the new hardware every two months. Thanks, Cartersfarm, and here's hoping that in the "coming months" HP announces more products and plans in the pipeline.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why would we believe the "every two months" claim? Leo has already been shown to either be misguided about his company's capabilities or a liar.

The every two months claim makes no sense anyway, so, in April, they announce a slab - this is going to ship before the Pre3? If it's going to ship before the Pre3, why isn't it announced already.

If they are capable of such a timescale, why is the Pre3 "coming this summer"?
    Definitely not blown away. Actually kind of disappointed.

I've been a Pre Minus owner for the last 18 mos (longest I've ever held onto one phone) and was expecting a lot more.

One thing is for sure - if Sprint doesn't get it, then I might jump to the "other side" (Android)....OR I might just hang on to this Pre Minus until it frys (from being overclocked).
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Dude, who knows how this thing will sell. We just want to understand the logic of, "Oh.... it HAS to be a slab" or "it HAS to have a bigger screen." Tell us why you think so? We just hear, FAIL, FAIL, FAIL because of some spec, but show other success with that same "detriment." One guys just said it HAD to be a thin slab. Fine, but BB sells a LOT of phone that are NOT thin slabs. That doesn't mean failure!

Explain.

What a lot of people are trying to say is the form thing is not a big issue anymore on the Pre3. It may NOT sell, but that won't be the reason why.

One guys just said it HAD to be a thin slab. Fine, but BB and Android sells a LOT of phones that are NOT thin slabs. That doesn't mean failure!
    Okay, I'll explain.

First, I happen to like a portrait slider. If the Pre 3 were available on Sprint, for any price up to about $400, I would be over at the Sprint store right now buying it.

But I recognize that lots of people like slabs. They like that they are slim and sexy. They like that they have no moving parts to break. (And many people had "oreo" troubles with the Pre, although I haven't.) Maybe thye just like the way it feels in their hand. Whatever, lots of people like it.

So, while I am happy they announced the Pre3, I wish they had simultaneouly annouced a large skinny slab. WebOS desperately needs volume to attract developers, and to get volume, you need multiple form factors. Even the Pixi, unappealing as it was to me, was at least a second form factor.

I can only hope they release a slab in two months. Although, by then, perhaps I'll be an Android user and not care.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why would we believe the "every two months" claim? Leo has already been shown to either be misguided about his company's capabilities or a liar.

The every two months claim makes no sense anyway, so, in April, they announce a slab - this is going to ship before the Pre3? If it's going to ship before the Pre3, why isn't it announced already.

If they are capable of such a timescale, why is the Pre3 "coming this summer"?
    My best guess is that there was some last-minute kerfuffle in finalizing the contract with a carrier, but it was too late for them to back out of showing off the gadgets. But I bet the phone and the stock software are ready to go, and they didn't realize until after that unfortunate claim that they wouldn't be able to sell it in a couple of weeks.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I really like the new Pre 3. I like the form of my Pre Plus so this new one makes me happy. Not to mention has anyone noticed how slim and clean they managed to make the much bigger Pre 3. Looks very high quality. I definitely appreciate the matte finish and slim lines of the machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    i Can deal with keeping a Pre 2. The new line up I'm pretty impressed with - all that "touch to sync data between devices" i think that is great.

Good luck to Apple beating this!
    Apple has been doing this through apps - get your facts straight.

it might actually benefit you to USE an iphone instead of just talking as if you did
    The Pre3 would've been interesting, but not until SUMMER??? Really Guys? The worst part about it, you're not even installing a 4G chip? So by this summer, virtually every smart phone on Verizon will be using the LTE network and you'll still be selling a CDMA only version of your phone? Why again would I want to buy an outdated phone that now I can't do data and talk at the same time or get incredibly fast download/upload speeds? Again, what are you thinking HP? Do you actually THINK before you make decisions?
    anyome that doesn't think they will be impressed should reserve judgement until they've had a chance to hold it, type on it, and see the screen.

there were plenty of iPhones and droids there for comparison. I thought the Pre3 compared very nicely. I preferred the slightly smaller screen compared to droid, and I don't think any of them looked better than the Pre3. Didn't have a chance to compare them running video or games. But, for the things I use (PIM apps and browser) it looks great.

I expect them to add a larger device to the lineup for those that like the >4" screens. However, when I saw how well this thing works with the touchpad, I saw no reason for a larger phone.

the Pre3 is the phone most of us have been asking for. I am impressed.
    ps, if palm does add a >4" phone and/or slab, I think that will happen along with (or shortly after) launching the tablet. I say that because most of the stuff they are doing for webOS on the touchpad would need to be on a slab phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    Okay, I'll explain.

First, I happen to like a portrait slider. If the Pre 3 were available on Sprint, for any price up to about $400, I would be over at the Sprint store right now buying it.

But I recognize that lots of people like slabs. They like that they are slim and sexy. They like that they have no moving parts to break. (And many people had "oreo" troubles with the Pre, although I haven't.) Maybe thye just like the way it feels in their hand. Whatever, lots of people like it.

So, while I am happy they announced the Pre3, I wish they had simultaneouly annouced a large skinny slab. WebOS desperately needs volume to attract developers, and to get volume, you need multiple form factors. Even the Pixi, unappealing as it was to me, was at least a second form factor.

I can only hope they release a slab in two months. Although, by then, perhaps I'll be an Android user and not care.

My best guess is that there was some last-minute kerfuffle in finalizing the contract with a carrier, but it was too late for them to back out of showing off the gadgets. But I bet the phone and the stock software are ready to go, and they didn't realize until after that unfortunate claim that they wouldn't be able to sell it in a couple of weeks.
    See, that argument I agree with. However, that is not what people have been saying; ie portrait = fail, etc. If the only difference is thiness with the slider closed, that is no THAT big of a deal given all things being equal (ie screeen size).

Let me point out however, many androids are not slabs (ex Epic) and the non-slabs sell well over there. Now I know Apple is a unique case, but they don't get volume by multiple forms. How many people won't go iphone because they don't like virtual keyboards?. I guess while more forms = volume, the Pre3 is up to par so given all other things equivalent, people will give it a chance. It just needs a second look, like Android did.

What I think is HP plans a Touchpad (integration) , printer, HP webos on the PC slaught tHat will give the phones that chance. They seem to be targeting people who have not gotten into the smartphone market, midlife with kids. I teach some college classes... Just about every kid has a Ipod touch, but they're cell phoneis someone else that their parents use. Enter the Veer for the entry level kid phone that does most stuff kids the youngest users would want. As the kids get older, Pre3's can get them top notch specs, not to mention touchpads. I don't think it's a surprise many people that age haven't switched to smartphones AND they for sure the first time don't want a virtual keyboard.

I can see the HP angle now though. Picture they parents in the store, saying, "So the calendars integrate, and they all integrate with my desktop and printer? What do you have for a 13 yr old, a 17 yr old and a college freshman?"

It's pretty damn good. Apple had the ipod angle, but that is gone. HP is playing for the long term and HAS to take a different angle. I think the phones pretty much tell that they're aren't trying to convert, they're aiming at new smartphone users. They do need volume to keep up, or really catch up with apps, but that is the advantage with time. Android took a while for the apps, but once it was close, and the phones got close, AND google picked it's spot for a marketing sunami (Droid does), it worked. HP is picking they're time after they get all the pieces in place for their UNIQUE angle. It's not ready for a droid does campaign, but is is sure getting close. You just don't want to get that second look and blow it. Also, we haven't seen what they are going to do with developers to get them over either.

And like I said, volume will be helped by the Touchpad before all they're angles kick in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Are you people really going to try to delude yourselves, and others, into the idea that the complaints are just coming from a select few?

Really...?

Wow.....

No dude. Not at all.

You'll see with sales...whenever the release the Pre 3...who knows when that is...and on what carrier..
    No, i'm trying to say that there are more than likely many more impressed people then there are upset ones. the only people who are angry are current webOS users who were hoping for an update. there arent many webOS users in the first place. So when you consider all of the people who watched the event, how many of them would be effected by this news? most people walked away impressed...
    I'd bet against that. The general consensus seemed to be that of underwhelmed due to the hardware being behind all the android dual core 4" plus phones that have been floating around since before CES. Some of them coming out a bit sooner than the Pre3. And there was not a large number of users posting here that were angry about the old gens not getting the update. That was left for a few vocal posters. I wish my Pre got 2.x, but in the end it was going to be stellar new hardware bringing me back and not an update to a POS 1st gen Pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    To those saying, don't knock it till you try it, well derp!

I know webOS, I've been using it for more than a year now, I know it will run well on the darn device. What I am complaining about is:

Exhibit A: The fact that these devices won't be available for as much as 4 to 6 months, completely ruins it!

Exhibit B: Everyone has been chomping at the bit for a new slab type device for months/year. Yet again, Palm gives a keyboarded device, how lame for them to not listen to their fan base, again. Not saying that you can't use the new device as a "slab", just that it's going to be much thicker than your standard slab because of the keyboard, which is no-good-mojo.
    The fan base chose a keyboard device last year as their fav. of mock ups. The second was a slab, and the third wad a keyboard device similar to the Pre 3.

And in their defense, we are getting the Veer sooner. That looks like an OK device.
    and wasn't the mockup slider a 4" one and a lot nicer looking than the actual Pre 3?

The Veer is a lame attempt at updating the pixi. The pixi was treated as a 2nd class beginner phone and the Veer is too. No always there keyboard ala treo/pixi. smaller battery. slightly smaller screen with the same res. lame onboard memory. Yet another under spec'd phone. God forbid the smaller phone get something close to premier phone specs, which was many people's reaction to the Pixi. If they added a touch of width and minimized the bezel they could fit a 3.6" screen and maintain a similar footprint to the Pixi. Give it real ram choices and a better battery and call it a day. Instead you get an underwhelming mini-pre.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    not blown away...and this isnt something im gonna show my friends and they will be impressed, but i still think i'm gonna get it this summer.

I would have liked a bigger, hi-res screen...but i would rather stick with webOS than switch to a bigger-screened Android.

this is all assuming that the Pre3 will be on Sprint. Hoping it gets the 4G WIMAX treatment too.
    No doubt about that, same here. Android is good, but WebOS is the absolute best. I just hope the quality is there. I hope it won't be buggy as hell. And I really wonder why the need for the world's fastest smartphone CPU, the 1.4GHz one? Is it because WebOS 2.2 is a resource hog and needs the extra strength? I hope not. I hope HP isn't one of those companies that says, "It's good enough, ship it".

I guess time will tell. Gonna be keeping all 3 eyes widely peeled on the reviews and comments of this phone.
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021