Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 419
  1. #381  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    To those saying, don't knock it till you try it, well derp!

    I know webOS, I've been using it for more than a year now, I know it will run well on the darn device. What I am complaining about is:

    Exhibit A: The fact that these devices won't be available for as much as 4 to 6 months, completely ruins it!

    Exhibit B: Everyone has been chomping at the bit for a new slab type device for months/year. Yet again, Palm gives a keyboarded device, how lame for them to not listen to their fan base, again. Not saying that you can't use the new device as a "slab", just that it's going to be much thicker than your standard slab because of the keyboard, which is no-good-mojo.
    I can agree with exhibit A, on exhibit B, not sure who your everyone is, but I for one love the Pre 3 and look forward to other devices HP stated they will deliever in 2011. 6-7 devices, we got 3 today, so that slab will hopefully show up soon for many here.
  2. #382  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Because it is more of the same.
    Why couldn't they preview phones people wanted?
    The same ol same ol form factors are not what people want.

    Slabs are RUNNING the table for very good reasons.
    Slabs are running the table?!?!?! Lets go through the form factor argument for once and for all.

    Sure the EVO and others have a big screens, but the iphone is still top dog with a 3.5 inch screen. The Pre 3 has a 3.6 in screen, so the extra .5 inches is obviously not enough to keep the iphone from being number one so it couldn't hold back the Pre3. Sure, maybe there is a group that just wants the extra .5 inches, but lets not make make that seems larger than it is and forget that everyone who buys the iphone decided that .5 in wasn't a deal breaker.

    Ok, but the best sellers (disregarding the size argument above) are all slabs. Simple solution..... if you want a slab, close the slider on a Pre3 and you have a slab that is BIGGER THAN THE BEST SELLING SLAB (Iphone)!!!! Seriously.

    There is no rule that says you have to open the keyboard (either if it comes with the virtual or you get it via homebrew). Ok, then the Pre3 isnt as slim as the iphone when closed, prob not a deal breaker. (In fact, there are a LOT of people who have cell phones who don't yet have a smartphone, and I'd bet given the choice, more would chose physical keyboard vs thickness on their first foray into smartphone land.)

    Seriously, the form factor argument runs out now that the screen matches the size of the best selling phone out there and it can be a slab by just closing it.

    Sure, you need mindshare and traction, the form isn't that new, and that won't gain mindshare for some.... we all get that. I think people think if its not fresh, the Pre3 won't get a fair look by consumers. I think that is what bothers people... its not a radical enough change see a new trend or get some peoples attention. There is some truth to that argument. But change for change sake isn't always good and even though mindshare is so critical, it can be done in other ways. HP obviously feels they can get that in other ways, and if you ask me the Touchpad may be that doorway, especially considering the integration.

    I know, its about the same as the ipad generally..... but picture someone going to a verizon store that is not that nerdy about all the new stuff, but hears the general conversation about the latest and greatest, which I believe is going to be the bulk of customers for a while. They see the iphone 4 and ipad combo. Very nice, as advertised ... the standard. Like any good consumer they ask about other choices, enter the Pre3 and Touchpad. What do they see? Same basic screen sizes, but MUCH better integration.... touch to share and a very intuitive UI that is easy to see how it multitasks .... better UI to even the novice customer. Android style..... same: phones and pad devices. More phone choices for sure, but they're all made by different hardware companies, and the integration and profile don't integrate either. Basically, about no integration. Which looks the "coolest" now?

    And before you say it, everyone isnt going to get a tablet, I know. But you know everyone buying a phone will want to play around with its big brother just to see how "cool" the whole lineup and system can be. Tell me who is going in to look at an Iphone and doesnt take a minute to check out the Ipad too, even if they know they can't get one? People are going to look at the whole range of devices in the line up, even if they are just buying one, to get a feel for what they are buying into. And I can see HPALM looking pretty good with the consumer after the test drive of the main devices in each lineup and its integration. Give it some time, and throw in a webOS printer (toaster).... its going to have some serious cool factor as a family. And while the Pre3 isn't the device to open that door, its not going to be a weak link in the chain when you give it a fair look. And if your getting people to give it a fair look, by default your giving yourself the chance to get that mindshare that you've been hoping for.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 02/09/2011 at 11:40 PM.
  3. #383  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Your correct, except there arent really that many of them, its the same few who seem to spam this site on every thread, with many posts, with the same lines.
    And the sprint page on facebook too. Similar comments here from people with similar usernames/facebook names. Trolls travel, I guess.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  4. #384  
    I have a legitimate question for those who want a slab. From what is said about the pre 3, it is thinner then the pre 2, which is supposidly (if i remember correctly) slightly thinner then the pre 1, which also was noted for having a pretty slim form factor for a keyboarded device. This leads me to wonder, why is having the option of a keyboard and vkb (highly believe one will be available) such a turn off? Isnt having two options better then one? Its surely cost effecient to only produce one. Rather then two of the same type one with a keyblard one without. If its one of the thinest keyboarded phones does the slight extra. Bulk mean that much? ( from looks of it i really do mean slight because ive seen a few slabs that are not much smaller) i really do understand people have their own wants i am honestly just curious why so much distrout against having a keyboard. It would have been worse if they didnt have the keyboard as the device would not really cator towards business as well as this will and they managed to make it thinner then the pre 2 which is awesome. I am impressed. It seems like hp is not just concentrated on specs, but on an ecosystem which is one reason apple is on top. I am more disapointed in the lack of enthusiasm from the webos community
  5. #385  
    I want the thinness. The iPhone 4 is almost half-again as thin as this device, which is its major malfunction in my opinion. Throw out the keyboard so that I can actually not have a brick in my pocket!
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
  6. #386  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Your correct, except there arent really that many of them, its the same few who seem to spam this site on every thread, with many posts, with the same lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    And the sprint page on facebook too. Similar comments here from people with similar usernames/facebook names. Trolls travel, I guess.
    I can highly recommend the 'ignore' facility of the user profile. Improves my P|C experience greatly. Now if people would stop quoting them, they'd be completely gone from my world.
  7. #387  
    I don't know.

    I like the Pre form factor. I like the physical keyboard too.

    I want definite info on carriers, price, shipping dates and whether or not it will support 4G.
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
  8. ermir4's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #388  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I have a legitimate question for those who want a slab. From what is said about the pre 3, it is thinner then the pre 2, which is supposidly (if i remember correctly) slightly thinner then the pre 1, which also was noted for having a pretty slim form factor for a keyboarded device. This leads me to wonder, why is having the option of a keyboard and vkb (highly believe one will be available) such a turn off? Isnt having two options better then one? Its surely cost effecient to only produce one. Rather then two of the same type one with a keyblard one without. If its one of the thinest keyboarded phones does the slight extra. Bulk mean that much? ( from looks of it i really do mean slight because ive seen a few slabs that are not much smaller) i really do understand people have their own wants i am honestly just curious why so much distrout against having a keyboard. It would have been worse if they didnt have the keyboard as the device would not really cator towards business as well as this will and they managed to make it thinner then the pre 2 which is awesome. I am impressed. It seems like hp is not just concentrated on specs, but on an ecosystem which is one reason apple is on top. I am more disapointed in the lack of enthusiasm from the webos community
    Your whole argument is wrong. I challenge you to find me a smartphone with a keyboard introduced in 2010 or 2011 that is slimmer than the Pre 3. I doesn't exist. Lets take them one by one:
    HP Pre 3: 111 x 64 x 16 mm
    Dell venue Pro: 122 x 63.5 x 15.2 mm
    BB Torch: 111 x 62 x 14.6 mm
    Nokia E7: 123.7 x 62.4 x 13.6 mm
    HTC G2: 119 x 60.4 x 14.2 mm
    LG Quantum: 119.5 x 59.5 x 15.2 mm

    So it is not the slimmest keyboarded phone as you claim. As a matter of fact is the thickest at 16mm even though its the latest introduced. And please don't even compare it to the slabs which are 12mm thick at best. It looks like a brick compared to them. So do some research before you make such claims next time.
  9. damarble's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #389  
    The Pre form factor is by far the best to me. I must have a physical keyboard, and having the vertical slider is nice for one handed typing. I'm more than pleased they still offer it in the Pre 3, I was worried they WOULD convert to slabs.
  10. #390  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    And the sprint page on facebook too. Similar comments here from people with similar usernames/facebook names. Trolls travel, I guess.
    vocal minority... you'll find that humans are generally more interested in being heard when they are upset.

    i'm extremely pleased by everything i've seen today, yet have had no urge to visit palms facebook page... go figure...
  11. #391  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    And the sprint page on facebook too. Similar comments here from people with similar usernames/facebook names. Trolls travel, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    vocal minority... you'll find that humans are generally more interested in being heard when they are upset.

    i'm extremely pleased by everything i've seen today, yet have had no urge to visit palms facebook page... go figure...
    Are you people really going to try to delude yourselves, and others, into the idea that the complaints are just coming from a select few?

    Really...?

    Wow.....

    No dude. Not at all.

    You'll see with sales...whenever the release the Pre 3...who knows when that is...and on what carrier..
  12. #392  
    Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Here's what everyone is PO'd about. No, what I'm PO'd about. I've been limping on with subpar hardware since I bought my launch day plus. I've put up with the worst keyboard I've ever been faced with, because I love this OS. And there have been promises. Oh have there been promises. Like 2.x, like flash, like yeah, we know we've always over promised and under delivered and we aren't going to do that anymore. Promise.
    Well, guess what. WRONG. The reason WebOS was named the best mobile OS in the laptop mag poll, is because of a rabid fanbase, and they just got crapped on. Again. They don't like it.
    Actually, I'd have been fine waiting for "the coming months" yet again, if they'd have given me a nugget. Especially after they told me I was going to get a nugget.

    THIS. I dont mind the keyboard though. Honestly, im mostly p****ed about the release date. "In the coming months" has put a sour taste in my vocabulary. Pretty soon when I refer to something along those lines Ill have to say "In the coming moons".. but that will probably remind me of the former.

    *feck*

    With this release date, questionable carriers, and the flat out California Howdy to the very people (us) that kept WebOS in existence, HP totally screwed the pooch on this one.
  13. #393  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

    Why are so many of you so fast to condemn the new phones without even trying them????
    I've never slept with a one legged fat girl. I know i don't want to though.
  14. #394  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Are you people really going to try to delude yourselves, and others, into the idea that the complaints are just coming from a select few?

    Really...?

    Wow.....

    No dude. Not at all.

    You'll see with sales...whenever the release the Pre 3...who knows when that is...and on what carrier..
    Dude, who knows how this thing will sell. We just want to understand the logic of, "Oh.... it HAS to be a slab" or "it HAS to have a bigger screen." Tell us why you think so? We just hear, FAIL, FAIL, FAIL because of some spec, but show other success with that same "detriment." One guys just said it HAD to be a thin slab. Fine, but BB sells a LOT of phone that are NOT thin slabs. That doesn't mean failure!


    Explain.

    What a lot of people are trying to say is the form thing is not a big issue anymore on the Pre3. It may NOT sell, but that won't be the reason why.

    One guys just said it HAD to be a thin slab. Fine, but BB and Android sells a LOT of phones that are NOT thin slabs. That doesn't mean failure!
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 02/10/2011 at 05:36 AM.
  15. #395  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    Dude, who knows how this thing will sell. We just want to understand the logic of, "Oh.... it HAS to be a slab" or "it HAS to have a bigger screen." Tell us why you think so? We just hear, FAIL, FAIL, FAIL because of some spec, but show other success with that same "detriment." One guys just said it HAD to be a thin slab. Fine, but BB sells a LOT of phone that are NOT thin slabs. That doesn't mean failure!


    Explain.

    What a lot of people are trying to say is the form thing is not a big issue anymore on the Pre3. It may NOT sell, but that won't be the reason why.

    One guys just said it HAD to be a thin slab. Fine, but BB sells a LOT of phone that are NOT thin slabs. That doesn't mean failure!
    Blackberry is a completely different audience....a DYING audience by the way...so let's not compare a dying platform to one that wants to grow from nothing.


    The complaint isn't that it HAD to be a slab but that the only offered ONE form-factor.
    The SAME form-factor that failed with the Pre, Pre Plus, and Pre 2.
    ::yawn::
    [Do they think fourth times the charm?]

    Besides that we still have the apps issue and lack of dev support which is a HUGE issue.

    But there you go, if they would have announced a slider, a slab, and a landscape slider they would be in A LOT BETTER position than now. Not perfect, but at least much better.

    Right now the choice is portrait slider or a really small portrait slider.
    Don't like it?
    Well, then you don't have a choice in WebOS.

    And the fact is, the FACT IS, most don't seem to care for portrait sliders.
  16. #396  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Blackberry is a completely different audience....a DYING audience by the way...so let's not compare a dying platform to one that wants to grow from nothing.


    The complaint isn't that it HAD to be a slab but that the only offered ONE form-factor.
    The SAME form-factor that failed with the Pre, Pre Plus, and Pre 2.
    ::yawn::
    ......

    Right now the choice is portrait slider or a really small portrait slider.
    Don't like it?
    Well, then you don't have a choice in WebOS.

    And the fact is, the FACT IS, most don't seem to care for portrait sliders.
    Wrong. That disregards the significant enlargement of the screen.

    the choice is Now:
    1 LARGE SCREEN Portrait slider (screen BIGGER than the best selling iphone)

    2 LARGE SCREEN slab with the slider closed (albeit not the thinnest in this config).

    That is NOT the same form, and before you try to say it's not LARGE, let me repeat the juggernaut industry leader the iphone is has a SMALLER screen! And BTW, that same leader of a phone seems to sell well in a SINGLE and LESS versatile form.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 02/10/2011 at 06:00 AM.
  17. #397  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    Wrong. That disregards the significant enlargement of the screen.

    the choice is Now:
    1 LARGE SCREEN Portrait slider (screen BIGGER than the best seller)

    2 LARGE SCREEN slab with the slider closed (albeit not the thinnest in this config).

    That is NOT the same form, and before you try to say it's not LARGE, let me repeat the juggernaut industry leader the iphone is has a SMALLER screen! And BTW, that same leader of a phone seems to sell well in a SINGLE and LESS versatile form.
    BEST SELLER?
    WHAT DEVICE WAS A BEST SELLER????
  18. #398  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    BEST SELLER?
    WHAT DEVICE WAS A BEST SELLER????

    I all makes sense, your not following my logic because your reading.... Clearly I'm referencing the iphone. I've edited more maximum clarity I guess.
  19. #399  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    I all makes sense, your not following my logic because your reading.... Clearly I'm referencing the iphone. I've edited more maximum clarity I guess.
    Read this post to answer your post:

    http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2859139

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Most Android phones really don't look like the iPhone.

    You are thinking about the Pre and saying "well it sold"

    No, it didn't.

    Palm's marketshare didn't even INCREASE, DID NOT INCREASE, with the release of the Pre.
    It just stayed the same, instead of dropping, for the first time in years and then dropped the next month and is now below 2% [including PalmOs]

    This site has to think BEYOND this site.
    To what the vast majority of users want.
    They have spoken with their wallet since June 2009.

    And a portrait slider isn't in high demand.

    Even that Blackberry Torch didn't sell well.

    BlackBerry Torch already selling for half-off
    FIVE DAYS AFTER RELEASE
    Neither did the Kin.
    Do I need to prove it further??
  20. #400  
    [QUOTE=Mattykinsx;2859189]Read this post to answer your post:

    [url]

    BB Torch has a 3.2 inch screen, about same as original Pre. This has a 3.6 in screen, again BIGGER than the best selling ... (IPHONE.)

Posting Permissions