Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybertx View Post
    I need more apps. I need native encryption. I need business applications: Juniper vpn client, Citrix receiver, an RDP client -- basically support from very large companies. All of these are available via IOS and Android. I love the idea of the Pre 3. I love the idea of the Touchpad. Both look great... but until I get more support from large companies, my hands are tied. :-p
    I believe they announced VPN support. If HP wants their employees to use them for work, they'll add many of those features. The dev presentation is tonight, so there may be announcements on that front too.

What I find unfortunate is that a lot of people are assuming that it has the same build quality and battery usage problems as the original Pre. The people who have reviewed it have said the build quality is solid and much better than previous devices.
    Meh.

It's not on sprint (where I have my -stupid- good corporate rate), it's not 4g or wimax or LTE, it doesnt have an exceptionally large screen, and it does -nothing- that would earn it a wow factor. Where's my HD video out? My touchstone that outputs video to my desktop monitor making the Pre into a portable desktop PC. Where's my dual core processor? Where's the innovation? In today's mobile market what makes the Pre 3 desirable? Does this thing even have a bluetooth stack that accepts a keyboard?

I mean, when I bought my Pre minus it had some wow factor that set it apart from the Iphone... Multitasking with cards, a nice unique form factor, the touchstone. For awhile, people around me with early and mid-gen iphones were even a little jealous of my little phone that could (of course, that ended when I replaced a handful of them one-right-after-another thanks to internal shattered screens due to manufacturer defect). Even with all the negatives I've had with this phone, it's sitting here running 1.1ghz with plenty of fun patches making it run -exactly- how I want it to - and doing a fine job of it. I like WebOS even if I am only running 1.4.5 thanks to HP's flawed policies. Hell, I'd just stick with it for the next 6-12 months if it wasn't for the poor design choice of soft plastic for a screen (I've babied it, and it's still picked up some scratches on the viewable surface - and the side has begun cracking at the USB port and is nearly into the viewable screen now).

The Pre 3 is the same phone with .3 more GHZ, an essentially iphone-sized screen and the same small palm app library... I'm just not seeing any reason to bump up to it. When I choose my next phone, I want it to to be next gen. Lets all face it, this Pre 3 is going to look like an also-ran next to the Iphone. It -ALREADY- looks like an also-ran next to the Iphone 4 and it hasn't even come out yet. It does NOTHING to set itself apart. Yes, I know it has webos, and webos is great, but the Iphone and Android multitasking has continued to improve and it's no longer the great advantage it once was - and we all know it.

By the time this thing hits market it's going to look obsolete - hell, it looks like a slightly bigger version of the phone sitting in front of me as I type this. I want the future, and the Pre 3 doesn't fit the bill.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 02/09/2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I do have to say a bit disappointed. I am up for a upgrade this march. I was hoping for a 4g phone. I may wait just a bit more, but not much. If I have to pay $10.00 more on sprint for an upgrade, I am going to wait for 4g at least I am getting more speed for my money. Looks like I may have to look elsewhere if I want 4g. I was hoping for a landscape keypad, or at least one that would swivel to either direction. The mock up's from a few month ago seemed innovative. I would have thought dual core would have at least been in pre 3.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    So glad i didn't wait for this. The phone will be obsolete by the time it is released.
    With HSPA+, they can claim 4g in name only. T-Mobile and AT&T are advertising HSPA+ as a 4g network although it is not true
    Not impressed by the whole package. Iphone 5 will blow it out of the water I'm sure of it with its dual core processors.

Bottom line I waited and I'm out. Pre Plus is the last Palm product I will ever own.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    pre3 sucks so bad..its pitiful..

5 megapixels camera?
    no 1080p video?
    No LTE?

game changing..
    yeah right...
    And how many times did you use 1080p video?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Other than the qualcomm 1.4GHZ processor, doesn't really do that much for me.
    Clockspeed is irrelevant.

Everyone keeps focusing on it but it means nothing.

The dual-cores are going to run this processor out the building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    I like what I saw. Too bad it sort of crushes any desire for a Pre 2, on my part.

What I can hope is that Sprint does an OTA 2.1 upgrade, followed by offering the Pre3 and Touchpad in the Summer.
    Yes I am with you.. my thinking is that (hopefully) sprint will showcase the pre 3 VZN has the Pre2 so its a good hint that Sprint will have the Pre3, wishful thinking.. I am hoping it will be true. : ) Sprint plus WebOS is the only way to go.. Anyone who has experinced WEbOS first hand knows what I am talking about.. : ) I bought three Pixis for the family and even with its slow processor and limitations, the webos still outshines Iphone and the ugly Android.. : ) WebOS just Rocks, because of this it has spoiled me from anything else.. : )
    the Pre3 is amazing hardware. I hope the get it out soon on multiple carriers. It will be a top seller.
    summer is too late. what happend to weeks. still interested tho but its not a shoe in for buying it.
    The phone Pre 2 should ever be. That's it, and all of it, sadly.

I am happy they stick to vertical slider FF, bigger screen (although would rather have it slightly bigger, still)

As for the 9th Feb event as a whole - overhyped to death, disappointing bcoz of that, and the only REAL innovative stuff is that Near Field Communication thing, revolving around Touchpad & Pre3. Other than this - iterative updates and obvious moves. Glad to see HP bringing major developers onboard.

Pre3 is a solid phone for today, I am concerned if it still be so solid looking when released , in nearly half a year from now.

Sadly, HPalm is not able to keep up with the Android crowd (I am looking at Moto Atrix)
    after reading some more specs I've calmed down and actually kind of impressed. So it does have a front facing camera?! That's awesome. % also thought the screen size was pre sized, and was mistaken. I'm guessing there is a rear camera as well right? The only thing I'm kind of dissapointed about is no 720p or 1080p with a hdmi output, that would be nice. Also 4g
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    So glad i didn't wait for this. The phone will be obsolete by the time it is released.
    ha.

Do you even know what 'obsolete" means?
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    summer is too late. what happend to weeks. still interested tho but its not a shoe in for buying it.
    I find comments like this fascinating.

The vast majority of people do not buy phones because the next best one has arrived. I'm obviously talking about 99.9% of people.

Everyone waits until they are ready for an upgrade and they go buy a phone. That does not then mean they get the best phone on the market. They then get what is best for them, or what the salesman pushes on them.

I would love to get a new phone right now but I can't upgrade yet. Not until Sept. You know how many people are in my boat? MILLIONS.

Most of you are so self obsessed with what you want you can't see the obviousness of the situation.

People will look over the Pre when it's available when their ready for an upgrade. People will begin getting WebOS phones as HP rolls out their tablets and PCs and printers. It's a system their selling and they said nothing but that all along.

This is what was to be expected if one listened to the words coming out of HP.
    Perfect timing for me and my kids because this summer my 2 years will be up with Sprint, which ever carrier has the new Palm phones/pads, that's who I am going with (hoping it will be Sprint). I too do not upgrade every year, waste of money and as long as my device meets my needs, I am happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamarr04 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. No innovation what so ever! How can webos go further without any competetive hardware?
    Hi all,

Why are so many of you so fast to condemn the new phones without even trying them???? In addition, Didn't HP/Palm say there would be other product announcements every other month for a while? Perhaps they will be more to your liking.

I am so sick and tired of all of the whining on this site!

For G-D's sake at least wait until you have tried it...and also stop ruining it for the rest of us!

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Why are so many of you so fast to condemn the new phones without even trying them???? In addition, Didn't HP/Palm say there would be other product announcements every other month for a while? Perhaps they will be more to your liking.

For G-D's sake at least wait until you have tried it...and also stop ruining it for the rest of us!

take care,

jay
    Because it is more of the same.
    Why couldn't they preview phones people wanted?
    The same ol same ol form factors are not what people want.

Slabs are RUNNING the table for very good reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

take care,

jay
    thankyou!! Sounds like a bunch a whinny kids crying because they didn't get what they wanted for their birthday.
    I'm happy with the Pre 3 upgrades. I like the size of the iPhone screen so the Pre 3 screen is perfect. I still love the form factor of the Pre so the portrait keyboard is great. I really like the idea of sliding out the keyboard to 'Just Type' instead of pulling up a virtual keyboard on the phone. I don't care about 4g so not having it is fine by me. The only thing I don't like is the summer release.