Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Frankly, it's a bit, well, "meh". 8/16GB? That wasn't enough last year!

I'm believe they said that they will be offering cloud storage amounts that dwarf the on device memory size. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Personally, the Pre3 is exactly what I was hoping for. I love the Pre form factor, but always wanted a slightly larger screen. Well, that's what the Pre 3 is, and it will have excellent processing power, a much upgraded camera, the addition of a front facing camera, little bigger keyboard.....perfect!

What I don't like is having to wait until summer, and then I still have to hope that Sprint will carry it.

-Skippy
    Well here's to hoping there's 50 million more like you. Otherwise this will be a 3peat
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    I'm believe they said that they will be offering cloud storage amounts that dwarf the on device memory size. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yep cloud is good until it "rains".

Rain in this case is carrier network bandwidth and data caps. Give me lots of onboard storage please for those rainy days.
    Quote Originally Posted by kizito21 View Post
    I thought Big, I thought Small, I thought Beyond.

I got a beefed up version of what I already have... no innovation what-so-ever.

Obviously... HP does not want to be a competitor in the smartphone market.
    My thoughts exactly. No innovation what so ever! How can webos go further without any competetive hardware?
    I've been a WebOS fan literally since January 8th, 2009, and today is the first day my loyalty is wavering. I have really liked using my original Pre on Sprint, but sadly, I'm sorely disappointed by the announcement today. HP seems to bring all promise and no delivery on those promises to WebOS. The culture of the Palm products is changing, and it is very noticeable, not just by solely HP branding, but also by the nature of the improvements to the hardware. It shows that so many people who created the buzz about Palm two years ago are gone, especially Matias Duarte and Peter Skillman. I haven't used the phone yet, but it appears that the experience of using the Pre has lost out to faster processors and integration into the HP beast. This seems like it could be cool, but it's not something I'm interested in for my phone, especially when it won't occur for years (when Apotheker says weeks, apparently he means months). I guess I'm just really upset because all the hype had me ready to be blown away today, and all we got were more promising hardware and ideas. Maybe they will get other customers to buy in, but unless this isn't all they have to offer, I'll probably look elsewhere for my next phone.
    It's terrible when people say this is just a beefed up version of the Pre/+/2.. yeah duh? Isn't that what we've all been waiting for? I wanted the same form factor, didn't mind if it was slab or not. Rather have a phy keyboard.

But yet when others do it, it's totally awesome and revamped. Thumbs up.

Also, people are saying 1.4Ghz chip isn't going to be anything this summer? I'm sure it will be. The newer hardware (like the quad chips) are ways away. I'm sure more will be going to dual cores but who cares. The OS is going to run fine on either. It's really for video and gaming which I don't do a lot of on my phone.

Hence why I have a, wait, a computer (or a new tablet soon).
    Sprint Love
    HP just ruined my birthday.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    I have not been able to view the entire event, but from what I've read, this is not the new beginning from the "we've been listening to users" that I would have expected. Missing from most posts is the more obvious failures of the Pre line. As a diehard Palm supporter and user, it wasn't the move to WebOS that was the problem, it was the abandonment of the Palm base and any transition plan. Classic at least allowed movement in that direction.. but, like other developers, they simply saw that true support was just not there. It is nice that they are wooing developers now, but the real problem with the Pre was not WebOS, but rather the obvious "reboot" of hardware/core app development. Rather than take the best of the evolution through the Treo 755p, EVERY basic app was reduced to a broken, simple version of the concept. Settings are more crude in increments, no alarm indicator on events, no onscreen keyboard, no voice command (a major loss in an ever-increasing hands-free required travel environment), no voice memo/recording, a smaller, worse keyboard, no ability to leave the screen on indefinitely (3 min max), no PowerOne calculator included, cute-graphic-based but less usable memos, weak camera, no gyroscope, and on it goes. And, without backward compatibility to the rich volume of 3rd party apps to address the many areas of personal and business needs, no real vision for WHY one wants this phone. The interface is slick, more fun than any other OS, has the hotspot and multitasking capability, but, if "cute/fun" is all it is, and you don't have other Pre users or desktop sync ability and counterparts to share info, it is hardly a "game changer".

With WebOS 2, we see the continued "leave the loyalists behind" approach. If the market were beating the door down for HP or Palm products, great. But eventually all you have is a small set of new users and a very large group of resentful, unappreciated former Palm users that could have given them a large starting base and been an invaluable marketing asset.

Does HP really not know that your best customer is your current customer? They are apparently saying "good-bye" to the Palm name, the Palm concepts, and the Palm users. Guess it's looking like I may very reluctantly have to soon say "good-bye" to a company that talks a lot about the future and potential, and expects us to wait while they continue to deliver lackluster, limited, or even "me too" (Touchpad vs Ipad) devices.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I wish there was a "LOL" button instead of a "Thanks!" button for this thread.

I'm with the majority here. Got rid of my launch-day Pre for the EVO last June and have been checking the forums and site daily to see what is coming. I loved the build-up and hype, but the Pre3 is flat-out fugly. What a complete lack of innovation, which is what we've known to expect from HP (NOT Palm).

I just want to ask HP this: Why would you remake a device that almost led the company to go under before you bought them, had very poor reception, and was a signature of "old" hardware even as it was launched. Unfortunately, history will repeat itself. I'm NOT an iphone fan by any means, but the iphone 5 will be out before this is launched, and Palm will once again be left in the dust with old hardware. Such a shame. I guess it's time to move on and continue to settle with my android. webOS has so much potential... maybe rubenstein needs to step down, because it all starts at the top...
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    The pre 3 is perfect not too big not too small, love it

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Personally, the Pre3 is exactly what I was hoping for. I love the Pre form factor, but always wanted a slightly larger screen. Well, that's what the Pre 3 is, and it will have excellent processing power, a much upgraded camera, the addition of a front facing camera, little bigger keyboard.....perfect!

What I don't like is having to wait until summer, and then I still have to hope that Sprint will carry it.

-Skippy
    I agree, love the size of the screen . I really want the pre3 now!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The good news is that it's an improvement, in many areas.
    The bad news is that we have wait almost 4 most, at the least. I have to agree with the majority of the people that is just too long.

I jumped to an Epic and to be very honest, I love it. I do miss WebOS and for the right phone I'd jump back. Not sure that the Pre 3 will be that phone though. I like the form factor of the Pre (perhaps I am one of the few) and with the bigger size it will be slab like, maybe a fraction smaller than the Epic? I have to say though, I was always a fan of physical keyboards but since getting an Epic I hardly use it. The virtual keyboard with SWYPE is great. BUT, it's always good to have the physical keyboard as an option.

Will definitely watch and see what unfolds here.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apalemick View Post
    Thanks for signing up to make that one post. It really makes me value your opinion and I want to hear more from you, troll.
    Haha, boy you are in a good mood (sarcasm)! I made it pretty clear that I'm a big webOS fan, and I'm just frustrated with the hardware situation. Nothing wrong with using multiple OSs in the interim, my good fellow. I would advise against putting people down and calling names. These are friendly forums for people to give their two cents about the topic at hand.
    First, I think that the new products are a good start. The problem is the length of time that it taking HP to release those products. Summer for the Pre3? Won't android be on honeycomb at that point. Now, to add insult to injury, there will be no updates for us who own older Pre's. Bummer. I will wait to see what the cost of the Pre 3 is before purchasing it as my contract will not enable me to get a discount on the phone. Needless to say, the Iphone 5 and various new products by Motorola, Samsung, HTC will most likely be out at that time giving all of us better options-which is unfortunate. What I really think is that HP built this whole event up to get buzz going about webOS and within that buzz hint that it will be a multi platform OS-laptops, desktops, etc. After webOS has established itself a little more then we might see more interesting phone products.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    I wish there was a "LOL" button instead of a "Thanks!" button for this thread.

I'm with the majority here. Got rid of my launch-day Pre for the EVO last June and have been checking the forums and site daily to see what is coming. I loved the build-up and hype, but the Pre3 is flat-out fugly. What a complete lack of innovation, which is what we've known to expect from HP (NOT Palm).

I just want to ask HP this: Why would you remake a device that almost led the company to go under before you bought them, had very poor reception, and was a signature of "old" hardware even as it was launched. Unfortunately, history will repeat itself. I'm NOT an iphone fan by any means, but the iphone 5 will be out before this is launched, and Palm will once again be left in the dust with old hardware. Such a shame. I guess it's time to move on and continue to settle with my android. webOS has so much potential... maybe rubenstein needs to step down, because it all starts at the top...
    I feel and have been doing the same thing you have. I bought an Evo to try out and the hardware/processor made a world of difference. This announcement was a big let down by HP.

I too was thininking Big, Small and Beyond and got Fugly by HP. lol.
    As they said at Wired.com several weeks back. Saying what was wrong with the original launch of the Pre - 6 months is too long a time.
    "“The platform had such tremendous hype and momentum after it was announced at CES 2009,” says Sutton. “But it took us six months to see a product. In Silicon Valley time, that’s an eternity.” The Pre was all but considered vaporware by the time its June 6 launch date came around, only to have its thunder immediately stolen by the iPhone 3GS, which launched shortly thereafter to much consumer ado."
    Love my Pre (oc'd to 1.0Ghz, that is...) The original Pre hardware was FAR too slow to fully accomodate the potential of WebOS.

What I missed most in this announcement was 'Palm.' :/

Pre 3 looks fantastic -- considering that it is made to be a "professional" smartphone. You can always nit-pick about thing like screen size and resolution (I want higher numbers, and what Pre owner DOESN'T want to show up their ifriends in everyway possible w/ their phone). The screen in my opinion could have been denser, but its size is perfect for the form factor. Considering the Pre Plus has a 480x320 resolution, the bump to 800x480 is a big one. And I never really had problems on the 480x320 one that I'm still using today. To those talking bad about their original Pres, /learn preware, govnah and the kernels.

Where is our mini-hdmi out?! This may not be that popular today, but GD would I use that every week if I had it. I feel like the TouchPad should have been given this, along with 1080p playback capabilities. It'd be so nice to be able to take a tablet over to a friends house and be able to plug it in to watch a HD movie/show. 720p is fine, but still no out :/

Things like JustType, the Touchstone, Cards, no button design-win ... these are the things that make WebOS so much better. Despite not having every single new tech, the Pre 3 looks like a solid piece and I will definitely notice and love the upgrade from my current Pre Plus.

JUST FIX THE MF GPS. I SWEAR IT BETTER BE FIXED. NO MORE VZW BS.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    It's exactly what I wanted. Please launch on Sprint! I will not switch carriers.
    More impressed with the Tablets , Hate the Veer . The Pre 3 is ok but I expected/hoped more more . And by the time it comes out like usual it will be old news. Overall while I think little for the phones I think its good for WEB OS. the tablet looks way cool.
    like the device
    like the OS
    like HP
    like sprint
    only an earlier dynamite Win7 from sprint or t-mobile will compete
    will always be waiting for one device or another
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.