Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Aren't people moving to tablets anyway? So who cares what the phone can do?

hell I wish HP would come out with just a barebones phone that just tethers to the Touchpad. That's what the Veer should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunderson View Post
    Last night, and up until this morning's announcement, I experienced some buyers remorse. I purchased a nexus s a few weeks ago to hold me over in my lust for phone power, using my pre plus less throughout the endeavour. I was so excited for HP to knock my socks off. Then they unveiled the Pre 3. Unfortunately HP, I no longer have buyers remorse. I very well may use the nexus s until a competitive webOS SLAB phone is released. Please help me out, android is so unrefined.
    Thanks for signing up to make that one post. It really makes me value your opinion and I want to hear more from you, troll.
    I like the Pre 3 form factor and size: I'm a MAN, baby, and I don't need no additional bulges in my pockets, especially rectangular ones. Let the other folks carry their slabs in their purses. Besides, I finally get a compass!!

Admittedly, THIS is the phone that should have been released June 2010, six months after they should have released Pre2, which should have been released six months after Pre Plus: and they should have released the Pre at CES in January 2009. Right now, we should be on the Pre 4 and the Slab Pre.

But if I built a time machine to go back and fix these problems, I would probably just go back and buy lottery tickets....
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    i really hope your joking.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I need more apps. I need native encryption. I need business applications: Juniper vpn client, Citrix receiver, an RDP client -- basically support from very large companies. All of these are available via IOS and Android. I love the idea of the Pre 3. I love the idea of the Touchpad. Both look great... but until I get more support from large companies, my hands are tied. :-p
    Quote Originally Posted by jamarr04 View Post
    I love webOS, but I was expecting webOS on new hardware. The Pre 3 is what the Pre 2 should be and did they provide a date of release? Mid to Late Summer is a full 6 months away and I'm sure the Android OS will be running on new hardware by then. I doubt the Pre 3 will hold up against the Evo 2..smh!
    evo2 would crush all!
    So who cares what the phone can do?

Um, wut?

LOL

What are you talking about. People who buy and use phones as their all-in-one device care what the phone can do. I might use the tablet on my couch, but when I'm on the go, I'm using the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by apalemick View Post
    Honestly, the vast majority of people don't give a ****. HP is going for the mainstream, not the super nerdy, geeks. Basically, none of what you just wrote matters, except to maybe 2% of the population.
    i'd bet the huge majority of iphone users couldn't even tell you what speed their processor is and how much ram it has.

i've yet to see anyone that needs a phone go into a verizon store and leave instead with a tablet. Then again i don't hang around verizon stores everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Don't be to sure on what Apple may or may not do. They are not known for pushing specs in the use's face. Look how long it took for MMS, Cut and Paste, AVRCP, some kind of rudimentary multitasking. And 4g, not likely.
    The Iphone OS sucks compared to WebOS but you still hear everyone tout how the Iphone is the best thing since sliced bread.
    Why?
    Marketing and the geek mentality.

The new HP phones/tablets can kick *** if the marketing is there. HP needs to get developers developing apps because in the end that's what's going to sell the phone. No one is going to jump from Android to HP and lose all of their app choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

To the person earlier in the thread who was upset about it having a 5 mp camera:

1. mega pixels is not a very accurate way of comparing cameras, if you read popular photography they say it almost every month.

2. I recently read an article somewhere online, (I no longer remember where, but I am sure we could do a web search and find it). It showed how in accurate the Iphone's camera is for color rendition. In fact, it showed photos taken with each of the Iphone models 1 - 4. (I am mentioning it, since so many people are so hung up on comparing the Iphone with the Pre 3).

3. Cell phone cameras will never take the place of my Nikon DSLR...that is the way it is....

4. The Iphone doesn't have webOS nor does it have an actual keyboard. Those are my reasons for staying with Palm!

Take care,

Jay
    As someone into photography, I completely concur. WAY to much emphasis on mp
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i really hope your joking.
    In some sense yes.

But hell everyone on here seems to want a 5" screen. That is not a phone anymore, that's a tablet. So yes, it does seem everyone wants a tablet.
    In some sense yes.

But hell everyone on here seems to want a 5" screen. That is not a phone anymore, that's a tablet. So yes, it does seem everyone wants a tablet.
    "Everyone" would be people on tech sites, like this. They are in no way the normal purchaser of phones. Only 17% of the population, or something like that, have a smartphone, let alone give a crap about a larger screen.

It's just the loud, vocal few and they don't matter much.
    The Iphone OS sucks compared to WebOS but you still hear everyone tout how the Iphone is the best thing since sliced bread.
    Why?
    cause only geeks care that much about the actual OS. it doesn't have to be perfect. it has to be good enough. If the OS was the end all and be all people would have bought the Palm Pre. It just isn't as important as many other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    LOL, damn there are some stupid whiners in here. I'm not impressed because in the Summer there will be 2 phones that might be faster than the Pre 3! The Pre 3 should have launched in 2010! The Pre 2 should have been the Pre Plus. Some of you need to have your heads examined before full Alzheimers sets in.

06/07 - iPhone - 2.0MP Camera. 412MHz Processor. 4/8/16GB Storage
    07/08 - iPhone 3G - 2.0MP Camera. 412MHz Processor. 8/16GB Storage
    06/09 - iPhone 3GS - 3.0MP Camera. 600MHz Processor. 8/16/32GB Storage
    06/10 - iPhone 4 - 5.0MP Camera. 800MHz Processor. 16/32GB Storage.

In 3 years, Apple gave the iPhone 3G, a single screen update, doubled the processor speed and went from a dumb phone quality cheap camera to an industry best 5.0MP camera.

What are people expecting from the iPhone 5? I'll tell you what to expect. A processor spec bump to 1.0GHz, 4G on HSPA+ and LTE, and maybe 1GB RAM. No changes to the camera, no changes to the screen, no changes to the slab, no changes to the storage. Done. You know what? It'll still sell like crazy, and it will still be better than almost any phone available on the market.

The Atrix and Droid Bionic win the spec wars, but anybody other than a super geek or nerd won't care. Why? Because specs don't make any different. The user experience is EVERYTHING on these devices. How does webOS 2.x compare to Android 2.2? How does dual core actually work on Froyo? Is battery life 4 hours? Does the performance get really choppy as it turns on and off processors? Do the devices need dual core in the first place?

The Pre 3 has every feature that it needs to compete with the possible exception of 4G on Verizon/Sprint. Want a virtual keyboard? There's no reason the Pre 3 can't have one with a 3.6" screen size.
    This is so true it hurts.
    I'm not blown away, but this device has been a long time coming. I am very disappointed that it won't be ready soon (honestly I don't think many people will care about the Veer), but other than that I am pleased with what I saw.

My Themes:CLICK HERE

hell I wish HP would come out with just a barebones phone that just tethers to the Touchpad. That's what the Veer should have been.
    Really? Do you live any where need people or a large city? Do you have clue as to what current phones can do? Tablet's have a place, but that place is not everywhere.
    Why?
    Marketing and the geek mentality.

The new HP phones/tablets can kick *** if the marketing is there. HP needs to get developers developing apps because in the end that's what's going to sell the phone. No one is going to jump from Android to HP and lose all of their app choices.
    The Iphone has the best apps! That is why they are so hot right now. Developers are slow to built apps for webOS because not too many people own a pre or pixi.....Probably due to the outdated hardware!
    I thought Big, I thought Small, I thought Beyond.

I got a beefed up version of what I already have... no innovation what-so-ever.

Obviously... HP does not want to be a competitor in the smartphone market.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I'm not blown away, but this device has been a long time coming. I am very disappointed that it won't be ready soon (honestly I don't think many people will care about the Veer), but other than that I am pleased with what I saw.
    Well mikeisnowonfire, I read allot of your postings. In my opinion you are always level headed in your comments. However, for me, you not being blown away does not bode well. On the other hand I was not blown away by the iPad, but got one anyway. The HP pad has me way more interested though.
    Personally, the Pre3 is exactly what I was hoping for. I love the Pre form factor, but always wanted a slightly larger screen. Well, that's what the Pre 3 is, and it will have excellent processing power, a much upgraded camera, the addition of a front facing camera, little bigger keyboard.....perfect!

What I don't like is having to wait until summer, and then I still have to hope that Sprint will carry it.

-Skippy