Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    I really like the specs.
    Fast processor, much higher rez screen, kept slide-out keyboard. Not overly large like the EVO. excellent mix of size and functionality. BUT -if it is not coming out on Sprint I will move to another carrier and seriously look at the iPhone. I have been shun for too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    The blackbery torch was a huge failure it is already in the discount bin. Just google it. Personally I don't mind the slider phone but apparently most of the consumers who are looking for phones do.. Now apple may be able to pull it off only because they seem to have the ability to instill cult like feelings in their consumers.
    That's simply not true. There was an article in the NY Times a while ago about women with nails who hated slab phones. Apparently, the on screen keyboard is difficult to use. The number of people wanting a physical keyboard was quite large.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    The blackbery torch was a huge failure it is already in the discount bin. Just google it. Personally I don't mind the slider phone but apparently most of the consumers who are looking for phones do.. Now apple may be able to pull it off only because they seem to have the ability to instill cult like feelings in their consumers.
    Most consumers are not looking for a slider phone because of the marketing of apple and android. Again, if and when HP starts marketing the WebOS experience more consumers may start looking at them.

The only thing the Pre3 needs is a virtual keyboard and it would be exactly like a slab phone but shaped differently but with the added benefit of a physical keyboard.

The virtual keyboard for landscape and those who don't like the phys. keyboard seems to be my only complaint.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgil View Post
    I really like the specs.
    Fast processor, much higher rez screen, kept slide-out keyboard. Not overly large like the EVO. excellent mix of size and functionality. BUT -if it is not coming out on Sprint I will move to another carrier and seriously look at the iPhone. I have been shun for too long.
    Spot on.

I can't believe Sprint would do anything to lose more customers but you never know. I'll be off if they don't get the Pre 3 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgil View Post
    I really like the specs.
    That doesn't make sense. If you're going to leave Sprint because it doesn't carry the Pre3 why wouldn't you move to a carrier that has the Pre3 and get it?
    If you are seriously looking at the Iphone then what HP does doesn't really matter to you does it?
    I hope it's on Sprint. I don't really care if it'll be on 4g. 3g is fine for me. The battery will die fast enough on 3g anyway, 4g would just kill it. I'm not necessarily impressed with the pre3. But I am very happy with the upstep in size, stats, and hardware. The improved touchstone tech is something to look forward to and the pad touch sharing thingamajig is also something i'll covet.

i just hope they'll add bookmark syncing much like chrome.
    Quote Originally Posted by apalemick View Post
    That's simply not true. There was an article in the NY Times a while ago about women with nails who hated slab phones. Apparently, the on screen keyboard is difficult to use. The number of people wanting a physical keyboard was quite large.
    And yet they still didn't buy a Pre or a BlackBerry Torch.

Besides I did not say phones with keyboards were a failure I it is not looking good for this form factor and being a success.
    everyone said the Pre 2 was just Palm's idea. The Pre 3 strikes me as very similar aside form spec bumps and a few things here and there. Any opinions of if the Pre 3 is HP's doing or more stuff that was just in development by Palm when it got bought?
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    Most consumers are not looking for a slider phone because of the marketing of apple and android. Again, if and when HP starts marketing the WebOS experience more consumers may start looking at them.

The only thing the Pre3 needs is a virtual keyboard and it would be exactly like a slab phone but shaped differently but with the added benefit of a physical keyboard.

The virtual keyboard for landscape and those who don't like the phys. keyboard seems to be my only complaint.
    And thicker and heavier.. But yep exactly the same..

Hey I was a loyal pre fan and I love WebOS but I just think this might be too little to late and I think this launch is way too much like how they launched the pre. The one thing they have going for them is Money. So maybe they will make it work. I may even end up getting the Pre3 depending on what is available when I change phones.
    LOL, damn there are some stupid whiners in here. I'm not impressed because in the Summer there will be 2 phones that might be faster than the Pre 3! The Pre 3 should have launched in 2010! The Pre 2 should have been the Pre Plus. Some of you need to have your heads examined before full Alzheimers sets in.

06/07 - iPhone - 2.0MP Camera. 412MHz Processor. 4/8/16GB Storage
    07/08 - iPhone 3G - 2.0MP Camera. 412MHz Processor. 8/16GB Storage
    06/09 - iPhone 3GS - 3.0MP Camera. 600MHz Processor. 8/16/32GB Storage
    06/10 - iPhone 4 - 5.0MP Camera. 800MHz Processor. 16/32GB Storage.

In 3 years, Apple gave the iPhone 3G, a single screen update, doubled the processor speed and went from a dumb phone quality cheap camera to an industry best 5.0MP camera.

What are people expecting from the iPhone 5? I'll tell you what to expect. A processor spec bump to 1.0GHz, 4G on HSPA+ and LTE, and maybe 1GB RAM. No changes to the camera, no changes to the screen, no changes to the slab, no changes to the storage. Done. You know what? It'll still sell like crazy, and it will still be better than almost any phone available on the market.

The Atrix and Droid Bionic win the spec wars, but anybody other than a super geek or nerd won't care. Why? Because specs don't make any different. The user experience is EVERYTHING on these devices. How does webOS 2.x compare to Android 2.2? How does dual core actually work on Froyo? Is battery life 4 hours? Does the performance get really choppy as it turns on and off processors? Do the devices need dual core in the first place?

The Pre 3 has every feature that it needs to compete with the possible exception of 4G on Verizon/Sprint. Want a virtual keyboard? There's no reason the Pre 3 can't have one with a 3.6" screen size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyounya View Post
    Daggit...Im dissappointed. Where's the magnetic port were I can attach my mini vulcan canon, recharge my light saber and my Nissan Leaf simultaneously while watching Tron Man on yoututbe. There goes my multitasking.

You all are tripping. The only complaint I have is the ETA and not knowing which carrier will carry it. Other that I'm gonna get it, bigger screen (slightly bigger than iphone4), bigger keyboard, snapdragon, touch to share....and you never know, they may add something in the future to the P3...Im sure there will be a another anouncement for carrier and release date...remember when Verizon and ATT&T got the Pre plus...more RAM and Hotspots.
    Agreed. It looks perfect. If only I could buy it. Really nice vaporware, though.

Sigh.

(And I wish they'd announced a slab, too. Personally, I don't like slabs, but there's clearly a chunk of the market that does, and the more people they can attract, the more developers they can attract, and they need developers.)
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    What difference does it make if I like the Pre 3? As far as I'm concerned, it's vaporware. Just like the 2.x upgrade to my plus is vaporware. Just like Leo's promise that devices will ship weeks from announcement. I've been as Palm loyal as anyone, but today's vapor-event has really left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Nothing to see here. Move along.
    @drew3sbs on twitter
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Look, I like the Pre3. It's got a great spec list, and I will definitely be getting one once I'm upgrade eligible.

But it's not exciting...the TouchPad is exciting because it's something new with new webOS functionality, and it's going to make a sweet tablet. The Veer & Pre3...well, for all intents and purposes most people just see more of the same. Visibly, HPalms's phones look like they did when the Pre was first announced. And they've killed the only 'different' form factor in the Pixi...and plenty of people like the Pixi form factor better than the Pre - my wife, for one. On top of that, with all the slider issues people have had...just seems like a bad idea.

Besides, why not? If you've got the best OS (which I believe they do), why not try to please everyone? Some people want 4" slates. Some people want horizontal sliders. How hard can it really be to manufacture different form factors? HPalm could've really cornered the market if they stuck with the Pre2 for longer (+ GSM), and their new phones were a high end slate or horiz slider, and kept the Pixi form factor for their low end. Wouldn't no moving parts have kept the Veer cheaper? Plus, while the magnetic port is kinda cool, they could've kept a real micro-usb & headphone port.

Grrr....I like having options, HP!
    Go to YouTube and search HP PRE 3 PROMO VIDEO.. lots of vids of pre 3 in action. Sorry if I'm late... and I will be getting pre 3 this summer . Bye bye evo..... YEAH XMAS IN THE SUMMER
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I would really like to get my hands on one before I can say for sure if I'm impressed. If it's on Sprint, at this time I'm leaning towards getting one.
    Quote Originally Posted by cstray View Post
    How hard can it really be to manufacture different form factors?
    HTC, Samsung, and Motorola seem to be able to do it.
    Hi all,

To the person earlier in the thread who was upset about it having a 5 mp camera:

1. mega pixels is not a very accurate way of comparing cameras, if you read popular photography they say it almost every month.

2. I recently read an article somewhere online, (I no longer remember where, but I am sure we could do a web search and find it). It showed how in accurate the Iphone's camera is for color rendition. In fact, it showed photos taken with each of the Iphone models 1 - 4. (I am mentioning it, since so many people are so hung up on comparing the Iphone with the Pre 3).

3. Cell phone cameras will never take the place of my Nikon DSLR...that is the way it is....

4. The Iphone doesn't have webOS nor does it have an actual keyboard. Those are my reasons for staying with Palm!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Last night, and up until this morning's announcement, I experienced some buyers remorse. I purchased a nexus s a few weeks ago to hold me over in my lust for phone power, using my pre plus less throughout the endeavour. I was so excited for HP to knock my socks off. Then they unveiled the Pre 3. Unfortunately HP, I no longer have buyers remorse. I very well may use the nexus s until a competitive webOS SLAB phone is released. Please help me out, android is so unrefined.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    LOL, damn there are some stupid whiners in here. I'm not impressed because in the Summer there will be 2 phones that might be faster than the Pre 3! The Pre 3 should have launched in 2010! The Pre 2 should have been the Pre Plus. Some of you need to have your heads examined before full Alzheimers sets in.

In 3 years, Apple gave the iPhone 3G, a single screen update, doubled the processor speed and went from a dumb phone quality cheap camera to an industry best 5.0MP camera.

What are people expecting from the iPhone 5? I'll tell you what to expect. A processor spec bump to 1.0GHz, 4G on HSPA+ and LTE, and maybe 1GB RAM. No changes to the camera, no changes to the screen, no changes to the slab, no changes to the storage. Done. You know what? It'll still sell like crazy, and it will still be better than almost any phone available on the market.

The Atrix and Droid Bionic win the spec wars, but anybody other than a super geek or nerd won't care. Why? Because specs don't make any different. The user experience is EVERYTHING on these devices. How does webOS 2.x compare to Android 2.2? How does dual core actually work on Froyo? Is battery life 4 hours? Does the performance get really choppy as it turns on and off processors? Do the devices need dual core in the first place?

The Pre 3 has every feature that it needs to compete with the possible exception of 4G on Verizon/Sprint. Want a virtual keyboard? There's no reason the Pre 3 can't have one with a 3.6" screen size.
    Honestly, the vast majority of people don't give a ****. HP is going for the mainstream, not the super nerdy, geeks. Basically, none of what you just wrote matters, except to maybe 2% of the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronk View Post
    fwiw pre 3 is trending in the US...touchpad and veer are also trending in most cities
    Trending? SO WHAT. When it trends on Wall Street get back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

Don't be to sure on what Apple may or may not do. They are not known for pushing specs in the user's face. Look how long it took for MMS, Cut and Paste, AVRCP, some kind of rudimentary multitasking. And 4g, not likely. Sounds more like you are having an iPhone wet dream.