Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    selling a portrait slider does. that's what you don't get. It's not just about storage. It's that appealing primarily to the people on pre forums and those like them, that already like the pre product but where too small in number to keep the company of Palm afloat rather then the much larger and more profitable masses that didn't like the pre or that form factor is a major problem. Because it's not enough to grow make great leaps in market share. The Pre 3 will fair just like the Pre and Pre 3. Niche.

if the Pre 3, coming out later in the summer, likely next to the iphone 5 sell like hotcakes and everyone loves it i'll be wrong. But i won't.
    This entire exchange between me and you was about storage space...
    I'm sure you realized that you've gone off on a tangent with ^this post...

As for the new point you're trying to convey in that post, I can agree to a certain extent...however, you'd have to take into consideration that HP obviously wanted to make a recognizable product line...at this point, I think a slab phone from Palm would fall into the category of the numerous Samsung/Motorola/SonyErricson slab phones that aren't talked about much at all these days...webOS isn't exactly a popular software to the average consumer, it'll probably look, to them, like another lower-tier phone in comparison to something with Android or an iPhone...
    I'm hoping Pre 3 comes to Sprint. I can see why the screen is "limited" to 3.6 inches since it pairs nicely with that tablet. I can see how it could be marketed as a business unit. I'm excited to see the pairing of the two products.

Re:slider - if this is the HP version of business phone - think of what predominate competitor business phone has a keyboard? - I prefer the keyboard and the protrait style slider.

Complaints about the size of storage, processor, etc are amusing to me since I do not change phones like some people do - everytime there is a latest greatest then they change phones. I want something that works and that I do not have to relearn. I'm still using my original pre from June 2009 - minor power button foible but still functioning. My son is on his 4th pre - 2 replacements were for defects and one for careless behaviour.

4G??? - in Michigan they only installed it around Grad Rapids not metro Detroit area - If I cannot use it why do I want to pay for it?

The EVO is physically too big for me. It is bigger than my old pocket pc that I used to carry with a phone. I combined everything into a Treo 755p then the Pre. I needed calendar, contact functions - everything else was cake but having experienced a full featured phone I don't think I would go back. I like what I can do on the WebOs in terms of accessing email and the web but the device is primarily a phone for me.

It is nice to have extra capabilities but there really reaches a point as to how much I want my phone to do - more pixels = bigger files. My PHONE is not my primary camera, video camera, computer, music player, etc.
    Last edited by bcaroo; 02/09/2011 at 03:21 PM.
    I seriously can't find out why you guys are so "UnImpressed"!?!?
    Please take the time to read this because people today are thinking all specs and make big deals out of something simple that won't effect them at all. They look at the paper specs and make their opinions without really thinking.

--The Pre3 has a WVGA screen which is bigger and personally my personal golden size (goldy lox and the 3 bears). The pixel density is great at triple the Pre's!!! The retina deal is cool but practically, anything beyond the Pre3 density isn't adding much. Just mental asuringness.
    --The processor is a freaking 1.4 Ghz!!! Blazing fast. The only thing would have been dual cores because that means less battery consumption. It would mean faster Pre3 but it look better on paper than in real life.
    --The keyboard is still a portrait keyboard, which I love because landscape keyboards force me to view everything the way I don't want to. AND the keyboard is BIGGER!!!!! Which makes me incredibly happy.
    --The Camera can shoot 720p! Nice crispy HD for me and you! All this business of 1080p and 8 mpx doesn't matter that much because 1080p is only usable on YouTube (no diff on the device it self) and most people don't have fast enough interwebs for 1080p. 8 mpx doesn't mean anything, what matters in the camera is how many photons the camera can get in (not horrid tinny pixels).
    --Tap to Share is AWESOME!!! and is one of the most innovative ideas on the market. I will be using it EVERYDAY.
    If you agree please like
    EDIT: And I forgot to add (thanks to dint56 for reminding me) that the camera also has auto focus and video stabilization!!!
    Last edited by Rennat; 02/09/2011 at 03:23 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I love WebOS, I really do. Now, all they need to do is place WebOS 2 in an Epic 4g HW device, and I will camp out for a week to get it. 3.6 inches is good, but 4 inches are better. A Portrait keyboard is good, but a Landscape keyboard is better. Even a slab at 4+ inches will have me changing phones on the spot. HP please, please stop holding back your OS on tiny devices. Give us a big boy screen, and Micro SD slot.

I will bet that if they had announced a 4 inch phone with a Landscape keyboard today, everyone here would be at HP® - Laptops, Desktops, Printers, Servers and more demanding a Pre pre-order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I seriously can't find out why you guys are so "UnImpressed"!?!?
    Please take the time to read this because people today are thinking all specs and make big deals out of something simple that won't effect them at all. They look at the paper specs and make their opinions without really thinking.
    People want something that sounds cool. They don't think reasonably. pretty much they want phone specs to make up for other inadequacies.

The pre3 sounds awesome, and seriously you've waited this long 4 months is nothing. Also there is nothing that says they won't be introducing a "slab" phone in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by robcy View Post
    I love WebOS, I really do. Now, all they need to do is place WebOS 2 in an Epic 4g HW device, and I will camp out for a week to get it. 3.6 inches is good, but 4 inches are better. A Portrait keyboard is good, but a Landscape keyboard is better. Even a slab at 4+ inches will have me changing phones on the spot. HP please, please stop holding back your OS on tiny devices. Give us a big boy screen, and Micro SD slot.

I will bet that if they had announced a 4 inch phone with a Landscape keyboard today, everyone here would be at HP® - Laptops, Desktops, Printers, Servers and more demanding a Pre pre-order.
    Get a tablet with the phone and you have a 10 inch screen. Big enough for you? Man you people are crybabies.
    webOS 2.X.X please! Show some loyalty to those who stood in line for the Pre 1 now aka the Pre minus c/ of everything its lacking
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Ok so I did read it right. The Camera has Auto Focus and Stabilization? I already love the Pre Pictures, quality is very good without increasing pixels, so I am happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    People want something that sounds cool. They don't think reasonably. pretty much they want phone specs to make up for other inadequacies.

The pre3 sounds awesome, and seriously you've waited this long 4 months is nothing. Also there is nothing that says they won't be introducing a "slab" phone in the future.
    I don't agree... you don't want a phone that is already ouclassed when it is realeased.. by summer you will see Dual-Core 1.2 or 1.4 chips.. better camera's, more ram and a much better ecosystem from both Apple and Google... Plus a variety or form factors...

If you can wait that is great, alot of us are ready for a new phone and hopes the 4" slab would be it...

I need a new phone!! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt26 View Post
    It seems the people who have seen these devices up close and personal are impressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    The haters are nuts. Screen is too small to sell?!? WELL IT'S BIGGER THAN THE IPHONE AND IT SEEMS TO DO WELL!!
    LOL! You are certainly living up to your name. Nicely said.

Yes, I really don't get what all the whining is about. This is great!

Although I do feel bad for the Sprint users--no mention at all of Sprint carrying any of the new devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by FleetwoodSho View Post
    This entire exchange between me and you was about storage space...
    I'm sure you realized that you've gone off on a tangent with ^this post...

As for the new point you're trying to convey in that post, I can agree to a certain extent...however, you'd have to take into consideration that HP obviously wanted to make a recognizable product line...at this point, I think a slab phone from Palm would fall into the category of the numerous Samsung/Motorola/SonyErricson slab phones that aren't talked about much at all these days...webOS isn't exactly a popular software to the average consumer, it'll probably look, to them, like another lower-tier phone in comparison to something with Android or an iPhone...
    The guy above you and the leading phone smart maker on the market thinks it benefits to have more then 8GBs of space. I'll side with them. Cause one of them knows sell a hell of lot of phones. And i just think you need to appeal to the widest range. I'll be honest i don't think the general public liked the pre so i think making 3 phones that all kinda look like that is a mistake. Recognizable product line is fine. I just they needed a fresh look. Personally i think it's all about their tablets with them. I think phones are an after thought. I always have and the amount of time it seemed they spent on tablets in the presentation doesnt' really change my mind. That said I think they should have release both a slider and a slab. My slider also wouldn't have been a portrait but that's my thing, partly preference, partly a recognition that they seem to sell better then portraits do. Tablet's aside cause they aren't really my thing i think the phones they announced appeal to the base but less so beyond that. I don't think they suck or anything. But i don't think these days just not sucking is enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    It seems the people who have seen these devices up close and personal are impressed
    And yet when you go to that link...it is exactly what was brought up at its introduction. I doubt the 5 minutes at the announcement table counts as a review. It has not been released yet to the public so I would consider a review like that lame and not valid.
    This is a decent evolution, but should have been the Pre 2 (i.e. nix the 2 altogether). No 4G, no respect. PERIOD.

Apple will announce 4G with two months to compete with Android and HP will be trying to figure out what to do with the 2s they built and no one bought.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I'll be honest. I love the Pre form factor, yet am concerned about whether this is enough to gain traction. WebOS 2 has been around for months, and with the pace of the market, many of its features are likely to be duplicated by the time this phone comes out. Also, Apple will be announcing their new iPhone soonish, and likely that will be another game changer. Apple has the guy that developed the Web OS notification system, and Google has the guy that designed the UI. iOs and Android already have market penetration, and tremendous brand recogntion. HP Palm needs something revolutionary, and I'm concerned that this is not it. By the time this comes out, it may already be left in the dust. Of course, they have promised another announcement about PC and device linking, which they likely don't want to leak. They seem to be targeting this at business customers though, which makes these issues less relevant.

Update: Now that I've thought about it more, I believe that HP Palm wanted to release this phone now. The reason for the delay is that they haven't gotten enough carrier support for it. That's probably why pricing isn't available, and that's probably why there is no 4g. They said that the phone will be released in CDMA and GSM versions, yet that is probably just hedging their bets. Their poor relationship with carriers is suggested by the Pre 2, which took Verizon 4 months to release. The fact that this phone was not released on Sprint, who have traditionally had a strong relationship with Palm, is also suggestive.
    Last edited by roninj; 02/09/2011 at 04:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I love the software side but the Pre 3 just looks like a repackaged Pre. I really like the pad and the ability to communicate with the phone but would like to have seen something more "WOW". I will probably buy it but will others that are not pre owners want this phone over an iphone.......Probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by explorerdo1 View Post
    And yet when you go to that link...it is exactly what was brought up at its introduction. I doubt the 5 minutes at the announcement table counts as a review. It has not been released yet to the public so I would consider a review like that lame and not valid.
    Still... nice words about WebOS from BGR are good to hear
    BGR, someone who is generally very hard on phones, just posted a glowing hands-on of the device. Check it out: HP Pre 3 hands-on! | BGR | Boy Genius Report
  20. Evansgw
    Quote Originally Posted by howemi01 View Post
    You have to wonder just how many folks were itching for "add to cart" and "checkout" buttons right away...
    I was ready to buy two. Now looking elsewhere. Our phones are cracked, wife's is dead... can't wait for the summer.