1.    #1  
    First, let me thank you for writing an outliner for WebOS! I like to organize my thoughts as hierarchies, and having a "brain-dump" tool with me at all times is a must.

BACKGROUND: I'm still an avid user of Ecco Pro, an amazing outliner/PIM that hasn't been updated since 1997, and the single major reason why I've stuck with the Palm platform. Ecco still syncs well with PalmOS under Classic... except for Ecco's notepad outlines which are my main font of knowledge and wisdom. I've been getting by with ThoughtManager for PalmOS, which at least has a basic desktop outliner component, and with a little effort can be manually synced with Ecco. Unfortunately, ThoughtManager is pretty much unusable without a stylus to handle the compact interface elements, so I started looking for a WebOS alternative. And found Outline Tracker.

Outline Tracker struck me with its clean look and elegant implementation of the WebOS interface. Thanks for offering a free version so I could familiarize myself with how it actually works. I really want to love it, but I have one HUGE issue to address and a few minor ones for which you may already have solutions.

the big one
    • desktop sync. For the data to be of value to me it's got to be accessible. This could take almost any form, but the bottom line is being able to view and edit the data—as a heirarchy—from my desktop. XOXO is a great idea, but there's zero software support for it that I could find.

Basecamp originally seemed like a possible solution to this, but it basically breaks the whole "outline" paradigm. Ever try converting a Basecamp project into even a simple MS Word outline? It's not pretty.
    other issues
    • a way to lock rotation. If I'm trying to get serious work done on the move, the screen's going to be shifting all the time. It feels like I'm balancing a glass of water, as I have to constantly hold the phone upright to keep it from "spilling"... very frustrating!

• keyboard shortcuts. As great as the touchscreen interface is, the keyboard is much faster. A simple new item/subitem key would speed things along nicely. For bonus points, shortcuts to promote and demote items and toggle "is task" would be great timesavers.

• export without "places". The default export to email option would be somewhat useful, except it's riddled with "place: Anywhere" on every single line, destroying an otherwise readable format. I don't even use places!

If I could figure out a way to access outlines on my PC and address some of these minor issues, I'm sure this would quickly become my favorite app. Outlines can be powerful, and I hope to see my wealth of data available at my fingertips again in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    desktop sync. For the data to be of value to me it's got to be accessible. This could take almost any form, but the bottom line is being able to view and edit the data—as a heirarchy—from my desktop. XOXO is a great idea, but there's zero software support for it that I could find.
    You can use an HTML editor or (less conveniently) a text editor.

[LEFT][INDENT]Basecamp originally seemed like a possible solution to this, but it basically breaks the whole "outline" paradigm.
    Since Palm will not be providing the infrastructure for syncing, the solution to this will probably be support for a different web application as back-end. There are several other features which need to be implemented first, though.

a way to lock rotation.
    That's quite doable.

keyboard shortcuts.
    Also quite doable.

export without "places".
    The export format is optimized for backup and re-importation, rather than human-readability. After some other features are implemented, full control over output format will be implemented.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    You can use an HTML editor or (less conveniently) a text editor.
    I've yet to find an HTML editor (or any software, for that matter) that actually parses XOXO format into editable text.

solution 1: convert to/from text

I'd settle for an import/export tool that converted from XOXO to a plain textfile with tabs for each outline level. If you could build this text export/import function into Outline Tracker I'd consider that a perfect solution.

solution 2: a real editor
    Nothing wrong with sticking with the web model here, but outlines need to be usable from a real PC, not just my Palm Pre. Something like this sample outline editor * (from this blog post) would be really nice. Note the ability to edit inline and collapse/expand the tree. Another example, Sproutliner, takes it a step further by adding editable database-like columns, a lot like Ecco did.

* I had to use Internet Explorer to render it here, for some reason Firefox choked on it.
    • a way to lock rotation.

• keyboard shortcuts.
    Outline Tracker 1.5.0 is available, and includes keyboard shortcuts for several common operations, including fixed/free screen orientation: Outline Tracker F.A.Q.

Full list of changes is:
    • shows Dashboard during downloads from Basecamp
    • Spanish localization
    • Getting Started help for new users
    • local Notes and Basecamp To-Do Lists can edit Place and Responsible (for their children) in the Details scene
    • new preference: fixed/free screen orientation
    • Compact All & Expand All commands in outline scenes
    • keyboard shortcut keys
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    Outline Tracker 1.5.0 is available, and includes keyboard shortcuts for several common operations, including fixed/free screen orientation: Outline Tracker F.A.Q.

Full list of changes is:
    • shows Dashboard during downloads from Basecamp
    • Spanish localization
    • Getting Started help for new users
    • local Notes and Basecamp To-Do Lists can edit Place and Responsible (for their children) in the Details scene
    • new preference: fixed/free screen orientation
    • Compact All & Expand All commands in outline scenes
    • keyboard shortcut keys
    Excellent update! Thanks so much for the shortcut keys, those have really streamlined working with outlines. And I can't describe how nice it is not having the screen rotate on me when I'm trying to track items on the go or share them with someone.

I've found I'm already using it a lot more thanks to these new features.

P.S. You got me with those glyphs, though... I can't put my finger on what universe they're from...