1.    #1  
    There have been several requests for a view which sorts by date. If it's just by date, the Project headings would have to be eliminated (which means you'd have to switch to another view to open the outline for a project). It could also be sorted by project, then by date. There's also the question of whether to include Future tasks as well (those with undone prerequisites). What do you think?
    Doug, personally, it makes sense to me to follow Basecamp's Milestone view. The Overdue on top (in red like now) followed by All Upcoming -- everything is sorted in descending order from Most Overdue at the top to the farthest away at the bottom.

I'd be okay with seeing milestones on one screen sorted by due date (esp if you could put the project name in a small font like current "in X days", but like Basecamp, it's okay to switch projects from a main screen.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    In my current tool (which I am trying to get away from and switch to OT) I have a "by date" view which shows all Ticklers and Waiting-Fors sorted by date. It definitely shows future tasks and would be of minimal use without that.

I could also see benefit to further limiting the view by project. But I would find that very secondary to the functionality above. This is my view to see what is coming up (or even something I missed, so past dates MUST show too) that isn't one of my active task.

Dave
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    It definitely shows future tasks and would be of minimal use without that.
    Do you mean "tasks in the future" or "tasks with undone prerequisites" ?
    I want to give my opinion about sorting Projects. But, first, I want to say that I only take advantage of 10% or less of OT. I'm beginning to discover through OT the world of GTD and Basecamp. But by now, I only use OT like pure outliner. My projects have no task or due dates, only items within items, only items organized by parents, children and siblings with notes. My scene of Projects has all titles blue (I no see other colour) with the order of importing and changing the place has no effect in the list. From this point of view, it has sense to sort the Projects in the scene, include some kind of divider or include colour categories. This should be optional because I understand that OT is much more than a pure outliner.

Vicente Carmona
    For my use I'd really like to see sorting by date in the to-do view with some clear indication of project, since usually my tasks themselves are too vague without the project (and even parent tasks often). I like the idea (from NickR) of sorting purely by date and including project info in a smaller font. It'd be even better if I could easily see the whole path for a task. It'd also be nice to be able to re-sort a project itself by date in the project view.

I don't find that the to-do and Future view (i.e., including tasks with undone prerequisites) is very useful for me since I have too many tasks that I have to do to worry much about what comes next. Really the stronger the filters the better for me (I love the location filters).
    Quote Originally Posted by CptOx View Post
    I want to give my opinion about sorting Projects. But, first, I want to say that I only take advantage of 10% or less of OT. I'm beginning to discover through OT the world of GTD and Basecamp. But by now, I only use OT like pure outliner. My projects have no task or due dates, only items within items, only items organized by parents, children and siblings with notes. My scene of Projects has all titles blue (I no see other colour) with the order of importing and changing the place has no effect in the list. From this point of view, it has sense to sort the Projects in the scene, include some kind of divider or include colour categories. This should be optional because I understand that OT is much more than a pure outliner.

Vicente Carmona
    Same here. I want to use OT only as an outliner. Since I currently have a legacy of nearly 70 outlines, I literally get lost in them if I can't sort and search them.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    Do you mean "tasks in the future" or "tasks with undone prerequisites" ?
    I meant tasks in the future. In my current tool, I can configure a view to show tasks with undone prerequisites or not. I choose to show them for my normal usage. But there could easily be a reason to not show them. When I am looking at tasks by context, I don't want to see tasks with undone prerequisites. But when I am looking by date, I need to know if there are items coming up, whether there are prereqs or not.

This last point brings up a comment that someone else made. It would be nice to see the hierarchy for a task. In a flat view, you don't want to see the whole hierarchy normally. But it would good to be able to look at a task and quickly determine what project or sub-task it is a part of and also if it has any prerequisites.

Dave
  9.    #9  
    Sorry it took so long - a number of internal changes were necessary to support this, and several other issues needed to be dealt with first.

As requested, the project title is shown in small text below each item. (The project title is also shown in the Waiting scene and in Calendar events, so you always have it for context.)