Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Have you tried to get it on the front page of P|C? I can't recall.

M.
    I tweeted @precentral and @webosroundup awhile ago asking for help in spreading the word. WebOSRoundup posted a front-page article, but PreCentral didn't.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I tweeted @precentral and @webosroundup awhile ago asking for help in spreading the word. WebOSRoundup posted a front-page article, but PreCentral didn't.
    That's weird, given how PreCentral loves to post provocative and controversial stories...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    That's weird, given how PreCentral loves to post provocative and controversial stories...

Maybe they just missed the tweet that day. Who knows...
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Hey Dan, do you have any updates on this almost a month later?
  5.    #85  
    Hey Dan, do you have any updates on this almost a month later?
    I wish I did but I haven't heard a thing.

6.    #86  
    Yesterday I sent an email to Chuq asking for an update. I asked him a few things:

- If/when the media permissions reset app would be released into the catalog

- Were they aware that webOS 3.0 also has this issue (this was confirmed in the main Music Player (Remix) thread).

- Was a permanent fix going to be implemented in webOS 3.x (and webOS 2.x).

Chuq wrote back and confirmed the bug is still present in webOS 3.0; however the OTA update should fix it. I asked him if there were plans on implementing the fix in webOS 2.x and he said he wasn't sure and would ask.

The media permission reset app wasn't released because of a security concern. I get the impression that this will never be released.

I also asked about the lingering media indexing issues people have had that are not related to the media permission reset bug. I'm referring to new files not showing up when copied to the device. He said he thinks this issue is fixed in the 3.x OTA update, but he wasn't sure.

I really think the media indexing issues come really from the buggy storaged implementation. It seems it reports files as copied even when they are still incomplete.

Try to copy a 600Mb video. Let it "finish", eject the device, look for it (you won't find it). Use usb mode again, check the file size. You may see that the file is incomplete, and it may be generating FAT32 errors which will be corrected on next reboot.

It works fine tho if doing the file copy over ssh (novacom has similar issues with big files).

Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Sounds pretty good Dan. I believe you said you were waiting for them to fix certain things before you would continue developing certain projects. I hope to see Music Player Remix modified to work properly on the TouchPad!
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    Sounds pretty good Dan. I believe you said you were waiting for them to fix certain things before you would continue developing certain projects.
    It's not really a matter of waiting for them to fix certain things. I need to start seeing evidence that they have the ability (and motivation) to start tackling the bigger issues in a more timely fashion.

For instance, download counts and stats for all developers have been fubar'd for over a month now. Not only have they failed to fix the issue, they've also failed to report the issue to developers (other than an update embedded deep in a forum thread). I asked Chuq if he would send out an email or blog post about the issue so developers who didn't find that forum thread would know that their download counts/stats are inaccurate, and he didn't want to do it. He thought the comments in the forum thread were enough.

And then there's the old media permissions bug (discussed in this thread). I reported it back in February and their engineering team didn't think it was important enough to fix in the initial TouchPad webOS 3.0 release 5 months later, let alone to fix it in webOS 2.x. For the past few months, I've asked various Palm Dev Relations folks to at least post a web page / blog post or even update the media indexing API documenation so other developers and users could be made aware of the issue. They said no.

So it's the combination of their engineering team failing to fix issues in a timely fashion and the dev relations team failing to publicly disclose information about critical issues that makes me apprehensive about developing a new project in webOS.

I hope to see Music Player Remix modified to work properly on the TouchPad!
    I wouldn't want to just modify the app to work on the TouchPad. I'd prefer to design a new version that took advantage of the tablet form factor.

Try sending an email to Kerris, and don't worry about being polite, give him an earful.
    Wow. Well those definitely seem like reasonable expectations to me.

I understand HP totally started from scratch developing the TouchPad (and 3.x) after they bought Palm. Doing all that in less than a year is very quick so they may have been stretched thin. Hopefully workloads will start balancing out so they can address stuff like this more directly...

12.    #92  
    Try sending an email to Kerris, and don't worry about being polite, give him an earful.
    I already emailed him and was polite. He had Gray Norton contact me. Gray wrote me saying he was going to help drive this issue home and contact me the next week to give me an update. I haven't heard from him since (7 weeks ago).

13.    #93  
    Wow. Well those definitely seem like reasonable expectations to me.

I understand HP totally started from scratch developing the TouchPad (and 3.x) after they bought Palm. Doing all that in less than a year is very quick so they may have been stretched thin. Hopefully workloads will start balancing out so they can address stuff like this more directly...
    I know that's what's happening. They're stretched too thin and don't have the resources to properly support their products.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I know that's what's happening. They're stretched too thin and don't have the resources to properly support their products.
    They need a lot more people to work there with a lot more organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    They need a lot more people to work there with a lot more organization.
    I agree completely.

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Is this still an issue? Updated my UK unlocked Pre 2 to 2.2.4, never had any music on it. Went to put some music on it and the 1st party music app won't see my music. Tried the demo of Music Player Remix which pointed me to the Permissions Reset app, which doesn't seem to work.

Never mind, solved by masking the Music folder from WebOS using Internalz, reboot, then unmask
    Last edited by Jimbode; 12/22/2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Solved my problem after searching :-)
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbode View Post
    Is this still an issue? Updated my UK unlocked Pre 2 to 2.2.4, never had any music on it. Went to put some music on it and the 1st party music app won't see my music. Tried the demo of Music Player Remix which pointed me to the Permissions Reset app, which doesn't seem to work.

Never mind, solved by masking the Music folder from WebOS using Internalz, reboot, then unmask
    Even though you already solved your problem, I'll mention this for other people. The "media permissions" discussed in this thread will not cause issues in the built-in music app. It only affects 3rd party music apps you download from the app catalog. Any issues you have with music not showing up in both the built-in and 3rd party music apps is a generic webOS media indexer issue. Your solution is a good way of solving that type of issue.

If someone experiences the "media permissions" issue, a popup will appear in Music Player (Remix) telling you that's the case. It will link to a web site that contains the "media permission reset" IPK. If you don't get that popup, then you don't have the "media permission" issue.

Also another thing to know is that the "media permission" issue is no longer present in webOS 3.0 (TouchPad); however it still is present in webOS 2.x (phones).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345