Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    I agree that Palm's (and now HP's) response time in completing certain tasks have been very slow. They definitely seem to be lacking the capability to keep up. There have been a lot of ongoing issues and feature requests that have been discussed for well over a year that haven't made any headway. If HP is serious about webOS, they need to start putting more capable resources into Palm.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Their response time has been excruciating. They are definitely putting all their eggs in the webOS 3.0 basket, at the expense of all their current users. I'm afraid that the Veer will ship with all these bugs, the Pre 3 will ship with all these bugs, and if the Touchpad ships with a lot of its own bugs, then we're in big trouble. Loyal users who have used webOS were burned with no upgrade path, and current 2.1 users probably won't see an update for months to fix all the bugs in 2.1. It really makes you wonder just what the hell they're doing to "make things right".
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Their response time has been excruciating. They are definitely putting all their eggs in the webOS 3.0 basket, at the expense of all their current users. I'm afraid that the Veer will ship with all these bugs, the Pre 3 will ship with all these bugs, and if the Touchpad ships with a lot of its own bugs, then we're in big trouble. Loyal users who have used webOS were burned with no upgrade path, and current 2.1 users probably won't see an update for months to fix all the bugs in 2.1. It really makes you wonder just what the hell they're doing to "make things right".
    Yeah I don't know how long (if ever?) it will take for 2.1 users to get a proper 2.x update. It does seem like all their limited resources are going into 3.0. Like I said in my PreCentral "developer spotlight" interview, they just skipped right over 2.0 and are now going full steam into 3.0.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Have you gotten any updates on this? I'm starting to experience the same bug. I know I can download the IPK to fix it, but I'm wondering if Ben has made any progress to release the fix into the catalog.
  5.    #45  
    Have you gotten any updates on this? I'm starting to experience the same bug. I know I can download the IPK to fix it, but I'm wondering if Ben has made any progress to release the fix into the catalog.
    I sent Ben an email on 4/27 asking for an update and have not heard back from him. It's now 2 weeks after he said he would release it. Everything with HP seems to drag...

6.    #46  
    I just emailed and tweeted Ben today after never hearing back from him on 4/27 (when I emailed him for an update a week ago). On 4/15 he emailed me indicating that the HP Media Permissions Reset app would be released the week of 4/18. It never happened. It has already been tested out in the field on a few occasions, so not sure why it hasn't been released. Also not sure why Ben is not returning emails.

It's been over 2 months since I reported this issue to HP and I'm still getting people emailing and tweeting me about it. And since 4/15 there has been an official HP app that restores media permissions to 3rd party apps, yet it still hasn't been released after almost 3 weeks. HP's response time with this issue has been horrible. Will it ever end?

7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I just emailed and tweeted Ben today after never hearing back from him on 4/27 (when I emailed him for an update a week ago). On 4/15 he emailed me indicating that the HP Media Permissions Reset app would be released the week of 4/18. It never happened. It has already been tested out in the field on a few occasions, so not sure why it hasn't been released. Also not sure why Ben is not returning emails.

It's been over 2 months since I reported this issue to HP and I'm still getting people emailing and tweeting me about it. And since 4/15 there has been an official HP app that restores media permissions to 3rd party apps, yet it still hasn't been released after almost 3 weeks. HP's response time with this issue has been horrible. Will it ever end?
    Ben just wrote me back and said he's been swamped with webOS 3.0 work. He just pushed the app to Lisa so she can investigate how to get it into the catalog. We'll see what happens now...

Investigate how it get it into the catalog? Doesn't she have some button she can just push to get any arbitrary app into the catalog?

I've been frustrated with them, more so recently. I've been trying to contact them for months regarding an issue with hybrids, and they only just now got back to me. They also told me they'll be forwarding the issue to the app review team, but since the solution to your problem still hasn't been fixed, I don't have much confidence that my issue will be fixed any time soon.

They're just really lucky they have devs who are so strongly for the platform that we are willing to put up with this ****. Lisa can apologize for these problems all she wants, but it won't mean anything until we get results.
  9.    #49  
    Investigate how it get it into the catalog? Doesn't she have some button she can just push to get any arbitrary app into the catalog?

I've been frustrated with them, more so recently. I've been trying to contact them for months regarding an issue with hybrids, and they only just now got back to me. They also told me they'll be forwarding the issue to the app review team, but since the solution to your problem still hasn't been fixed, I don't have much confidence that my issue will be fixed any time soon.

They're just really lucky they have devs who are so strongly for the platform that we are willing to put up with this ****. Lisa can apologize for these problems all she wants, but it won't mean anything until we get results.
    I agree their response time can be really slow sometimes. They have an app ready to go and they still haven't released it.

I tweeted a status update and mentioned @adora, but she never responded back. So I don't know what the status is.

Dan, I'm a little curious if this bug is happening on legacy devices only or if you've had reports on it happening on the Pre 2 as well.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Dan, I'm a little curious if this bug is happening on legacy devices only or if you've had reports on it happening on the Pre 2 as well.
    Dan would have the official word on his app but the legacy devices (who are still running WebOS 1.4.x) don't use the API Media indexer provided by Palm. I've yet to have this happen on my Pre and I've been using Remix from early beta days. I'm currently still on WebOS 1.4.5.

I believe this is a WebOS 2.x issue but I could be wrong.
    (meta doctored WebOS is a different realm all together)
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I believe this is a WebOS 2.x issue but I could be wrong.
    (meta doctored WebOS is a different realm all together)
    That's what I'm particularly interested in. I do believe you're right in saying that it's a 2.x issue. I'm just curious if it's happening on all devices, including meta-doctored Pre's, meta-doctored Pre+'s, O2 Pre+'s, and Pre 2's, or if it's an issue that's specific to meta-doctored (unsupported) devices.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    That's what I'm particularly interested in. I do believe you're right in saying that it's a 2.x issue. I'm just curious if it's happening on all devices, including meta-doctored Pre's, meta-doctored Pre+'s, O2 Pre+'s, and Pre 2's, or if it's an issue that's specific to meta-doctored (unsupported) devices.
    It can happen on any device running webOS 2.0 or later. I know because it's happened on my Pre 2 (no kernels, patches, or anything else non-stock).

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    It can happen on any device running webOS 2.0 or later. I know because it's happened on my Pre 2 (no kernels, patches, or anything else non-stock).
    That's complete total BS. Makes me angry.

Happened too many times on my Pre+. It'd be nice if we had a statement from HP as to why it's actually happening in the first place.

Is there any trend? Does it happen with small libraries? Does it happen with large libraries? Does it happen when 50 cent is an artist? Does it happen when saturn aligns with jupiter? I really want to know.

I don't know if this is the related issue, but when i had Pre Plus, after 1.4.5 released, I was no longer able to play Korean and Japanese music. It plays for 20 or 30 seconds and music app crashed. I didn't have any issue before that release. And same mp3 was perfectly fine under windows, itouch and iphone.
  16.    #56  
    Folks, let's keep this thread on topic. This thread discusses the webOS media permissions bug that causes 3rd party music apps to not be able to access all songs when the built-in music app can.

Any other issues, such as album art not refreshing or certain music files not playing, is not related to this particular bug.
  17.    #57  
    The Media Permission Reset app was tested by me (and several of my users) a month ago and yet they still have not released it. Plus my requests for an update from Ben and Lisa have gone unanswered. I just sent another email and twitter message. This whole situation is completely ridiculous. A fix is available from HP and they won't release it. Yet I still keep getting support calls from it (just answered one a few minutes ago).

This issue is really making me put into question whether I should commit more time to this platform. I was planning on creating a super version of Music Player (Remix) for the TouchPad as my next major project, but that's on hold for now.

Dan, I'm really sorry to hear that HP doesn't seem to be helping WebOS developers make the whole WebOS experience better. They spent a lot of money and it's really strange that they are not doing more to help WebOS be a success. The poor Veer launch today is further evidence. But, don't give up yet, because we need good developers like you.

But to this issue specifically, I have to say that it has never happened to me, either on my Pre+ with 2.1 or my Vzw Pre2 with a meta-doctor of 2.1. I keep opening Music ReMix and it always has my music. Is it really a common problem, or just a random one for a small group of people?
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Dan, I'm really sorry to hear that HP doesn't seem to be helping WebOS developers make the whole WebOS experience better. They spent a lot of money and it's really strange that they are not doing more to help WebOS be a success. The poor Veer launch today is further evidence. But, don't give up yet, because we need good developers like you.

But to this issue specifically, I have to say that it has never happened to me, either on my Pre+ with 2.1 or my Vzw Pre2 with a meta-doctor of 2.1. I keep opening Music ReMix and it always has my music. Is it really a common problem, or just a random one for a small group of people?
    It has the potential to eventually happen to every webOS 2.x user. It's just a matter of luck as to when it happens. It also can happen more than once (that's been reported as well).
  20.    #60  
    Ben just emailed me saying him and his team has been overrun with webOS 3.0 work which is why he hasn't pushed to get the Media Permission Reset app through. He said he's going to try to get me the script to place directly into my app (without requiring a separate app). This would be better for users since my app would be able to fix things behind the scenes without the user having to download a separate app.

Hopefully he can get this to me soon. Only time will tell...

In regards to the handling of this issue, his excuse is that his team has been swamped with 3.0 work. I understand this; however I told him that HP should be allocating enough resources to handle supporting 2.x users and developers since their current devices run webOS 2.1 (this includes the newly released Veer). If HP is not going to properly support their current platform, then it raises the question in my eyes if they will support webOS 3.0 once they start working on webOS 4.0.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast