Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    so where or what is the name of the ipk bug fix ?? where is it located and whats the name ?
    http://forums.precentral.net/hedami/...ml#post2903551
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Thanks Jason. I also have the support thread (where the IPK is referenced) linked at the top of the first post of this thread.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  3.    #23  
    I still haven't heard from HP on an official workaround or fix. It's been almost a month since I first reported this issue to HP.

After webOSRoundup posted their articled on this issue (Raising Awareness: Serious webOS 2.X bug for music apps [Update: HP responds] | webOSroundup), an HP rep contacted them saying they were working on the issue. However I still don't have a sense as to when we can expect to see an official workaround or fix.

Later this week I'll post again to the Palm Dev forums asking for an update.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

4.    #24  
    Update: On 3/22, unwiredben (from HP) messaged me on Twitter indicating he was working on an official downloadable IPK. However 6 days later I still haven't heard an update.

It's now been over a month since I reported this issue to HP and I'm still getting support emails on a daily basis. Not only has HP failed to deliver an easy-to-use workaround (for all users) in this amount of time, they have also failed to set up an official web page documenting this issue and providing support assistance to our users. HP is still placing the burden of support squarely on the shoulders of developers.

I've requested multiple times that HP set up a web page to assist developers in the support of this issue, and still a month later HP has taken no action.

It's bad enough that it takes HP engineers more than a month to come up with a downloadable IPK solution, but then the HP support team doesn't feel it's necessary to help support this issue. I'm severely disappointed in HP's response to this issue.

This is disappointing for all of us, especially devs who aren't affected by this issue. This sends the message that HP will either respond very slowly or not at all to developer issues. I've had a few unresolved issues with HP myself, but nothing like having your app completely broken. I really hope Richard Kerris can turn this around...
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    This is disappointing for all of us, especially devs who aren't affected by this issue. This sends the message that HP will either respond very slowly or not at all to developer issues. I've had a few unresolved issues with HP myself, but nothing like having your app completely broken. I really hope Richard Kerris can turn this around...
    I posted a bunch of messages on Twitter cc'ing @richardkerris and @seanboxb. Yesterday Sean emailed me apologizing for the situation and said he'd look into the issue. We'll see if anything happens now.

While I think the HP engineering team's slow response time in coming up with a proper workaround is pretty bad (more than a month now), one thing I told Sean and also tweeted is that the biggest failure on HP's part in regards to this situation is them not taking ownership of supporting this issue. Users contact the devs because the app stops working and we're left with the full burden of support. Once we made HP aware of the issue, they should have provided some means of helping support users.

Over a week ago, I DM'd @unwiredben suggesting that HP could set up a simple web page on their server describing the issue and providing instructions for the current workaround. That way we could forward users directly to that web page. And on that web page it would list an HP email contact that could help people implement the current workaround. That way HP could own support of the issue instead of having developers field all the support emails (for me it's been daily since the 2.1 OTA update).

@unwiredben gave no indication that the idea would be considered or passed on to their support team. It was basically ignored. And Sean in his email to me never indicated HP would start helping developers provide support. So HP is still not owning up to the support of this bug. That to me says a lot about their organization. And if they still don't act after my email to Sean, that will say even more about them.

Speaking of @unwiredben, he said he had a new IPK that he's been working on (presumably the final workaround that HP would deploy). He was supposed to send it to me yesterday to test, but he hasn't sent it yet. So hopefully the end is near.

Any update on this issue? I experienced this bug today for the first time... I was glad that i already knew how to fix it, but annoying nonetheless.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Any update on this issue? I experienced this bug today for the first time... I was glad that i already knew how to fix it, but annoying nonetheless.
    No update unfortunately. On 3/29, unwiredben wrote me saying he was having issues getting his IPK working. That's the last I heard from him.

I asked whether he could use Jason's IPK (or a variation of it) and he doesn't want to do that because unlike most apps where you can execute it anytime you want, this IPK only executes when it's first installed. So if the user experienced the issue more than once, they'd have to re-download the IPK. I can understand his apprehension in supporting this type of solution.

I just sent another message to Ben asking for an update. So we'll see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    No update unfortunately. On 3/29, unwiredben wrote me saying he was having issues getting his IPK working. That's the last I heard from him.

I asked whether he could use Jason's IPK (or a variation of it) and he doesn't want to do that because unlike most apps where you can execute it anytime you want, this IPK only executes when it's first installed. So if the user experienced the issue more than once, they'd have to re-download the IPK. I can understand his apprehension in supporting this type of solution.

I just sent another message to Ben asking for an update. So we'll see what he says.
    Thanks, Dan.
    I didn't realize there was an IPK for this other than Jason's. I saw the same flaw with it (being self-removing), and my workaround was to download it to a location on my phone so i can run it anytime i want. Not elegant, but perhaps thats somehow appropriate for such a ridiculously unbelievable bug.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Thanks, Dan.
    I didn't realize there was an IPK for this other than Jason's. I saw the same flaw with it (being self-removing), and my workaround was to download it to a location on my phone so i can run it anytime i want. Not elegant, but perhaps thats somehow appropriate for such a ridiculously unbelievable bug.
    No you misunderstood me. There has only been 1 IPK solution released (Jason's). Ben (a member of the Palm Dev Relations team) is working on an official IPK that HP would distribute. He hasn't released this IPK. The last I heard (on 3/29), he was having technical issues getting his IPK to work.

11.    #31  
    Ben wrote me back and let me know that most of the issues for his IPK have been resolved, but there are still a few issues the security team are working on.

It'll be great when the final HP solution is deployed. And it'll be even greater if/when a permanent fix is implemented in webOS (2.1.1 or 2.2).

I've been bitten by a similar bug. I've transferred music to my phone but it looks like the media indexer doesn't refresh. Most of the music plays but no applications can see any new music files. I've already tried all of the previous suggestions but they haven't helped. This bug is also affecting the ringtones on my phone.

I hope HP can hurry up.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I've been bitten by a similar bug. I've transferred music to my phone but it looks like the media indexer doesn't refresh. Most of the music plays but no applications can see any new music files. I've already tried all of the previous suggestions but they haven't helped. This bug is also affecting the ringtones on my phone.

I hope HP can hurry up.
    The issue you're describing is different than the one discussed in this thread. If you had the issue discussed in this thread, you wouldn't be able to see any of your music in 3rd party music apps.

But yeah the media indexer not updating seems to be another issue popping up on people's phones. If none of the suggestions have worked (such as copying new music, copying music to a hidden folder and back to a visible one, etc.), then doctoring may be your only option.

The issue you're describing is different than the one discussed in this thread. If you had the issue discussed in this thread, you wouldn't be able to see any of your music in 3rd party music apps.

But yeah the media indexer not updating seems to be another issue popping up on people's phones. If none of the suggestions have worked (such as copying new music, copying music to a hidden folder and back to a visible one, etc.), then doctoring may be your only option.
    i've had both of the problems, first i wasn't able to play any music at all cause the indexer never found it, the only solution was to doctor it, later i had to doctor it again cause Music (Remix) couldn't play the music. :/ I guess one of the main problems is the indexer but maybe im wrong.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_comic View Post
    i've had both of the problems, first i wasn't able to play any music at all cause the indexer never found it, the only solution was to doctor it, later i had to doctor it again cause Music (Remix) couldn't play the music. :/ I guess one of the main problems is the indexer but maybe im wrong.
    If the built-in music app shows your music, but 3rd party apps (like Remix) don't, then you have the problem discussed in this thread. If you're experiencing anything else, then it's not the issue discussed in this thread (and thus, the IPK fix won't work).

16.    #36  
    There may be a light at the end of the tunnel... Ben (from HP) just sent me a test IPK that resets the media permissions. I tested it out and it worked on my device. Of course I didn't have the issue at the time, but I was able to confirm it re-prompts for permission to the media library.

He said the plan is to release it next week. So we may finally have an official fix from HP that we can direct users to. Stay tuned...

17.    #37  
    A user contacted me today experiencing the media permissions bug. I sent them HP's IPK and it fixed their issue! I've reported this back to Ben. So hopefully HP can now release it as an official HP app so we can start pointing people to this fix.

It sounds like their software release workflow isn't built for speed. It sucks when a fix for a bug is created in less than an hour, but then it takes weeks for others to finally do their job and approve it for distribution.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    It sounds like their software release workflow isn't built for speed. It sucks when a fix for a bug is created in less than an hour, but then it takes weeks for others to finally do their job and approve it for distribution.
    To be fair, they're not using Jason's IPK (which was created in less than an hour), but you're correct it should not have taken them this long to come up with an official fix and release it.

Hopefully Ben will release it this week...

To be fair, they're not using Jason's IPK (which was created in less than an hour), but you're correct it should not have taken them this long to come up with an official fix and release it.

Hopefully Ben will release it this week...
    The "less than an hour" comment wasn't about Jason's IPK in particular, but more about how rigid and slow the various "change management" systems have often become in corporate culture since S-OX. To what extent that infected Palm before and after the HP take over, I don't know. It could also be that even with all of HP's resources, the PBU still needs more what HP doesn't have oodles of: lots of experienced webOS developers.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast