Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I tried to use Remix today and nothing works, I can't play music from bookmarks, faves, and when I open Artists, the screen is blank. The stock Music app sees 1289 songs, but Remix shows nothing. I've shut down my Pre 2 (VZW, 2.01), removed and re-downloaded Remix, no change.
    EDIT: There is a webOS 2.x bug that causes 3rd party music apps to lose permission to the device's media library. This results in the app not being able to display any music.

A manual workaround is listed below in this post. Jason Robitaille was kind enough to create an IPK that automates (and simplifies) this process.

Here's the link to the IPK: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2774158/ca.c..._1.0.0_all.ipk

If you have Preware or Internalz Pro (homebrew version), you should be able to click the link on your device to install it. Or you can download the IPK and install it on your computer using webOS Quick Install.

Afterward, run Music Player (Remix) and you will be prompted to allow the app access to your media library. Once you allow access, the app will once again be able to display your music.

(NOTE: If you're having issues with your device being detected by webOS Quick Install or with connecting via novacom, try out Jason's Novacom Installer: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ni-v1-1-a.html. But make sure you install it on your default drive (which in Windows is usually the c: drive. It won't work installed on any other drive).

------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I tried to use Remix today and nothing works, I can't play music from bookmarks, faves, and when I open Artists, the screen is blank. The stock Music app sees 1289 songs, but Remix shows nothing. I've shut down my Pre 2 (VZW, 2.01), removed and re-downloaded Remix, no change.
    This has happened to one of my other users. There is a bug in webOS causing this issue. When you first ran the app, you may remember there was a popup that appeared asking you to give the app permission to access your media. After you do this, the app can then access the webOS media library. However there is a bug in webOS where sometimes this permission is revoked unexpectedly. My app checks for permissions when it first loads and if it doesn't have permission for any reason, it will prompt you again to provide permission. However the webOS function that determines if the app has permission is saying it does even though it really doesn't.

So this results in the app not being able to list any songs/albums/artists/etc.

I've opened up a case with Palm and they've logged it as a bug and are investigating. They have provided me with a workaround which should reset the permission flag and allow the app to re-prompt you for permissions. After you give the app permission (via the popup), you'll have access to your music library again.

Are you familiar with connecting to your device and accessing the linux prompt? You can do this with a utility called novacom. Before using this though, you'll need to put your device in Developer mode. Here are the steps you'll follow to fix your issue:

1) Enable developer mode by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" (without quotes) on your device. A "Developer Mode" icon will appear. Tap on it and toggle the switch to "ON" to enable developer mode.

2) Once you do this, connect your device to your computer via the USB cable. Select "Just Charge".

3) If you have webOS Quick Install (WOSQI) version 3.14 installed, open it up and in the application menu select "Tools", then select "Linux command line". Now skip to step 6 below.

4) If you don't have webOS Quick Install (version 3.14) installed, then assuming you're on Windows, go to the Windows Start menu (bottom left corner of the screen) and select "Run". Then type "cmd". A black terminal window will appear.

5) Here you'll type "novacom open tty://" (without the quotes). This will bring you to the Linux prompt on your device.

6) At the Linux prompt, type the following command (make sure you type it in exactly as it appears below):

luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.filenotifyd.jsjsjs $palm$://$com$.$palm$.$db$/$del$ '{&$quot$;$query$&$quot$;:{&$quot$;$from$&$quot$;:&$quot$;$com$.$palm$.$media$.$permissions$:$1$&$quot$;}}'

7) Then type the following command:

stop LunaSysMgr

8) And now one more command:

start LunaSysMgr

9) This will restart Luna. It may go to the HP/Palm logo, but should boot back up fairly quickly. You can now disconnect the device from your computer.

10) Load up my app and it should come up with a popup asking you for permission to access the media library. Once you give it permission, you should have access to all your music.

Please let me know if you have any questions about these procedures. It's not ideal that you have to do this, but it's the only workaround Palm has given us. This bug affects all 3rd party music apps.

And be sure to let me know if it works. You're actually the first person to try this out. I had one other person tell me about the same issue. They decided to doctor their phone since they were having other issues and that fixed it for them. But I'm sure you'd rather not have to do that. (EDIT: THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO WORK)
    Last edited by DanPLC; 03/18/2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Added Jason's easy IPK fix
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  3.    #3  
    I will try it when I'm at my computer after work, I am in developer mode now, but I've never had success with novacom in the past (likely user error). This sequence is typed all at once or returns at the end of each line?
    luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.filenotifyd.jsjsjs $palm$://$com$.$palm$.$db$/$del$ '{&$quot$;$query$&$quot$;:{&$quot$;$from$&$quot$;:&$quot$;$com$.$palm$.$media$.$permissions$:$1$&$quot$;}}'
    I will try it when I'm at my computer after work, I am in developer mode now, but I've never had success with novacom in the past (likely user error). This sequence is typed all at once or returns at the end of each line?
    Typing "novacom open tty://" (without quotes) with your device in developer mode and connected via USB cable should work. If it doesn't for some reason, your novaterm service may be hosed. To fix this, type "services.msc" (without quotes) on the Start->Run popup. This will load the Services application. Find "Palm Novacom" (or it might be "Palm Novaterm") and stop the service. Then restart it. Afterwards, novacom should work.

In answer to your question, the "luna-send" command listed above would be typed out all at once without any carriage returns.

I've reported this latest incident to Palm. They already have it listed as a high priority bug, but I'm going to keep pressing them on it since this has the potential to break any music app (actually any app that accesses your music, video, or image libraries).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

5.    #5  
    Is this still present in 2.1? Would this explain why some tracks I sync'd with WiFi Media Sync didn't show up until I went into USB drive mode? That happened once.
    I will report back how it goes. I've used Remix since the original, and bought the full version when it was available. I had been using the homebrew version on my Pre + (still using it for my calendar-another bug mess). Great app & I reviewed it 5 stars!
    If you're having issues with Novacom, you may also try downloading the latest webOS Quick Install (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v4-04-a.html). I think it has a "re-install Novacom" function. It may also have a built-in way to send "luna-send" commands to the device. I'm not sure though because I've never done that using webos Quick Install.

Is this still present in 2.1? Would this explain why some tracks I sync'd with WiFi Media Sync didn't show up until I went into USB drive mode? That happened once.
    I will report back how it goes. I've used Remix since the original, and bought the full version when it was available. I had been using the homebrew version on my Pre + (still using it for my calendar-another bug mess). Great app & I reviewed it 5 stars!
    I don't know if the bug is present in webOS 2.1 because Palm hasn't identified the cause yet. I really hope it's fixed!

No this wouldn't be the cause of your syncing issue. This bug will only cause all of your music to not show up. It won't affect individual files. I'm not sure how WiFi Media Sync works, so I can't say why some files didn't show up.

Thanks for the continued support of the app. Let me know how the "luna-send" thing works.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC
    I've opened up a case with Palm and they've logged it as a bug and are investigating. They have provided me with a workaround which should reset the permission flag and allow the app to re-prompt you for permissions. After you give the app permission (via the popup), you'll have access to your music library again.
    I'm glad HP recognizes this as an issue. Good to know. I've been getting worried about re-syncing with my computer.. I've been super careful with reboots and making sure to properly close Koto to make sure this issue doesn't pop up with again. It's a pretty significant bug on HP's part I'd say.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I'm glad HP recognizes this as an issue. Good to know. I've been getting worried about re-syncing with my computer.. I've been super careful with reboots and making sure to properly close Koto to make sure this issue doesn't pop up with again. It's a pretty significant bug on HP's part I'd say.
    Yes, it is a very significant bug and I'm going to keep reminding them of that until they can provide an answer as to whether this is fixed in webOS 2.1 and if not when it will be fixed.

Dan,

I'm not having this problem, but I just wanted to thank you for being so considerate, understandable and thorough in your instructions. Not everyone does that. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Dan,

I'm not having this problem, but I just wanted to thank you for being so considerate, understandable and thorough in your instructions. Not everyone does that. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks!
    Well this is a bad problem (having no music show up in a music app), so it's the least I can do. Hopefully the workaround Palm gave me will work.

12.    #12  
    Dan,
    I am glad to report it worked. Took me three tries as I kept fat fingering the enter button when trying to shift & ", but after the luna restarted, I opened Remix and it asked for permission, and my songs were all back. If Palm hasn't fixed this already in 2.1, which hasn't even gotten to VZW yet, it may be a while before this is fixed permanently.
    Thanks for your help!
    Dan,
    I am glad to report it worked. Took me three tries as I kept fat fingering the enter button when trying to shift & ", but after the luna restarted, I opened Remix and it asked for permission, and my songs were all back. If Palm hasn't fixed this already in 2.1, which hasn't even gotten to VZW yet, it may be a while before this is fixed permanently.
    Thanks for your help!
    I'm glad it worked. That's good news.

The pessimist in me thinks this is probably not fixed in 2.1 since they didn't seem to even know about the issue. But maybe I'm wrong...we'll see.

I've made the command into a basic, self-removing package.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2774158/ca.c..._1.0.0_all.ipk

Just install with WOSQI, Internalz, or Preware. During installation it runs the above-mentioned command and then uninstalls itself. Clean and quick
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I've made the command into a basic, self-removing package.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2774158/ca.c..._1.0.0_all.ipk

Just install with WOSQI, Internalz, or Preware. During installation it runs the above-mentioned command and then uninstalls itself. Clean and quick
    Jason Robitaille, YOU THA MAN!!

This thread should be stickied, and/or featured elsewhere for anyone who is having this problem.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Thanks for the IPK! Now we just need someone with the issue to try it out. If someone else contacts me, I'll point them to the IPK.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Just pointed someone to the .ipk, we'll find out if it works shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
    Just pointed someone to the .ipk, we'll find out if it works shortly
    Let me know what happens.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Hmm, he said it didn't work.. So I pointed him toward your command line instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
    Hmm, he said it didn't work.. So I pointed him toward your command line instructions.
    Did he get an error? How did he install it? palm-install SDK won't work.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast