02/25/2011, 10:28 AM
This will be the official discussion thread for the app catalog (webOS 2.x and 3.x compatible) version of Music Player (Remix). Music Player (Remix) is the next generation listening experience on webOS.
If you have any questions, feedback, suggestions, bug reports, etc. for the app catalog version, please post them here.
Here is the app's Changelog:
- Enhancement: Switch to Twitter API 1.1 (1.0 will cease to function on 3/5/13).
- Bug Fix: Fix display issues associated with webOS 3.0.5.
- Bug Fix: Lyric searching was returning a 105 error.
- Enhancement: Modify the “media permissions / no music found” error popup to detect whether the device is a TouchPad. If it is, tell the user the error is due to no music files found on the device since TouchPads don’t have the “media permissions” issue.
- New Feature: Add “New Experiences” autolist for playing a random mix of songs you’ve never listened to.
- Enhancement: Modify the 'Which audio formats are supported' FAQ to indicate that TouchPads running webOS 3.0.4 and later can play OGG and FLAC files.
- Bug Fix: The ‘use device wallpaper’ option would not display properly on phones in landscape mode.
- Bug Fix: Rename “Original Order” label on the Playlist song list screen to “Playlist Order” to prevent the label from wrapping to the next line on the Pre 3.
- Bug Fix: On phones, the “X” on the in-app universal search popup did not remove the popup.
- Enhancement: Improve the display of both native and non-native size wallpaper images.
Notes about the wallpaper change:
* To take advantage of the new wallpaper display fix, you'll need to re-select your wallpaper.
* The 'Use Device Wallpaper' option will work best if the device's wallpaper image is the same size as the device's display resolution.
* On phones, the 'Randomize Wallpaper' option may result in unoptimized display of wallpaper if the random wallpaper image is not the same size as the phone's display resolution. This will not be an issue on the TouchPad.
- Enhancement: Disable karaoke mode on the Pre 3 and TouchPad. It never worked properly due to a bug in the version of webOS running on those devices. The idea behind the karaoke feature was to record yourself while playing the song; however due to this webOS bug, the music will not play while recording. This feature is still enabled on all other devices.
- Enhancement: Slightly modify the “Welcome to Discovery” one-time info popup to discuss the new functionality introduced in version 2.5.5.
- Bug Fix: Mini-player wallpaper wasn’t being displayed properly.
- Bug Fix: The additional notes attached to song posts on the Discovery screen were cut off on phones.
- Bug Fix: When switching songs the remaining time would sometimes display as NaN:NaN:NaN momentarily.
- New Feature: Add the ability to attach a note to the Twitter/Facebook #nowplaying post before posting it. A new ‘notepad’ icon will appear next to the ‘Post to Twitter’ and ‘Post to Facebook’ options. When tapped, a note edit panel will appear. As you type, the # of remaining characters will update based upon the max # of characters allowed in a Twitter/Facebook post. You can also configure the up/down custom gestures on the Now Playing screen to trigger a Twitter/Facebook note on the Preferences screen. Any notes added by Remix users will be displayed on the Discovery screen.
- Enhancement: When tapping on the image avatar of a song posted on the Discovery screen, the specific tweet is displayed where you can reply to or retweet it. This will allow people to comment on other people’s Discovery posts. (NOTE: This will only work for Twitter posts. Tapping on the avatar of a Facebook post will display the user’s Facebooks profile).
- Bug Fix: If you went to the Preferences screen from the Now Playing screen to switch to super-sized mode, the Now Playing screen would not display correctly (applicable to phones only).
- Bug Fix: Double-quotes were not being displayed correctly on the Discovery screen.
- Enhancement: Add a new “Which audio formats are supported” FAQ on the app's Help screen.
- Enhancement: Add a new “How to add music to the device” FAQ on the app's Help screen.
- Enhancement: Add a new “What are flylists” FAQ on the app's Help screen.
- Bug Fix: Fix the display of the album art on the Now Playing screen on the Pre 3.
- Bug Fix: The title bar on the Changelog, Hidden Features, and FAQ screens didn’t display properly in landscape mode on phones.
- Bug Fix: If the album or artist tags in an audio file were missing, the Albums or Artists screen may not have loaded.
- New Feature: On the Artist detail screen, add a new button (bottom-right corner of the screen) to toggle between album list and song list views. Add an option on the Preferences screen ('Misc' section) to choose the default view.
- Enhancement: Add 'Shuffle' and 'Repeat' toggles as customizable swipe options on the Now Playing screen (configurable on the Preferences screen).
- Enhancement: When toggling the Shuffle or Repeat options, display a banner message indicating the new Shuffle or Repeat mode.
- Enhancement: Stretch the wallpaper to the size of the display so you can use wallpaper images that are smaller, larger, or the same size as the device's display.
- Enhancement: Add a blurb to the 'webOS media permissions bug' info popup to indicate the error popup may appear if you don't have any supported audio files on the device.
- Enhancement: Remove the song change notification when manually changing tracks using the mini-player on the device's lock screen.
- Bug Fix: The play/pause media button on the TouchPad bluetooth keyboard was not working (NOTE: the spacebar will also function as a pause/play button. Refer to the FAQ for the other keyboard shortcuts). Thanks to Nick P. for submitting the fix for this.
- Bug Fix: Under certain conditions, downloaded album art would sometimes not appear on the Artists, Albums, or Artist Albums screens.
- Bug Fix: If you loaded a list with a file whose song path contained a bracket and you tried tapping on that song in list view, it would fail to start playing.
- Bug Fix: The song change notification icon would sometimes appear distorted (rainbow dots) on the TouchPad. (NOTE: They will now appear with an upside-down Remix icon).
- Bug Fix: When displaying the app menu on the Pre 3, a small portion of the screen did not blur out like it should.
- Bug Fix: Easter egg #2 can now be solved on the TouchPad.
- Bug Fix: Improve animation of Easter Egg #4 on the TouchPad in portrait orientation.
- Bug Fix: Synced playlists on the TouchPad would sometimes not play and some songs would be missing in the playlist song list.
- Bug Fix: On the Pre 3, skipping songs would sometimes pause the music.
- Bug Fix: Song/Artist/Album info’s width was a little too large in the mini-controls.
Version 2.5.0 (NOTE: This was never released publicly due to submission issues on the HP app portal. Version 2.5.1 was the first 2.5.x release)
- New Feature: Optimize all the screens for full-screen operation on the TouchPad.
- Enhancement / Bug Fix: Implement several UI and other enhancements, as well as several bug fixes.
- Enhancement: Add support for the Pre 3.
- Bug Fix: If an item was added to the Faves list from a screen other than the Home screen, the Fave would not appear on the Home screen until the app was restarted.
- Bug Fix: If the total number of items in all flylists exceeded 500, flylists could no longer be listed. Universal search would also break. (issue identified by Courtney T. via email)
- Bug Fix: If an audio file had a bracket in its file name/path and it was part of a list that was resumed when the app was loaded (using the “Resume Play” feature), it would appear at the top of the list instead of where it should be in the list. (issue identified by NickVTPre and StuntmanMark on PreCentral).
- New Feature: New ‘Oldies but Goodies’ autolist: list songs that you previously listened to often.
- Enhancement: Display “Loading” indicator on the autolist popup when selecting an autolist.
- Bug Fix: If you skipped tracks in a synced playlist, it would cycle through all the tracks in an endless loop. (NOTE: This bug was introduced in version 2.0.17). (issue identified by @dvdmon on Twitter).
- Bug Fix: If you had 'auto resume' enabled and the app was updated, it wouldn't auto-resume. Now after the changelog popup has been removed, the last playlist will auto resume. (issue identified by NickVTPre on PreCentral).
- New Feature: Add the ability to customize different swipe-up and swipe-down gestures for the left and right sides of the album art on the Now Playing screen. The actions associated with each gesture are customizable on the Preferences screen (under the “Now Playing” tab).
- Bug Fix: If a song’s file name/path had a bracket in it, the app could lock up when playing the song. (issue identified by Johnny H. via email).
- Bug Fix: If you initiated a song search via Just Type, duplicate copies of results would be returned. Also if you started a Shuffle All after doing so, duplicate songs would be loaded. (NOTE: This bug was introduced in version 2.0.15). (issue identified by StuntmanMark on PreCentral).
Critical Update: WebOS 2.x has a bug that causes 3rd party music apps to lose permission to the media library. This results in the app not being able to list or play any songs/albums/artists/etc. HP has provided a workaround that can be installed to reset the media permissions.
When the app detects it has lost permission to the media library, it will display information about the webOS bug and provide a link to instructions on how to obtain the HP workaround and install it.
- New Feature: Add two new autolists: “Album Picker” for selecting 6 random albums to choose from. “Artist Picker” for selecting 6 random artists to choose from. (inspired by a suggestion from HaPe on PreCentral)
- New Feature: Add album and song counts under each artist on the Artists screen.
- Enhancement: Change the “safe search” setting to “strict” when searching for album art to reduce the risk of returning objectionable images if the album and song names are somewhat obscure. (issue identified by Darryl G. via email)
- Bug Fix: Sometimes an “Incorrect Signature” error would occur when posting a song to Twitter.
- Bug Fix: Last.FM scrobbling failed when the artist or song name had a “&” (and a few other special characters) in it.
- Bug Fix: Sometimes Twitter song posts would not appear on the Discovery screen.
- Bug Fix: If an album’s artist had a “&” in it and album art was downloaded for the album, the album art would not display correctly on the Now Playing screen. (identified by fiction1990 from PreCentral).
- Bug Fix: If you load the app (with auto-resume preference set on) and you turn the display off immediately, the music will not play until you turn the display back on. Working around this issue by displaying a momentary banner message when auto-resuming. (identified by NickVTPre from PreCentral).
- New Feature: Cache Last.fm scrobbles when there is no internet connection or when the Last.fm server is having issues. When the internet connection is restored, the cachced scrobbles will be sent to Last.FM automatically with the original play timestamps intact.
- New Feature: Add ‘Copy Lyrics to Clipboard’ option to the app menu (on the Lyrics screen). (NOTE: Any paragraph structuring will be lost when copying the lyrics to the clipboard. This is a byproduct of the ‘copy to clipboard’ operation).
- New Feature: Add a hidden way for trial users to email me their user id.
- Enhancement: Slightly decrease the flicking speed necessary to register a swipe gesture on the Now Playing screen. (suggested by volcom45 on PreCentral)
- Enhancement: Modify the ‘Now Playing screen shortcut’ Hidden Feature item on the Help screen to indicate the new way to quickly go back to the Now Playing screen (per the changes in version 2.0.10).
- Enhancement: Add a ‘Resume Play shortcut’ Hidden Feature item on the Help screen.
- Enhancement: Make the ‘upgrade to full version’ code more maintainable (only applicable to the trial version of the app).
- Enhancement: Add references to the Veer (where Pixi is currently referenced).
- Bug Fix: Albums with multple song artists (but the same album artist) would not list all songs. (NOTE: Manual and Auto bookmarks will now also restore the full album; however bookmarks created before this version will not work). (issue identified by Tyron P. via email)
- Bug Fix: Couldn’t type ‘&’ in universal search (issue identified by kel101 from PreCentral).
- Bug Fix: Initiating a search from webOS’s Just Type with certain characters would fail.
- Bug Fix: If you swiped forward in the gesture area to bring up the mini-controls on the albumsongs screen while browsing album art, the display would be garbled. So when browsing album art, displaying the mini-controls will cancel the album art search.
- Bug Fix: If the song and album artists for a particular album differed, an album art search sometimes would fail to produce accurate results (issue identified by YankBoy on PreCentral).
- Bug Fix: If you switched to the Artists, Albums, Genres, or Playlists screens immediately after opening the app, the app would only display 500 songs in the library.
- New Feature: On any of the app’s main screens, if you swipe from left to right in the gesture area (below the screen), mini music controls will pop up allowing you to pause/play, switch tracks, or scrub through the current song. Tapping the song info will load the song’s album. Tapping and holding the song info will load the song’s artist. Also on any of the app’s main screens, swiping from left to right at the top of the screen will return you to the Now Playing screen.
- New Feature: Automatically save downloaded lyrics into a local database so they can be accessed later without an internet connection.
- New Feature: Pinch/zoom the lyrics to decrease/increase the font size. (inspired by an idea from @Fidelitysyndrom on Twitter)
- Enhancement: On the Lyrics screen, pausing the song (by tapping the lyrics) and changing tracks (by swiping the lyrics) are both disabled while recording a karaoke session. This will prevent accidental pauses or track changes while scrolling the lyrics. (idea submitted by volcom45 on PreCentral)
- Bug Fix: The play icon on the artist album list screen was not listing the artist’s songs sorted by album and disk/track number. (issue identified by George W. via email)
- Bug Fix: If you had more than 25 items in the Faves list, Just Type searches would not work. They would still work from within the app, just not from webOS Just Type. (issue identified by volcom45 on PreCentral)
- Bug Fix: If you held shift or grey/orange while in universal search and moved your finger along the screen, garbage characters would be displayed. (issue identified by gollyzilla99 on PreCentral)
- Bug Fix: If you were in playlist preview mode and you swiped forward in the gesture area to switch to playlist view, the app would remain in playlist preview mode while simultaneously displaying the current playlist’s songs.
- New Feature: Add a new configurable 'music controls' mini-player module that includes an icon for returning to the app. This and the other mini-player modules can be configured on the app's Preferences screen (accessible from the app menu). This will be handy for people who do not use the 'scrubber bar' module and would like an easy way to get back to the app from the mini-player. (Suggestion by @Adora on Twitter)
- New Feature: Add an option to the app menu on the Now Playing screen to clear all bookmarks from the current song.
- Enhancement: Add a FAQ (on the app's Help screen) for how to delete bookmarks.
- Bug Fix: Embedded album art appeared slightly blurry when being viewed on the Now Playing screen while in 'super-sized album art' mode. (Issue identified by Malpha on PreCentral)
- Bug Fix: If an album had more than 50 songs, only the first 50 would be displayed. (Issue identified by @webOSquire on Twitter)
- Bug Fix: If you record a karaoke session and played the song until the end, the next song's information would be saved to the karaoke session. (Issue identified by volcom45 on PreCentral)
- Bug Fix: If you went into Playlist Preview mode and then switched between 'standard' and 'super-sized' album art modes, the song information from the current song would overwrite the previewed song's information.
- Bug Fix: Resetting the order of the main menu items could result in duplicate or missing items.
- Bug Fix: When the display is off or the mini-player is displayed on the lock screen, do not show the 'new song' banner. But when the 'new song' banner is issued, display both the artist and song name of the new song.
- Bug Fix: If the app's wallpaper was set to the device's wallpaper, it was not possible to set a custom wallpaper for the mini-player.
- Bug Fix: If the artist or album name contained certain special characters, it was not possible to download the album art.
- Initial release of Music Player (Remix)