webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developer Forums >  Hedami > Music Player (Remix)
Music Player (Remix)
Like Tree75Likes

Old 10/19/2012, 02:16 PM   #1081 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
can the player have a setting to auto minimize on launch so it appears (and resumes last track as it does anyways) straight to dashboard? without having to press the minus icon on now playing?
I don't have any plans to add any new features to my webOS apps including Music Player (Remix). Right now I'm working hard on the Android version of Music Player (Remix), being discussed here in the Android Central forums: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...yer-remix.html

But honestly, is it that hard to press one button? After minimizing it once, you can keep it minimized until you reboot the phone which hopefully isn't too often (well maybe it is...I seem to remember a lot of TMC issues on webOS devices back in the day).

Twitter: @Hedami
DanPLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 02:32 PM   #1082 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
I don't have any plans to add any new features to my webOS apps including Music Player (Remix). Right now I'm working hard on the Android version of Music Player (Remix), being discussed here in the Android Central forums: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...yer-remix.html

But honestly, is it that hard to press one button? After minimizing it once, you can keep it minimized until you reboot the phone which hopefully isn't too often (well maybe it is...I seem to remember a lot of TMC issues on webOS devices back in the day).
i only asked as ive managed to autostart some apps on bootup, starting with garrets 1st weather widget, currently abusing neato to do the same, your awesome app would also be a big contender to autostart straight to dashboard.

gl with your android port however.
Old 10/19/2012, 02:39 PM   #1083 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i only asked as ive managed to autostart some apps on bootup, starting with garrets 1st weather widget, currently abusing neato to do the same, your awesome app would also be a big contender to autostart straight to dashboard.

gl with your android port however.
Yeah I get your point. If you're trying to auto-start the app on bootup, I can see the usefulness of this type of feature.

Old 11/02/2012, 09:24 AM   #1084 (permalink)

Hey Dan. Its been a while since I've poked around this thread. Last time I was in here I mentioned being able to stream music from Google Music. You said also that you would love that. Well I dont know if Google has released the tools to make this available but I have seen that Windows Phone has some apps that allow this which makes me think it may be possible now. Heres some links:

Third party Google Music client for Windows Phone now available | Windows Phone Central

And a video thats not in english but the title seems to indicate that its doing the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8lsFAMScEQ

I know you said you arent really working on webOS at the moment. If you were to add anything to your webOS app though, this would be a great feature.
Old 11/02/2012, 10:27 AM   #1085 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
Hey Dan. Its been a while since I've poked around this thread. Last time I was in here I mentioned being able to stream music from Google Music. You said also that you would love that. Well I dont know if Google has released the tools to make this available but I have seen that Windows Phone has some apps that allow this which makes me think it may be possible now. Heres some links:

Third party Google Music client for Windows Phone now available | Windows Phone Central

And a video thats not in english but the title seems to indicate that its doing the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8lsFAMScEQ

I know you said you arent really working on webOS at the moment. If you were to add anything to your webOS app though, this would be a great feature.
There still is no official Google Music API. Apps that are accessing the Google Music service are doing it with an unofficial 3rd-party API that can break at any time. So no, I won't be implementing it into my app until it's made official because I'd rather not have customers upset about the app breaking out of the blue.

In regards to webOS updates, I won't be adding any new features to my webOS apps. I've been spending the last 2 1/2 months on the Android version of Music Player (Remix). It's almost complete and will be entering beta soon (news will be posted on Twitter @MusicRemixApp). There's also a discussion forum here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...yer-remix.html

It just doesn't make any sense for me to work on webOS development any longer. I don't have any active webOS devices (both my phone and tablet are Android). Plus, the userbase is dwindling by the second. I know there are still a decent amount of people using my apps, but I have to spend my time wisely and I believe Android is the future for me. The things you can do in the Android SDK are crazy. There are almost no limitations to what I can come up with. So I'm definitely enjoying being able to innovate there.

But I'll continue to respond to support emails, forum thread, tweets, etc. regarding my webOS apps. I just probably won't be updating them any further, unless a major issue arises that can be fixed via an update.

Thanked By: jsgraphicart
Old 11/02/2012, 10:38 AM   #1086 (permalink)

Quote:
There still is no official Google Music API. Apps that are accessing the Google Music service are doing it with an unofficial 3rd-party API that can break at any time. So no, I won't be implementing it into my app until it's made official because I'd rather not have customers upset about the app breaking out of the blue.

In regards to webOS updates, I won't be adding any new features to my webOS apps. I've been spending the last 2 1/2 months on the Android version of Music Player (Remix). It's almost complete and will be entering beta soon (news will be posted on Twitter @MusicRemixApp). There's also a discussion forum here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...yer-remix.html

It just doesn't make any sense for me to work on webOS development any longer. I don't have any active webOS devices (both my phone and tablet are Android). Plus, the userbase is dwindling by the second. I know there are still a decent amount of people using my apps, but I have to spend my time wisely and I believe Android is the future for me. The things you can do in the Android SDK are crazy. There are almost no limitations to what I can come up with. So I'm definitely enjoying being able to innovate there.

But I'll continue to respond to support emails, forum thread, tweets, etc. regarding my webOS apps. I just probably won't be updating them any further, unless a major issue arises that can be fixed via an update.
No problem. Just a thought. I too have moved on to android but still have my webOS devices. I saw your link to your android central thread and am looking forward to the release. However, until Google releases an API for their Google Music service, I can't use any other music player other than Google Music. Storing music on my device just takes up to much space now. Google needs to hurry up with that.
Old 12/04/2012, 10:30 PM   #1087 (permalink)

Quote:
The things you can do in the Android SDK are crazy. There are almost no limitations to what I can come up with.
Please oh please tell us that instant playlists from search results is one of those things. It is that one feature that keeps me booting WebOS right now because it is so incredibly useful. Thank you for such a great app. It has been well used by me for both work and play, and it made my life easier because it is so versatile.
katefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 10:34 PM   #1088 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katefields View Post
Please oh please tell us that instant playlists from search results is one of those things. It is that one feature that keeps me booting WebOS right now because it is so incredibly useful. Thank you for such a great app. It has been well used by me for both work and play, and it made my life easier because it is so versatile.
I'm not sure what you mean by "instant playlists from search results". Can you elaborate?

I'm glad you like the app. If you haven't seen my post on Android Central, be sure to check it out. I just opened the public beta for the Android version.

Old 12/23/2012, 07:45 PM   #1089 (permalink)

For anyone who's either jumped ship to Android or has a secondary Android device, be sure to check out Music Player (Remix) in the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sicplayerremix

Old 12/23/2012, 11:21 PM   #1090 (permalink)
Banned

What are the advantages of Music Player Remix against something like JetAudio Plus or PowerAMP Full, which cost less? Could you list out how the feature sets match up?

I have an LG Optimus G (Sprint) and have bought the two apps I listed above (I use JetAudio Plus 99% of the time; the equalizer and codec support are freakin' top-notch among other neat features), but am interested in seeing how Music Player (Remix) translates to the Android platform and matches up.

I just really need some convincing that spending another $4.99 is worth it. It's a pretty high price to ask compared to the established kings of the Android hill that have some pretty robust feature sets and set the bar for successful music players incredibly high at a considerably lower price point.

If Music Player (Remix) can match JetAudio Plus's full feature set (and then some, considering the price), you've got a sale.

Thanks in advance!
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 08:03 AM   #1091 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
What are the advantages of Music Player Remix against something like JetAudio Plus or PowerAMP Full, which cost less? Could you list out how the feature sets match up?

I have an LG Optimus G (Sprint) and have bought the two apps I listed above (I use JetAudio Plus 99% of the time; the equalizer and codec support are freakin' top-notch among other neat features), but am interested in seeing how Music Player (Remix) translates to the Android platform and matches up.

I just really need some convincing that spending another $4.99 is worth it. It's a pretty high price to ask compared to the established kings of the Android hill that have some pretty robust feature sets and set the bar for successful music players incredibly high at a considerably lower price point.

If Music Player (Remix) can match JetAudio Plus's full feature set (and then some, considering the price), you've got a sale.

Thanks in advance!
Take a look at the video I posted on the Play Store site and you'll learn about some of the unique features in the app. I don't think any other Android music app can match Music Player (Remix) in its user experience.

Also try the 14-day free, full-featured trial and decide for yourself. When you try out some of its features, like being able to swipe up from the bottom of the screen from within another app to reveal the mini-player, you'll understand why it's worth it.

In regards to the price, a lot of the top music apps run for $5, including Poweramp (which apparently is $1 off right now). I priced Music Player (Remix) at $5 because I've used all those other music apps and I know firsthand how Remix is a way better experience. So matching their price is a great deal.

Last edited by DanPLC; 12/24/2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01/19/2013, 07:54 AM   #1092 (permalink)

hi dan

just an opinion, it'll be great if you add fitur like offline lyric reader, that can save downloaded lyric to local storage, and show it when you play the song
thank you for such a great app

Last edited by kibauu; 01/19/2013 at 08:04 AM.
kibauu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 07:59 AM   #1093 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibauu View Post
hi dan

just an opinion, it'll be great if you add fitur like offline lyric reader, or able to save downloaded lyric.
thx u for such a great app
The app already automatically saves downloaded lyrics into a local database. So the next time you view lyrics for the song, it won't have to retrieve it from the internet.

The recently-released Android version (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sicplayerremix) goes a step further. It actually embeds the lyrics within the music file so you can then view the lyrics not only within the app, but within any other app that reads embedded lyrics. And if there are already lyrics present in the music file, it'll pull them up (vs. having to download them from the internet).

BTW, speaking of new feature requests. Unfortunately there will be no more new features added to the webOS version. I'm spending all of my time on the Android version. I appreciate all the webOS users who have stuck with Music Player (Remix) which is why I still answer support questions (like this one); however I can't justify spending any more development time on the webOS version. Plus all my devices are Android now, so I have a personal interest in improving the Android version since it's my most-used app (love listening to music on my mobile devices).

Old 02/26/2013, 06:11 AM   #1094 (permalink)

Version 2.5.11 is now available in the app catalog. The app now uses Twitter API 1.1 (1.0 will cease to function on 3/5).

NOTE: Even though the app has been updated, there will not be any regular updates to this app (new features, bug fixes, etc.). I'll only be updating my webOS apps when there is a critical issue. In this case, Quick Post was going to be completely non-functional after 3/5 when Twitter retired version 1.0 of its API. And while I was updating Quick Post, I figured I'd also update Music Player (Remix) since it also has some Twitter functions (posting song to Twitter, Discovery).

Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Thanked by cujoq37, stickerboy, toaste
Old 02/26/2013, 06:59 AM   #1095 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I appreciate you still take the time to update this for us, even when it's only critical bugfixes. I hope that we'll see webOS back in any way of form in the future on tablets and phones, which in turn I hope will bring you back to "the good side" and develop more great apps!

Seeing Enyo 2 is more and more maturing, it should be easier for your and other devs as well to develop cross platform using PhoneGap compared to what it was before
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cujoq37 and geekpeter like this.
Thanked By: DanPLC
Old 02/26/2013, 07:35 AM   #1096 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I appreciate you still take the time to update this for us, even when it's only critical bugfixes. I hope that we'll see webOS back in any way of form in the future on tablets and phones, which in turn I hope will bring you back to "the good side" and develop more great apps!

Seeing Enyo 2 is more and more maturing, it should be easier for your and other devs as well to develop cross platform using PhoneGap compared to what it was before
When I developed the Android version of Quick Post, I used a cross-platform development tool called Appcelerator Titantium. In theory cross-platform sounds great, but in reality it's limiting. You're never going to have full access to all the features available on a development platform (Android, iOS, etc.) and your apps will never look and perform as well as they could if developed natively. Also you're at the mercy of bugs in the cross-platform library. For instance, Appcelerator has a bug where Android apps will not initially launch after installation if launched directly from the Play Store (or its installation notification). This provides users with a less-than-optimal experience and there's nothing I can do to fix it (since the bug is in Appcelerator, not in my code).

For the Android version of Music Player (Remix) I developed it using native Android (Java) and by doing so I'm able to provide a much richer user experience than I could with cross-platform (actually Remix would not even be possible using Titanitum or Phone Gap).

So I don't see myself ever going to a cross-platform environment using Enyo 2 or any other framework. For me, native development is the way to go.

Old 02/26/2013, 07:47 AM   #1097 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
When I developed the Android version of Quick Post, I used a cross-platform development tool called Appcelerator Titantium. In theory cross-platform sounds great, but in reality it's limiting. You're never going to have full access to all the features available on a development platform (Android, iOS, etc.) and your apps will never look and perform as well as they could if developed natively. Also you're at the mercy of bugs in the cross-platform library. For instance, Appcelerator has a bug where Android apps will not initially launch after installation if launched directly from the Play Store (or its installation notification). This provides users with a less-than-optimal experience and there's nothing I can do to fix it (since the bug is in Appcelerator, not in my code).

For the Android version of Music Player (Remix) I developed it using native Android (Java) and by doing so I'm able to provide a much richer user experience than I could with cross-platform (actually Remix would not even be possible using Titanitum or Phone Gap).

So I don't see myself ever going to a cross-platform environment using Enyo 2 or any other framework. For me, native development is the way to go.
Fully appreciate your considerations and choices! It of course also depends a lot on the kind of apps you develop. Since you're more leaning towards the PDK/Native kind of apps it's more logical not to use PhoneGap, Enyo etc. However in case you'd be more into the web apps, I believe it would make sense to use PhoneGap, Enyo etc instead of native bits on each platform!

I still love Remix and I am still very happy with it
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 08:06 AM   #1098 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Fully appreciate your considerations and choices! It of course also depends a lot on the kind of apps you develop. Since you're more leaning towards the PDK/Native kind of apps it's more logical not to use PhoneGap, Enyo etc. However in case you'd be more into the web apps, I believe it would make sense to use PhoneGap, Enyo etc instead of native bits on each platform!

I still love Remix and I am still very happy with it
The way you're thinking about the term "native" is different than the way I'm referring to it. In webOS, there are actually three "native" development environments: Mojo Javascript (using the SDK), Enyo Javascript (using the SDK), and C/C++ (using the PDK).

With Android there are 2 native development environments: Java (using the SDK) and C/C++ (using the NDK).

None of my apps are the PDK/NDK type (which are mostly games and other apps that have specialized graphical user interfaces or make use of other lower-level resources on a device).

When I say "native" I basically mean anything not using a cross-platform tool. All of my apps could be developed cross-platform with the exception of Music Player (Remix). But that's only because none of the cross-platform tools currently allow access to the media library. However even if Phone Gap or Titanium ever added media library access, I wouldn't go cross-platform for the reasons I previously specified. Providing the best user experience is my #1 priority and you can't do it with cross-platform.

Old 02/17/2014, 07:12 AM   #1099 (permalink)

Hi,

I have just purchased 4 MP3 Albums from Amazon and downloaded then using the Amazon tool. I then connected my HP Touchpad in the normal way, clicked to access the Touchpad folders via the USB and copied over the newly purchased/downloaded music in my normal way of using Windows explorer (done this 100's of times).

1 of the MP3 albums is recognised by Music Player (remix) and lists under Artist or Album, the other 3 are nowhere to be seen. I rebooted my HP Touchpad to see if that makes a difference but it doesn't so I am now left with 4 albums that I have purchased and only 1 that I can play/enjoy.

Any help?

Regards,
Kevin
KevinRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2014, 08:00 AM   #1100 (permalink)

Sounds like a media index issue. There is a 'patch' for that in Preware and I'm pretty sure there is a thread about in here too. This thread may help too: What to do when Media Indexer Refresh doesn't work
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0