Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 1107
Like Tree76Likes
  1.    #521  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Dan, just curious, if you had a TouchPad provided for you at no cost, would you proceed with this project? I'm betting that there's plenty of us in this thread that could donate enough small sums to cover or nearly cover your new TouchPad with your discount. I know I'd be willing to make the 1st donation.. You should setup a poll and see how many would be willing to donate to the cause of getting you a TouchPad to make an enyo port of Music Remix.. Betcha it would happen with the quickness.
    I appreciate that, but I would never ask people to donate to get me a TouchPad. It's my responsibility to purchase my own test devices.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  2.    #522  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    The issue Dan is talking has nothing to do with the MediaIndexer not finding files. That is a completely separate problem that is annoying, but not fatal.

    What Dan is talking about, and which I can confirm is still present, is that under certain circumstances, like an OS update, the permissions file that allows Third Party apps to access the MediaIndexer can get corrupted/deleted. As a result, those Third Party apps are unable to use the MediaIndexer at all. While there are ways around that, they leave a lot to be desired (see the problems noseph is having with my app).

    The issue with the MediaIndexer not finding all music is an inconvenience, but it is not fatal. The issue with the MediaIndexer losing permissions is fatal; Dan will get blamed for his app not working, when in fact the problem is WebOS, and there is nothing he can do.

    And I can confirm it is still a problem; I actually thought I would have to doctor my Pad when it corrupted the permissions for Audiophile (which uses a hybrid approach).
    I'm disappointed, although not surprised, to hear that the media permission bug is still present in webOS 3.0. That is definitely a big deterrent in jumping into Remix Enyo development.

    Did you try running the media permission reset IPK to fix your issue? If so, did it work?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  3.    #523  
    I'll be joining the webOSRoundup podcast tonight at 9pm EST. If you're interested in hearing my take on some of these nagging issues (like the media permissions or media indexing bugs), be sure to check it out.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  4. #524  
    Dan, I had been airing some of my grievances with developer relations in the ranking belts post on Precentral recently, and who but Richard Kerris decides to chime in. I kept pushing to get an answer from him, and apparently at least the media indexer bug looks like it will be fixed for "the upcoming OTA update which is being tested now."

    The new tiered webOS developer program gives devs a belt | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

    He has not responded yet whether it is on the Touchpad or if there is an upcoming Pre 2/Veer update.

    I know it's been just a whole lot of talk from HP for almost nine months now, but it's something.

    I didn't know there was yet another media bug affecting your app, so I didn't ask him about that one.
  5. #525  
    Dan,

    I started using a hybrid approach only recently. The idea was to cut down on fails, but it has not gone according to plan.

    I was able to fix the problem by running the ipk fix, so at least there is that.
  6.    #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    Dan,

    I started using a hybrid approach only recently. The idea was to cut down on fails, but it has not gone according to plan.

    I was able to fix the problem by running the ipk fix, so at least there is that.
    I'll pass this info onto HP...hopefully they can provide an update on when this will be fixed. Was really hoping they'd have the bug fixed in 3.0.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  7. #527  
    I just moved from a Pre- to a Veer, and Music Remix 2.0 did not transfer over. Do I need to purchase it again b/c of the Veer screen size? I didn't mind the thought of the $3.99 until I read the thread above indicating that you might not even receive the $$--that's terrible!! (btw GeoStrings transfered over without any problem.) And on a related issue: I used to use MediaMonkey to synch, but it seemed to put files in weird places and always needed a reboot for Music Remix to find them. My nephew recommended Songbird--do you have any experience with it? And finally, please don't give up on HP--you are the best developer we've had, and and we need you going forward!!
  8. #528  
    Go to the app catalog and find MPR. If it is recorded on your profile that you have bought it, then it will say Download for Free.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9.    #529  
    Quote Originally Posted by collaborative_learning View Post
    I just moved from a Pre- to a Veer, and Music Remix 2.0 did not transfer over. Do I need to purchase it again b/c of the Veer screen size? I didn't mind the thought of the $3.99 until I read the thread above indicating that you might not even receive the $$--that's terrible!! (btw GeoStrings transfered over without any problem.)
    Just as sledge007 mentioned, any apps you purchased previously will be available to you for download in the catalog for free. This is assuming you're using the same Palm Profile as you were on your previous device.

    If the app catalog is asking you to re-purchase the app, then my guess is you purchased the web feed version. You can access it by clicking this link: https://developer.palm.com/appredire....hedami.mprweb

    Quote Originally Posted by collaborative_learning View Post
    And on a related issue: I used to use MediaMonkey to synch, but it seemed to put files in weird places and always needed a reboot for Music Remix to find them. My nephew recommended Songbird--do you have any experience with it?
    There are issues with media indexing in webOS 2.x (and 3.x apparently). There's a thread on PreCentral discussing possible solutions. Just search for "media indexing".

    I don't have any experience with Songbird. I used to use MediaMonkey, but have since resorted to simply copying the files over in USB mode.

    Quote Originally Posted by collaborative_learning View Post
    And finally, please don't give up on HP--you are the best developer we've had, and and we need you going forward!!
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm still trying to work out what I'll do next in regards to webOS development.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  10.    #530  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'll pass this info onto HP...hopefully they can provide an update on when this will be fixed. Was really hoping they'd have the bug fixed in 3.0.
    Chuq emailed me yesterday confirming the media permissions bug is still in 3.0; however he said the fix is in the upcoming OTA update. He still doesn't know if/when a fix will be deployed on 2.x devices.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  11. #531  
    'ello! I finally got a device that is greater than 1.4.5 and so sad to see MPR isn't in the app catalog. Is it because it is the touchpad and its not compatible that prevents me from buying it?
  12.    #532  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    'ello! I finally got a device that is greater than 1.4.5 and so sad to see MPR isn't in the app catalog. Is it because it is the touchpad and its not compatible that prevents me from buying it?
    Yeah I'm not making the app available on the TouchPad due to several issues it has running in Mojo Emulation mode. I don't want to offer it knowing it doesn't work perfectly. Also I can't fully test it without an actual device. So even if there weren't known issues, I wouldn't feel comfortable releasing it without testing it on an actual device.

    The only app of mine I've marked as "TouchPad compatible" is Quick Post. That's because I was able to test all of its functionality on the emulator, and I had several people with TouchPads verify it worked (after I made a few changes).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  13. #533  
    +1 with collaborative_learning I sure hope they get their together enough to sway you back I thoroughly enjoyed MPR and although they did a decent-ish job with the native player for the TouchPad, they leave much to be desired after using MPR for so long. I do like having 30GB of tunes with me though
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  14.    #534  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    +1 with collaborative_learning I sure hope they get their together enough to sway you back I thoroughly enjoyed MPR and although they did a decent-ish job with the native player for the TouchPad, they leave much to be desired after using MPR for so long. I do like having 30GB of tunes with me though
    The native TouchPad music app is ok, but very plain and barebones. Part of me really wants to jump in and create something more worthy of the TouchPad. But when you keep getting emails from people reminding you of the ridiculous HP bugs that never get fixed, it brings you back to reality.

    As an example, today I received 2 emails:

    - One person asked why Music Player (Remix) was no longer available on the TouchPad ("you giveth, and then taketh away"...actual quote).

    Before the TouchPad was released, I tested the app on the emulator and found several issues related to bugs in their Mojo emulation. So I marked the app as "not compatible with the TouchPad". Yet when it was released, HP distributed my app to the TouchPad due to a bug on their app portal site. So now I get to answer emails from people wondering why they can't re-download the app.

    - Someone using a Pre 2 (webOS 2.0.1) emailed me saying they were interested in buying my app but couldn't see it in the catalog. They asked me "why are you advertising it as being available when it's not".

    This is due to yet another HP app portal bug that has been around for about 2 months. I've lost count of the number of emails I've received like this. And of course there's all the emails from international folks who can't access paid apps.

    A big reason why I've halted webOS development is that I'm sick of getting these types of emails. Most of my support emails are due to HP bugs that never get resolved. I'd say about 90%...not exaggerating. Developers shouldn't have to deal with b.s. like this. When you publish an app, it should just work. Why am I giving HP 30% of the cut when they aren't fulfilling their end of the deal?

    So this is something I'm struggling with now... I'd really like to get into Remix for the TouchPad (the ideas in my head are bouncing around like crazy), but these emails are reminding me of how far HP is away from being able to provide a stable developer environment.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  15. #535  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Yeah I'm not making the app available on the TouchPad due to several issues it has running in Mojo Emulation mode. I don't want to offer it knowing it doesn't work perfectly. Also I can't fully test it without an actual device. So even if there weren't known issues, I wouldn't feel comfortable releasing it without testing it on an actual device.

    The only app of mine I've marked as "TouchPad compatible" is Quick Post. That's because I was able to test all of its functionality on the emulator, and I had several people with TouchPads verify it worked (after I made a few changes).
    Ahh ok. Yeah, love to see QP works just fine on the TP. Love the Just type feature now that I am able to experience it
  16.    #536  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Ahh ok. Yeah, love to see QP works just fine on the TP. Love the Just type feature now that I am able to experience it
    Yeah Just Type was one of the best features of webOS 2.0.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  17. #537  
    When you put it that way, I don't blame you, but it's still a shame. Finger's crossed they can reach around their legs, with both hands and pull their heads out of their ............
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  18. #538  
    Just an FYI. I had the media indexer bug happen to me again. I am not running the latest build, and I am stressing it more than a normal user would, but still. That is twice in the span of a month.
  19.    #539  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyuepik View Post
    Just an FYI. I had the media indexer bug happen to me again. I am not running the latest build, and I am stressing it more than a normal user would, but still. That is twice in the span of a month.
    If it happens after the upcoming OTA update, please post back here, because it's supposed to be fixed in that release.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  20. #540  
    Dan: Do you have a plan to fix the [ ] bracket issue in the path of music in MPR? It is seriously annoying to have to manually change the song that is playing every time i load the app...

Posting Permissions