Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    However the fact that your icons disappeared after the app updated sounds like a webOS bug. I'll pass it onto Palm, but I'll need some info to send them:

- What type of device are you using (Pre 2, Pre+, etc.)
    - What version of webOS are you using? Also specify whether this is a standard image or a meta-doctor ("FrankenPre")
    - Do you have any patches, kernels, themes, etc. installed?
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I'm using a Pre 2, web 0S 2.0.1. I have a few patches (Add date, Battery Prcent as Icon, Big Caller ID, Data in device menu), but no themes.
    And thanks for the tip on deleting the icons, I learn something new on here everyday! Let me know if you need anything else.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdmc View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I'm using a Pre 2, web 0S 2.0.1. I have a few patches (Add date, Battery Prcent as Icon, Big Caller ID, Data in device menu), but no themes.
    And thanks for the tip on deleting the icons, I learn something new on here everyday! Let me know if you need anything else.
    Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to Palm.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that one of the FAQs on the app's help screen talks about launcher shortcuts and mentions how to remove them. Seriously folks...if you haven't checked out the resources on the app's help screen, go check it out! There's a lot of information there and you may learn a trick or two about the app that you didn't know.

I'm still working on the updated video tutorials. I finished them last night and am now in the process of rotating them for viewing full-screen on the phone. I'll post here once the new videos are online and ready to be viewed.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 03/02/2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Dan,

Just bought (and tweeted about) the web feed version, so thanks! Question: have you considered reaching out to Audible about incorporating its DRM into your player and becoming its de factor webOS client? No idea what the financial (or technical) issues would be, but it might be a serious market differentiator for you. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Dan,

Just bought (and tweeted about) the web feed version, so thanks! Question: have you considered reaching out to Audible about incorporating its DRM into your player and becoming its de factor webOS client? No idea what the financial (or technical) issues would be, but it might be a serious market differentiator for you. {Jonathan}
    Thanks for the tweet (and purchase)...I just saw it.

There are both technical and financial barriers preventing the app from supporting Audible:

- I'm sure it would cost a decent amount of money to license Audible support. I'm not sure I have enough sales to justify that even if it's possible.

- The webOS media indexer doesn't include Audible files when you request the list of songs/albums/artists/etc. So I'd have to write a PDK module to add the Audible support as well as create my own media indexer. In addition to the work involved in doing this, there are some major disadvantages to not using the webOS media indexer. For instance, I wouldn't have the ability to control a bluetooth headset. I also wouldn't be able to automatically pause music when a phone call came in. These are features built into the webOS media indexer.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

For some reason, in Karaoke mode, when I let the song finish playing and save by itself when it's finished, it is naming my karaoke header info with the following song in the playlist rather than the one I just sang to.. What do I need to do to avoid this? Thanks Dan.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    For some reason, in Karaoke mode, when I let the song finish playing and save by itself when it's finished, it is naming my karaoke header info with the following song in the playlist rather than the one I just sang to.. What do I need to do to avoid this? Thanks Dan.
    I'll investigate this. Until this is fixed, just tap on the karaoke bar at the top of the screen prior to the song ending.

Hey Dan, I went ahead and purchased the app! I found that the blurry album art issue seems to still be present for me. The follow album art images are probably about 600x600 pixels...they take up a large part of my computer screen. This is how it looks on MPR and NaNplayer. The MPR version looks kinda blurry to me (check the album title on the art):

screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Hey Dan, I went ahead and purchased the app! I found that the blurry album art issue seems to still be present for me. The follow album art images are probably about 600x600 pixels...they take up a large part of my computer screen. This is how it looks on MPR and NaNplayer. The MPR version looks kinda blurry to me (check the album title on the art):

Thanks for the purchase!

It looks like the bottom of the album art image is cut off in the NaNplayer screenshot. As a result, the album art is zoomed in and therefore the portion of the image that is displayed is shown with greater detail (since you're using such a high resolution image).

Try downloading an album art image in Music Player (Remix) that is 300x300. You can do this by tapping the song/artist/album info on the Now Playing screen to go to the album song list screen. Then tap the album art avatar at the top of the screen to download album art.

Then try to download the same album art image (with the same resolution) using NaNplayer. I bet you the difference in blurriness will be drastically reduced and/or eliminated.

9.    #29  
    Another idea I had was that maybe two different images are embedded within the music file (or stored in the folder). Perhaps my app is displaying the lower resolution image. Can you check that file (or folder) to see if you have two different images?

I'm thinking this might be the issue because I just downloaded album art that was 500x500 and the text is crystal clear on my device. So as another test, you can try downloading a high resolution (500x500 or higher) within my app and see if it displays ok (no blurriness).

Well, with the first NaNplayer image, what it actually does is that the player controls part is movable, so when notifications come up that part essentially moves up and covers the album art, but the album art itself does not change, if that makes sense.

I think you're right about there maybe being two images. Do you have a program suggestion for the best way to check? All of my album art is embedded into MP3 files, but I'm wondering if sync programs are creating a smaller resolution image in the file for mobile devices. That said, I do have a song with a high res image I straight copied to the device (did not sync) which has a blur problem in MPR, but maybe it came with two images on it. I'm not really sure.

But I did manage to download a 450x450 image to both MPR and NaNplayer (kinda tricky, since NaN does not really work on 1.4.5, haha), and it came out pretty okay. So I'm not too sure what's up. If anyone has a public domain file that shows up nicely in MPR that they would be willing to share with me to test on my device, that would be great, too.

screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  11.    #31  
    I used to use Media Monkey to sync my music, and yes it does actually have an option to downgrade the resolution when syncing the files. So it's very possible that something like that is happening. And yes it does look blurry when this happens. I remember I did this once by accident and it looked horrible.

The screenshots you displayed above look similar in quality. The only difference is you have a notification in the Remix screenshot which would cause the album art to squish vertically. When notifications (or other similar items) are on the screen, I dynamically resize the album art and next/previous buttons to compensate.

To check if there are two embedded images, you can use MP3Tag. Just right-click the file and select "Extended Tags". You can also do the same type of thing in Media Monkey. However I'm not sure if it would also show hidden images stored in the folder. You might have lower-res images there as well.

I just checked on Tron, MP3 Tag found one 600x600 image. I bought this album from the AmazonMP3 app, so I didn't sync it with anything, but it's still kinda blurry in Remix. This is a Koto screenshot to compare with, since it is more similar in size to Remix.

I don't have any hidden images, so I can't really say what is different on my device. I went looking to see if there's a database of some sort hidden on my device, but I didn't see anything. I'll do some experimenting with wiping and transferring on my own later to see what kind of results I get.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  13.    #33  
    There's another way to determine if there are multiple images being stored for each file. Open up the Preferences screen in my app and select "Choose Wallpaper Image". There's a bug in webOS 2.x where album art shows up in the image picker. So you should be able to type the album name and find the folder within the image picker. If there is more than one image for this album, open up each one and see if any of them are lower resolution. I just tried on a random album and it actually had four images stored and one of them was blurrier than the other ones.

Let me know if that's the case. If so, it may be possible to modify the code to check the resolution of each album art image and choose the one with the highest resolution.

Maybe they fixed that bug in 2.1? I don't have any album art showing up in the picker. But all my album art is embedded, I don't have files sent to folder.jpgs or anything.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Maybe they fixed that bug in 2.1? I don't have any album art showing up in the picker. But all my album art is embedded, I don't have files sent to folder.jpgs or anything.
    Did you verify that the song stored on your phone has only 1 embedded album art image? If so, then I'm not sure why it would display differently. Can you PM me with a link to one of the songs that is blurry so I can test it out on my device? Or just email me the file (hedami.support at gmail dot com).
    When I demoed the Karaoke feature last night to a good friend of mine (with an android phone), he loved it but then asked, so can you upload that to Facebook or anything? I was like hmmm, well not very easily.. thats a good point. A real nice touch might be an upload to Facebook, or Youtube, or some sort of online source in which you can share the link with a friend via SMS or email or what not..
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    When I demoed the Karaoke feature last night to a good friend of mine (with an android phone), he loved it but then asked, so can you upload that to Facebook or anything? I was like hmmm, well not very easily.. thats a good point. A real nice touch might be an upload to Facebook, or Youtube, or some sort of online source in which you can share the link with a friend via SMS or email or what not..
    That's already in the works.

EDIT: By the way, if you follow me on Twitter and caught something I said a little while back you would know I was working on something really cool in regards to this type of sharing feature. Think "Discovery" for karaoke sessions. We'll see if there are any future American Idol stars out there (or whatever American Idol type show people are watching in their countries).
    Last edited by DanPLC; 03/03/2011 at 08:37 AM.
  18.    #38  
    I think I know what's causing the "blurry album art" issue. Thanks malpha for bringing it to my attention and sending me the files. I'll test out my theory tonight and should have it fixed in the next release.

19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I think I know what's causing the "blurry album art" issue. Thanks malpha for bringing it to my attention and sending me the files. I'll test out my theory tonight and should have it fixed in the next release.
    It was what I thought it was. It was rendering each image at a lower resolution of 200x200. Now it uses the full resolution of the display. It's amazing I never noticed this issue...all of my album art looks so much nicer now! Thanks again for discovering this issue.

Here's a screenshot of one of the songs you sent me (after implementing the fix):

20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    the issue with the "now playing *song name here*" is still present when the song is changed from the lock screen.
    Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to fix this. The API to determine if the screen is locked is private. I tried calling it and it failed because my app id doesn't have permission.

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast