View Poll Results: How likely are you to purchase the app if you could access it?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would definitely purchase the app for my webOS 2.1 frankenpre if I could.

31 65.96%
  • I may possibly purchase the app for my webOS 2.1 frankenpre if I could.

8 17.02%
  • I would only purchase the app for my webOS 2.1 frankenpre if I could use the trial version.

0 0%
  • I've already purchased the app and left a review in the app catalog.

6 12.77%
  • I've already purchased the app and plan on leaving a review right after voting in this poll!

1 2.13%
  • I've already purchased the app and have no plans on leaving a review.

1 2.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With the release of the O2 Pre+ webOS 2.1 image, a lot of work is being done to create a safe way of installing webOS 2.1 on Pre-'s and Pre+'s. However it looks like the only way that will work is if the OS version presented to the app catalog is "1.4.5". This prevents people from seeing 2.0-only apps such as Music Player (Remix).

So there could be a bunch of people who would want to purchase the app but cannot do so. So I have three choices:

1) Set my min OS version from 2.0 back to 1.4.5.

2) Create a separate app package with a min OS version set to 1.4.5 and submit it to the Palm web feed without publishing it as a public app. I would then broadcast the app's installation url to the community.

3) Do nothing.

I've decided against option #1 because I don't want 1.4.x users installing an app that won't work for them. Now that I have the option of setting the min OS version to 2.0, I'm going to use it.

So that leaves us with options #2 and #3. Option #2 is going to cause me more work since I'll have to maintain three app packages (app catalog full version, app catalog trial version, and web feed full version).

So before I choose between options #2 and #3, I wanted to get some feedback from webOS 2.1 users on whether they'd be interested in purchasing the app if it was available in the web feed. The more votes I get, the more likely I'll go with option #2.

I'm also going to use the poll to determine how many people who have already purchased the app have left a review. If you have purchased the app, please take a minute to review it.

(NOTE: If you are a 1.4.5 user who purchased the app to support it and didn't get a chance to review it, you don't have to vote since there's no way for you to review it now that it's marked "2.0 only" in the catalog).
    Last edited by DanPLC; 02/24/2011 at 02:47 PM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I am a 1.4.5 user that purchased MPR 2.0 but there does not appear to be a way to review now (not that my review would be based on MPR 2.0), since it is not in my list of purchased apps for my current device. I guess I could mark #6 but I do not want to skew your results. If you want me to vote I will.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    I'll definitely buy it once I can get my hands on the Pre3.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    I am a 1.4.5 user that purchased MPR 2.0 but there does not appear to be a way to review now (not that my review would be based on MPR 2.0), since it is not in my list of purchased apps for my current device. I guess I could mark #6 but I do not want to skew your results. If you want me to vote I will.
    In your case, I wouldn't vote in the poll since the reason you can't leave a review even if you wanted to.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

5.    #5  
    Anyone who's using a webOS 2.1 frankenpre, can you try going to this address on your phone: Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

I'm wondering if people can purchase the app if they visit the url directly (vs. going through the catalog). If anyone was looking to purchase the app, try it out and see if it works. Then report back here.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Didn't work for me. I get the same message as if I tried to access it through preware or the app catalog.

+1 for a version in the web feeds. I purchased koto player today, but would come back to remix if you make it available. I do really like the just type integration, so will stick with the other for now..

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Anyone who's using a webOS 2.1 frankenpre, can you try going to this address on your phone: Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

I'm wondering if people can purchase the app if they visit the url directly (vs. going through the catalog). If anyone was looking to purchase the app, try it out and see if it works. Then report back here.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrabble View Post
    Didn't work for me. I get the same message as if I tried to access it through preware or the app catalog.

+1 for a version in the web feeds. I purchased koto player today, but would come back to remix if you make it available. I do really like the just type integration, so will stick with the other for now..
    Thanks for letting me know what happened. I figured it was worth a shot.

Can the web feed take payments? You don't plan to give the app away do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelitySyndrom View Post
    Can the web feed take payments? You don't plan to give the app away do you?
    The web feed can take payments. However, if you ever want the App Catalog version (which would restore after a doctor, web apps don't) then you'd have to pay for that Catalog version separately from the web version.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 02/24/2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The web feed can take payments. However, if you ever want the App Catalog version (which would restore after a doctor, web apps don't) then you'd have to pay for it a second time.
    I'm ok with paying for it again. Who knows, maybe at some point HP will allow promo codes that could allow a disount on the catalog release. Regardless, I hate for this all to be too much work for Hedami having to support 3 application versions. Maybe the web feed version could be a testing ground for the official version, just packaged into the 1.4.5 marker.
  11.    #11  
    The web feed can take payments. However, if you ever want the App Catalog version (which would restore after a doctor, web apps don't) then you'd have to pay for it a second time.
    Is this really true? I would think once you purchase an app, you would be able to go back to the app via the url and re-download it. It seems silly that they wouldn't allow this for web feed apps.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Is this really true? I would think once you purchase an app, you would be able to go back to the app via the url and re-download it. It seems silly that they wouldn't allow this for web feed apps.
    I think you can go back via the URL and re-download it. I probably wasn't clear enough, I meant to say that it wouldn't auto-restore like all of the App Catalog apps.

For me, that's enough of a hassle to stick to App Catalog versions whenever possible.
  13.    #13  
    I think you can go back via the URL and re-download it. I probably wasn't clear enough, I meant to say that it wouldn't auto-restore like all of the App Catalog apps.

For me, that's enough of a hassle to stick to App Catalog versions whenever possible.
    Yeah but at least you wouldn't have to re-purchase it.

Trust me, I'd rather not have to release it in the web feed. I'll make a decision based upon the results of this poll.

I'm hoping HP can just release the standard doctors for all Pre+'s out there (and Pre-'s would be nice too). I think we've already proven that legacy devices can run webOS 2.1.

14.    #14  
    Thanks to everyone who voted in the poll. Based on the feedback, I decided to post a separate "FrankenPre" version to the web feed. Here's the link: http://developer.palm.com/appredirec....hedami.mprweb

Once the link goes live (hopefully in a few hours), people running "FrankenPres" (Pre-'s and Pre+'s upgraded to webOS 2.1) can download the app there. People running a "normal" webOS 2.x image (like Pre 2 users and O2 Pre+ users) should download the app from the regular app catalog. However there is no functional difference between the regular app catalog version and the web feed version.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Thank you! Will purchase it later tonight...

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrabble View Post
    Thank you! Will purchase it later tonight...

Thanks! The link isn't live yet, but hopefully will be soon. I've never submitted an app to the web feed, so I don't know how long it usually takes. The app submission web site says "up to 24 hours", so it should be sometime today.

Web feed is still not available. Once it does become available I'll go ahead and purchase it. I do miss the homebrew edition but am looking forward to the full 2.0 version. Where will I be able to go to leave a review of the app?
    Thanks for the continued great work. I remember when it was just a tweak to the standard music player app. It is great to see how those little tweaks gave way to this awesome, and almost necessary, app.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by maleoutkast View Post
    Web feed is still not available. Once it does become available I'll go ahead and purchase it. I do miss the homebrew edition but am looking forward to the full 2.0 version. Where will I be able to go to leave a review of the app?
    Thanks for the continued great work. I remember when it was just a tweak to the standard music player app. It is great to see how those little tweaks gave way to this awesome, and almost necessary, app.
    Yeah the web feed is taking awhile. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

When the link goes live, you'll be able to click the link to open up the app catalog. There you'll be able to download the app and review it. Also later you can access the app catalog page to leave a review by tapping on the "Review Music Player (Remix)" entry in the app's menu or on the Help screen.

Thanks for sticking around with the app for so long. Yeah it's funny how it all started...as a few little tweaks like a scrubber bar and the alphabet selector.

awesome, thanks for putting it up for us franken pre owners. im gonna download it as soon as the link goes live
  20.    #20  
    Well the link is still not live after 24 hours. I seem to always have the worst luck with the Palm app submission site. If it hasn't gone live by tomorrow, I'll email Palm.

So everyone looking for the app, please be patient! We'll get there eventually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast