View Poll Results: What do you think is a fair price for Music Player (Remix)?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Free

4 3.01%
  • $0.99

8 6.02%
  • $1.99

26 19.55%
  • $2.99

31 23.31%
  • $3.99

20 15.04%
  • $4.99

35 26.32%
  • $5.99

4 3.01%
  • $6.99

3 2.26%
  • $9.99

1 0.75%
  • More than $10 (if you vote for this, please specify the amount in the comment section below)

1 0.75%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been contemplating what to charge for Music Player (Remix) once it's released into the catalog. I've put a lot of work into this project and I think I've created an app that will really improve the way people listen to music on their mobile devices. But at the same time I want it to reach as many people as possible. People can sometimes be funny about paying too much for an app; however the app catalog has kinda been starving for good apps for awhile now, so I think once the webOS 2.0 apps come out, people will be willing to pay a fair price for a good app.

So considering all of these factors, what do you think is a fair price for Music Player (Remix)? All votes and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Incidentally, I'm not going to share the value I'm leaning towards. I don't want to influence the voting.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Well just looking in the catalog now, Im pretty sure you would be the only one with a music PLAYER in the official catalog. The iTunes remote sells for $4.95 and thats just a remote for iTunes. I think you would do good around the same price.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Well just looking in the catalog now, Im pretty sure you would be the only one with a music PLAYER in the official catalog. The iTunes remote sells for $4.95 and thats just a remote for iTunes. I think you would do good around the same price.
    Music apps aren't allowed in the app catalog in webOS 1.x which is why you're not finding any. There will be other music apps in the catalog after webOS 2.0 is released.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Music apps aren't allowed in the app catalog in webOS 1.x which is why you're not finding any. There will be other music apps in the catalog after webOS 2.0 is released.
    Ah, ok. Well then I dont know how to compare. I actually saw Pocket Playlist in there for $3.99. I'd say you'd be good around 4 bucks.
    I voted for $4.99. I anywhere from $4 to $7 would be a fair price.
  6.    #6  
    Another consideration in your voting should be all of the enhancements I've made in the private beta that have not made it into the public beta. The private beta (webOS 2.0 compatible version) will be the one submitted to the app catalog. I've talked about some of these enhancements in my YouTube videos as well as in this post: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2820770

I've also recently uploaded a new video talking about some other enhancements including a new type of auto-bookmark, so look out for that video soon (it's still being processed by YouTube).

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Ah, ok. Well then I dont know how to compare. I actually saw Pocket Playlist in there for $3.99. I'd say you'd be good around 4 bucks.
    Having the prices of other similar products would be helpful, but unfortunately we don't have that information. So the feedback everyone provides will have to be solely based upon the merits of the app itself.

$5 is about 3.20 uk - seems more than fair to me. The price doesn't bother me much tbh though, I'd gladly pay whatever is decided for such an amazing app
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by stickerboy View Post
    $5 is about 3.20 uk - seems more than fair to me. The price doesn't bother me much tbh though, I'd gladly pay whatever is decided for such an amazing app
    Thanks a lot! And thanks for voting.

$5 is fair, but you're going to have to weigh what is fair and what's going to make the most amount of money. While $5 is fair, if you only sell say 100,000 units for $500,000.... selling for $3 and selling 250,000 units gets you $750,000. I'm happy either way, but that is something to consider for sure. And thanks again for releasing a Beta that feels like a finished product, I love it. Looking forward to your future endeavours
    I voted for 2.99 because I feel that your app needs to be showcased in the small app community that Palm currently has. I think a higher price might shy people away from it. Newer Palm/HP devices will definitely help but people who come across from other carriers will not have had an opportunity to use the beta and understand the great features of this app.

On the flip side, I'll buy it at whatever price. It's a great app and I've enjoyed the beta versions very much.

Thanks for all your work.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    $5 is fair, but you're going to have to weigh what is fair and what's going to make the most amount of money. While $5 is fair, if you only sell say 100,000 units for $500,000.... selling for $3 and selling 250,000 units gets you $750,000. I'm happy either way, but that is something to consider for sure. And thanks again for releasing a Beta that feels like a finished product, I love it. Looking forward to your future endeavours
    Are there even 100,000 active webOS app downloaders out there? But yeah I know what you're talking about.

I appreciate the comment about the beta feeling like a finished product; however really the private beta is the finished product. It's pretty much ready to release right now and has been for awhile. Even though I'm calling the app "version 2.0", at this point it really is more like 2.2 since I've had time to add a bunch of new stuff while waiting for Palm to release webOS 2.0.

i'd say 2.99. There will be others competing for music player dominance. Plus, palm can always update their stock app.

I would even consider a free version add supported version...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    I voted for 2.99 because I feel that your app needs to be showcased in the small app community that Palm currently has. I think a higher price might shy people away from it. Newer Palm/HP devices will definitely help but people who come across from other carriers will not have had an opportunity to use the beta and understand the great features of this app.

On the flip side, I'll buy it at whatever price. It's a great app and I've enjoyed the beta versions very much.

Thanks for all your work.
    Very good point and it's definitely something I'm considering.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i'd say 2.99. There will be others competing for music player dominance. Plus, palm can always update their stock app.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I would even consider a free version add supported version...
    There won't be a free ad-supported version. I just prefer to keep ads out of my apps. But at some point I'll have a trial version where people can try it out for a little while.

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    $4.99 seems to be a very fair price to me.
    I voted for $4.99, I know for a fact that I will pay that much without a second thought for this app when it's available in the catalog.

As for what's fair? Honestly, you could easily charge $10-$15 for the app with all the features you've packed into it and I, for one, would still buy it. However, with so few apps in that price range, and the very real possibility of cheaper competition being available, I would expect that you'd get MORE than twice as many sales at $5 than you would at $10.

Once you go over that $4.99 mark, I think you're going to get a lot of people skipping over the app without bothering to find out why it's worth more. Just my opinion.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I would like to vote for $20.00, that is what I paid for a decent music player on Windows Mobile 3 years ago, and MPR is so much more. I know that the app scene pricing has changed so much 3 years, mostly fueled by Apple's App Store introducing cut rate prices for quality applications, however I believe that WebOS currently does not have the volume to sustain a full-time developer with cut rate pricing. I will gladly pay what ever you want to charge on both mine and my wife's Pre+.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    $3. It's a step above penny pincher price, but not so high that one will hesitate to purchase for the hope of something cheaper or better. It's not an impulse buy price, but close enough to that level that the quality and proven good performance in beta trials will provide the incentive to quickly convince the consumer that Remix is a good buy.
    I voted for $1.99. Now, what would push it into the $10 range for me, is if you were able to hook into the recently ported mplayer for video playback. I haven't played with the mplayer port so I'm probably dreaming over here, but one can still dream
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast