View Poll Results: What do you think is a fair price for Music Player (Remix)?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Free

4 3.01%
  • $0.99

8 6.02%
  • $1.99

26 19.55%
  • $2.99

31 23.31%
  • $3.99

20 15.04%
  • $4.99

35 26.32%
  • $5.99

4 3.01%
  • $6.99

3 2.26%
  • $9.99

1 0.75%
  • More than $10 (if you vote for this, please specify the amount in the comment section below)

1 0.75%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    An introductory price (so all your fans on Precentral can jump on it and pile on the 5-star reviews, of course) will be crucial, in my opinion. I also think you will be able to charge a much higher price if folks can try it out and see how great it is first. Spending more than $2.99 on an app that you don't know if you'll like (just based on reviews) will be difficult for most. However, a time-based (say, one-week) free trial will get people hooked. Going back to the built-in app after that will be torture that users will pay more to get out of.

So, without free trial, $2.99. With free trial, $4.99. It's worth more than that, but I hear a lot of devs get surprised by how tight-fisted app buyers are.
    I'm not surprised by the tight-fistedness (I know I made that word up) of buyers. GeoStrings has always been $2.99 which I think is reasonable for the service it provides. And it has sold pretty well, but still the 10-day free trial version has had many more downloads. Some people just don't like spending money on apps. It's a fact of life.

But personally I think Music Player (Remix) has a bigger potential to sell well because more people care about listening to music than they do about getting location-based reminders. Location-based reminders, while not a completely unique idea, is a bit more "out there" than listening to music on a portable device.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    New users would want a free trial for a week.

Basic Music Player (Remix) customer might pay a couple bucks.

Long-time users like me would pay $5 for Music Player (Remix) Pro.

You will see a numbe rof competitors at the same time but none will be as good as you. The trick is to get them to try Remix to see that they are not all alike.

So have three price-points just like they all do in the Android Marketplace. Allow upgrades from basic to Pro. As they click features not in the basic version a popup would offer the Pro fro a $1.99 upgrade.

That model is working so well for so many.

- Craig
    The Palm app catalog doesn't really provide a mechanism for upgrades. But even if it did, I don't think I'd want to offer a "basic" version. I don't want people to use a watered-down version of the app. I want them to experience the whole app.

But at some point I will offer a trial version. I just haven't decided yet whether it will be available on Day 1. The feedback in this thread will help me determine all these things. However I'm leaning towards having the trial available right away.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

was originally gonna vote 2.99 when i saw the poll, but started reading some of the comments and realized how far the player has come, decided to go w/ 4.99, as for the trial version would definitely be a good idea, 15 - 30 day trial version, would be more than enough time to get someone hooked w/ all the goodies and tweaks they would do and wouldnt want to go to a different app

Another good thing about the price point would be all the instant reviews and high ratings you will get

basically anywhere between 2.99-4.99 would be great, and as someone mentioned, having like an opening week sale at the lower price point wouldnt be a bad idea either
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    was originally gonna vote 2.99 when i saw the poll, but started reading some of the comments and realized how far the player has come, decided to go w/ 4.99, as for the trial version would definitely be a good idea, 15 - 30 day trial version, would be more than enough time to get someone hooked w/ all the goodies and tweaks they would do and wouldnt want to go to a different app

Another good thing about the price point would be all the instant reviews and high ratings you will get

basically anywhere between 2.99-4.99 would be great, and as someone mentioned, having like an opening week sale at the lower price point wouldnt be a bad idea either
    I think 30 days is a bit too much. I'm thinking more along the lines of 7-14 days.

But I agree with everything else you said and it seems to match the general consensus in this thread.

I think the 30 day trial is too long also, but a 14 day trial would be good imo. It would give people a longer time to really get use to it. Then they would miss all the great features if they didn't buy & would be more likely to do so. Actually, they will love it right away & should want to purchase it!
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    I think the 30 day trial is too long also, but a 14 day trial would be good imo. It would give people a longer time to really get use to it. Then they would miss all the great features if they didn't buy & would be more likely to do so. Actually, they will love it right away & should want to purchase it!
    Yeah I think 14 days is plenty of time to get hooked.

i think 4.99 is more than fair .. i've following this app since the start and is really awesome!!!
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    I voted $1.99, for anything more than that, I would just use the stock music app. Even at $2, I ;d probably wait a while to buy it.
    I'm curious, have you purchased any apps over $2? If so, what was the most expensive one, and was it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    Dont forget, on many platforms, $1.99 is too expensive for most apps.
    The prices on other platforms is irrelevant because webOS users don't have the choice of purchasing apps in those app stores. They own webOS devices and thus can only purchase apps in the Palm app catalog. So the price I choose should make sense for this app catalog, not others.

Several iOS games have been ported over to webOS and in many cases they're more expensive here. The reason is the smaller customer base. Less people results in more money being charged for higher quality apps.

I wouldn't pay anything over $2. Your best bet is to price it aggressively and sell as many as you can before competitive competing apps enter the marketplace. If they make the mistake of pricing too high, at least there will be existing incentive to buy your app instead due to the price point. Seeing how some of the other apps work, MPR may be fighting an uphill battle soon after others are released.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    I wouldn't pay anything over $2. Your best bet is to price it aggressively and sell as many as you can before competitive competing apps enter the marketplace. If they make the mistake of pricing too high, at least there will be existing incentive to buy your app instead due to the price point. Seeing how some of the other apps work, MPR may be fighting an uphill battle soon after others are released.
    I'm biased of course, which is why I created this poll, but I kind of see it the other way. I think everyone else is going to be battling up the hill to match the innovation I've created in Music Player (Remix). As an avid portable music listener, now that I've experienced some of the features I've created (in-app universal search in any screen, one-tap access to Faves, flylists with songs/albums/artists/genres/playlists, various auto-bookmarks, autolists, etc.), I couldn't listen to music on-the-go any other way and I'm hoping other people will feel the same way. A trial version, as others have pointed out, will definitely help in this regard.

But as I said I'm biased and I respect your opinion, as well as everyone else's in this poll. But luckily the results of the poll (so far) indicate most people have a more optimistic view of my app's potential competitiveness.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I chose the $5 option, of all the music player apps currently available for webOS, MPR is definitely best in class.

admittedly, I never bothered to volunteer for the NANplayer beta but from what I've seen of NAN, it seems to be more focused on elegance, simplicity and prettiness than features and customizability.

$2.99 seems to the be point of entry for a quality webOS app but I believe MPR is easily worth the $4.99 price point and I've already bought several apps (not just games) priced at five dollars or more (though I suspect I'm in the minority).
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    $2.99 seems to the be point of entry for a quality webOS app but I believe MPR is easily worth the $4.99 price point and I've already bought several apps (not just games) priced at five dollars or more (though I suspect I'm in the minority).
    You probably are in the minority. It's amazing how $5 seems like a lot of money to people, but most people spend it in a heartbeat in daily situations such as a fast food restaurant or a coffee shop. But when it comes to apps, they put on the brakes.

I admit I'm the same way. When I see a $5 app, I feel like I have to really know if it's worth it before considering a purchase.

I was already leaning towards $5, which is what I voted for. I do want to add that I agree with the whole 14 day free trial idea for those poor souls who don't know what they are missing. I love and evangelize MPR, and would happily pay whatever price you choose to charge. I also promise an absolutely glowing review of both the app and the dev, once this is available.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    It's amazing how $5 seems like a lot of money to people, but most people spend it in a heartbeat in daily situations such as a fast food restaurant or a coffee shop. But when it comes to apps, they put on the brakes.
    I think that is the sad truth... looking for the majority... after using the beta i would be glad to pay up to 10,00 € - but i think the most other wouldn´t... so maybe it could be a way for selling it for 3,99-4,99 € (and maybe open a way for donating for the people how are the opinion, thats it was to cheap).
    Remebering how expensive PalmOS apps sometimes where... e.g. Pockettunes or DateBK...

And:
    Sorry for my english.... ;-))
    In Deutsch wäre es einfacher gewesen...!
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I was already leaning towards $5, which is what I voted for. I do want to add that I agree with the whole 14 day free trial idea for those poor souls who don't know what they are missing. I love and evangelize MPR, and would happily pay whatever price you choose to charge. I also promise an absolutely glowing review of both the app and the dev, once this is available.
    Yeah I'm leaning towards having a trial version available on day one. I'll definitely appreciate if anyone who purchases the app leaves a review. The more glowing reviews I get, the higher up on the "Hottest Apps" list it'll be, which can't hurt.

16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael75Pre View Post
    I think that is the sad truth... looking for the majority... after using the beta i would be glad to pay up to 10,00 € - but i think the most other wouldn´t... so maybe it could be a way for selling it for 3,99-4,99 € (and maybe open a way for donating for the people how are the opinion, thats it was to cheap).
    Remebering how expensive PalmOS apps sometimes where... e.g. Pockettunes or DateBK...

And:
    Sorry for my english.... ;-))
    In Deutsch wäre es einfacher gewesen...!
    10 € is way too much, but I appreciate the sentiment. You're correct that back in the old days of PalmOS, people paid more for apps. I remember spending much more money on apps for my old Windows Mobile PDA.

17.    #57  
    I wanted to thank everybody for voting in the poll and providing feedback. I think I've settled on a price and this poll had a direct impact on that decision. I won't reveal it quite yet, but once the app is ready to be released, I'll post more details and my reasoning based upon the results of this poll.

The poll will remain open, so if anyone hasn't voted, please do. The final results of this poll will be a large factor in the determination of the final price.

I won't reveal it quite yet, but once the app is ready to be released, I'll post more details and my reasoning based upon the results of this poll.

You forgot "In the coming months" in there somewhere.

M.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    You forgot "In the coming months" in there somewhere.

M.
    With the recent news of webOS 2.1 being pushed out (accidentally?) to some phones, I have a feeling "coming months" is quickly dwindling to "coming weeks" or perhaps "coming days".

Yeah I'm leaning towards having a trial version available on day one. I'll definitely appreciate if anyone who purchases the app leaves a review. The more glowing reviews I get, the higher up on the "Hottest Apps" list it'll be, which can't hurt.
    I was thinking instead of a trial version, why not offer a Light version that always remains free with very limited features, and then the Pro offering for those of us who are willing to pay for the full featured version you've worked so long and hard to create. This way everyone will still be using your app.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast