View Poll Results: What do you think is a fair price for Music Player (Remix)?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Free

4 3.01%
  • $0.99

8 6.02%
  • $1.99

26 19.55%
  • $2.99

31 23.31%
  • $3.99

20 15.04%
  • $4.99

35 26.32%
  • $5.99

4 3.01%
  • $6.99

3 2.26%
  • $9.99

1 0.75%
  • More than $10 (if you vote for this, please specify the amount in the comment section below)

1 0.75%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshamano View Post
    I voted for $1.99. Now, what would push it into the $10 range for me, is if you were able to hook into the recently ported mplayer for video playback. I haven't played with the mplayer port so I'm probably dreaming over here, but one can still dream
    If I added 3D video (no glasses required), I bet it would push it up another $8.

But seriously, no there isn't going to be video support added to the app. If I did that, I couldn't call it Music Player (Remix), could I?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I voted for $3.99. As of now, I'm definitely in the minority, but here's my reasoning, for what it's worth.

I would readily pay more than $10 for MPR, but that's because I know what a great app it is. What concerns me is that setting a price that many may perceive as being higher than the price of "most" apps may create a barrier that will discourage purchasers and ultimately hurt DanPLC. I think $3.99 is a compromise that could be attractive to a wide variety of potential purchasers.

Another factor is somewhat less tangible; the support that DanPLC has provided on this forum is, in my opinion, nothing short of astonishing. Whenever I log in to P|C, it seems there is always a question regarding MPR, and there is always a reply from the developer. I can't imagine that this kind of support will be available after MPR is available in the App Catalog, and hopefully it won't be necessary, but it is a "value added" factor that I don't think can ever be reflected in the App Catalog price.

I'll happily pay whatever price DanPLC determines is appropriate, and I wish him enormous success. It is certainly well deserved.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    I voted for $3.99. As of now, I'm definitely in the minority, but here's my reasoning, for what it's worth.

I would readily pay more than $10 for MPR, but that's because I know what a great app it is. What concerns me is that setting a price that many may perceive as being higher than the price of "most" apps may create a barrier that will discourage purchasers and ultimately hurt DanPLC. I think $3.99 is a compromise that could be attractive to a wide variety of potential purchasers.

Another factor is somewhat less tangible; the support that DanPLC has provided on this forum is, in my opinion, nothing short of astonishing. Whenever I log in to P|C, it seems there is always a question regarding MPR, and there is always a reply from the developer. I can't imagine that this kind of support will be available after MPR is available in the App Catalog, and hopefully it won't be necessary, but it is a "value added" factor that I don't think can ever be reflected in the App Catalog price.

I'll happily pay whatever price DanPLC determines is appropriate, and I wish him enormous success. It is certainly well deserved.
    Your vote may technically be in the minority, but it's also in the center of both majorities.

Support is very important and will continue to be provided on here after the app catalog release. People can also email me or send me a message on Twitter.

I appreciate your feedback...it's very helpful.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

I voted $3.99. That seems to be an average price for some of the higher quality useful apps currently in the catalog and a good selling point. I do feel your app is worth more than $3.99 but I think you'd get more buyers more quickly at $3.99 and in the end would make more money by doing so. I wouldn't sell it for any less than that for sure, you've put far too much work into it!
    I voted $3.99. What would make it be worth more for me is if you could play audible.com files and have the ability to log in your audible password for download. I'd gladly pay $10 if you can work with audible for an audible.com ability. I'd also pay $5.99 for a separate audible app if you can't get audible to agree to a combined player that plays it all.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I voted $3.99. What would make it be worth more for me is if you could play audible.com files and have the ability to log in your audible password for download. I'd gladly pay $10 if you can work with audible for an audible.com ability. I'd also pay $5.99 for a separate audible app if you can't get audible to agree to a combined player that plays it all.
    I don't think that's going to be possible. From what I understand Audible uses a proprietary format/container, so only Audible will be able to provide a webOS client.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    If I added 3D video (no glasses required), I bet it would push it up another $8.

But seriously, no there isn't going to be video support added to the app. If I did that, I couldn't call it Music Player (Remix), could I?
    hahaha, quite right
    I love this app & will pay anything for it. Maybe you can do a 1 week intro price to get some buzz about it. A trial app would be very helpful to get some exposure too. I think MPR is worth a lot but the way things are about prices, a starting price of 2.99 or 3.99 for 1 week would be a good start. Then raise it up a buck or 2. It's really a great app & the more people are willing to buy it, the more you will make in the long run. Thanks for this wonderful app & I will buy it at any cost, it's worth it. I can't wait for it & plan on giving it a great review!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    I love this app & will pay anything for it. Maybe you can do a 1 week intro price to get some buzz about it. A trial app would be very helpful to get some exposure too. I think MPR is worth a lot but the way things are about prices, a starting price of 2.99 or 3.99 for 1 week would be a good start. Then raise it up a buck or 2. It's really a great app & the more people are willing to buy it, the more you will make in the long run. Thanks for this wonderful app & I will buy it at any cost, it's worth it. I can't wait for it & plan on giving it a great review!

Yeah that's definitely something I'm considering.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    What about Ampache support? I'm just wondering, it's not even a suggestion at this point.

M.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    What about Ampache support? I'm just wondering, it's not even a suggestion at this point.

M.
    It's possible I may add some type of streaming support in the future. But it's not something I have planned in the immediate future.

I agree this app could or should be worth more than most apps. I wish Dan could get something for the incredible support he provides for this app and the community. (I see him all over the place in the palm dev forums). I wish you all the best Dan, really wish Palm would buy this program from you and put it in all Palm phones, tablets, etc.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    I agree this app could or should be worth more than most apps. I wish Dan could get something for the incredible support he provides for this app and the community. (I see him all over the place in the palm dev forums). I wish you all the best Dan, really wish Palm would buy this program from you and put it in all Palm phones, tablets, etc.
    Thanks a lot! Yeah I'm pretty active on the Palm Dev forums. In the early days, I remember posting questions on there and getting no response. It was frustrating being a webOS amateur. But it's a lot better on there now. There are a ton of helpful people on there, including the Palm folks.

Speaking of tablets, man I'm going to do some crazy things with this app on a tablet.

I voted 5.99 because I thinks its worth at least that and it is what I would be willing to pay without hesitation.
    But going back to some of the comments earlier, a could see the point in releasing at an introductory price (say 3.99) for a week, and then once you have few hundred 5 star reviews (which it will easily get) put it up to a reasonable price 5.99/6.99 and let the app sell itself.

Whatever way you choose to do it I hope it sells successfully, its a great app.

Doubt you want give the whole tablet game away yet, but do you want to give a little hint at what you got planned?

An exhibition mode for MPR on a tablet would be amazing.
    Being able to remote control MPR on a tablet (plugged into speakers) from my pre would be a dream, doubt its practical though.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    while 4.99 may seem "fair" never under estimate how "frugal" users can be.

you may sell a few at the higher price range but to hit the masses, I'm thinking .99-1.99 range.

don't get caught up with pride, the markets are very humbling.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I voted 5.99 because I thinks its worth at least that and it is what I would be willing to pay without hesitation.
    But going back to some of the comments earlier, a could see the point in releasing at an introductory price (say 3.99) for a week, and then once you have few hundred 5 star reviews (which it will easily get) put it up to a reasonable price 5.99/6.99 and let the app sell itself.
    Yeah early reviews are going to be crucial. I'll definitely ask people on here who do purchase the app to leave a review. Every review will count!

Whatever way you choose to do it I hope it sells successfully, its a great app.
    Thanks...I hope so too!

Doubt you want give the whole tablet game away yet, but do you want to give a little hint at what you got planned?
    Obviously I've been focusing my time on the phone version, but I do have some ideas for a tablet. The larger screen space opens up a lot of possibilities and I'm definitely going to take advantage of it. Think along the lines of the Faves list on the home screen. Even on a small display, it was possible to provide multiple functions on a single screen. Now imagine what can be done on a larger tablet.

An exhibition mode for MPR on a tablet would be amazing.
    Being able to remote control MPR on a tablet (plugged into speakers) from my pre would be a dream, doubt its practical though.
    I've got some things cooking up for Exhibition mode (on the phone). I'll be interested in seeing what the dock/touchstone looks like on a tablet.

I have a feeling the Palm phones and tablets will all interconnect. Based upon some of the recent HP interviews I've seen, it seems like their vision will be to connect phones, tablets, PCs, printers, and other devices using webOS.

17. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    An introductory price (so all your fans on Precentral can jump on it and pile on the 5-star reviews, of course) will be crucial, in my opinion. I also think you will be able to charge a much higher price if folks can try it out and see how great it is first. Spending more than $2.99 on an app that you don't know if you'll like (just based on reviews) will be difficult for most. However, a time-based (say, one-week) free trial will get people hooked. Going back to the built-in app after that will be torture that users will pay more to get out of.

So, without free trial, $2.99. With free trial, $4.99. It's worth more than that, but I hear a lot of devs get surprised by how tight-fisted app buyers are.
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post

I voted $3.99 for the same reasons. I've been using this app since it's inception and use it every day. DanPLC's support and responsiveness regarding the app is more than anyone could ask from a dev. In any case I'm sure it will be a success, because this community rewards excellence, and appreciates the creative spirit that embodies this application making it a perfect compliment to webOS.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I voted $3.99 for the same reasons. I've been using this app since it's inception and use it every day. DanPLC's support and responsiveness regarding the app is more than anyone could ask from a dev. In any case I'm sure it will be a success, because this community rewards excellence, and appreciates the creative spirit that embodies this application making it a perfect compliment to webOS.
    Any support I can get from the community in spreading the word about the app will be much appreciated.

New users would want a free trial for a week.

Basic Music Player (Remix) customer might pay a couple bucks.

Long-time users like me would pay $5 for Music Player (Remix) Pro.

You will see a numbe rof competitors at the same time but none will be as good as you. The trick is to get them to try Remix to see that they are not all alike.

So have three price-points just like they all do in the Android Marketplace. Allow upgrades from basic to Pro. As they click features not in the basic version a popup would offer the Pro fro a $1.99 upgrade.

That model is working so well for so many.

- Craig
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast