View Poll Results: Which layout do you like better?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The new layout (larger album art)

30 62.50%
  • The current layout (smaller album art with visible Previous and Next tap areas)

18 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been playing around with a new layout for the Now Playing screen featuring larger album art. The side touch panels (for switching tracks) would be eliminated. With the new layout, you would switch tracks by tapping on the left or right side of the album art. Tapping in the middle of the album art would pause/play the current track.

I've created two identical screenshots, one with the current layout, and one with the new layout. I'd like to hear people's opinions on which one they like better. I'm teetering back and forth, so I need help!

Please vote in the poll above and also discuss your opinions in this thread.

Here is the new layout:

Here is the current layout:
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  2.    #2  
    Also if you really love or hate the new layout vs. the current layout, please let me know by posting a comment in the thread.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

I like the new layout, but you may have to overlay an arrow '>' on each side of the artwork so people see how to change tracks (you know how people are)
    I actually prefer the "old" layout. I find it more aesthetically pleasing and balanced. But that's just my taste, and it's not like the new version is bad, or anything.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Happy New Year, DanPLC!

I have a feeling everyone's going to like the larger album art, even though your original design was the more intuitive interface.

EDIT: HelloNNNewman's suggestion was better than mine.
    Overlay translucent arrows on top of the album cover, then provide the option to hide these on the preferences screen.

Another welcome option would be to let the user toggle the swiping behavior between preview and next track. You could even add left/right taps within the gesture area to perform the other function.
    Last edited by zParticle; 01/01/2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I like the new layout but would prefer something like the default webOS music player's song transitions or an iPod style transition/view.
    I love this app but think transitions between songs is currently lacking.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I like the new layout, but you may have to overlay an arrow '>' on each side of the artwork so people see how to change tracks (you know how people are)
    I would display a popup when they first entered the screen telling them what to do. Also the controls would be documented in the "Hidden Features" section on the app's help screen.

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I actually prefer the "old" layout. I find it more aesthetically pleasing and balanced. But that's just my taste, and it's not like the new version is bad, or anything.
    Thanks for the feedback. This poll and the opinions in this thread will help me decide what to do.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    New layout is better.
    DaVince >IIIxe > Visor Platinum+visorphone > Clie-SJ33 > Tungsten T3>Palm TX>LifeDrive(Flash)>Treo 650>Treo 700p>PalmPrePlus2.1
    if you like album art then bigger is better, so why not just get rid of the border and let it take up the whole width of the screen?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    if you like album art then bigger is better, so why not just get rid of the border and let it take up the whole width of the screen?
    I would still want a thin border for two reasons:

- Aesthetics: I like the look of the wallpaper seeping through the small border around the album art image. It just looks sharp...and it matches the look of the rest of the app where the wallpaper seemp through on the other screens.

- If I make the wallpaper take up the width of the screen (320x320), I wouldn't have enough room for the song/artist/album info. It needs to be an area that can be easily tapped because this is how you get to the album song list screen (or if you tap and hold this area you can list all the albums of the current songs's artist).

So I think the reasons above warrant using a 290x290 album art image vs. 320x320. 290x290 is pretty close to 320x320.

if it's possible, it would be nice that when notifications are enlarged, the album art should keep it's aspect ratio
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Happy New Year, DanPLC!
    Same to you!

I have a feeling everyone's going to like the larger album art, even though your original design was the more intuitive interface.
    I may land up implementing both layouts and have an option to switch between them. This poll will help me determine which the default layout will be if I choose to do that.

EDIT: HelloNNNewman's suggestion was better than mine. Overlay translucent arrows on top of the album cover, then provide the option to hide these on the preferences screen.
    Similar to the pause/play function, I wouldn't display any actual controls. I would display a popup the first time the user loaded the screen to explain the hidden controls.

Another welcome option would be to let the user toggle the swiping behavior between preview and next track.
    You can already do this on the Preferences screen.

You could even add left/right taps within the gesture area to perform the other function.
    I'm going to be using taps in the gesture area for something else. I just haven't announced it yet.

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by shulem unger View Post
    if it's possible, it would be nice that when notifications are enlarged, the album art should keep it's aspect ratio
    I'm going to be playing around with this. So yes, it's something I'm going to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I may land up implementing both layouts and have an option to switch between them. This poll will help me determine which the default layout will be if I choose to do that.
    I think this is the best option. If it's easy enough to do, why not give people the option within the app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    Would the new layout affect rewinding when listening to a book? I'm mostly using the app for books & if I miss something I rewind. I love the keyboard option but depending on what I'm doing, I need this screen option too. If it works the same as before then the new screen would be find by me. By the way, this is my favorite app! Thanks for doing such a wonderful job with it.
  17. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    +1
    I like the tap to lay and pause,but how about swipe left and right to change songs?
    I like the new with larger album art. How hard would it be to move the forward/backward controls to the left/right of the now playing info? Would that end up not playing well with long titles?

If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Rendition

If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast