View Poll Results: Which layout do you like better?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The new layout (larger album art)

30 62.50%
  • The current layout (smaller album art with visible Previous and Next tap areas)

18 37.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I like the tap to lay and pause,but how about swipe left and right to change songs?
    By default, swiping allows you to preview songs in your current playlist without interrupting playback of the current song. But there's an option on the Preferences screen to treat swiping as instantaneous track changes. So you can already set it up to do this.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    How about a setup-option to toggle between old and new? That would be nice!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    I think this is the best option. If it's easy enough to do, why not give people the option within the app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Whether I go through the effort of adding both as an option will depend on the feedback I receive in this poll (both voting and comments). Right now the voting is pretty close between the two layouts, so I'm leaning towards providing both layouts as an option.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    Would the new layout affect rewinding when listening to a book? I'm mostly using the app for books & if I miss something I rewind. I love the keyboard option but depending on what I'm doing, I need this screen option too. If it works the same as before then the new screen would be find by me.
    The on-screen controls would be identical.

Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    By the way, this is my favorite app! Thanks for doing such a wonderful job with it.
    Thanks!

5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I like the new with larger album art. How hard would it be to move the forward/backward controls to the left/right of the now playing info? Would that end up not playing well with long titles?

I kinda like this idea; however I really want the next and previous tap areas to be the size of the album art. The purpose of the original layout design, other than aesthetics, was to provide large tap areas for play/pause, next, and previous. Most (all?) other portable music apps seem to provide small buttons for these functions and I wanted this app to be a bit different in that regard.

So I think the previous and next functions would remain where they are (i.e. on the right and left sides of the album art).

And I definitely want to keep the album art clean (i.e. no previous/next controls shown on top of it). I don't think people would like controls on top of their album art.

6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    How about a setup-option to toggle between old and new? That would be nice!
    So far, it's looking like this is the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I kinda like this idea; however I really want the next and previous tap areas to be the size of the album art. The purpose of the original layout design, other than aesthetics, was to provide large tap areas for play/pause, next, and previous. Most (all?) other portable music apps seem to provide small buttons for these functions and I wanted this app to be a bit different in that regard.

So I think the previous and next functions would remain where they are (i.e. on the right and left sides of the album art).
    I'm no programmer, but I guess if you had to go with one version to please everyone could you make the Next/Previous action cover the area in red? I don't know how many pixels in you have it set at, these were done assuming 50 pixels on either side.

If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I'm no programmer, but I guess if you had to go with one version to please everyone could you make the Next/Previous action cover the area in red? I don't know how many pixels in you have it set at, these were done assuming 50 pixels on either side.

Yeah that sounds about right, except the tap areas will stop at the bottom of the album art (i.e. not to the sides of the song/artist/album info).

Hey danplc,

Just want to say thanks for still being here developing for webos. I think you were one of the first to try to make our user experience better. How come no Danplc on the palm cast? Would love to hear your expert opinions there.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Hey danplc,

Just want to say thanks for still being here developing for webos. I think you were one of the first to try to make our user experience better. How come no Danplc on the palm cast? Would love to hear your expert opinions there.
    Yeah I've been developing on webOS since the beginning. The original version of Music Player (Remix) was released in August '09. Originally I never planned on releasing Music Player (Remix). It was just going to be a small exercise in webOS development, but then I saw the Homebrew apps on PreCentral and decided to release it figuring someone may want the few extras I added (the first release was just a patch of the built-in music app and added a scrubber bar, alphabet scroller, and a few other improvements).

It would be cool to do a PalmCast! I usually watch them live.

11.    #31  
    I've been playing around with the new layout on the Pixi (well the Pixi emulator) and it's not going to work. There's no way to increase the size of the album art and also display the song/artist/album info, as well as the scrubber bar and function icons at the top of the screen. If I dynamically adjust the album art based upon the screen height, the album art will land up the same size as the current layout, so it wouldn't make sense to not display the previous and next icons on the screen.

So I think this helps in my decision. Since Pixis cannot use the new layout, I'll definitely make it an option on the Preferences screen for Pres only. And I'll probably keep the current layout as the default to keep it consistent between Pixis and Pres.

I voted for the new layout, but it should be a configurable option.

Maybe keep the current layout default (better for new beginners).

I would like to use the new layout for sure.

Thanks for the great app, Dan! Keep up the good work!

PS, Thanks for adding the downloadable album art for webOS 2.x. It is just one more way to help free us from the dreaded iTunes app.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by danxcook View Post
    I voted for the new layout, but it should be a configurable option.

Maybe keep the current layout default (better for new beginners).

I would like to use the new layout for sure.

Thanks for the great app, Dan! Keep up the good work!
    That's exactly what I'm doing. I've already begun work on it.

Thanks everyone for voting. The majority of people like the new layout better, so that helped me to decide to include it as an option. And because of the Pixi situation (described in my previous post), I'm going to keep the current layout as the default. But at least people will have the option to "super-size" their album art.

Quote Originally Posted by danxcook View Post
    PS, Thanks for adding the downloadable album art for webOS 2.x. It is just one more way to help free us from the dreaded iTunes app.
    A lot of people asked me for it, so I finally gave in and implemented it. And hopefully people will like having it on the Album Song List screen so they can change any album art (not just the currently playing song's album art).

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    i like the new one.... you're a cool dude mr. dan
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    i like the new one.... you're a cool dude mr. dan
    Thanks! I've completed the new alternate "super-sized" album art mode in my private beta build. I'm going to port it over to the public beta soon...so keep an eye out for a new release soon!

hey danPLC thanks for using that Mya album cover to discuss this topic...i like the artwork on that one
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    hey danPLC thanks for using that Mya album cover to discuss this topic...i like the artwork on that one
    It was purely a random choice...really...really...

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    So I think this helps in my decision. Since Pixis cannot use the new layout, I'll definitely make it an option on the Preferences screen for Pres only. And I'll probably keep the current layout as the default to keep it consistent between Pixis and Pres.
    I think this is a great choice. The default provides the most intuitive controls, and the optional setting—for phones that support it—maximizes the use of space to display the artwork. The controls are functionally identical and the user is probably already familiar enough with how they work not to miss the arrows.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    I think this is a great choice. The default provides the most intuitive controls, and the optional setting—for phones that support it—maximizes the use of space to display the artwork. The controls are functionally identical and the user is probably already familiar enough with how they work not to miss the arrows.
    Yeah I think it's the best solution. Also I'm displaying a popup the first time the user displays the Now Playing screen in "super-sized album art" mode. So hopefully they'll figure out the controls, which like you said are exactly the same.

20.    #40  
    The new version of the public beta is available here: http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2815680

It's not available in Preware yet because I'm having issues editing my app on the PreCentral homebrew page.

Thanks a lot for everybody who voted and provided feedback in this thread. It helped convince me that adding this new "super-sized album art mode" was a good decision.

In my personal use, I've been going back and forth between the two modes; however I find myself sticking with the original mode more often. But oddly enough when I listen to a song by Mya, I seem to switch back to super-sized mode. I'm not sure why...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12