Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Sorry I should have been more clear, rather than the app having to create a database for itself I'm thinking if the user maually renamed their music to ban_name.mp3 and then set the shuffle all to do ignore all songs begginning with ban_. Would this method still have a detrimental effect on speed?
    That wouldn't be too user-friendly asking people to manually rename their files to use this feature.

And I still think it may be slow. I'd still have to go through each file one by one to determine if it should be banned.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    That wouldn't be too user-friendly asking people to manually rename their files to use this feature.

And I still think it may be slow. I'd still have to go through each file one by one to determine if it should be banned.
    Seems like its just trade offs and issues. I guess the issues outweigh the benefits in this case.
    However, if I magically get a vision of how to do it without any trade offs, I'll be back to bug you
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Seems like its just trade offs and issues. I guess the issues outweigh the benefits in this case.
    However, if I magically get a vision of how to do it without any trade offs, I'll be back to bug you
    Yeah if you have other ideas on how to implement it, let me know. But I don't want to implement features that require unintuitive, manual steps like adding a "ban" to the front of a file name.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

The elegant interface makes using Remix a pleasure.

Also I probably will have an option to auto-resume where you left off the last time you left the app. I know that some people may prefer that option.
    This would be my one request. An option to automatically load last track and resume playing where it left off (ideal for audiobooks).

I have it on my list to investigate ways to separate out music and spoken-word, but I'm still not sure how I'll do that. I'm not sure that will make it into the initial release.
    I wouldn't even mind if there were a completely separate app optimized for audiobooks. Book and music playback are almost completely separate functions, at least to me.
    DanPLC, you sure were fast in lighting a fire under adobe about flash!!! LOL (ps geostrings is great)
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    DanPLC, you sure were fast in lighting a fire under adobe about flash!!! LOL (ps geostrings is great)
    Hopefully Flash will be released soon. There's a lot of interesting content out there that we're not able to access. Some of the feedback I've received with Web Hopper is that sometimes they arrive at flash sites they can't view. HTML5 may take over in the future, but today we're missing out on half the web without having flash.

Thanks for the shot out for GeoStrings. I'm glad you're liking it.

0.12.3 is the current version. I don't have it on my device since I'm testing the new version; however I'm fairly sure you should be able to swipe the album art to switch songs. Can anyone else confirm this?
    I wasn't swiping the right area You are correct.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    The elegant interface makes using Remix a pleasure.
    The interface is what I'm focusing on in the new version. I'm building upon the strengths of the old interface while trying to make things even easier to do, as well as making it look much nicer.

This would be my one request. An option to automatically load last track and resume playing where it left off (ideal for audiobooks).
    It'll have this option.

I wouldn't even mind if there were a completely separate app optimized for audiobooks. Book and music playback are almost completely separate functions, at least to me.
    I'm not sure a separate app is necessary. I think I can make enhancements to the current app to make audiobook (spoken word) listening a better experience.

9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I wasn't swiping the right area You are correct.
    Swiping in landscape mode in the new version will be a bit easier. But like I mentioned, swiping is going to be done in a bit of a different way overall.

How about going to the internet and picking up album covers? (like windows media player or itunes does)
    This player is awesome so much better than the default.

1. Flylist of course is a recurring theme.

2. I would like my songs to cross fade between tracks. Always thought that was a nice feature for long road trips.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan_JH View Post
    This player is awesome so much better than the default.

1. Flylist of course is a recurring theme.

2. I would like my songs to cross fade between tracks. Always thought that was a nice feature for long road trips.
    Yes flylists are definitely a recurring theme. And in the new version of the app, they're becoming much more powerful.

I'm not sure cross-fading will be possible using the standard HTML5 audio (available in the SDK). However it may be possible using the PDK (via SDL). However this is not in scope for the initial app catalog release.

13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    How about going to the internet and picking up album covers? (like windows media player or itunes does)
    I don't think this is the best idea for 2 reasons:

1) Apps don't have the ability to write data back to the original audio file. So any image I find cannot be saved into the ID3 tags of the file. I'd have to store the image file locally which in my opinion is pointless. On-device album art lookup would only be useful if it updated the files so when you played them on your computer or other devices, the album art would display properly on there as well.

2) In my opinion, it's much more convenient (and speedier) to use a free application like Media Monkey on your computer to automatically fill in the album art in your whole music collection instead of having to do it file-by-file on your device (even if ID3 tag writes were possible in webOS). Once you complete this one-time process on your computer, all of your files will display the correct album art regardless of where you play the files (computer, media center, phone, MP3 player, etc.)

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    1. Flylists (as has been stated a million times already)

2. Not sure if this is possible, but a way to lock the app in one position no matter how the phone is rotated. When I work out, I have my Pre in a Tunebelt, and with some exercises, the screen gets rotated to where i have to read upside down and due to the position the Tunebelt on my arm, sometimes I can't get it to flip back the right way. I'm sure people in the gym get a kick out of my chicken wing dance trying to flip the screen back. Obviously not the end of the world, but it would be cool if I didn't have to worry about it.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    1. Flylists (as has been stated a million times already)

2. Not sure if this is possible, but a way to lock the app in one position no matter how the phone is rotated. When I work out, I have my Pre in a Tunebelt, and with some exercises, the screen gets rotated to where i have to read upside down and due to the position the Tunebelt on my arm, sometimes I can't get it to flip back the right way. I'm sure people in the gym get a kick out of my chicken wing dance trying to flip the screen back. Obviously not the end of the world, but it would be cool if I didn't have to worry about it.
    Yes this will be included in the new version of the app.

By the way, a sure-fire way to switch your phone back to portrait mode is to lean the top of it forward (towards your body). This happens to me all the time in the web browser app. But I agree it can be annoying which is why I'm definitely doing to include an orientation lock option.

16.    #56  
    I just tried out Media Monkey for the first time and I now can personally recommend it as a perfect way to ensure all your album art gets transferred over properly. I found that my collection already had the album art included in the music files, but for some reason when WMP transferred the files over, many of the files lost their album art.

I connected the phone in "Media Sync" mode (which can be re-enabled in the menu of the "Device Info" app) and ran the auto-sync function in Media Monkey. I selected the option to transfer the album art to the tags (vs. image files in the folder). And now all my music on the device has the album art (before it was about 50%).

And Media Monkey has the ability to grab tag information (including album art) from the web. I tried it out on a few songs and it worked great. So I'd highly recommend people try it out. I've lived with a lot of missing album art on my device and I have to say it is nice to have it all back.

I'm still switching between my Treo650 and my Pre for various reasons. Besides eBook reading, playing music was one reason.
    I now use the Pre to listen to music after I learned how to use M3U Playlists with MP(Remix). I copied all MP3 from the Treo SD card to the Pre as well as the M3U files from Pocket Tunes, then a short search and replace in Notepad++ for the path names and everything is fine.

Unfortunately I still "have" to use the Treo for the creation of playlists, to add songs to the list and to move them in there. It would be a great help if you could include this to the next version of the player (or create a separate App for M3U editing (with the help of FileMgr Service perhaps?)).

What I really miss during the day when I listen to songs, is the possibility to jump back to the beginning of the song without taking the device out of its sleve. I more often want to start over with a song because I was disturbed or distracted than to skip to the next one. In Pocket Tunes there was an option to configure the headset button clicks. At the moment the Pre provides only 2 types of clicks. One click for "pause" and 2 clicks for "next title".
    I would love to have 3 clicks for "back" available. If possible maybe even configurable through the Prefs. If the 3 clicks are not supported by WebOS yet, maybe you could let the user choose in the prefs (eg. 1 click pause, 2 clicks back).

Nevertheless, thanks for a great piece of software that helped me a lot to switch from Treo to Pre.

Regards,
    Pandarve
    Palm History:
    Palm IIIx, Sony Clie SL10, Treo 650, Treo 680, Palm Pre
    And one thing I forgot to ask for.
    Please find a way to resume playing within a list (playlist for me). After been closed and repopened, Remix remembers the last played song but not that it was part of a playlist. So every time I start Remix I have to check the song name, open the playlist and select that very song again before I can enjoy the music :-)

Regards,
    Pandarve
    Palm History:
    Palm IIIx, Sony Clie SL10, Treo 650, Treo 680, Palm Pre
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandarve View Post
    And one thing I forgot to ask for.
    Please find a way to resume playing within a list (playlist for me). After been closed and repopened, Remix remembers the last played song but not that it was part of a playlist. So every time I start Remix I have to check the song name, open the playlist and select that very song again before I can enjoy the music :-)

Regards,
    Pandarve
    It should already do this. Is this a normal playlist (synced from the computer) or a flylist? I know it definitely does it for flylists. I don't use playlists on a regular basis, but I thought it did it for them as well. I know it does it for every other type of list (artist, album, genre, etc.).

20.    #60  
    I'm still switching between my Treo650 and my Pre for various reasons. Besides eBook reading, playing music was one reason.
    I now use the Pre to listen to music after I learned how to use M3U Playlists with MP(Remix). I copied all MP3 from the Treo SD card to the Pre as well as the M3U files from Pocket Tunes, then a short search and replace in Notepad++ for the path names and everything is fine.

Unfortunately I still "have" to use the Treo for the creation of playlists, to add songs to the list and to move them in there. It would be a great help if you could include this to the next version of the player (or create a separate App for M3U editing (with the help of FileMgr Service perhaps?)).
    You can create flylists in the app that are stored on the device, but no they aren't currently synced back into the original playlist files (M3U, etc.). Currently there is no public API that allows this. I'm hoping that Palm will include this capability (playlist editing) directly into the media indexing APIs, but you never know.

What I really miss during the day when I listen to songs, is the possibility to jump back to the beginning of the song without taking the device out of its sleve. I more often want to start over with a song because I was disturbed or distracted than to skip to the next one. In Pocket Tunes there was an option to configure the headset button clicks. At the moment the Pre provides only 2 types of clicks. One click for "pause" and 2 clicks for "next title".
    I would love to have 3 clicks for "back" available. If possible maybe even configurable through the Prefs. If the 3 clicks are not supported by WebOS yet, maybe you could let the user choose in the prefs (eg. 1 click pause, 2 clicks back).

Nevertheless, thanks for a great piece of software that helped me a lot to switch from Treo to Pre.

Regards,
    Pandarve
    I don't think "triple click" detection is possible. But I'll look into it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast