Page 1 of 40 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    For those of you who visit the Music Player (Remix) thread, you know I've been working on a new app for awhile now. That app is called GeoStrings.

Up until now, most people keep track of their tasks via a calendar or to-do app that is date/time-based. However many tasks are actually location-based. There are things you have to do at certain locations, whether it be at home, at work, at the grocery store, at a department store, etc.

Now there is an app that allows you to keep track of those tasks and remind you when you get close to a particular location (or locations).

I've created an introduction video demonstrating some of GeoString's capabilities. You can view it here:

In the future, I'll continue to post more videos showing more in-depth features of the app, as well as a real-time demonstration of the app driving around town.

I'm currently in the testing phase of the project. All major components of the app are complete. Soon I will begin a closed beta phase and will be inviting certain PreCentral members to join. Right now I won't be taking open requests to join the beta list. Once beta testing is complete, I'll be submitting the app to the App Catalog.

EDIT: As of 12/31/09, the GeoStrings app has been released in the app catalog!
    Last edited by DanPLC; 04/30/2010 at 02:02 PM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  2.    #2  
    Here is another video demonstrating the reminder popups that appear when you reach one of your target locations:
    Dan,

I knew it would be something big but I had no idea!

Great idea!

- Craig
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts

Dan,
    You are incredible. This is THE one application that I can really make use of. I am always forgetting to stop and run in to places to grab stuff; I get home, and then I don't want to run back out.

LOVE the question mark tips

I will absolutely buy this once it hits the app store.

(do you think you can add functionality for it to have it's own unique notifcation sound? i have no knowledge of the development aspect of WebOS so not sure if it's evenpossible)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post

Dan,
    You are incredible. This is THE one application that I can really make use of. I am always forgetting to stop and run in to places to grab stuff; I get home, and then I don't want to run back out.

LOVE the question mark tips

I will absolutely buy this once it hits the app store.

(do you think you can add functionality for it to have it's own unique notifcation sound? i have no knowledge of the development aspect of WebOS so not sure if it's evenpossible)
    When I first implemented the notifications, I wanted to implement its own unique sound; however after thinking about it some more I decided to go with the standard reminder "ding" (or vibrate when in silent mode). First of all, it keeps it consistent with other reminders that people receive on their phones. Secondly, the app respects the choice of the user (whether to have audible alerts or vibrate while in silent mode).
    This looks like it will be really useful!!!! Remix is already my most used app, and I promise that once I am gainfully employed again (just got done with school) I will definitely donate to keep you working. Thanks so much!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Looks good, Can't wait to try it out in the field
    I can't wait to check this out.
    This is the first app that I've been excited about.
    I've been interested in other apps to varying degrees but not actually excited like I am with this one.

Outstanding work.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by waya68 View Post
    I can't wait to check this out.
    This is the first app that I've been excited about.
    I've been interested in other apps to varying degrees but not actually excited like I am with this one.

Outstanding work.
    Thanks! Keep your eye out on this thread. I'll be posting more videos and any news related to the app here.

I'm actually excited myself to have this app working. Almost on a daily basis I find scenarios where it would have been useful to have this app.

For instance tonight my wife and I were going to a place called Fresh Market. Afterwards, we needed to go to the grocery store. She had a written list but forgot to add one thing. So she asked me to remind her about it when we got to the store. This is a perfect example of the usefulness of a GeoString. With my crappy memory, I would never remember this especially when we're going somewhere else first. But with a GeoString, a popup would come up as we drove to the grocery store.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Love the application danplc! just posted about it on my blog: Upcoming Application: GeoStrings | The Mx Web
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    Love the application danplc! just posted about it on my blog: Upcoming Application: GeoStrings | The Mx Web
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Looks like a great, highly functional app. Good job. One observation I had when watching the video is that when you want to scroll down to edit more information for a Geostring, you use the mouse on the very small side of the screen where the list of locations doesn't take up screen space. I assume this is because trying to scroll in the list of locations will just scroll that list and not the entire editable Geostring item. With a mouse this seems easy enough but with a finger that would probably be kind of annoying, don't you think? Have you thought of this at all and if so do you plan to make it easier to scroll through before you put out a beta version?
    This looks like one of the few apps out there I could use daily.
    Release ASAP!!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    Looks like a great, highly functional app. Good job. One observation I had when watching the video is that when you want to scroll down to edit more information for a Geostring, you use the mouse on the very small side of the screen where the list of locations doesn't take up screen space. I assume this is because trying to scroll in the list of locations will just scroll that list and not the entire editable Geostring item. With a mouse this seems easy enough but with a finger that would probably be kind of annoying, don't you think? Have you thought of this at all and if so do you plan to make it easier to scroll through before you put out a beta version?
    I'm glad you mentioned that. Yes, I have put a lot of thought into this. The app has some logic built in so that the user can scroll the page even when touching the location list if the list has 3 items or less.

When the location list has more than 3 items, it becomes a scrollable list, so when the user swipes their finger over it, it will scroll the location list instead of the page. When the user swipes this area, it should be pretty intuitive to them to realize that this is a scrollable list and therefore they need to scroll the page by placing their finger somewhere else. I think the easiest place would be right above the location list (instead of on the side like I did in the emulator video). I've done this on my device and it's easy to do.
  15. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Dan, this is fantastic! I can't tell you the number of times I've forgotten to do something when I'm at a particular location, especially on days I have to go to several different locations. Really looking forward to the release and hope it works in the UK.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    very kool Dan, I like your implementation of the idea!
  17.    #17  
    Here's another video I shot demonstrating a few of the other features of the app:
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    Dan, this is fantastic! I can't tell you the number of times I've forgotten to do something when I'm at a particular location, especially on days I have to go to several different locations. Really looking forward to the release and hope it works in the UK.
    I hope so too! I'm going to have a few international users in my beta program to test things out. I think with a little work it should be able to be compatible. The webOS location services should work in other countries I imagine, as well as the Google API that I'm using to search for businesses.
    Dan,

Nice demo! I'll be sure to check it out when it comes out. One interesting feature you may want to consider is ability to do online comparison shopping. If I add say a dvd title, it would be nice if there was an option to do an online price check so that I can decide if I want to get it now or online.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    Dan,

Nice demo! I'll be sure to check it out when it comes out. One interesting feature you may want to consider is ability to do online comparison shopping. If I add say a dvd title, it would be nice if there was an option to do an online price check so that I can decide if I want to get it now or online.
    While a tool like this would be nice to have, I don't think this would fit well in this app. The purpose of this app is to remind you of tasks when you get close to the location(s) where you perform the task. In the demo, I used "buying a movie" as an example, but that's just one example of any task you may need to do around town.

There are many examples of GeoStrings other than buying merchandise. Off the top of my head, here are a few:

• While at work setting a GeoString to remind yourself to record a TV show when you get home.
    • Setting a GeoString to drop by an old friend's house the next time you're in their neighborhood.
    • Setting a GeoString to remind you to drop by the library to read a new book that came out.
    • Set a GeoString to remember to stop by the florist on the way to your grandmother's house to pick up some flowers.
Page 1 of 40 12345611 ... LastLast