Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I can see the usefulness of this type of reminder now that I see some examples; however by the time you'd get the reminder (even at a radius of 0.1 miles), you'd already be out of the building and on the road. Of course you wouldn't be that far away, so you could go back. But I just don't like the idea of GeoString reminders coming up when it's too late. The intent of the app is to remind you before it's too late.
    Deep in the depths of my work building GPS won't work anyway. So (I'm assuming here) that GeoStrings would remember my last position (which would be within 1/10th mile of where I set the string) and kick off at the right time anyway.

Still looks like a great app; you think maybe I'll be able to give myself an early Christmas present? :-)
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    I've seen a number of homebrew apps that are full-function but time-limited; either by # of days or at a particular date. Note that I only point this out because I'm not eligible as a Beta-tester (I don't use my Pre for music) and want to get my hands on this ASAP.
    Well if all goes well, it'll be released soon after the beta testing phase since it'll really be a "release candidate" vs. a "beta".
  3.    #163  
    Deep in the depths of my work building GPS won't work anyway. So (I'm assuming here) that GeoStrings would remember my last position (which would be within 1/10th mile of where I set the string) and kick off at the right time anyway.
    Actually your last position may very well be less than 1/10 of a mile since it could pick it up as you're driving up to work or in the parking lot before you went deep into your building.

But even if the last position recorded was 0.1 miles away, it wouldn't trigger the alert in this case because any errors in current location detection are discarded.

Still looks like a great app; you think maybe I'll be able to give myself an early Christmas present? :-)
    Early? Probably not, but we'll see...
    I've been thinking some about departure reminders. I'm currently thinking the best approach would be to set an estimated departure time, and alert at that time, if it comes first, and on change of location, whenever it is.

So if there's something I plan to do before leaving work, I can set a time a few minutes before I normally leave. It will remind me then (with some nice snooze option to remind me again later), but if I leave early (or have it snoozed and then forget it and leave) it will let me know before I get too far. Just an idea.
  5.    #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    I've been thinking some about departure reminders. I'm currently thinking the best approach would be to set an estimated departure time, and alert at that time, if it comes first, and on change of location, whenever it is.

So if there's something I plan to do before leaving work, I can set a time a few minutes before I normally leave. It will remind me then (with some nice snooze option to remind me again later), but if I leave early (or have it snoozed and then forget it and leave) it will let me know before I get too far. Just an idea.
    I'll definitely have to think about this one. I actually could have used this type of reminder today. I have to go to Sam's Club to pick something up after work. This would be a perfect use of a departure reminder.
    Latitude integration would be great, so I can put a string like:
    "Need to go kick the ****s out of Mark"

or

"Need to get my DVDs back from Stacey"

and be reminded when I'm close to them =)
  7.    #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by xaiki View Post
    Latitude integration would be great, so I can put a string like:
    "Need to go kick the ****s out of Mark"

or

"Need to get my DVDs back from Stacey"

and be reminded when I'm close to them =)
    Maybe I'll do this in a future version of the app when the latitude API is a bit more developed.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    For those of you who were asking for a way to launch Sprint Navigation from the alert popup, I've come up with a pretty good alternative.

Each GeoString on the alert popup now has a map icon next to it. When tapped, Google Maps is loaded with the current and target locations. The user can tap the "Get directions" button to display step-by-step directions to the location. The route can also be displayed as a map.

I'll probably post a demonstration video tonight.

Oh yeah, that's a given with Google Maps.. The difference is step by step (GM) versus turn by turn (SN).

Question for you: I wonder if the address listed in a GeoString will be selectable so that we can copy/paste the address from GeoString to Sprint Nav?
    Have you tried this yet??

Thanks Dan for all your quick responses.
  9.    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by acherry View Post
    Oh yeah, that's a given with Google Maps.. The difference is step by step (GM) versus turn by turn (SN).

Question for you: I wonder if the address listed in a GeoString will be selectable so that we can copy/paste the address from GeoString to Sprint Nav?
    Have you tried this yet??

Thanks Dan for all your quick responses.
    Even though turn-by-turn directions are nicer than reading a step-by-step list, I think it's going to be much easier to use the Google Maps step-by-step list instead of having to copy the address, open up Sprint Navigation, paste it in, then begin the route. Remember GeoString alerts will fire off when you're quite close to the target location. So the quicker you can bring up the directions (if you happen to need them), the better.

I'll be posting the demo video in a few seconds (once YouTube finishes uploading it) and I think you'll see the advantage of bringing up directions in a split second when you're that close to the GeoString location.
  10.    #170  
    Here is the video demonstrating the new "navigation directions" feature of the reminder popups:
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Here is the video demonstrating the new "navigation directions" feature of the reminder popups:
    Thanks Dan,

I noticed in the Video the Long/Lat coordinates was populated in GMaps.

Lets just say for giggles that I'm anal and I really want to use SNav,,,, is the address in the GeoString selectable??

Sorry if I'm being a pest.. I can wait and find out when i purchase it..

Thanks..
  12.    #172  
    Thanks Dan,

I noticed in the Video the Long/Lat coordinates was populated in GMaps.

Lets just say for giggles that I'm anal and I really want to use SNav,,,, is the address in the GeoString selectable??

Sorry if I'm being a pest.. I can wait and find out when i purchase it..

Thanks..
    It is selectable actually. Does Sprint Navigation accept latitude/longitude coordiantes? If so, I guess that would work for you.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    It is selectable actually. Does Sprint Navigation accept latitude/longitude coordiantes? If so, I guess that would work for you.
    No, Sprint Vav doesn't accept Long/lat coordinates (I don't think so), but that is why I would copy/paste from the GeoString as opposed to GMaps (if possible)..
  14.    #174  
    No, Sprint Vav doesn't accept Long/lat coordinates (I don't think so), but that is why I would copy/paste from the GeoString as opposed to GMaps (if possible)..
    I can see this is important to you, but I have to think about my general user-base. I just don't think it's user-friendly (or safe) to have an option to copy the address to the clipboard so they can manually open up another app and paste it in there.

If I could launch the Sprint Nav app myself and copy the address in for you, that would be another story. But until webOS creates a navigation service, that's not going to happen.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I can't wait for this ... every post I read make the anticipation that much more great. I had at least three uses for this today.
    I needed to stop and get a gift certificate for my boss for our Christmas party tomorrow and I FORGOT! Now I have to rush around tomorrow at lunch. DOH!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I can see this is important to you, but I have to think about my general user-base. I just don't think it's user-friendly (or safe) to have an option to copy the address to the clipboard so they can manually open up another app and paste it in there.

If I could launch the Sprint Nav app myself and copy the address in for you, that would be another story. But until webOS creates a navigation service, that's not going to happen.
    Again, I didn't mean to be a pest. But I know there are others who prefer SNav so I'm just trying to help develop work arounds remotely, or at least until it's released..

I assume this thread will remain open after it's released in the catalog.

Thanks again Dan..
  17.    #177  
    Again, I didn't mean to be a pest. But I know there are others who prefer SNav so I'm just trying to help develop work arounds remotely, or at least until it's released..

I assume this thread will remain open after it's released in the catalog.

Thanks again Dan..
    Yes, this thread will remain open after the release. However, I may decide to host my own support/suggestion forum on my web site. In that case, I'll post the link here and hopefully people will start posting there.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I'm using minimap (OpenStreetMap-app). Will it be possible to take the coordinates to this app?
  19.    #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    I'm using minimap (OpenStreetMap-app). Will it be possible to take the coordinates to this app?
    I probably wouldn't try to interact with any 3rd party apps. I'll only add functionality that all users can utilize.
    This is looking really good Dan! Your app looks like one of the most polished of any app I've seen for the Pre so far. I really hope that Europe gets paid apps by the time you have this ready to release otherwise myself and others not in the US will really be missing out.

Keep up the excellent work!
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast