Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by notcalvin View Post
    Suggestion:

Turn on/off WiFi by location: I only use WiFi at home, and bet that is true for a lot of people.(of course, turn on/off all other transmissions by location) (Also, might be nice to have trigger by altitude, eg airplane mode?)
    I don't think there's a way to toggle Wifi with the currently documented SDK.
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    Looks like it'll be great and well worth the money. Been wanting something like this ever since Locale was demoed for Android's launch. I'd definitely like to see the range scaled way down, though. Most of my world exists along my 7 mile commute to work. I wouldn't really want to be reminded to buy sugar every time I drive past a grocery store, just the next time I happen to be in one.

Of course, simple address lookups may not be precise enough for this functionality. Personally, I'd be content to just create my handful of locations from current GPS, but it'd sure be handy to initially setup my locations with an easy search for Best Buy and then simply refine that location with GPS once I'm standing in the front door.
    I'm definitely going to be investigating adding small radius options. However I'll make it clear in the app that they will not be effective when moving at automobile speeds.
    Dan,

Like everyone else, I am a huge fan of Remix + really look forward to GeoStrings! What are the possibilities GeoStrings can use contacts and appointments via Synergy? I suspect that the SDK limits this, but who knows? I'd love to have the reminders set by location of contact and able to have reminders linked to appointment times.

It's ironic that these features were demo'ed/talked about in the very first WebOS announcement. Remember that? The phone would know where you are and who you are meeting with & let them know if you are running late. It turned out the actual feature was a prompt with reminders to email meeting attendees. Neat, but sort of a cop-out!
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by krustyjonez View Post
    Like everyone else, I am a huge fan of Remix + really look forward to GeoStrings! What are the possibilities GeoStrings can use contacts and appointments via Synergy? I suspect that the SDK limits this, but who knows? I'd love to have the reminders set by location of contact and able to have reminders linked to appointment times.
    You can choose a contact to add as a location to a GeoString. Check out my latest YouTube video titled "GeoStrings - Adding Locations" for a demonstration of this.

Apps can create their own calendar profiles; however, they cannot access calendar profiles they did not create. So no, it can't link a GeoString to an appointment. But how would this be useful though? If you have a meeting at a particular time, and have an appointment scheduled in your calendar app, then why would you need to set another reminder in the GeoStrings app? Am I missing something?
    im in sales,,, many times,, on a set day of the week, i have to go into a client pick something up... drop something off.. i have no idea how many times i have gotten back to the office and had to turn around an go back out... i may pass by the clients office at any time during the day.... plus.. my loverly wife has access to my calendar.. she drops things in like ohhh i dunno.. pick up milk on your way home.. or or or .. to those that are married you understand.. if it could be linked to the calendar,, that would be great.. the biggest reason is the client thing.. around 100 of them a week.. yes i run allot of miles on my car. lol if i could somehow just set it up as part of my calendar.. then it would be sweet.. one place to enter info.. an boom.. no more return trips .. if not i can still see how this would be one sweet little addition to a great phone. thanks for what you have now..
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Not to make you jealous, but I used it for the first time for an actual reminder and it worked like a charm.

Keep in mind that when you receive a GeoString alert popup, you're within close range of your target location. I would hope that you wouldn't need turn-by-turn directions to get there once you receive the alert. I guess the only time this would be useful is if you were out of town or going somewhere you've never been before. But I think for most GeoStrings, it'll involve places in town you're already familiar with. Let me know if you think this isn't the case.
    In the senarios I imagine I would need turn by turn.
    I'm new to the Atlanta area so I've dicovered certain places that I really liked; ie. Golden Crust (Jamaican restaurant). I know of one in a town that I don't often visit, but this town does have a lot of large malls.
    Ideally, if I happen to be in/near that town for whatever reason, I'd like your app to tell me that I'm near Golden Crust and ideally, I'd be able to tap tap tap and Sprint Navigation is directing me. As opposed to my having to pull over, remove the phone from my mount and flip b etween cards as I type in the address.
    Also, Maybe I can a create 'location group' called Golden Crust with all the stores in Atlanta region and suburbs. That way I may be in an unfamiliar area and GeoStrings can say (figuritively speaking ofcourse) "Hey, BTW, there's a Golden Crust nearby. I'll tell Navigator where it's at if you're hungry.".. :-)
    on the money issue.. up here in the great white north we dont have paid apps.. only the free stuff... Bell keeps saying ya sure ok you bet soon ok soon ok ... you get the picture.. i understand you need to get paid.. no problem with that... any way us people outside the states can get this app.. this one is definitely worth paying for.. even without calendar integration. it has far too many pluses to leave out.. pm me if you have an answer..
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by acherry View Post
    I'd like your app to tell me that I'm near Golden Crust and ideally, I'd be able to tap tap tap and Sprint Navigation is directing me. As opposed to my having to pull over, remove the phone from my mount and flip between cards as I type in the address.:-)
    The problem like I mentioned before is that not all webOS devices have Sprint Navigation. If webOS had a generic "navigation" service that allowed me to load up the phone's navigation software (whatever it may be), then it would work. This would be similar to the "map" service in the SDK that allows the mapping software (in our case "Google Map") to load up.
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    on the money issue.. up here in the great white north we dont have paid apps.. only the free stuff... Bell keeps saying ya sure ok you bet soon ok soon ok ... you get the picture.. i understand you need to get paid.. no problem with that... any way us people outside the states can get this app.. this one is definitely worth paying for.. even without calendar integration. it has far too many pluses to leave out.. pm me if you have an answer..
    Palm is supposed to be releasing their app distribution program by the end of the year (according to their website). It should allow people to have access to a URL that they can distribute that would allow people to buy apps that way. However, they don't have any information on the site concerning international users, so I don't know if they'll be able to purchase apps this way.

I imagine paid apps will be available to all international users at some point. Palm would be foolish not to since they make 30% of all profits.
    xForsaken nailed most of it. I am also thinking that you could have a geoReminder about an upcoming event or task. It would be great to pass a location & get reminded you're having a meeting there next week.

I'm also thinking it's a way to make the location field of an appointment much more dynamic.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Sounds like a great app. I'll happily pay for this app once it becomes available.
    (please keep the cost reasonable!)
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Sounds like a great app. I'll happily pay for this app once it becomes available.
    + 1
    How will you choose your beta testers?
    I'm very interested in the app, and if I can do some beta testing I'll buy it as long as everything works
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    How will you choose your beta testers?
    I'm very interested in the app, and if I can do some beta testing I'll buy it as long as everything works
    This thread is only 6 pages long (at this point). On page 5 your question is answered:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2078629
    Finally was able to watch the videos .. Looks good!
    --Marvin
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I'm curious, what do you think is a reasonable price?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The problem like I mentioned before is that not all webOS devices have Sprint Navigation. If webOS had a generic "navigation" service that allowed me to load up the phone's navigation software (whatever it may be), then it would work. This would be similar to the "map" service in the SDK that allows the mapping software (in our case "Google Map") to load up.
    Oh no Dan, I understand why it can't work that way.. I did read the thread (several times). But in accordance to your reply, I just wanted to give a practical example of how us Sprint users could benefit from Nav integration..
    Do what you do doc, and know that it is SO very much appreciated by us non-developer geeks..
    I know I'm not in the group of testers you'll pick, and I understand that as I've been nothing but a leech with Remix. But you should know: No one else has even attempted to create a Player for WebOS because your work is so thorough and complete,,,, and free.. :-)

I will continue to monitor this thread (Like I did with Precorder and GDial Pro). And I will certainly purchase it when it releases..

Okay, I can't think of any other ways to kiss your ***** so I'm gonna go now.. LMAO..

Read ya tomorrow.
    Last edited by acherry; 12/04/2009 at 07:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I'm curious, what do you think is a reasonable price?
    I'd pay $4.99 for this app, though $0.49 would be good for the economy..
    Last edited by acherry; 12/04/2009 at 07:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acherry View Post
    I'd pay $4.99 for this app, though $0.49 would be good for the economy..
    Whose economy would it be good for, not Dan's!

(had to throw that in)

I would pay at least what the going price seems to be for most apps. In fact, this app seems more complex and creative than most, so more than that is even reasonable.

Your app looks real good, can't wait to pick it up.
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Whose economy would it be good for, not Dan's!
    Amen to that!