Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    webos is going to let us choose our default programs so if geostrings can open the default map program, it can open whatever we set as default, i think. although, there may be no guarantee it will work with your favorite map program.
    Last edited by spare; 12/04/2009 at 12:06 PM.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by acherry View Post
    This is so cool! DanPLC, you are the man. I sorta wish I didn't know about it. Now I'm gonna have to monitor this thread 5 times a day for status..
    Not to make you jealous, but I used it for the first time for an actual reminder and it worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by acherry View Post
    Too bad we won't be able to tap a location and open Sprint Navigator. It will likely prove to be quite cumbersome to have to type the address into Navigator; particularly if I'm driving.
    Keep in mind that when you receive a GeoString alert popup, you're within close range of your target location. I would hope that you wouldn't need turn-by-turn directions to get there once you receive the alert. I guess the only time this would be useful is if you were out of town or going somewhere you've never been before. But I think for most GeoStrings, it'll involve places in town you're already familiar with. Let me know if you think this isn't the case.
    Dan, if you are looking for beta testers, I would be willing to try it out, I have an extensive background in testing (20+ years) and would love to give it a shot and provide feedback to you....Just PM me or let me know how you plan to select your beta testers.

Mike
    +1 for testing. I'm a QA Analyst and Developer.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    That's a great question and it will be one of my major focuses during my testing phase. It's a very high priority for me to minimize battery impact; however I expect there will be some.

I'll be focusing on implementing some smart logic to reduce the impact.
    Could you increase the location check interval when you've determined you moved, and decrease the interval when the device isn't moving? Or maybe have a time range in the preferences during which it won't check (I really don't need it looking for my location while asleep).

Great idea for an app, and I'll be looking for it to hit the app catalog. Or be on the beta list <hint>
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I noticed in one of the videos that under "Alert parameters", the smallest radius is 1 mile. I know you mentioned you are not working on a "walking radius" yet. But would it be possible to use 0.5 as the smallest radius.

I live within a mile of Best Buy, Target, etc... So 0.5 miles would take care of this.

Also, noticed in "Alert parameters" that miles is not a user defined option. Outside the US, kilometers is most widely used.

One last thing. I am traveling out of the US and I'll probably have my Pre in airplane mode most of the time. Will the app have any issues working if the GPS is the only thing active? (assuming I setup the alerts while @ a wifi location).

Great app, haven't purchased a single app yet, this will be the first once its released.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    Could you increase the location check interval when you've determined you moved, and decrease the interval when the device isn't moving? Or maybe have a time range in the preferences during which it won't check (I really don't need it looking for my location while asleep).

Great idea for an app, and I'll be looking for it to hit the app catalog. Or be on the beta list <hint>
    Yes, I plan on doing something similar to this.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by shrex View Post
    I noticed in one of the videos that under "Alert parameters", the smallest radius is 1 mile. I know you mentioned you are not working on a "walking radius" yet. But would it be possible to use 0.5 as the smallest radius.

I live within a mile of Best Buy, Target, etc... So 0.5 miles would take care of this.
    Yes I'll be investigating this. However for normal driving speeds, if you do the math, a reminder may be missed if the distance is too small.

Also, noticed in "Alert parameters" that miles is not a user defined option. Outside the US, kilometers is most widely used.
    You are correct. I plan on having a Preferences screen where these units will be an option (mainly for international users).

One last thing. I am traveling out of the US and I'll probably have my Pre in airplane mode most of the time. Will the app have any issues working if the GPS is the only thing active? (assuming I setup the alerts while @ a wifi location).

Great app, haven't purchased a single app yet, this will be the first once its released.
    When you run the configuration portion of the app (the one being depicted in my videos) and you don't have an active network connection, a warning popup will be displayed indicating certain portions of the app may not function (specifically the business and address searches will return no results). However the portion running in the background relies solely on GPS data from the phone. So if GPS is enabled, the reminders should still be functional. I'll definitely test this on my device to verify this.
    Wow! Nice looking app. One that I already wish I had because I have this problem a *LOT*. A couple of comments:
    1. The demand for this app seems to be pretty high. I want you to get paid for this, but let me beg you now: please don't gouge me!
    2. I think the app should be renamed "Oh yeah!" because I'm about 99% certain that's what I'll say every time I use it.

W.r.t pricing, if you listened to the palmcast last week (#85, I think) they concluded that the most profitable apps were set in the $3-4 range. Higher than that, you just don't get enough downloads to make any money. I'd definately buy this app in that range. Going much beyond it and I have to think about it. (Yeah, I know it's advice you didn't ask for, but hey it's free advice. I offer full refunds if you don't like it.)
    Twitter: dullgeek
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    Dan, if you are looking for beta testers, I would be willing to try it out, I have an extensive background in testing (20+ years) and would love to give it a shot and provide feedback to you....Just PM me or let me know how you plan to select your beta testers.

Mike
    Since a few people have asked about beta testing, I might as well reveal how I'm planning on doing it.

Everyone who has donated (past-tense) to the Music Player (Remix) project is going to be sent an invitation. Anyone who donates from this point on will not be invited because I'm not trying to tempt people to donate by making this statement. Also I may send invitations to people who have actively supported the Music Player (Remix) project and actively participated in the forum thread.

Of that group, whoever is interested will be asked to send me details concerning their location, device (Pre or Pixi), and daily driving behaviors. A limited subset of that group will be chosen for the beta program. If I need others for the beta (for instance if I don't have any international users), I may recruit people here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post

For instance tonight my wife and I were going to a place called Fresh Market.
    Hey, we have a fresh market here too! I love it!
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    W.r.t pricing, if you listened to the palmcast last week (#85, I think) they concluded that the most profitable apps were set in the $3-4 range. Higher than that, you just don't get enough downloads to make any money. I'd definately buy this app in that range. Going much beyond it and I have to think about it. (Yeah, I know it's advice you didn't ask for, but hey it's free advice. I offer full refunds if you don't like it.)
    That's the range I'm thinking of actually. No matter how useful the app may be, pricing it too high just doesn't make sense if you're trying to attract a larger number of people.
    Just thought of a feature you might consider: setting a delay. For example, it does very little good for me to get a reminder when I'm w/in 1 mile of my house. What I need is to delay the notification until I've had a chance to park my car, unload my stuff, and get in the house. THEN remind me of the thing I have to do. There are some reminders for which this would be very useful (e.g. going to the house) but other reminders for which this would be very bad (e.g. when driving by the grocery store).

But I think it might be useful to have the ability to set an optional delay on reminders so that they remind you when you're actually able to act on them.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    +1 for testing. I'm a QA Analyst and Developer.
    I'm neither of those, but I am dashingly handsome, if that makes a difference.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I haven't bought an app yet from the app catalog.. Nothing was worth it but this will be my 1st app I'll buy. I just wish I had this when I forgot to pick up my nephew up from school the other day.. Opps lol . Dan finally glad you going to make it to the catalog!
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Just thought of a feature you might consider: setting a delay. For example, it does very little good for me to get a reminder when I'm w/in 1 mile of my house. What I need is to delay the notification until I've had a chance to park my car, unload my stuff, and get in the house. THEN remind me of the thing I have to do. There are some reminders for which this would be very useful (e.g. going to the house) but other reminders for which this would be very bad (e.g. when driving by the grocery store).

But I think it might be useful to have the ability to set an optional delay on reminders so that they remind you when you're actually able to act on them.
    When you receive a reminder popup, you have two options:

• Swipe back in the gesture area to remove it
    • Swipe the GeoString displayed in the popup to the left or right.

If you select the first option, the reminder will pop back up (and produce an audible ding) every minute. This would help in your "going to the house" example. If you select the second option, the GeoString will be deactivated and you'll receive no more reminders.

Also I'm going to be examining setting up smaller radius intervals. So this would also help in your "going to the house" example.
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I haven't bought an app yet from the app catalog.. Nothing was worth it but this will be my 1st app I'll buy. I just wish I had this when I forgot to pick up my nephew up from school the other day.. Opps lol . Dan finally glad you going to make it to the catalog!
    Wow... now that's quite the example for a use of a GeoString!
    I drove past the school not even thinking I had to do something. But where are the screen shots I can't watch the videos since I don't have my headphones and I'm in class
    Suggestion:

Turn on/off WiFi by location: I only use WiFi at home, and bet that is true for a lot of people.(of course, turn on/off all other transmissions by location) (Also, might be nice to have trigger by altitude, eg airplane mode?)
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Looks like it'll be great and well worth the money. Been wanting something like this ever since Locale was demoed for Android's launch. I'd definitely like to see the range scaled way down, though. Most of my world exists along my 7 mile commute to work. I wouldn't really want to be reminded to buy sugar every time I drive past a grocery store, just the next time I happen to be in one.

Of course, simple address lookups may not be precise enough for this functionality. Personally, I'd be content to just create my handful of locations from current GPS, but it'd sure be handy to initially setup my locations with an easy search for Best Buy and then simply refine that location with GPS once I'm standing in the front door.
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast