Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by panda6 View Post
    Regarding the background interval, have you considered having it lengthen or shorten the interval based on distance or time? If the closet reminder is 50 miles away, there's no need to run even every minute, which might save a tiny hair of battery life. If the next active reminder doesn't start for an hour, it can pretty safely not poll at all for at least 59 minutes (since the GPS can take a bit of time to lock depending on the environment).

I doubt the difference would be huge, but since battery life is always a concern, it might be nice to do everything possible to extend it. I'm not suggesting that you try to predict arrival in an alert zone based on velocity or anything, just limit the polling when there's no possibility it could result in a hit.
    Yes I'm going to implement logic such as this to improve battery life where necessary. I'm going to do whatever trickery it takes to minimize battery impact.

I'll be starting the battery/CPU load testing soon.
    Congratulations on creating an excellent app. I was about to implement something similar myself, but you've taken the wind out of my sails on that one.

I've thought of one other use for your app, and I'm wondering if you allow for it. Sometimes you may want a reminder to go off when you've left somewhere - sort of an inverted geo-string. Do you see that as a possibility?

Thanks

Nick.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by amadan View Post
    I've thought of one other use for your app, and I'm wondering if you allow for it. Sometimes you may want a reminder to go off when you've left somewhere - sort of an inverted geo-string. Do you see that as a possibility?

Thanks

Nick.
    Can you give me an example of a use for this type of feature? I just can't think of one off the top of my head.
    Would it be possible to implement an automatic on-off switch for the GPS radio that is based on previously known wifi and bluetooth connections? For example - when you are home and connected to your home wifi network the GPS radio would turn off knowing that you are home and not traveling. When you lost that wifi connection for a certain amount of time, a pop-up would ask you if you wish to turn GPS on anticipating that you are now traveling. When you are connected to your car's bluetooth handsfree system it would also pop-up asking to be turned on. That sort of think. A location-aware GPS switch.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by born2defy View Post
    Would it be possible to implement an automatic on-off switch for the GPS radio that is based on previously known wifi and bluetooth connections? For example - when you are home and connected to your home wifi network the GPS radio would turn off knowing that you are home and not traveling. When you lost that wifi connection for a certain amount of time, a pop-up would ask you if you wish to turn GPS on anticipating that you are now traveling. When you are connected to your car's bluetooth handsfree system it would also pop-up asking to be turned on. That sort of think. A location-aware GPS switch.
    As far as I can see, there's no way to turn on/off GPS via the SDK. So no this isn't possible.

However I could disable my GPS tracking based upon an active wifi connection. If you're travelling in the car, unless you're at a stop light near a wifi hot zone, you're not going to have an active wifi connection. But I also have some other ideas as well that may make this check unnecessary.
  6.    #66  
    I've implemented the ability to select multiple locations at the same time when doing a business/category search. So for instance, you can type in "Grocery Store" for a particular city/state and a list will come up with several grocery stores in the area. You'll then be able to highlight the ones you're interested in and add them in a single step to your GeoString. Tonight I'll probably post a video demonstrating the feature.
    I can't wait for this to be released, I read about this yesterday for the first time and already had multiple uses for it by this morning. Really, really good idea.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by panda6 View Post
    I can't wait for this to be released, I read about this yesterday for the first time and already had multiple uses for it by this morning. Really, really good idea.
    Thanks... I'm hoping people find it to be an app they use every day. That was my goal with this project.
  9. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Dan, will you be releasing this app on Preware? As you may or may not know, paid apps aren't yet available in the UK so I wouldn't be able to purchase it even if I wanted to, but I will definitely make a donation for your efforts if I were able to download it another way. Thanks.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    Dan, will you be releasing this app on Preware? As you may or may not know, paid apps aren't yet available in the UK so I wouldn't be able to purchase it even if I wanted to, but I will definitely make a donation for your efforts if I were able to download it another way. Thanks.
    I don't currently have plans to release it as a Homebrew app. I'm going to involve some people in a beta testing phase and after that will release it to the app catalog. I have no doubt that at some point the UK will have access to the same apps we do, so at some point you'll be able to download it.

According to their web site, their official app distribution program is supposed to be released by the end of the year. Remember, the current app catalog is in beta right now. So there's a good chance their app catalog will be open to everyone by the time my app is released.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    so clearly a lot of us are excited about this app. any ideas on when you'll complete your final designs, complete beta testing and make it available in the catalog?

this will be so cool, definitely will be a 'bragging rights' app .. "look what my phone does!" heehee
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    so clearly a lot of us are excited about this app. any ideas on when you'll complete your final designs, complete beta testing and make it available in the catalog?
    If all goes well, I hope to have it ready by the end of this month or early next month. Once I submit it, I hope Palm doesn't take too long to push it through.

Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    this will be so cool, definitely will be a 'bragging rights' app .. "look what my phone does!" heehee
    I don't know about you, but I have several people at work with iPhones and they all like to tease me about the number of apps they have. My response to them is: "GeoStrings...there's an app for that...but not on the iPhone!"
    Cool work. Now, let's beat up Palm to get them to release the voice SDK so that we can do GPS-based audio reminders!

Also, this seems like a great product to integrate with the location-based ads system mentioned on the front page. Offer 2 versions; pay-once or use the location-based ads.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Dan:

Looks like another great piece of work you are developing. I use Remix exclusively and I look forward to GeoStrings. I watched the videos but I am not clear whether a user will be able to click on the notification to get driving directions from their current location. It would be nice to tap on the notification and have the GeoString open and give the option by button to map the location, get directions from the current location (Gmaps), or navigate from current location (Sprint Navigation).

This feature would be of great utility to me when I travel. I like Sprint Navigation when traveling so I can hear the directions. Having GeoStrings provide a choice would be nice so I could minimize interactions with the phone while driving.

Keep the pop-up notification like all Palm apps where swiping dismisses the notification like you currently have; taping on the app icon on the left opens the app; and taping on the notification opens the GeoString. In the GeoString there would be buttons as I mentioned above.

It is evident that you have put much thought and engineering into this application. I hope that your help pop-ups will become a convention that other apps pick up. I look forward to its appearance in the Homebrew repository.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    Cool work. Now, let's beat up Palm to get them to release the voice SDK so that we can do GPS-based audio reminders!
    Wow that would be cool to be able to add voice recordings to a GeoString. I'm sure Palm will open up the API at some point and I'll definately add this ablity if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    Also, this seems like a great product to integrate with the location-based ads system mentioned on the front page. Offer 2 versions; pay-once or use the location-based ads.
    I'm not that keen on adding ads to my app. I personally find them annoying and distracting. I don't want people distracted when using my app. I think my app provides a valuable service and I hope most people think it'll be worth paying a small one-time fee to use this app and receive future updates/enhancements.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    Dan:

Looks like another great piece of work you are developing. I use Remix exclusively and I look forward to GeoStrings. I watched the videos but I am not clear whether a user will be able to click on the notification to get driving directions from their current location. It would be nice to tap on the notification and have the GeoString open and give the option by button to map the location, get directions from the current location (Gmaps), or navigate from current location (Sprint Navigation).
    That's a good idea, and yes you can do this in GeoStrings.

When you tap an "in alert" GeoString in the popup window, it'll display the detail view of the GeoString. You can then tap the location to bring up Google Maps. From there, you can get directions to the location from your current location.

This feature would be of great utility to me when I travel. I like Sprint Navigation when traveling so I can hear the directions. Having GeoStrings provide a choice would be nice so I could minimize interactions with the phone while driving.
    While this is a good idea in theory, I don't think it's possible. And even if it is possible, I don't think it's a good idea in practice. Not all webOS devices currently have Sprint as their provider, so designing my app based upon the assumption that it would be available would be a mistake.

It is evident that you have put much thought and engineering into this application. I hope that your help pop-ups will become a convention that other apps pick up. I look forward to its appearance in the Homebrew repository.
    Thanks...before I wrote a single line of code, I spent a long time designing the app on paper.

As I mentioned before, it's not being submitted to the Homebrew gallery. But you can look forward to it arriving in the official App Catalog!
  17.    #77  
    I've posted a new video ( ) demonstrating the various ways to add target locations to a GeoString. One of the suggestions made in this thread was to allow the user to select multiple businesses at once on the "business search" screen. This feature has been added and is demonstrated in the video.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    This is so cool! DanPLC, you are the man. I sorta wish I didn't know about it. Now I'm gonna have to monitor this thread 5 times a day for status..

Too bad we won't be able to tap a location and open Sprint Navigator. It will likely prove to be quite cumbersome to have to type the address into Navigator; particularly if I'm driving.

Nevertheless, I can wait for the finished product.

THANKS DANPLC!!!!

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    This looks amazing! I'll wait impatiently till it hits the app catalog. Keep up the great work!
    Last edited by tlaz; 12/04/2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: saw you're not accepting open requests for beta testers
    Wow... this sounds like a great app. I can't wait to see this show up in the catalog.

I am already planning how I could use use this damn near everyday, but especially the weekends, when I'm getting most of my errands done. haha
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast