Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #761  
    GeoStrings version 1.1.7 is now live in the catalog and adds support for the Pre 3.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    GeoStrings version 1.1.7 is now live in the catalog and adds support for the Pre 3.
    That's great... thanks!

I noticed an odd blip where the background wasn't set to the default (it was blank instead) which seemed to have an odd effect on the notifications - they turned completely black and so I couldn't read them

Not to worry, I just restored the default settings and everything's fine now

Just thought I'd tell you in case anyone else experiences this.

Thanks again... so happy to have this app back!
  3.    #763  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlove99 View Post
    That's great... thanks!

I noticed an odd blip where the background wasn't set to the default (it was blank instead) which seemed to have an odd effect on the notifications - they turned completely black and so I couldn't read them

Not to worry, I just restored the default settings and everything's fine now

Just thought I'd tell you in case anyone else experiences this.

Thanks again... so happy to have this app back!
    Weird... Thanks for the report.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Dan! When are you going to come to the dark side and port this fine Geostrings app for android? I have not been able to find an app that works as well as yours does. (Or one that works much at all actually)

I have to stick with the android for work but I miss geostrings on my pre SO BAD!
    Have you used any of the android versions of similar programs? Any you might recommend?

Ideally though of course, you just write geostrings for android.
  5.    #765  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    Dan! When are you going to come to the dark side and port this fine Geostrings app for android? I have not been able to find an app that works as well as yours does. (Or one that works much at all actually)

I have to stick with the android for work but I miss geostrings on my pre SO BAD!
    Have you used any of the android versions of similar programs? Any you might recommend?

I haven't tried any Android equivalents. So I don't have any recommendations.

I'm not sure if I'll do an Android version. I think I'd rather work on something new. I'm trying to come up with new ideas.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Wow, I had to do a double take to make sure I didn't write that android comment myself as i feel the exact same way! The location reminder apps for android are all totally worthless. I tried many and all of them are so poorly done. I'm amazed that I couldn't find something even partially acceptable. I really miss geostrings horribly bad.
    Last edited by kilroy; 11/23/2011 at 01:00 AM.
    Kilroy was here.
  7.    #767  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Wow, I had to do a double take to make sure I didn't write that android comment myself as i feel the exact same way! The location reminder apps for android are all totally worthless. I tried many and all of them are so poorly done. I'm amazed thY I couldn't find something even partially acceptable. I reaaly miss geostrings horribly bad.
    Were any of them paid apps? Do you really think Android users would pay for this type of app?

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Were any of them paid apps? Do you really think Android users would pay for this type of app?
    Hi Dan,

I only tried the free ones, but I did spend time reading the descriptions and user feedback for the few paid ones and they just didn't seem very attractive. It seemed to me that most (if not all) of the free ones polled the GPS quite frequently (draining the battery when you were nowhere near the target location).

It took me awhile to figure out your philosophy with Geostrings, but once I got it it made really good sense. I love how you've got grouped locations, favorites, the time window, and the boomerang idea of "not this time" is genius!

I only jumped ship from HPalm back in August when Leo crapped all over webOS. I knew it was pretty much over at that point. Hated to go away but the bazillion apps on Android really makes for a lot of fun fiddling with the phone. On the other hand, with SO MANY apps out there it becomes hard to find good stuff. I'm not sure how popular location reminder apps really are, although the Android market does show how many downloads apps get so that would be a good start. On the other hand, since IOS 5 has built location based reminders into the OS, I think that introduces some jealously on the part of android users and suddenly they are looking for an equivalent app that they didn't know they needed (same story with people suddenly finding that they need an app equivalent to Siri).

Anyway, bottom line is that I am too new to Android to know how well you might do with porting geostrings over there. HANDS DOWN you'd be LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything else I've seen, but would it amount to some good $ returns or not - unfortunately I don't know.

Gerry
    Kilroy was here.
  9.    #769  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Hi Dan,

I only tried the free ones, but I did spend time reading the descriptions and user feedback for the few paid ones and they just didn't seem very attractive. It seemed to me that most (if not all) of the free ones polled the GPS quite frequently (draining the battery when you were nowhere near the target location).

It took me awhile to figure out your philosophy with Geostrings, but once I got it it made really good sense. I love how you've got grouped locations, favorites, the time window, and the boomerang idea of "not this time" is genius!

I only jumped ship from HPalm back in August when Leo crapped all over webOS. I knew it was pretty much over at that point. Hated to go away but the bazillion apps on Android really makes for a lot of fun fiddling with the phone. On the other hand, with SO MANY apps out there it becomes hard to find good stuff. I'm not sure how popular location reminder apps really are, although the Android market does show how many downloads apps get so that would be a good start. On the other hand, since IOS 5 has built location based reminders into the OS, I think that introduces some jealously on the part of android users and suddenly they are looking for an equivalent app that they didn't know they needed (same story with people suddenly finding that they need an app equivalent to Siri).

Anyway, bottom line is that I am too new to Android to know how well you might do with porting geostrings over there. HANDS DOWN you'd be LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything else I've seen, but would it amount to some good $ returns or not - unfortunately I don't know.

Gerry
    Thanks for the thoughts. That's a good point about the jealousy of the iOS 5 feature. I did browse location reminders awhile ago but never found anything I thought would work for me. My biggest concern is battery life. I felt good about using my own app because I knew exactly what I did to conserve battery. I don't have the same trust in other apps.

I have been missing GeoStrings too, so maybe I'll do it one day. What's good is that I'll be able to port over much of my code because I use a Javascript-based package called Titanium. So all the code I wrote for battery conservation (a lot of it) would be easy to port.

Thanks for the thoughts. That's a good point about the jealousy of the iOS 5 feature. I did browse location reminders awhile ago but never found anything I thought would work for me. My biggest concern is battery life. I felt good about using my own app because I knew exactly what I did to conserve battery. I don't have the same trust in other apps.

I have been missing GeoStrings too, so maybe I'll do it one day. What's good is that I'll be able to port over much of my code because I use a Javascript-based package called Titanium. So all the code I wrote for battery conservation (a lot of it) would be easy to port.
    I have tried all the android "location" apps paid and free and nothing comes close to geostrings. I kind of gave up on them untill the IOs5 announcement and thought, well surely that would have prodded someone to write a decent app like geostrings.

Also, I think using a wifi to trigger an alarm is a great low-battery use way to ID a location. Like when I get home or to work if I want an alarm to trigger. No reason to use cell towers or GPS. Just use the ID of my wifi.

Dan dude, I would pay all kinds of money for geostrings on the android.
  11.    #771  
    I have tried all the android "location" apps paid and free and nothing comes close to geostrings. I kind of gave up on them untill the IOs5 announcement and thought, well surely that would have prodded someone to write a decent app like geostrings.

Also, I think using a wifi to trigger an alarm is a great low-battery use way to ID a location. Like when I get home or to work if I want an alarm to trigger. No reason to use cell towers or GPS. Just use the ID of my wifi.

Dan dude, I would pay all kinds of money for geostrings on the android.
    Another thing I'm hesitant about is supporting an app whose primary function depends on the device's ability to produce fairly accurate GPS readings. With so many devices out there in Android land, I'm wary to produce a GPS app since there may be some phones that don't have accurate GPS.

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I'd bet there are more than a few million (+/- 10 million), with accurate GPS - sounds like a lucritive opportunity to me.... '-)

I know this Motorola Photon's GPS is fast, accurate and barely uses the battery when on. (unlike my old Pre)

Sent from a Motorola-Photon using TapTalk for Android
  13.    #773  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    I'd bet there are more than a few million (+/- 10 million), with accurate GPS - sounds like a lucritive opportunity to me.... '-)

I know this Motorola Photon's GPS is fast, accurate and barely uses the battery when on. (unlike my old Pre)

Sent from a Motorola-Photon using TapTalk for Android
    Yeah you're probably right...I guess I'm just remembering all the bad ones from the Pre/Pre+ days.

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    When the Samsung Note comes to Sprint as the Journal, I suspect that will be the signal for me to go Android. I tried the Note at an ATT store, and its not too big for me and the function the stylus brings is much of what I have been missing since Palm left stylus based phones for capacitive screens. For now, Geostrings continues to be my most used app when on the road, and is the only app I fear will not have a decent replacement for on Android ICS for the Note/Journal series.

I hope you'll port it over, and if I already have my Journal, I'll be happy to help you test it.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    For those of you who visit the Music Player (Remix) thread, you know I've been working on a new app for awhile now. That app is called GeoStrings.

Up until now, most people keep track of their tasks via a calendar or to-do app that is date/time-based. However many tasks are actually location-based. There are things you have to do at certain locations, whether it be at home, at work, at the grocery store, at a department store, etc.

Now there is an app that allows you to keep track of those tasks and remind you when you get close to a particular location (or locations).

I've created an introduction video demonstrating some of GeoString's capabilities. You can view it here:

In the future, I'll continue to post more videos showing more in-depth features of the app, as well as a real-time demonstration of the app driving around town.

I'm currently in the testing phase of the project. All major components of the app are complete. Soon I will begin a closed beta phase and will be inviting certain PreCentral members to join. Right now I won't be taking open requests to join the beta list. Once beta testing is complete, I'll be submitting the app to the App Catalog.

EDIT: As of 12/31/09, the GeoStrings app has been released in the app catalog!
    Hi Dan

Wondered if I could ask a quick question...

I just installed geostrings on my palm pre 2 (webos 2.2.4). it doesn't seem to want to find any addresses when i try to add a location.

Gps is working fine on my device... geostrings even locates my position on it's map input page ...but if i tap on the icon as directed nothing happens. Searching for a business or an address brings up 'Unable to retrieve address coordinates'.

Wondered if you had any suggestions.

Regards, Neil.
  16.    #776  
    Quote Originally Posted by neil34 View Post
    Hi Dan

Wondered if I could ask a quick question...

I just installed geostrings on my palm pre 2 (webos 2.2.4). it doesn't seem to want to find any addresses when i try to add a location.

Gps is working fine on my device... geostrings even locates my position on it's map input page ...but if i tap on the icon as directed nothing happens. Searching for a business or an address brings up 'Unable to retrieve address coordinates'.

Wondered if you had any suggestions.

Regards, Neil.
    Sorry for the late response. I just saw this message. Google changed their APIs which broke the Business Search and Address Search functions. I've submitted an update (version 1.1.8) to HP to fix this issue. I'm not sure how long HP is taking to approve app updates these days, but whenever they do you should be able to download the update.

Preemptive likes this.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Did I just get notified about a post from 2 years ago or are developers still working on webOS stuff? Dan I'd do almost anything for a geostrings app on Android. 👍

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  18.    #778  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Did I just get notified about a post from 2 years ago or are developers still working on webOS stuff? Dan I'd do almost anything for a geostrings app on Android. 👍

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    I don't work on webOS development any more, but I saw the post above saying someone was having issues and found that Google retired some APIs so I figured I'd fix it.

No plans for GeoStrings on Android. Probably doesn't make sense since I think Google Now kinda has that functionality.

19.    #779  
    Sorry for the late response. I just saw this message. Google changed their APIs which broke the Business Search and Address Search functions. I've submitted an update (version 1.1.8) to HP to fix this issue. I'm not sure how long HP is taking to approve app updates these days, but whenever they do you should be able to download the update.
    Well it's been 19 days since I released the update to GeoStrings and it's still sitting in the HP review queue. I've emailed them twice and have received no responses. At this point I'm not too optimistic that anyone is even monitoring the app catalog over there any more. So not sure when (or if) this update will ever get pushed out.

Well it's been 19 days since I released the update to GeoStrings and it's still sitting in the HP review queue. I've emailed them twice and have received no responses. At this point I'm not too optimistic that anyone is even monitoring the app catalog over there any more. So not sure when (or if) this update will ever get pushed out.
    Its good to note that 2 applications recieved updates on 8/28/14. Orcrest and zap photoshare, so it seems to be moving slowly, but moving.