Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283334353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #741  
    It looks like the update was published early this morning. So it should be available now. If not, it should be within a few hours.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    5-star review left! Thanks!
  3.    #743  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    5-star review left! Thanks!
    Thanks! Now I'm only 2 reviews away from 100. Hopefully one day I'll get there.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

#99 (though it's still showing 98).

5 Stars.

It only took me 15 months to do the review!!! Thanks for the spur, I'm going to do 1 review a day until I've reviewed all my apps.
  5.    #745  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    #99 (though it's still showing 98).

5 Stars.

It only took me 15 months to do the review!!! Thanks for the spur, I'm going to do 1 review a day until I've reviewed all my apps.
    Thanks! Just one more left until 100!
  6. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I bout GeoStrings yesterday to support one of webOS's and Homebrew's great developers.

I know you are going through some frustrating times with the media indexer bug, but I've appreciated your Homebrew Music Player Remix since... well, for as long as I can remember playing music on my Pre. The 2.0 version was the first thing I bought from the app catalog after meta-doctoring to 2.1, to test full app catalog access, and to thank you for all the time I've enjoyed the Homebrew version on 1.4.5 and earlier.

You do great work, and webOS wouldn't be as awesome without you. Thanks.
  7.    #747  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I bout GeoStrings yesterday to support one of webOS's and Homebrew's great developers.

I know you are going through some frustrating times with the media indexer bug, but I've appreciated your Homebrew Music Player Remix since... well, for as long as I can remember playing music on my Pre. The 2.0 version was the first thing I bought from the app catalog after meta-doctoring to 2.1, to test full app catalog access, and to thank you for all the time I've enjoyed the Homebrew version on 1.4.5 and earlier.

You do great work, and webOS wouldn't be as awesome without you. Thanks.
    Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

I've enjoyed developing on webOS, but there have been some pretty frustrating moments. I'll be honest this last one (the media indexer bug) has almost pushed me over the edge of what I can tolerate. Since the 2.1 OTA update, I've received multiple support emails per day from people saying the app doesn't show music any more. That's like a developer of a word processor getting emails saying, "your app doesn't let me view or edit documents any more". Most everyone has been understanding and appreciative when I show them the workaround, but still it's draining to get these types of support emails on a daily basis.

But other than this bug (which thankfully I didn't cause!), the feedback I've received (email, forum posts, tweets, app reviews, etc.) has been overwhelmingly positive. So that's helped to balance out the bad stuff (media indexer bug). So thanks again for the feedback... it definitely helps.

8. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

I've enjoyed developing on webOS, but there have been some pretty frustrating moments. I'll be honest this last one (the media indexer bug) has almost pushed me over the edge of what I can tolerate. Since the 2.1 OTA update, I've received multiple support emails per day from people saying the app doesn't show music any more. That's like a developer of a word processor getting emails saying, "your app doesn't let me view or edit documents any more". Most everyone has been understanding and appreciative when I show them the workaround, but still it's draining to get these types of support emails on a daily basis.

But other than this bug (which thankfully I didn't cause!), the feedback I've received (email, forum posts, tweets, app reviews, etc.) has been overwhelmingly positive. So that's helped to balance out the bad stuff (media indexer bug). So thanks again for the feedback... it definitely helps.
    Maybe this belongs in the Remix thread, but can you push a notification to your app to let folks know it's a HP/Palm bug? More Solutions did this somehow with SportsLive! when the College Basketball was having an issue. It was just a simple banner that said "Click here for a special message from More Solutions" or something similar. I can post some screenshots if you would like.
  9.    #749  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Maybe this belongs in the Remix thread, but can you push a notification to your app to let folks know it's a HP/Palm bug? More Solutions did this somehow with SportsLive! when the College Basketball was having an issue. It was just a simple banner that said "Click here for a special message from More Solutions" or something similar. I can post some screenshots if you would like.
    Yeah I'm going to have to do something like this. I was hoping HP would release an official app that applies the workaround. That way I could display a popup with a button that opens the app's page in the catalog. But I don't know if/when that will happen. So I'll have to implement some type of info popup in my next release.
    I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I didn't find anything about it yet.

I was expecting that if define timewindows with my active geostrings (like only wed, 7:00-7:30) the app would be inactive all the other times and not eat up my battery.
    I set the above reminder as single geostring and by mugen 1400mA battery is at 22% after 8hrs (on a monday, no checks necessary at all), where it usually lasts up to 24hrs.
    Did I do anything wrong?
    I really love the idea of this application, I hope there is a way to use it without compromising the great batterylife of my Pre2!

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Last edited by Pulp; 05/02/2011 at 08:16 AM.
  11.    #751  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I didn't find anything about it yet.

I was expecting that if define timewindows with my active geostrings (like only wed, 7:00-7:30) the app would be inactive all the other times and not eat up my battery.
    I set the above reminder as single geostring and by mugen 1400mA battery is at 22% after 8hrs (on a monday, no checks necessary at all), where it usually lasts up to 24hrs.
    Did I do anything wrong?
    I really love the idea of this application, I hope there is a way to use it without compromising the great batterylife of my Pre2!

Thanks for your help in advance!
    The "time of the day" selection will determine which times of the day the app will run in the background. However the "day of the week" selection doesn't do this. The "day of the weeK" selection simply indicates whether you will be alerted.

So if you have 1 task set for "Wednesday", "7:00 - 7:30", the app will periodically run in the background between 7:00 and 7:30 every day of the week. But it shouldn't run at any other times of the day.

Is there any chance for an update that disables the background activity for tose "not selected" days? If the geostring is only needed one day of the week, the potential to save battery would be enormous!
  13.    #753  
    Is there any chance for an update that disables the background activity for tose "not selected" days? If the geostring is only needed one day of the week, the potential to save battery would be enormous!
    It's one of those things I've always wanted to do but never got a chance to do it. However while the "day of the week" setting doesn't affect battery life, the "start date" does. So if you have the "start date" set to "5/4/11", the app won't run in the background until 5/4/11 (assuming no other geostring tasks are active).

So if you have a recurring weekly task on Wednesdays, you could use the start date to accomplish the same thing. When you get reminded, just tap on the notification which will open up the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen. Then just change the start date to 7 days later (next Wednesday) and save it.

To be honest, there probably won't be too many more major GeoStrings updates (with new features) in the near future. I've been spending my time working on my latest apps, Music Player (Remix) and Quick Post, and after that I have another project I'll be working on.

Thanks for your quick reply - I'm gonna use the start date for now, and hope for the moment when you get the time to include even more sophisticated filters in a future update
  15.    #755  
    Thanks for your quick reply - I'm gonna use the start date for now, and hope for the moment when you get the time to include even more sophisticated filters in a future update
    Sounds good.

16.    #756  
    Version 1.1.7 of GeoStrings has been submitted for review. It adds support for the Pre 3 (running in full-screen). The only function that didn't work on the Pre 3 was the mapping functions, so they have been removed. There is some type of incompatibility with the Google Map API on the Pre 3. But everything else should work fine. The "map input" function has been replaced on the Pre 3 with a "current location" function.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Version 1.1.7 of GeoStrings has been submitted for review. It adds support for the Pre 3 (running in full-screen). The only function that didn't work on the Pre 3 was the mapping functions, so they have been removed. There is some type of incompatibility with the Google Map API on the Pre 3. But everything else should work fine. The "map input" function has been replaced on the Pre 3 with a "current location" function.
    Great news! My Pre 3 has been struggling without this great app! A slightly less functional version is better than nothing. This Google Map API compatibility issue; does it mean we'll never see the "map input" function or is there a way around it in a future release?

Also, can I just say that the developers for webOS are a different class and, Dan, you're doing a great job, not just with GeoStrings but Music Player (Remix) too - despite the issues you're faced with, you are relentless, you are determined and we, the webOS community, benefit massively from guys like you.

Keep up the great work!
  18.    #758  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlove99 View Post
    Great news! My Pre 3 has been struggling without this great app! A slightly less functional version is better than nothing. This Google Map API compatibility issue; does it mean we'll never see the "map input" function or is there a way around it in a future release?
    Basically you can't interact with the map for some reason. You can't drag it around and it won't register clicks. So yeah that means the "map input" function would be useless. I worked on it for awhile and couldn't figure out what was wrong. I also tried the "iOS style map" app from James Harris (he has his code open-sourced) and it also failed. He uses the same Google Map API code. So I think there's something in webOS 2.2 that makes it incompatible.

The only way this function would return would be to use another mapping service. But that's a decent amount of work since I'd have to replace all of my Google Map code with something else.

Also, can I just say that the developers for webOS are a different class and, Dan, you're doing a great job, not just with GeoStrings but Music Player (Remix) too - despite the issues you're faced with, you are relentless, you are determined and we, the webOS community, benefit massively from guys like you.

Keep up the great work!
    Thanks, I appreciate it. There have been some big challenges, but since a lot of people have asked me about getting my apps on the newer hardware (Pre 3, TouchPad), I figured it would be worth taking the time to do it.

Once my latest updates for Remix and Quick Post are approved, those apps will be available on all webOS hardware including the TouchPad. GeoStrings will be available on everything except the TouchPad. Since most TouchPads don't have GPS, I don't think it's worth converting it.

I was wondering, how easy would it be to implement a means of using manual entry of gps co-ordinates for locations?

I only ask because I know the co-ordinates of my most common locations (I use Mode Switcher which uses the co-ordinates system) and copying these into GeoStrings would take little to no time. I suspect there may be some other Pre 3 users that would benefit from this.

Any thoughts?
  20.    #760  
    I was wondering, how easy would it be to implement a means of using manual entry of gps co-ordinates for locations?

I only ask because I know the co-ordinates of my most common locations (I use Mode Switcher which uses the co-ordinates system) and copying these into GeoStrings would take little to no time. I suspect there may be some other Pre 3 users that would benefit from this.

Any thoughts?
    I don't think many people would be using GPS coordinates. Very few people would ever know the GPS coordinates of a location without looking it up. And if you're going to look it up, you might as well search within the app.

So no I wouldn't consider adding a feature that only a handful of people would find useful.