Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2631323334353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #701  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Dan,

I noticed a problem today when creating a geostring.

I started by hitting the "+" to create a new geostring. I gave it a name, and then hit the notes icon to the right of the name. Next, I started jotting down notes. While I was jotting notes, I received a text message so I swiped up on geostrings so I could go to my (already running) messaging program. I noticed that when I swiped up on geostrings, it took away the notes entry page and went back to the 'Add/Edit a GeoString' page (not sure why it wants to exit the page I was working on). When I brought geostrings back to full screen and hit the notes button, everything I typed was gone (because I was still typing it and hadn't saved anything yet).

Problem?

Thanks!

Gerry
    You're correct. The "edit notes" screen is merely a popup so if you transition focus to another app, the "edit notes" screen will go away and the note will not be saved. So currently, if you're adding/editing a note, you should finish the note, swipe backwards, then switch apps if you want to.

I'll mark this on the issues list; however right now I'm focusing all my time on preparing the final release of Music Player (Remix), so I wouldn't expect this to be fixed anytime soon. I may be releasing a minor update to GeoStrings soon, but it'll be focused on improving the odds of GPS accuracy.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  2.    #702  
    An update (version 1.1.3) has been submitted to the app catalog. The main feature is improving the accuracy of positional fixes. It takes advantage of an update to webOS which was introduced in 1.4.1.1 (Sprint) and 1.4.5 (other carriers). Now that 1.4.5 is pretty much across the board, I'm releasing the fix. It also has a few other minor fixes in there.

The update should be available in a few days once Palm approves it.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

3.    #703  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    An update (version 1.1.3) has been submitted to the app catalog. The main feature is improving the accuracy of positional fixes. It takes advantage of an update to webOS which was introduced in 1.4.1.1 (Sprint) and 1.4.5 (other carriers). Now that 1.4.5 is pretty much across the board, I'm releasing the fix. It also has a few other minor fixes in there.

The update should be available in a few days once Palm approves it.
    The update is now live in the app catalog!

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Dan,

This continues to be my most often used application, I use it every day, I always have 2 to 4 active strings all the time.

Most of the time, I am reminded of something for which I know exactly the location where I want to go to. The other day, I added a string to get HEB coffee, my wife and I love their classic roast above all others we tried. There is not a store close by, and its hard to tell where I might run across one, so I added every HEB in Southwest Houston and Sugar Land.

When picking up my daughter one evening, I was alerted there was an HEB near by. I was not in familiar territory, and I did not know exactly how to get to the location of the HEB. I would have liked to be able to click a map icon on the alert to pull up a map (prefer to let me select the map app, BFG Maps!) showing my location and the location of the store. I knew the store was only a block away, in some direction, but could not tell where.

Is this function in there, and I missed it?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  5.    #705  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    This continues to be my most often used application, I use it every day, I always have 2 to 4 active strings all the time.
    I'm glad you're finding it useful. I know I couldn't imagine my life without it.

Most of the time, I am reminded of something for which I know exactly the location where I want to go to. The other day, I added a string to get HEB coffee, my wife and I love their classic roast above all others we tried. There is not a store close by, and its hard to tell where I might run across one, so I added every HEB in Southwest Houston and Sugar Land.

When picking up my daughter one evening, I was alerted there was an HEB near by. I was not in familiar territory, and I did not know exactly how to get to the location of the HEB. I would have liked to be able to click a map icon on the alert to pull up a map (prefer to let me select the map app, BFG Maps!) showing my location and the location of the store. I knew the store was only a block away, in some direction, but could not tell where.

Is this function in there, and I missed it?
    The best way to do this would be to load the app, then tap on the map icon at the bottom of the starting screen. This will load all the active geostrings on a single map centered around your current location (marked by a little person icon). You can tap on each marker to view your tasks at that location. In the situation you described, it would be the marker closest to your current location.

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Dan, I tried this and yes, eventually, the map opens, but it takes even longer than the google maps app. I suspect this is because of all the locations on various strings it is trying to pull up? It takes far too long to be useful to me, when you are moving down the road, only have a few seconds at a red light to look, you can't afford to take too long. Perhaps a way to only open the one "found" location and your current location would take less time?

Thanks.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  7.    #707  
    Dan, I tried this and yes, eventually, the map opens, but it takes even longer than the google maps app. I suspect this is because of all the locations on various strings it is trying to pull up? It takes far too long to be useful to me, when you are moving down the road, only have a few seconds at a red light to look, you can't afford to take too long. Perhaps a way to only open the one "found" location and your current location would take less time?

Thanks.
    No it's not the number of locations. I just tried it out with only 1 active geostring (with 1 target location) and it was really slow (stuck on "Loading map" for awhile). When it's displaying "Loading Maps", it's configuring the map with Google's API. This used to be a relatively quick operation (depending upon network speed). But now even on WIFI it's painfully slow for some reason. I'll have to try to figure out what's going on. There may have been a change in the Google Maps API.

8.    #708  
    I found the reason for the maps getting stuck on "Loading Map". It seems something changed in the Google Maps API that causes the "tilesloaded" event to either never fire or fire very late. Some other people reported there is an incompatibility between the tilesloaded event and the Prototype Javascript framework (which of course is used in webOS). This used to work fine, so I imagine this problem was introduced in a later revision of the Google Maps API.

So I'm working around the issue by using the bounds_changed event instead. Everything's working great again. Version 1.1.4 has been submitted to the catalog and should appear early next week. I'll announce on here and Twitter when it's available.

9.    #709  
    Version 1.1.4 of GeoStrings is now available for download in the app catalog.

10.    #710  
    Version 1.1.5 of GeoStrings has been submitted to the catalog and should be available in a few days. The Google Maps API changed resulting in markers not showing up on the map screen.

11.    #711  
    Version 1.1.5 of GeoStrings is now available in the catalog.

Dan - just downloaded (yesterday) the free trial version of Geostrings after having thought about just how cool the idea is for quite some time. I'm already sold and will purchase the full version.

Question: in your video instructions (great idea btw!) you can clearly be heard to be typing on a pc keyboard. Is it possible to enter the app via PC (I assume with my Pre attached via usb) and make my lists, reminders, location selections, etc. in this fashion?

I love my Pre but frankly HATE the keyboard - its too small and despite having it replaced 1x, fixed another and having the latest version (Pre Plus) some of my keyboard keys require a Herculean effort to make work.

I HAVE searched this thread and also gone through most of the instructions without seeing this addressed - if I've missed it I apologize.

Your thoughts?
  13.    #713  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treoinmypocket View Post
    Dan - just downloaded (yesterday) the free trial version of Geostrings after having thought about just how cool the idea is for quite some time. I'm already sold and will purchase the full version.

Question: in your video instructions (great idea btw!) you can clearly be heard to be typing on a pc keyboard. Is it possible to enter the app via PC (I assume with my Pre attached via usb) and make my lists, reminders, location selections, etc. in this fashion?

I love my Pre but frankly HATE the keyboard - its too small and despite having it replaced 1x, fixed another and having the latest version (Pre Plus) some of my keyboard keys require a Herculean effort to make work.

I HAVE searched this thread and also gone through most of the instructions without seeing this addressed - if I've missed it I apologize.

Your thoughts?
    Keyboards...now that's a sore topic with me lately. Every other key on my Sprint Pre (my 4th) doesn't work. That means the orange key, X, V, N, and comma all don't work. Anytime I have to type one of those keys, I have to find some creative way to do it (like copy/paste). And what's worse is that every few days, the keys start working for a few minutes but then stop working again.

I actually like the Pre's keyboard (when it worked). For typing small amounts of text, it works nicely. For longer emails, it starts getting uncomfortable.

Anyway back to your question... the keyboard you're hearing is a PC; however the reason I'm able to do this is because I'm using the emulator that came with the SDK. So no, there's currently no way of entering new reminders or locations using a computer.

Dan,

Thanks for the reply - I figured you were on the emulator but thought it migh tbe possible to do what I suggested...HOPED really...lol.

ON the old Plam Desktop you could enter into a few apps from the desktop and have that transfer over - come to think of it, that was an actuall transfer not interaction with the app itself.

In any case, I think this would be a great feature for you app if you ever get done with the other "great features". I think it would be really useful to plug your Pre into your pc via USB and open the app as if you were in the phone. I also realize that functionaLITY might be predicated on webOS and the Pre hardware more than your app itself.

Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying both GeoStrings (I DID make the full purchase BTW) as well as Music Player (remix).
  15.    #715  
    Dan,

Thanks for the reply - I figured you were on the emulator but thought it migh tbe possible to do what I suggested...HOPED really...lol.

ON the old Plam Desktop you could enter into a few apps from the desktop and have that transfer over - come to think of it, that was an actuall transfer not interaction with the app itself.

In any case, I think this would be a great feature for you app if you ever get done with the other "great features". I think it would be really useful to plug your Pre into your pc via USB and open the app as if you were in the phone. I also realize that functionaLITY might be predicated on webOS and the Pre hardware more than your app itself.

Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying both GeoStrings (I DID make the full purchase BTW) as well as Music Player (remix).
    Thanks for purchasing the app. I know you'll find many great uses for it.

Actually, if I were to create a feature like this (which I've thought of by the way), it would be done with a web service. Having to connect your device to your computer with a cable is so last century! Basically there would be some type of web service where you enter in your data into a web browser, then the app would sync with the web service.

Now when will I get around to doing this? I'm not sure. Right now I'm busy with Remix and honestly I haven't thought of my next project yet.

Thanks for purchasing the app. I know you'll find many great uses for it.

Actually, if I were to create a feature like this (which I've thought of by the way), it would be done with a web service. Having to connect your device to your computer with a cable is so last century! Basically there would be some type of web service where you enter in your data into a web browser, then the app would sync with the web service.

Now when will I get around to doing this? I'm not sure. Right now I'm busy with Remix and honestly I haven't thought of my next project yet.
    Dan - I like the webservice idea...its very "NOW"

Here's a frustration of mine - don't know if Geostrings can circumvent it:

Where I live is on the border of two counties and when I search for a location (as in one of your videos where you search for Walmart) Google (and by extension Geostrings) returns result from one county and not the other. The problem is that the county I live in has 1/2 the retail locations and the county I border has the other. I can't get the results of both counties on one, general search. Another wrinkle is I live in a suburb of a city but my postal location is referred to as that city. If I change my location in geostrings to the name of the suburb where I live my search results are different (and more accurate) but only reflect the retail outlets in the county I BORDER - not live in.

Did you follow that?

The point is that my results don't seem to pull from a physical distance radius around my physical location, they pull from the arbitrary designation of government borders.

Its frustrating and adds extra steps to something that should be one step.

Your thoughts?
  17.    #717  
    Dan - I like the webservice idea...its very "NOW"

Here's a frustration of mine - don't know if Geostrings can circumvent it:

Where I live is on the border of two counties and when I search for a location (as in one of your videos where you search for Walmart) Google (and by extension Geostrings) returns result from one county and not the other. The problem is that the county I live in has 1/2 the retail locations and the county I border has the other. I can't get the results of both counties on one, general search. Another wrinkle is I live in a suburb of a city but my postal location is referred to as that city. If I change my location in geostrings to the name of the suburb where I live my search results are different (and more accurate) but only reflect the retail outlets in the county I BORDER - not live in.

Did you follow that?

The point is that my results don't seem to pull from a physical distance radius around my physical location, they pull from the arbitrary designation of government borders.

Its frustrating and adds extra steps to something that should be one step.

Your thoughts?
    The search is powered by Google. And the results are sorted based upon the distance to your current location. So places near you would be at the top of the list. Try running the same search on Google's map site and see what results you get. So on maps.google.com, type in:

Your Place of Interest, Your City, Your Abbreviated State

The search is powered by Google. And the results are sorted based upon the distance to your current location. So places near you would be at the top of the list. Try running the same search on Google's map site and see what results you get. So on maps.google.com, type in:

Your Place of Interest, Your City, Your Abbreviated State
    Dan -Yes, I understood Google powers the search. However, I am not getting the correct (closest) result. Here's what happens:

Geostrings: Business Search page; lists my location as my county then my state (if I back out of the Business Search page & click on the map icon in the bottom tray its brings up my physical location on the map accurately - the man is standing at my house). I click on the search icon in the bottom tray and return to the "Business Search" page where I now type "Walmart" into the search window. The results show a Walmart 5.3 miles from my house and do not show the Walmart that is 1.6 miles from my house.

Google Maps: (on My Pre) I open the map noting my location here is also accurate. I type in the search box at teh top of the screen "Walmart". The results list the closest Walmart SuperCenter accurately (1.6 miles away)

As I played around with the search I noticed that the results seem to be off because of that "county" designation for my location. To prove that I opened Google maps on my Pre and entered a search for my county just as Geostrings has it listed on the "Business Search" page under my location. Google brings up the county correctly and I then use the "Search nearby" option and search for "Walmart". I NOW get the result that Geostrings gave me of a Walmart 5.3 miles away instead of the accurate result of the one 1.6 miles away.

My only guess here is that whatever coordinates are associated with Location: county are not the same as say...Location: address.

I realize - as you stated - Google Maps is generating the results for Geostrings but something isn't the same. Geostrings is simply not generating the closest physical result in this instance. That inaccuracy is replicable in Google Maps separately but I have to force that inaccuracy to occur.

Is is possible that Geostrings designation of my location as a county instead of an address is skewing the result?
  19.    #719  
    Dan -Yes, I understood Google powers the search. However, I am not getting the correct (closest) result. Here's what happens:

Geostrings: Business Search page; lists my location as my county then my state (if I back out of the Business Search page & click on the map icon in the bottom tray its brings up my physical location on the map accurately - the man is standing at my house). I click on the search icon in the bottom tray and return to the "Business Search" page where I now type "Walmart" into the search window. The results show a Walmart 5.3 miles from my house and do not show the Walmart that is 1.6 miles from my house.

Google Maps: (on My Pre) I open the map noting my location here is also accurate. I type in the search box at teh top of the screen "Walmart". The results list the closest Walmart SuperCenter accurately (1.6 miles away)

As I played around with the search I noticed that the results seem to be off because of that "county" designation for my location. To prove that I opened Google maps on my Pre and entered a search for my county just as Geostrings has it listed on the "Business Search" page under my location. Google brings up the county correctly and I then use the "Search nearby" option and search for "Walmart". I NOW get the result that Geostrings gave me of a Walmart 5.3 miles away instead of the accurate result of the one 1.6 miles away.

My only guess here is that whatever coordinates are associated with Location: county are not the same as say...Location: address.

I realize - as you stated - Google Maps is generating the results for Geostrings but something isn't the same. Geostrings is simply not generating the closest physical result in this instance. That inaccuracy is replicable in Google Maps separately but I have to force that inaccuracy to occur.

Is is possible that Geostrings designation of my location as a county instead of an address is skewing the result?
    Can you PM me your exact location (where you're trying to run the search) so I can investigate the search results for "walmart". Also let me know the city and state that gets filled in automatically when you run the search.

a question about the "boomerang" button. I set up a geostring for a gas station on the way to work to remind myself to to get gas if I need to. My idea was that it would trigger on the way to work, I would hit the boomerang and then it would trigger again on the way home. This would involve leaving the target area and the rentering the area. I get a alarm the first time but it doesn't trigger again when I renter the area on the way home - even if i pull into the gas station and waiit around there for 10 minutes.

should I expect it retrigger or do I not understand how it is supposed to work? I have paid version on a Pixi Plus.

- joe