Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #681  
    Version 1.1.2 has been submitted to the app catalog. It's a small release, but it lays the groundwork for some really cool features that are enabled via the webOS cross-app launching feature. One of the coolest features of webOS is the ability for any app to launch any other app. Apps can pass data between each other and that adds up to some pretty cool features.

In this release, I've added the ability for any app to launch GeoStrings and set its custom ringtone. The first app to make use of this feature is 'Free Music Ringtones' by spdsktr. The latest version of his app that was just submitted to the catalog adds a "Send to App" feature that allows you to assign an app's custom ringtone. So now you can search millions of ringtones and set any of them as the GeoStrings custom alert sound without even launching the GeoStrings app!

Also in this release I've added a new button on the Preferences screen that lets you launch the 'Free Music Ringtones" app directly from within GeoStrings.

I have many other cross-app features planned for my apps. I have a new app in the works and it will use GeoStrings in a very unique way.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    That's awesome! Both are great apps, this is a great way to use them together.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I have a new app in the works and it will use GeoStrings in a very unique way.
    If you are designing, I am buying, just saying.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  4.    #684  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    If you are designing, I am buying, just saying.
    Actually most likely it will be free. I made some really good progress on it last night. It's almost complete. I hope to have it submitted by this weekend. I'll then post a preview video. I think people are going to really enjoy this one.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

5.    #685  
    Version 1.1.2 of GeoStrings has been released. Once the update for Free Music Ringtones is published, you'll be able to browse millions of ringtones on your phone and set any of them as your GeoStrings alert sound directly from the FMR app.

That's gonna be slick
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  7.    #687  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    That's gonna be slick
    Yes it will.

Hey I just thought of another cool cross-app launching idea. I've contacted another developer...hopefully they'll jump on board. If so, I'll post it on here. Actually either way, I'll probably add the support and post it here. So keep a look out for the news!

Will there be a backup/restore feature soon? Or perhaps support in the Save/Restore Community app?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Dan,

Been meaning to revisit this for awhile but just haven't gotten around to it. I know this subject came up back in January.

I have two geotasks that are daily events. One fires off as I approach work and one fires off near a supermarket on the way home. They are there just for me to evaluate how "repeatable" geostrings is each day. Quite often, neither of these fire off at all. It's only when I start geostrings that they fire off an alert (if I am still near the target area). When I think about what happened that would be to blame, I realize that I had a crash that caused me to have to do a battery pull, or I had a luna restart (there's that word again) either because its was mandatory after installing some homebrew, or because the device crashed and restarted (luna only) as was introduced by Palm in 1.4.

Bottom line though, it seems that luna restarts (desired or not), or battery pulls do not result in geostrings background processings running after the device is back after the restart.

Any ideas?
  10.    #690  
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Will there be a backup/restore feature soon? Or perhaps support in the Save/Restore Community app?
    I still plan on implementing a backup/restore/syncing feature in the next major release. But before that I plan on doing another minor release to fix some issues. As far as how quick it will be, I'm not sure right now. For the past 2 weeks I've been focused on Web Hopper and now I'm re-focusing on Music Player (Remix).
  11.    #691  
    Kilroy, GeoStrings will run again after a reboot so I don't think it's that. There is a known issue (actually 2) that can cause the app to not re-awaken in the background. Both are related to webOS flaws. The next minor release I referenced in my last post will address these issues. I'm waiting for the next webOS release since it requires 1.4.1.1 or later for one of the fixes and not al markets have this version of webOS.

After the next app release let me know if it gets better.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I still plan on implementing a backup/restore/syncing feature in the next major release. But before that I plan on doing another minor release to fix some issues. As far as how quick it will be, I'm not sure right now. For the past 2 weeks I've been focused on Web Hopper and now I'm re-focusing on Music Player (Remix).
    I migrated my old PalmOS tasks to Done! with Toodledoo last week. Didn't know about GeoStrings, but am considering using it along side Done!. I just don't want to invest the time in setting up reminders in GeoStrings until you add web-sync support. (already had to reflash my phone once & lost some data in an app that doesn't backup off-device even though it was supposed to be backed up with the on-device backup/restore app)
  13.    #693  
    Quote Originally Posted by hochstrb View Post
    I migrated my old PalmOS tasks to Done! with Toodledoo last week. Didn't know about GeoStrings, but am considering using it along side Done!. I just don't want to invest the time in setting up reminders in GeoStrings until you add web-sync support. (already had to reflash my phone once & lost some data in an app that doesn't backup off-device even though it was supposed to be backed up with the on-device backup/restore app)
    Once you've set up your more commonly used locations and some of your favorite geostring tasks, you can always manually back up the data. You can find instructions here: http://forums.precentral.net/hedami/...ml#post2159005

This is not an ideal solution, but it's an option.

Also you can always try out the free, fully-functional 10-day trial version. If you decide the app is pure awesomeness and you can live without backup/restore functionality, you can transfer all of your data from the trial version to the full version with the click of a single button.

At this point, I can't give a definitive answer on when backup/restore/sync will be added to GeoStrings. Right now I'm re-focusing on Music Player (Remix). But at some point I'll work on the next large release of GeoStrings which will have backup/restore/sync. And there will be a very small release soon (waiting on webOS 1.4.5 to release it).

If I reset my phone, does it reset all of the data in geostrings?
  15.    #695  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeck77095 View Post
    If I reset my phone, does it reset all of the data in geostrings?
    It depends what you mean by "reset". Rebooting the phone will not reset your data. If you doctor your phone, then you will lose all your data if you don't manually back up the sqlite database file.

How do you backup the sqlite database? Doesn't the Palm backup do this? What about the data from other downloaded apps? How does one know what to manually backup? Thanks
  17.    #697  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeck77095 View Post
    How do you backup the sqlite database? Doesn't the Palm backup do this? What about the data from other downloaded apps? How does one know what to manually backup? Thanks
    App data (stored in a database or as cookies) is not backed up with the Palm Backup service.

I'm not sure what exactly is backed up using the Palm Backup service, so I don't want to tell you the wrong information. There should be other threads in the forums describing what exactly is backed up.

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Dan, I'm a big fan of your music app (who isn't?) and really like Geostrings so far (day 2 of the free trial). However, after replacing my phone twice, and Doctoring it a handful of other times, I don't want to start using software without a backup option. I know you're very busy with the awesome new music 2.0 app so you may not have time yet to put a backup feature in Geostrings. Is there a way to use Save/Restore to backup geostrings?
  19.    #699  
    Quote Originally Posted by delao13 View Post
    Dan, I'm a big fan of your music app (who isn't?) and really like Geostrings so far (day 2 of the free trial). However, after replacing my phone twice, and Doctoring it a handful of other times, I don't want to start using software without a backup option. I know you're very busy with the awesome new music 2.0 app so you may not have time yet to put a backup feature in Geostrings. Is there a way to use Save/Restore to backup geostrings?
    Thanks a lot for the kind words!

If you're able to get access to the linux prompt, you can follow the instructions in this thread to backup and restore the GeoStrings database: http://forums.precentral.net/hedami/...ml#post2159005

Right now I'm staying focused on Music Player (Remix) 2.0 and don't have the time to work on a more user-friendly backup option. But one day I will.

Oh and in that post I linked to, I said I never tried this backup/restore method. But since then I have had to replace my phone and I did use this method to restore all of my GeoStrings data. So it does work.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Dan,

I noticed a problem today when creating a geostring.

I started by hitting the "+" to create a new geostring. I gave it a name, and then hit the notes icon to the right of the name. Next, I started jotting down notes. While I was jotting notes, I received a text message so I swiped up on geostrings so I could go to my (already running) messaging program. I noticed that when I swiped up on geostrings, it took away the notes entry page and went back to the 'Add/Edit a GeoString' page (not sure why it wants to exit the page I was working on). When I brought geostrings back to full screen and hit the notes button, everything I typed was gone (because I was still typing it and hadn't saved anything yet).

Problem?

Thanks!

Gerry