Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 242930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 783
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #661  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlwagner View Post
    When I upgraded to the new version, I lost my stored geostrings; not sure why. Was there anything I could/should have done to avoid that? More generally, is there a way to sync the geostring list with the desktop or cloud?

    Thanks, by the way, for a spectacular program; I use this app contantly.
    I can't imagine how an upgrade would result in data loss. The GeoString data is stored in an sqlite database so it should be persistent. Did you lose your saved locations as well? Also if you go to the "GeoString History" screen, are any GeoStrings showing up?

    The only possible explanation I can think of is that you had your phone connected to your computer in USB Mode and unplugged it without closing it down properly in Windows (or whatever OS you're using). I know anytime you connect any flash drive to your computer, you have to right-click the little icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen and ask it to stop using the device. If you don't do that, there's a chance you may corrupt your data.

    The ability to backup/restore your data was scheduled to be in the 1.1.0 release. However the current 1.1.0 release was originally meant to be a smaller 1.0.8 update but it turned into a larger update so I named it 1.1.0. I didn't want to delay 1.1.0 too much longer, so I released it without the backup/restore functionality. The next major release (1.2.0) will have it though.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  2. #662  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I can't imagine how an upgrade would result in data loss. The GeoString data is stored in an sqlite database so it should be persistent. Did you lose your saved locations as well? Also if you go to the "GeoString History" screen, are any GeoStrings showing up?
    I lost *one* preexisting, active, GeoString while editing it to change the date. I assumed I did something wrong & didn't report it; since someone else lost data I guess I should let you know.

    I lost no locations or anything else.
  3. #663  
    Dan, I have two items I'd appreciate if you would consider:
    * Add a preferences option to specify which list of locations shows up when you hit the favorites star to add a location. I use groups more than anything & would like to save the screen press. Obviously not a huge deal.
    * Change the location displayed in a GeoString list (active, historical, whatever) to show the group name, not all of the individual locations. This would clean up the display a bit & more closely reflect what was entered. If you need to have a (g) or (group) on the end to show what it is I'd be fine with that; as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't need that. This one is, to me, more important.

    Thanks,
    Michael
  4.    #664  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    Dan, I have two items I'd appreciate if you would consider:
    * Add a preferences option to specify which list of locations shows up when you hit the favorites star to add a location. I use groups more than anything & would like to save the screen press. Obviously not a huge deal.
    I have this on my to-do list actually.

    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    * Change the location displayed in a GeoString list (active, historical, whatever) to show the group name, not all of the individual locations. This would clean up the display a bit & more closely reflect what was entered. If you need to have a (g) or (group) on the end to show what it is I'd be fine with that; as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't need that. This one is, to me, more important.
    l
    There are few problems with this suggestion:

    1) Just because somebody used a location group to add locations to a GeoString, it doesn't mean the final location list matches the location group list. For instance, I might add a location group (with 3 locations) to a GeoString and then delete one of them and save only 2 to the GeoString. Or I might add a 4th location that was not present in the original location group.

    2) Locations are stored in GeoStrings, not location groups. So if you have a location group named "DVD Stores" with 3 locations and save those 3 locations to a GeoString and then later decide to delete one of the locations in your location group, the original 3 locations will still be present in the GeoString.

    So listing locations (not location groups) is required to accurately reflect the locations saved to a GeoString.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  5.    #665  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    I lost *one* preexisting, active, GeoString while editing it to change the date. I assumed I did something wrong & didn't report it; since someone else lost data I guess I should let you know.

    I lost no locations or anything else.
    Are you sure it's not in your history list? Could you have renamed it and you may not be finding it? The only time the app will delete a GeoString is if the "Delete the GeoString once the target location is reached" flag is set and you reach your target location.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  6. #666  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Are you sure it's not in your history list? Could you have renamed it and you may not be finding it? The only time the app will delete a GeoString is if the "Delete the GeoString once the target location is reached" flag is set and you reach your target location.
    Yes, I'm sure it was gone. I looked through *all* lists; this was one of my favorites (it reminds me a couple of days before my library books are due). I've since added it back.
  7.    #667  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    Yes, I'm sure it was gone. I looked through *all* lists; this was one of my favorites (it reminds me a couple of days before my library books are due). I've since added it back.
    Well I can't imagine how a record would be deleted by editing it. I don't perform any delete operations in this scenario. You must have had some type of database corruption when you updated the record.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  8. lupos's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    #668  
    Hey, first up, love this app. I have had some issues lately with the reminders going off in a timely fashion but I know with my going in and out of the subway and Manhattan not being the best for GPS and 1.4.1.1 killing background tasks to quickly it's kind of to be expected.

    At any rate I had an idea that I think could be useful in a lot of apps but most specifically geostrings. I love that it will pop up a reminder at certain stores for certain things but some times I have a whole shopping list and geostrings isn't really an ideal list organizer. I'd love to be able to set another one of my apps to launch when a geostring is activated. Perhaps even a preference menu where I can choose which apps to include in the actually geostring creation stage. I'm not sure how much access you can get to other app info but I know url's open the browser and email links open email etc, so I was hoping it would be do able.
  9.    #669  
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    Hey, first up, love this app. I have had some issues lately with the reminders going off in a timely fashion but I know with my going in and out of the subway and Manhattan not being the best for GPS and 1.4.1.1 killing background tasks to quickly it's kind of to be expected.
    Make sure you follow the GPS troubleshooting steps in the FAQ (found on the app's help screen). Also make sure you're running the latest version of the app (1.1.0).

    In relation to the 1.4.x background time issue, the time was extended in 1.4.1.1 to 60-seconds; however I'm not yet taking advantage of this because only Sprint customers have access to 1.4.1.1. If I take advantage of this then I would have to set the minimum OS version to 1.4.1.1 which would result in the app being pulled from every other catalog (Verizon, world-wide, etc.) But hopefully Palm will release a new 1.4.x release in other areas and I can start taking advantage of the increased background time. Until then, GeoStrings works; however it's more sensitive to situations where accurate GPS fixes cannot be obtained quickly. I did implement code in version 1.1.0 to better handle these situations though, so there should be an improvement between 1.1.0 and earlier versions.

    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    At any rate I had an idea that I think could be useful in a lot of apps but most specifically geostrings. I love that it will pop up a reminder at certain stores for certain things but some times I have a whole shopping list and geostrings isn't really an ideal list organizer. I'd love to be able to set another one of my apps to launch when a geostring is activated. Perhaps even a preference menu where I can choose which apps to include in the actually geostring creation stage. I'm not sure how much access you can get to other app info but I know url's open the browser and email links open email etc, so I was hoping it would be do able.
    Apps can launch any other app. Your idea would work fine for standard apps (email, web browser, etc.); however it would not work so well with 3rd-party apps. The reason is that there is no way (via a documented API) to list which apps are installed on the phone. So the only way to accomplish this would be to ask the user to type in the app id (com.companyname.appname). Most people are not going to know this id.

    The only solution would be to have GeoStrings support a limited set of apps where it knew the app id as well as the launch parameters.

    However I already plan on implementing a way to add lists (in addition to the already existing basic notes) to a GeoString, so this would solve your particular need.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  10.    #670  
    For a limited time only, GeoStrings is on sale for 50% off ($1.50)! The sale is available in all international regions as well. So grab it while you can at this price!
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  11.    #671  
    The GeoStrings 50% sale is almost over. I've submitted the original $2.99 price back to Palm. So if you've been sitting on the fence, now is the time to pick it up for the bargain price of $1.50!
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  12.    #672  
    The GeoStrings thread is going to be moving to the new Hedami developer forum. So if you're looking for the thread, it will be there shortly.

    The Hedami forum will be used to discuss my current apps, GeoStrings and Music Player (Remix), as well as my upcoming projects.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  13.    #673  
    The next version of GeoStrings is complete. I'm going to run some more tests on it and submit it to Palm sometime this weekend.

    I'll post the complete changelog later, but the big change is a brand new notification system has been implemented. It uses the standard webOS notifications but in a way that maintains the functionality of the old popup system. And for people who liked the popup alerts, you can configure the app to use them instead on the Preferences screen.

    I'll post a new video demonstrating the new notification system later this weekend.
  14.    #674  
    Version 1.1.1 has been submitted to the app catalog and should show up in a few days. Here is the complete changelog:

    - Implement a new default notification system using webOS-style, unintrusive notifications. To learn about the new notification, view the 'Alert Notifications' section on the app's help screen. You can revert back to the old popup notifications by setting the 'Notification Type' to 'Popup' on the Preferences screen.

    - Tapping on 'Video Tutorials & Guides' on the app's help screen will bring up a list of available video playlists to help familiarize yourself with the GeoStrings app.

    - Add link to Hedami Discussion Forum on PreCentral.net to app's help screen.

    - Add 1.5 and 2.5 miles/kms to the target radius drop-down list.

    - Fix bug where alert notification sound may not play until display is turned on.

    - Fix bug where app may not re-launch and check for alerts under certain conditions.

    - If the app receives an obviously false GPS positional reading, ignore it. This will ensure that the app will re-launch for alert checking in a timely manner.

    - Tweak the new positional reliability algorithm.

    - Fix formatting on the right side of the alert popup.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  15.    #675  
    I've posted a video previewing the new notification style:
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  16. #676  
    Live in the app catalog!!! Just updated. Great job with the new notification systems. Now my tough choice is to decide which one to use. Thanks Dan
  17.    #677  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Live in the app catalog!!! Just updated. Great job with the new notification systems. Now my tough choice is to decide which one to use. Thanks Dan
    Yeah the update is available for download by tapping the shopping cart icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen. But if you search for GeoStrings in the catalog, it still shows the old version. Hopefully in the next few hours the new version will show up in the search results.

    Yeah both notification types have their advantages. I talk about this in the new "Alert Notifications" video I posted. Speaking of videos, be sure to check out the new video section on the app's help screen. All the videos are listed and playable directly on the device. They're also all formatted for viewing full-screen on the device.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  18.    #678  
    Version 1.1.1 is now showing up in the app catalog search results. So if you haven't already, go check it out!
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  19. #679  
    I started using the trial a few days ago, and made the purchase on June 6 as part of webOSbuyanapp day and I just want to say I LOVE THIS APP!!! It's been working beautifully for me. I can barely remember to make lists, let alone take them with me AND into the store .. I am forever forgetting things to buy or errands to run ... this has helped immensely!!
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

    Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
  20.    #680  
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post
    I started using the trial a few days ago, and made the purchase on June 6 as part of webOSbuyanapp day and I just want to say I LOVE THIS APP!!! It's been working beautifully for me. I can barely remember to make lists, let alone take them with me AND into the store .. I am forever forgetting things to buy or errands to run ... this has helped immensely!!
    Thanks a lot! I'm glad you're finding it useful. I know I can't live without it these days. I use it for everything.

    And don't forget to rate the app in the catalog if you haven't done so already.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami

Posting Permissions