Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    First, let me start by thanking you for such a detailed and prompt reply. Awesome stuff!

Second, I won't requote us in the entirety since my initial post was large (sorry), but I'll respond to a couple of your questions:

I'm not sure why you'd want an alert to fire immediately at your current location. The alerts are meant to remind you of a task. If you're setting a GeoString, I assume you don't want to perform the task right then, correct?
    For testing. I am a new GeoStrings user. I want to see how it works. I imagine others might do the same. It was very easy in GeoTasks. I set an alert for the current location and saw what happens (i.e., what the notification looks like...and what functions it offers) immediately. Actually, I modified my initial post to clarify that point...but you are so diligent, you quoted me long before the edit! That is really the utility. Helping someone on day one...but you are correct, it has no practical value beyond that.

I'm not sure why you would ever need a location-based reminder with a time window on a single day. Can you tell me a good example of why you would need this feature?
    Probably could, but it may seem like a stretch. I was really just setting it for efficiency since I knew that I would be home no later than xx:xx PM...and really because I was confusing the pair of dates with the GeoTask "scanning schedule". The expiration with reminder is a nice feature now that I understand it.

I've discussed this before. Here is a summary of some of my previous discussions:
    Regarding the alert window, I apologize for coming in late...and thanks much for the patient reply. Seriously. Given that you have discussed all of this before, feel free to take the following with a grain of salt...but here are my (very late) thoughts:

The buttons seem obtuse to me. Yes, subjective. A boomerang? A clock? Sure, a user can get used to anything, but I tend to prefer explicit text on buttons when possible. Geotask has buttons that literally state "snooze by time" and "snooze by location". I can pretty much guess what they do without needing to read help. That app also has a "Dismiss" button...which, given that it uses the same language as the alarm clock, I know exactly what that does.

Looking at the GeoStrings reminder, I am not exactly sure how I would dismiss it. Clicking on it yields nothing (because I clicked in the big blank area)...so back to the help screen. BTW, awesome job on application help. Seriously. Such help often gets short shrift when folks build an app...and the excellent help text really shows your attention to detail.

BTW, I find the buttons to be rather small. The reminder takes half the screen, but the buttons are pea-sized. I get that you are leaving room for a list of alerts (I read the help ), but how often is that happening? More than one alert for the current location? Well, I suppose it could happen, but I think clicking and then seeing them would have been fine (as is the case for the email and messaging apps)...or having them fire independently (as with the alarm clock). This UI convention is unique to this one app...so most folks who are familiar with WebOS are not going to get it at first. Sure, your app, your choice...and the horse is way out of the barn. Just one man's opinion. Feel free to ignore it.

I wanted GeoStrings to respect the user's ringer choice. If the ringer on the phone is silent, then GeoStrings will vibrate an alert.

Probably a good decision. It is an alert...and most apps follow the slider. Other apps that have audio do not (e.g., music player), but this is an alert.

I suppose I like the idea of an app-level preference to override the slider for one reason -- my phone is always in vibrate. No problem, I hear it vibrate all the time. That said, I don't hear it vibrate when I am driving, but I don't care because I don't take calls (or respond to text messages) while I drive. That said, I do want to hear the location reminder when I am moving...even if I forget to move the slider. Heck, that is really the only valuable time to hear it (as demonstrated in point one above). A setting would allow the user to override the slider...although the factory default could be to follow it...but I understand your position.

Thanks again for the detailed and prompt response. That is awesome. I am going to go buy the app now even though I have 8 days left in my trial. It is definitely worth it.

cheers,
    Steve
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Absolutely, I understand the price fluctuations (frustrating as hell when you buy something priced in $, work out the price in and then by the time you get charged on your card for it it's quite different!) - 1.99 just "feels," an adequate pricepoint to a UK user, so thought you might appreciate the input.

Either way, congrats on the international release! It's been a long time coming
    BTW, I don't mean to be annoying by continuing to bring up what GeoTasks does, but I do find some of the conventions and the contrast between the two apps to be interesting.

If you do ever go with text on buttons, Dismiss is clearly a WebOS thing, so you could certainly use that. Using the other two text strings, however, would be somewhat of a ripoff...even though you have the same two functions...so I propose these instead - GeoSnooze and TimeSnooze

Okay, I'll go away now.
  4.    #644  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    For testing. I am a new GeoStrings user. I want to see how it works. I imagine others might do the same.
    That's why I created the

I designed the app to be functional, not to be a tech demo. I don't want people downloading it to try it out and then tossing it. I want people to continue to use it every single day. Having an alert pop up immediately after saving a reminder would not help to achieve that goal.

The buttons seem obtuse to me. Yes, subjective. A boomerang? A clock? Sure, a user can get used to anything, but I tend to prefer explicit text on buttons when possible. Geotask has buttons that literally state "snooze by time" and "snooze by location". I can pretty much guess what they do without needing to read help. That app also has a "Dismiss" button...which, given that it uses the same language as the alarm clock, I know exactly what that does.
    I haven't tried out Geotasks, so I'm assume these buttons you're referring to are on a dashboard notification or a popup. I wanted the GeoStrings popup to list in one view all of your in-alert tasks so when you're driving and get near your tasks, you'll see what's in alert without having to interact with the phone.

Since the task list on the popup takes up a lot of room, I used a series of icons for the available tasks. But yes, it would be nice if I could somehow make them a bit bigger. I'll definitely think about this some more.

I chose a boomerang because when you throw one, it leaves your general area and then comes back. So to receive a new alert, you have to leave the area and then come back. And the alarm clock represents a time-based snooze. And of course you have the "?" icon that displays a description of all the functions on the alert popup.

Looking at the GeoStrings reminder, I am not exactly sure how I would dismiss it. Clicking on it yields nothing (because I clicked in the big blank area)...so back to the help screen.
    You can dismiss the popup just like any other popup in webOS. You swipe backwards in the gesture area. And to dismiss a single task, swipe the individual list item off the screen (this deactivates the task).

This is covered in both the video that I linked above and the "?" help area.

BTW, awesome job on application help. Seriously. Such help often gets short shrift when folks build an app...and the excellent help text really shows your attention to detail.
    Thanks... I wanted to include a help system because I know that what may be intuitive and natural to one person, may not be to another.

BTW, I find the buttons to be rather small. The reminder takes half the screen, but the buttons are pea-sized. I get that you are leaving room for a list of alerts (I read the help ), but how often is that happening?
    Does it happen often? For you maybe not, but for another person maybe it does. For instance yesterday I had 3 tasks set at home and it was very handy to have them all show up on the alert popup.

That said, I don't hear it vibrate when I am driving, but I don't care because I don't take calls (or respond to text messages) while I drive. That said, I do want to hear the location reminder when I am moving...
    For this exact situation I added an option on the preferences screen to allow for repeating alerts (at the interval you choose). So I have mine set up to sound off an alert (or vibrate if the phone is in silent mode) every 10 seconds. The repeating alert is designed so that you'll notice it. Set it to 5 or 10 seconds and try it out. I bet you'll notice the alert when your phone is vibrating almost constantly!

Thanks again for the detailed and prompt response. That is awesome. I am going to go buy the app now even though I have 8 days left in my trial. It is definitely worth it.
    Thanks a lot...and please keep the suggestions coming. Most of the features I've added came from suggestions from the people using the app (either in this thread or sent to me in emails).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  5.    #645  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Absolutely, I understand the price fluctuations (frustrating as hell when you buy something priced in $, work out the price in and then by the time you get charged on your card for it it's quite different!) - 1.99 just "feels," an adequate pricepoint to a UK user, so thought you might appreciate the input.

Either way, congrats on the international release! It's been a long time coming
    No I think you're correct. That's probably where I'll land up at for the UK price.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

6.    #646  
    BTW, I don't mean to be annoying by continuing to bring up what GeoTasks does, but I do find some of the conventions and the contrast between the two apps to be interesting.

If you do ever go with text on buttons, Dismiss is clearly a WebOS thing, so you could certainly use that. Using the other two text strings, however, would be somewhat of a ripoff...even though you have the same two functions...so I propose these instead - GeoSnooze and TimeSnooze

Okay, I'll go away now.
    I'll probably be sticking with graphical icons. First of all, I think graphical buttons are more visually appealing then ordinary text. And second, I think the icons become second nature to people once they use the app.

7.    #647  
    GeoStrings version 1.1.0 has been submitted to the catalog. It should be available to download in a few days.

I've uploaded a new video that will be included in the catalog to demonstrate the app. You can view it here:

Here's the complete list of new features and fixes in 1.1.0:

- The trial version of the app will be reset on the day 1.1.0 hits the catalog. To renew the trial period, delete and re-install the app.

- You can now add locations via map input by selecting the map icon (which replaces the old bullseye icon).

- On the GeoString list screen, you can tap the new map icon at the bottom of the screen to view all the currently listed GeoStrings on a single map.

- When viewing the results of a business search, you can tap the map icon at the top of the screen to view all the results on a single map. You can select or de-select locations from the results list or the map.

- Sort business search results by distance to the current location. The locations closest to your current position will appear at the top of the list.

- Increase the odds of obtaining a more accurate positional fix. This is a workaround for an issue introduced in webOS 1.4.0.

- Fix bug where contacts added to Palm Profile cannot be added as locations.

- Remove the transparency from the date/time fields so they're easier to see when selecting dates and times.

- Reposition the state/country field below the city field on the 'Business Search' and 'Address Input' screens. Also modify the font color of these fields to make them more readable.

- Make the tappable area of the alert popup icons larger (48x48 instead of 32x32).

- On the trial version's upgrade screen, when launching the full version in the app catalog, do not open up a blank web browser card.

- Fix issue where custom wallpaper is displayed when tapping on a GeoString on the alert popup.

- Fix issue where tapping on the 'Add/Edit GeoString' titlebar after scrolling down would not display the sub-menu.

- Fix issue where city and state would be cleared out after the user manually entered them in if initially the city and state could not be retrieved automatically for some reason.

- Fix issue where city field on 'business search' screen could not be tapped after the first search.

- Fix issue where the whole GeoStrings screen (not just the list) could scroll.

- Fix issue where if the number of saved locations exceeded 100, an error would be generated when viewing the location history list.

- When a location that is already present in the history is added, instead of raising an error, update the title based upon the new information just entered in.

- If an internet connection is not available when performing a business or address search, indicate this to the user instead of giving a generic 'cannot retrieve address' error.

- Make the font of the changelog a little bit smaller so more text can fit on a single page.

- Add a splash screen that's displayed when the app loads (NOTE: This will only appear after your phone is rebooted).

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I am currently evaluating the free trial to see if I'll use this app or not but I wanted to say that this is the most professional looking and feeling app I have seen on my Pre. The video help, the question mark baloons, the way it feels are all very polished and professional.

You set the bar high for others. Well done.
  9.    #649  
    Quote Originally Posted by circuitjc View Post
    I am currently evaluating the free trial to see if I'll use this app or not but I wanted to say that this is the most professional looking and feeling app I have seen on my Pre. The video help, the question mark baloons, the way it feels are all very polished and professional.

You set the bar high for others. Well done.
    Thanks a lot! Feel free to share this with others by leaving a review for the trial app (or the full version if you decide to buy it).

And be sure to check out version 1.1.0 when it comes out in a few days.

Hi Dan. I've now spent enough time with GeoStrings to make one strong request:
    Some sort of quick add system. Could we have some sort of short cut system for creating new tasks using only the description field?

I'm imagining something like this:
    When I type "Take out trash @home" GeoStrings will know the @symbol means a location that I would have already assigned a nickname in the favorite locations screen. Also, each favorite location would have a default radius. Since I'm at home for long periods, I always default to .1 miles. Costco or the grocery store might default to .5 miles because they're drive by tasks. I guess you could go all out and add @Saturday @6:30pm, Etc, etc. But just the location and default radius would take care of 90% of my cases.

Great app! I use it regularly and it's been a tremendous value.
  11.    #651  
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeTye View Post
    Hi Dan. I've now spent enough time with GeoStrings to make one strong request:
    Some sort of quick add system. Could we have some sort of short cut system for creating new tasks using only the description field?

I'm imagining something like this:
    When I type "Take out trash @home" GeoStrings will know the @symbol means a location that I would have already assigned a nickname in the favorite locations screen. Also, each favorite location would have a default radius. Since I'm at home for long periods, I always default to .1 miles. Costco or the grocery store might default to .5 miles because they're drive by tasks. I guess you could go all out and add @Saturday @6:30pm, Etc, etc. But just the location and default radius would take care of 90% of my cases.

Great app! I use it regularly and it's been a tremendous value.
    On the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen, you have a star icon that when tapped brings up the Favorite Locations screen. So to add a favorite location to a GeoString, it takes only 2 taps (1 to bring up the Favorite Locations screen and 1 to select the location). I just can't imagine saving too much time by using your shortcut method vs. 2 taps. And if the favorite location has a longer name or if the user does a typo, it makes your method take even longer.

Also another option you have it to save your common GeoStrings as favorites (the option is available at the bottom of the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen). Then all you have to do is bring up your favorite GeoStrings (when you load the app, tap "Active GeoStrings" at the top of the screen to bring up the menu), then edit the favorite GeoString, re-activate it, and then save it.

In regards to saving a default radius per location, I've discussed this before and don't believe it's a good idea. The main reason is that a GeoString task can have multiple locations saved to it. So there's no good way to determine which default radius to use. And as I discussed previously in this thread, I believe that in most cases a target radius is associated with a task, not a location.

hi. baught ur app and love it. whaen does the new version come out, CANT WAIT
    :-)
  13.    #653  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    hi. baught ur app and love it. whaen does the new version come out, CANT WAIT
    :-)
    I submitted it last week; however I found a problem that I think needs to be fixed so I've pulled my submission. I don't know for sure if the new release is causing the problem; however I don't want to risk it until I do some more research.

But hopefully I'll get it re-submitted by tomorrow.

I second the motion on having the favorite locations save with a specific radius.

when I use most of my favorites I end up doing 3 clicks (4 actually) because I have to set a different radius than the default. (plus it's kind of irritating to have to scroll down to radius when there is so much unused space for it)

geostrings is still my favorite app though. it's the killer app for the webos. palms new ad company should highlight this IMO
  15.    #655  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    I second the motion on having the favorite locations save with a specific radius.

when I use most of my favorites I end up doing 3 clicks (4 actually) because I have to set a different radius than the default. (plus it's kind of irritating to have to scroll down to radius when there is so much unused space for it)

geostrings is still my favorite app though. it's the killer app for the webos. palms new ad company should highlight this IMO
    I'll definitely think about it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Currently $2.99 = 1.95678.
    I think 1.99 is a more appropriate price for the app. 2.49 seems just a little bit too high
    Trust me, it's not too high. GeoStrings is worth far more than the price, whatever Dan ends up charging.

But don't get too carried away, Dan. You should at least keep the price below the price of the phone.
    ...I get that you are leaving room for a list of alerts (I read the help ), but how often is that happening? More than one alert for the current location? Well, I suppose it could happen....
    For me it happens all the time. The son texts you during the day, the wife sends email then calls two hours later with something else, you decide that something you saw on the Web at lunch needs more detailed reading..... Once you start really using GeoStrings you'll discover that there are all sorts of applications that you never thought of.

The biggest problem with GeoStrings is that the dang thing is addictive. I'm wearing out the part of my screen where the "favorites" star is on the Add/Edit screen.
  18.    #658  
    As I mentioned yesterday, I put in a rejection request for version 1.1.0 because I found an issue that I haven't proven whether or not it was caused by 1.1.0. The app was in a "Rejection Pending" state yesterday; however today the reviewers decided to ignore my rejection request and published version 1.1.0.

The issue I found over the weekend related to alarms not firing. This has happened twice (once over the weekend and once yesterday). I'm in the process of investigating what happened. The one from yesterday is definitely not caused by version 1.1.0. The GPS service indicated my position was in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and therefore my algorithms for firing the next alarm were messed up. I'll workaround this webOS issue in version 1.1.1. However I still have not proven whether the issue over the weekend was caused by version 1.1.0 or if it could happen with previous versions. So I'll leave it up to you guys whether you want to upgrade or not. If you do, the new version is available.

I have sent an email to the Palm folks and asked them to revert back to 1.0.7 just to be safe. So hopefully that will happen sometime today. And sometime this week I'll submit version 1.1.1 to fix the issues I've seen. I'm very busy at work this week and will probably need to stay late most of the week so I may not get to this until the weekend.

19.    #659  
    Now that the new versions are already available in the app catalog, and I haven't heard back from the Palm folks, I'm going to email them and ask them to keep the new versions for now. I still haven't proven that the issue I saw over the weekend was due to version 1.1.0 and I don't want to confuse people who may have seen the new version in the catalog with a rollback to version 1.0.7.

So for now, version 1.1.0 is the latest and greatest version. I've run several tests since the weekend and it appears it's working fine. I'll have to dig in and find the cause of the anomaly from the weekend and release a quick version 1.1.1 to fix it.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    When I upgraded to the new version, I lost my stored geostrings; not sure why. Was there anything I could/should have done to avoid that? More generally, is there a way to sync the geostring list with the desktop or cloud?

Thanks, by the way, for a spectacular program; I use this app contantly.