Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 222728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    You can now select locations via map input. Tap anywhere on the map to add a new location. You can add multiple locations at once and even move the push-pins around by dragging them to a new position. Tapping on the little person icon will save a location at your current position.
    That is awesome Dan, great work. Not to go too far off topic, but this just proves how pathetic Google's efforts on Google Maps on webOS have been. Why can't I pick my destination in Google Maps by clicking on the map??? /rant
  2.    #622  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I use this every day, completely satisfied at what it already does, then you deliver more functionality like this, and I think, "I can't believe I only paid $2 or $3 for this." Thanks for the continued development, these additional features will immediately be useful.
    I'm always looking to improve the product even though I think GeoStrings in its current form is feature-rich and quite powerful. But I have more ideas of how to make it even better and will keep working on them.

I always intended on including mapping features in the app. Mapping was included in my original pre-release design; however there were a few technical obstacles I had to overcome to fully implement it. Instead of delaying the release, I decided to pull the mapping feature and implement it at a later date. And now finally it's back in there and working perfectly.

And I think it'll be very handy for people. Today I used it to add a location at an intersection and it was quicker than having to type it out. And I have a few more ideas on how to use mapping in the app. They may not make it into the 1.1.0 release; however they'll probably be implemented in the next release.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  3.    #623  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That is awesome Dan, great work. Not to go too far off topic, but this just proves how pathetic Google's efforts on Google Maps on webOS have been. Why can't I pick my destination in Google Maps by clicking on the map??? /rant
    It would be nice if the webOS version of Google Maps was a bit more powerful. And it really wouldn't take them much time to do it. I was able to create the new mapping features in a few days of my spare time. I'm sure a dedicated Google team could bang something much more powerful out in the same amount of time.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

hi. any ETA for new version?
    thanks for a great buy
    Last edited by ericizzy1; 03/30/2010 at 11:08 AM.
  5.    #625  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    hi. any ETA for new version?
    thanks for a great buy
    The new version is ready to release actually; however one component of it is reliant on a new feature/fix found in webOS 1.4.1 (see this post for more details: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2309522).

However I'm not sure when webOS 1.4.1 will be released (and even if I did, I couldn't reveal it being under an NDA). So at the end of the week if we don't receive webOS 1.4.1, I may decide to remove the 1.4.1-dependent fix and release version 1.1.0 without it. Then when webOS 1.4.1 is released, I'll make a quick 1.1.1 release.

Hey Dan...just downloaded your app and am giving it a whirl. As I posted in the GeoTasks thread, I was writing something similar months ago, but abandoned the project when I saw the progress of others. Great job! I am really enjoying comparing and contrasting the two apps...and will probably just buy both. You both deserve the cash.

Also as I mentioned in the GeoTasks thread, I have a suggestion for a feature that I was adding to mine -- add an optional "dwell delay" for triggering the reminder. e.g., Allow me to specify that I need to be somewhere for a configurable amount of time (e.g. 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour) before I get the reminder. It would be optional...and the default would be zero delay for the notification.

Why? Well, at least two reasons:

1) There are times when I don't want a reminder unless I am actually going to the place. Even at 500 feet/0.1 mile, I can get a reminder when I am driving by the grocery store...and sometimes I only want the reminder (for example, to "get milk") if I am going there...not if I am just driving by. Other times, I do want the drive by alert. Just depends on how important the reminder is when I configure it.

2) There are many times that I don't know when I will get to some place...so I love the reminder...but often I actually don't want the reminder immediately when I am driving or walking up to it. Instead, I'd prefer to get it after I have been there for awhile. For example, if I need to do something when I get home, I would often rather receive the reminder after I have gotten in to the house, put my things away, said hello to the family, and perhaps even had dinner....not when I am in my car down the block from my house.

Yeah, not huge issues, but I would find it useful if you have time and can figure out a non-obtrusive way to integrate that optional dwell capability without making things confusing for folks who wouldn't use it.

Thanks again!

cheers,
    Steve
  7.    #627  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Also as I mentioned in the GeoTasks thread, I have a suggestion for a feature that I was adding to mine -- add an optional "dwell delay" for triggering the reminder. e.g., Allow me to specify that I need to be somewhere for a configurable amount of time (e.g. 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour) before I get the reminder. It would be optional...and the default would be zero delay for the notification.
    I have this on my to-do list actually. The situation I relate to the most is when you want to be reminded of a task when you reach a destination (like your home). So right now I get the reminder as I'm driving into the neighborhood. So what I do is I set a snooze time of 5 or 10 minutes (or sometimes longer) and then I'll get reminded again after I get situated at home.

This method works; however as you mention it would be better to have a way to do this automatically. So yeah I definitely plan on adding this feature.

I have this on my to-do list actually. The situation I relate to the most is when you want to be reminded of a task when you reach a destination (like your home). So right now I get the reminder as I'm driving into the neighborhood. So what I do is I set a snooze time of 5 or 10 minutes (or sometimes longer) and then I'll get reminded again after I get situated at home.

This method works; however as you mention it would be better to have a way to do this automatically. So yeah I definitely plan on adding this feature.
    Absolutely awesome. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Dan - just looked at the 1.1.0 preview. This new feature solves my problem of adding locations that are in remote places that don't have an address and that I won't be visiting just yet but would like to setup some geostrings for. Beats hacking on the MySQL database - which I've done
  10.    #630  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Dan - just looked at the 1.1.0 preview. This new feature solves my problem of adding locations that are in remote places that don't have an address and that I won't be visiting just yet but would like to setup some geostrings for. Beats hacking on the MySQL database - which I've done
    Yes I imagine this will be much easier.

11.    #631  
    I wanted to give you guys an update on the next version of GeoStrings (1.1.0) and some background on webOS 1.4.1.1 now that the NDA is lifted.

As I mentioned previously, webOS 1.4.0 introduced (without warning to developers) a 15-second timeout limit for background tasks. To workaround this issue, I implemented some changes in version 1.0.7 to ensure that most people would not be adversely affected (at least not too drastically). However it would result in less-than-optimal positional results in some cases.

Palm announced they would be increasing the background timeout from 15 seconds to 60 seconds in webOS 1.4.1. This wasn't a perfect fix; however it would help the situation a bit. I prepared a new version of GeoStrings (1.1.0) to take advantage of this extra time.

A little while ago the developers received Release Candidate 1 of webOS 1.4.1 and in those release notes it stated that the background timeout was increased to 60 seconds. I tested this version and found that was not true. Background apps were still being killed after 15 seconds.

I posted this in the beta forum and a Palm rep responded back indicating that by some type of error this fix did not make it into the first Release Candidate, but a new version would be made available to us "soon". This was on 3/25.

We never received the new Release Candidate or any other communication from Palm. The next thing we knew, webOS 1.4.1 was released today. And just like what happened with webOS 1.4.0, it was without any warning to the developers. After I saw the announcement on Precentral, I posted a thread asking what happened. A Palm rep responded that the final release version of 1.4.1 is identical to the Release Candidate we tested (i.e. it does not have the background fix). The reason they released it as is (with bugs) is because it was necessary for the international app catalog rollout.

However 1.4.1.1 was also released today (on Sprint only) and it does supposedly have the background fix. Palm has announced that other carriers (Verizon, etc.) would not receive a fixed version of 1.4.x for at least several weeks. So as a result I cannot release the fix for the issue since it would require me to list an OS version of at least 1.4.1.1. This would result in my app being pulled from all app catalogs except Sprint's.

So I'm now working on a new workaround that will function in the 15-second time window. I'm optimistic that it will help the situation out; however having the 60-second timeout would be better (and having no timeout limit would be best).

Once a new version of 1.4.x is released to the other carriers, I will release a new version that will take advantage of the extra time.

But for now the plan is to release 1.1.0 with the new workaround. I'll be testing it tonight and tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll submit it tomorrow. If you are having issues with 1.0.7 (and you followed the troubleshooting guide in the FAQ), then once 1.1.0 is released, let me know how that works for you.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Really appreciate the nitty gritty details on the 1.4.x.x process Dan. Very interesting to read. Palm still does stuff that doesn't make sense. I was hoping they would be getting smarter but it still seems lots of little things slip through the cracks. Gotta wonder who tests things - sigh
  13.    #633  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Really appreciate the nitty gritty details on the 1.4.x.x process Dan. Very interesting to read. Palm still does stuff that doesn't make sense. I was hoping they would be getting smarter but it still seems lots of little things slip through the cracks. Gotta wonder who tests things - sigh
    With the past two releases (1.4.0 and 1.4.1), their big problem is trying to hit their promised release dates. 1.4.0 was supposed to be out by the end of February, so they released it on the last day of February even though it had a bunch of bugs. And the same thing happened with 1.4.1. The international rollout of paid apps in the catalog was promised in March so they had to release 1.4.1 even though it had issues.

I'm not sure where their process is breaking down, but their development team really needs to evaluate what went wrong in these past two releases and fix it before it happens again.

14.    #634  
    Now that GeoStrings has been submitted to the international app catalogs, can you guys let me know if you see the paid version of GeoStrings in your version of the catalog? I saw it was showing up in the U.S. catalog's most recent list; however I still want to verify it's available in the other catalogs.

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Now that GeoStrings has been submitted to the international app catalogs, can you guys let me know if you see the paid version of GeoStrings in your version of the catalog? I saw it was showing up in the U.S. catalog's most recent list; however I still want to verify it's available in the other catalogs.
    Shows up (v1.0.7) in the o2 UK App Catalog here for 2.49. Your Free Trial version is also here.

Isn't the app $2.99 in the US though? 2.49 seems kind of high if so.
  16.    #636  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Shows up (v1.0.7) in the o2 UK App Catalog here for 2.49. Your Free Trial version is also here.

Isn't the app $2.99 in the US though? 2.49 seems kind of high if so.
    Thanks for letting me know it's in there.

When I converted the dollars to pounds, it came out to some weird in-between number, so I just rounded up to 2.49. When I upload version 1.1.0, I'll re-evaluate the prices.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 04/01/2010 at 07:40 AM.

I have been testing both GeoStrings and GeoTasks recently. GeoStrings really has an amazing array of features...far more than GeoTasks it seems...but I have noted several issues for your consideration:

1) Set an alert for the current location. As soon as I do so, GeoTasks fires off an alert...while GeoStrings does nothing. I have to leave to location and then return to get the alert in GeoStrings. Yes, a silly test, but I found GeoStrings behavior to be somewhat odd...since I was there. Actually, I wanted to do this so I could test and see what the alerts look like....so there was a method to my madness.

2) Set a one time alert with a time window on a single day - e.g., April 1st between 5pm and 7pm. I assume setting the time window also helps the battery life...so I tried these settings...and was told that the expiration date must be after start the date. Really? How would I set up an alert that I wanted to just be active on one day without needing to set it to auto-delete after alerting? I think a reasonable business rule would be that the expiration date cannot be before the start date, but the "same as" seems reasonable...unless I am missing something.

3) Alert window appears fairly non-standard for a WebOS alert...and it is huge - half the screen. That said, I see that the size provides room for buttons, but if that's the goal, I would have preferred real buttons...like the alarm clock. Big and clear in purpose...with text that reflects their purpose....like a big "GeoSnooze" button.

4) Would be nice to have an option to sound an audible alert even if the phone is in vibrate mode...as an app-level preference. Geotasks actually seems to ignore the slider and *always* play an alert, and I will say that I prefer what GeoStrings is doing (following the slider), but an option might be nice. Not the biggest issue. In fact, none of these really are. Great app! Thanks!

cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 04/01/2010 at 12:31 PM.
  18.    #638  
    1) Set an alert for the current location. As soon as I do so, GeoTasks fires off an alert...while GeoStrings does nothing. I have to leave to location and then return to get the alert in GeoStrings. Yes, a silly test, but I found GeoStrings behavior to be somewhat odd...since I was there.
    I'm not sure why you'd want an alert to fire immediately at your current location. The alerts are meant to remind you of a task. If you're setting a GeoString, I assume you don't want to perform the task right then, correct?

But regardless of that, no it's not actually set up to only alert when you leave and then re-enter the area. Essentially what it does is check for alert conditions periodically based upon several factors including your current speed and distance to your locations, among other things.

So when you'd receive the alert depends on several factors including when the last alert check was completed, how long you've been sitting at the location, your current speed (if you are moving), the distance to your locations, and your GeoString advanced settings (start date, start/end time, etc.).

So basically you will get an alert if you sit at the location; however it may take a few minutes. And in my opinion this is the way it should be. If I'm setting an alert for my current location then I'm either leaving the location and want to be reminded when I come back or I want to be reminded later that day. If so, I would use the time filtering so that I wouldn't get a false alert right away.

2) Set a one time alert with a time window on a single day - e.g., April 1st between 5pm and 7pm. I assume setting the time window also helps the battery life...so I tired these settings...and was told that the expiration date must be after start the date. Really? How would I set up an alert that I wanted to just be active on one day without needing to set it to auto-delete after alerting? I think a reasonable business rule would be that the expiration date cannot be before the start date, but the "same as" seems reasonable...unless I am missing something.
    This is not what the expiration date is used for. Once you reach the expiration date, even if you never arrived at the location(s), you'll get a reminder popup.

While you can't set a one-day alert, you can set a start date of April 1st and a time window of 5-7pm. And any day after April 1st it'll remind you if you drive near your specified locations.

I'm not sure why you would ever need a location-based reminder with a time window on a single day. Can you tell me a good example of why you would need this feature?

3) Alert window appears fairly non-standard for a WebOS alert...and it is huge - half the screen. That said, I see that the size provides room for buttons, but if that's the goal, I would have preferred real buttons...like the alarm clock. Big and clear in purpose...with text that reflects their purpose.
    I've discussed this before. Here is a summary of some of my previous discussions:

1) There are other examples in webOS of alerts using a popup window vs. a notification (a calendar meeting event for example). I chose this type of notification specifically because I believe that a GeoString notification is something that needs immediate attention since in most cases you're in the middle of driving by the location and need to make a decision then and there. And in some cases you may have several tasks go into alert at once. Having to tap twice to display them doesn't seem too efficient.

2) I do plan on adding a dashboard notification that will be displayed when the popup is dismissed. Although I haven't decided under what conditions it would be displayed. And I may give the user the option to display the dashboard notification by default (vs. the popup) since a few other people have asked about this.

4) Would be nice to have an option to sound an audible alert even if the phone is in vibrate mode. Geotasks actually seems to ignore the slider and *always* play an alert, and I will say that I prefer what GeoStrings is doing (following the slider), but an option might be nice. Not the biggest issue. In fact, none of these really are. Great app! Thanks!
    Again I chose the current behavior intentionally. I wanted GeoStrings to respect the user's ringer choice. If the ringer on the phone is silent, then GeoStrings will vibrate an alert.

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Thanks for letting me know it's in there.

When I converted the dollars to pounds, it came out to some weird in-between number, so I just rounded up to 2.49. When I upload version 1.1.0, I'll re-evaluate the prices.
    Currently $2.99 = 1.95678.
    I think 1.99 is a more appropriate price for the app. 2.49 seems just a little bit too high
  20.    #640  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Currently $2.99 = 1.95678.
    I think 1.99 is a more appropriate price for the app. 2.49 seems just a little bit too high
    However yesterday the price was quite different. I think currency conversions can fluctuate pretty drastically day-to-day so there will never be a price-point that exactly matches the U.S. price.

I can't submit a price update today because the smallest change in your app prompts a new review. And reviews lately have been taking a long time (other than yesterday since they were prepared for the international launch).

So I'll make the update when I submit version 1.1.0. What it will be, I have no idea.