Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #581  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I might be pushing it here, but is there a way to link to these videos (or just your youtube channel) from within the app -- doesn't have to be front-and-center of course, maybe in the help or 'about' pages with an API call to the Youtube app.. (I know --- or at least I think I know --- that I can just go to search WebOS Youtube and find them, I was just thinking it would be cool to lauch right from within the app -- it'd be like having video help. I think you'd be the first to pull off something like that.
    You can already access my YouTube channel by tapping on the "Video Tutorials & Guides" button on the app's help screen.

I thought about linking to each individual video; however I considered the possibility that the video links may change, especially when I upload an updated version of the video. Of course I could just create a web service to provide the app the most up-to-date links. So maybe I'll do something like that. It would be cool to actually swipe through a list of my videos from within the app.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    You can already access my YouTube channel by tapping on the "Video Tutorials & Guides" button on the app's help screen.

I thought about linking to each individual video; however I considered the possibility that the video links may change, especially when I upload an updated version of the video. Of course I could just create a web service to provide the app the most up-to-date links. So maybe I'll do something like that. It would be cool to actually swipe through a list of my videos from within the app.
    See I totally didn't realize that link was even there, so thanks for pointing it out. I guess I should explore a little more.

Beyond that, reviewing the 'current' relevant videos and clicking through to open the Videos (or YouTube) app would be gravy!!
  3.    #583  
    GeoStrings has been featured in the app catalog! Very exciting! Hopefully they'll approve 1.0.7 for release today since that's the version I'd really like people to see.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

That's a great example for a use of a GeoString. Another scenario I'm thinking of is almost the opposite of your idea. It's for when you're leaving the house to go somewhere (like dinner) and as you're driving off you want to remember to do something when you get back home. I've had this happen to me several times and I usually always forget.
    To this end, how about an "exit" option? Instead of alerting you when your within xyz distance, it alerts you when you move beyond xyz distance. In other words, the app detects when you've reached a target spot, then alerts you when you leave that target.

Don't know how "doable" that is, but is definitely an option I could use.
    Can you give me an example of a use for this type of feature? I just can't think of one off the top of my head.
    There are about 3 things I typically forget when I'm going to work. However, I don't always leave for work at the same time, so your timer idea doesn't work. One of the three things is my cell phone, so that won't work either; however, it would be nice for my Pre to send a reminder when I'm 1/4 mile away from the house that to look for my BT and my laptop.

I can think of other users:
    • Check for your gymbag when leaving the gym
    • Turn your cell phone back on when leaving church or the movies
    • Don't forget the baby when leaving the laundromat (OK, that was my first wife, and a long time ago, but you get the idea).
  6.    #586  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    To this end, how about an "exit" option? Instead of alerting you when your within xyz distance, it alerts you when you move beyond xyz distance. In other words, the app detects when you've reached a target spot, then alerts you when you leave that target.

Don't know how "doable" that is, but is definitely an option I could use.
    I agree that this would be a useful feature and it's on my to-do list. But in the meantime what I do to simulate it is to set a location near the place I'll be leaving. For an example of this, check out my .
    Last edited by DanPLC; 03/05/2010 at 04:29 PM.
  7.    #587  
    Don't forget the baby when leaving the laundromat (OK, that was my first wife, and a long time ago, but you get the idea).
    All I can say to this is "Wow".
    I'm curious, what do you think is a reasonable price?
    I'm telling you now, $3 is not "reasonable". That's too cheap. Sorry folks, but dat'sdatroof.
    I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do in this regard, but I do plan on adding some type of standard notification support. However it's still probably going to display the popup by default. However when the user removes the popup, I'll probably have a notification at the bottom that they'll be able to access.

I've previously discussed my reasoning behind my choice of using a popup vs. a standard notification, but basically it all boils down to needing the screen real estate for the many options I provide the user in reaction to an alert (or multiple alerts). Having a smaller notification come up would require the user to tap it to display the larger popup. In my opinion, this is an unnecessary extra step.

The other reason is that I intentionally wanted people's attention drawn to the alert more so than most notifications. It's more crucial that people act on a GeoString notification than most other ones (like emails or text messages) because it's based upon a location and the person is on the move. They need to decide right there and then whether to complete the task. The same is not true for an email or text message.
    How about a toggle switch for this? That way, the pop-up is there (even by default), but for those of use that always check our messages, and prefer the Pre's small-footprint alerts, we could turn off the pop-ups.
    \
    This brings ups a good topic of discussion. I was wondering if people could post the audio files they're using for their GeoStrings alert. It would be a good way for people to find cool sounds they could use.
    I haven't created any yet for GeoStrings, but I already know I'm going to. Instead of sending some sounds directly, I'm going to post this link:
    AT&T Labs Natural VoicesŪ Text-to-Speech Demo
    This web site produces some really cool computer generated announcements. I have the patch that allows custom contact-based test alerts, and everyone around me is impressed when my phone "says" "Message from Gini" when she texts me.
    Play with this some, you'll find some nice uses for it for custom alerts.
  11.    #591  
    How about a toggle switch for this? That way, the pop-up is there (even by default), but for those of use that always check our messages, and prefer the Pre's small-footprint alerts, we could turn off the pop-ups.
    \
    I'm sure that's probably what I'll do. If the option is set, then a smaller notification will be displayed at first, then when tapped the popup will appear.

I'll probably also display the smaller notification if the user swipes backwards in the gesture area (to dismiss the popup) or if they tap one of the "in alert" GeoStrings to view its details.

My only concern with the smaller notifications is what to do if the user swipes it off the screen. I think people would expect it to deactivate the "in alert" GeoStrings; however some people might expect it to simply remove the notification without affecting the task statuses. So I have to put some thought into how best to implement it.

12.    #592  
    I haven't created any yet for GeoStrings, but I already know I'm going to. Instead of sending some sounds directly, I'm going to post this link:
    AT&T Labs Natural VoicesŪ Text-to-Speech Demo
    This web site produces some really cool computer generated announcements. I have the patch that allows custom contact-based test alerts, and everyone around me is impressed when my phone "says" "Message from Gini" when she texts me.
    Play with this some, you'll find some nice uses for it for custom alerts.
    That's pretty cool...I'll have to try that out. I've been using a custom alert that I found on zedge.net. They have a huge selection of free ringtones.

13.    #593  
    Version 1.0.7 has been published and is available in the app catalog.

It includes the following new features and fixes:

- The trial period for all users running the trial version has been reset (on 3/8/10)! To restart the trial period, you'll need to uninstall the trial app and then re-install it. People in the U.S. will have a 10-day trial period. People outside of the U.S. will have a 30-day trial period.

- Increase screen transition speed dramatically

- If a note is saved to a GeoString, a note icon will appear next to the GeoString on the alert popup. When tapped, the note will appear within the alert popup.

- Add the ability to toggle the font color on the alert popups between white and black so both dark and light wallpapers can be used.

- Implement a more intelligent algorithm to increase the reliability of the positional readings (in particular under webOS 1.4).

I've also submitted a new video that will be displayed in the app catalog. It provides an overview of many of the features in the app within a single video. You can check it out here: .
    Last edited by DanPLC; 03/08/2010 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Confirmed that version 1.0.7 is now available in the app catalog

Version 1.0.7 has been published and is available in the app catalog.
    It took long enough I been checking the app catalog for the past 2 days. Palm do take they time in pushing updates.
  15.    #595  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    It took long enough I been checking the app catalog for the past 2 days. Palm do take they time in pushing updates.
    Yeah based upon their previous review times, I was expecting it to be released on Friday. So now I had to wait until today to submit the new video link for the app catalog. I'm hoping it gets approved prior to the app being removed from the Featured list since I think the new video will help demonstrate the app more effectively.

My only concern with the smaller notifications is what to do if the user swipes it off the screen. I think people would expect it to deactivate the "in alert" GeoStrings; however some people might expect it to simply remove the notification without affecting the task statuses. So I have to put some thought into how best to implement it.
    I'd hope that everyone would expect the same behavior as the email & todo notifications. Swiping those off certainly doesn't delete the email or task....

How about treating a swipe of the small notification as a snooze with whatever is set as the default time?
  17.    #597  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    I'd hope that everyone would expect the same behavior as the email & todo notifications. Swiping those off certainly doesn't delete the email or task....
    The current swiping action on the alert popup will either deactivate a GeoString or delete it (if the person chose that option at the bottom of the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen). So it might seem logical for them that swiping the notification off the screen deactivates (or deletes) the alert.

Then again they may think it should act like an email notification and simply remove the notification from the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    How about treating a swipe of the small notification as a snooze with whatever is set as the default time?
    That's a possibility. But then again email notifications don't pop back up after a certain amount of time, so I'm not sure everyone would want this type of notification to do so.

So I'm not sure what to do...I'll have to think about it some more.

Dan,

Has any reported this issue? Since the upgrade to 1.4, Geostrings (and other apps) do not ask me to turn on Location Services if they are off.

BTW, love the app, and your dedication to keeping it fresh, updated, and incorporating user requests without compromising your vision. Keep up the great work.
  19.    #599  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbytehead View Post
    Dan,

Has any reported this issue? Since the upgrade to 1.4, Geostrings (and other apps) do not ask me to turn on Location Services if they are off.

BTW, love the app, and your dedication to keeping it fresh, updated, and incorporating user requests without compromising your vision. Keep up the great work.
    If I turn off Location Services on my phone GeoStrings displays a popup warning you that GPS is off. I just tried it out.

So I think something's up with your phone especially if other location-aware apps that used to warn you are no longer doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbytehead View Post
    Dan,

This has happened to me a few times on my Sprint Pre. I've fixed it by turning location services back ON, wait a few minutes, and then turn back off. I've seen this happen if I answer NO when an app requests Location Services. I'm not sure, however, if this is a bug in 1.4.

See if that helps.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me