Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #561  
    Version 1.0.5 has been submitted to Palm and hopefully it won't take them too long to accept it.

Here's the list of changes:

- GeoStrings has been given a fresh, new look. And now on the Preferences screen, you can customize the wallpaper image and background colors to suit your particular tastes.

- Modify the method used to create rounded textfields.

- Set the drop-down menus on the 'Add/Edit GeoStrings' screen to be hidden immediately to eliminate the possibility of them being displayed momentarily when the screen loads.

- Add an interactive help popup for the trial version's upgrade button.

- Fix bug where if there are no records to transfer from the trial version to the full version, the progress indicator will never show as complete.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I have been using your app for a few weeks now and love it. It has saved me countless amounts of time.

I build grocery lists on the app and whenever I am near a favorite grocery, I pop in and get what I need. Occasionally, I want to build the list a little longer so I boomerang it. Am I missing it, would be cool to have a means to hit the note icon for the string while in the notify phase to see what the visit is all about. This admittedly is a limited use feature I think.

There is one thing I wish was easier, there are a few strings I use every day (remind me to enter the ending miles in my Myles application when I get home). To get the string back to favorites, I have to open it, slide it down and move the button over to inactive. I mistakenly slid the notice to the right once and it deleted it all together. Am I just using the app wrong in this case?

Great app!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  3.    #563  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I have been using your app for a few weeks now and love it. It has saved me countless amounts of time.
    Glad to hear it!

I build grocery lists on the app and whenever I am near a favorite grocery, I pop in and get what I need. Occasionally, I want to build the list a little longer so I boomerang it. Am I missing it, would be cool to have a means to hit the note icon for the string while in the notify phase to see what the visit is all about. This admittedly is a limited use feature I think.
    I didn't want to mention this yet, but I have a new version of the app ready to submit to Palm that adds this feature. The current version submitted (version 1.0.6) is already pending review; however I found another visual quirk related to webOS 1.4 in this version so I created a new version (1.0.7). And along with this fix I decided to add note icons next to each "in alert" GeoString on the alert popup. So you can view your note directly on the alert popup without having to launch the app.

But I need to wait for 1.0.6 to be accepted by Palm before I can submit 1.0.7. And for those keeping track, I had previously indicated in this thread that the new version is 1.0.5; however to make a long story short, this became 1.0.6. I know...it's confusing.

There is one thing I wish was easier, there are a few strings I use every day (remind me to enter the ending miles in my Myles application when I get home). To get the string back to favorites, I have to open it, slide it down and move the button over to inactive. I mistakenly slid the notice to the right once and it deleted it all together. Am I just using the app wrong in this case?

Great app!
    I think you're talking about the alert popup. If you slide a GeoString to the right (or left), it will deactivate it. It will keep it saved in the history as long as you didn't select the "Delete the GeoString once..." option at the bottom of the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen.

If you have a GeoString that you'll be re-using a lot, I'd suggest selecting the "Save as Favorite" selection at the bottom of the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen. This will allow you to access this GeoString quickly by tapping the titlebar at the top of the GeoString list screen and selecting "Favorite GeoStrings".
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Love the new upgrade!!
  5.    #565  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Love the new upgrade!!
    Ah good it's been released. As I mentioned before, version 1.0.6 redesigns the look of the app with a brand new visual theme. And the backgrounds and wallpapers are now fully customizable.

These changes were necessary due to a CSS bug in webOS 1.4. A day before 1.4 was released I was notified by a Palm engineer that the bug would not be fixed in the 1.4 release. Over a month before this, I had identified this bug, as well as a few others, on the 1.4 Beta forum and never got an answer until the day before the release (which the developers were not notified of). And so I had to quickly work around the issue. My solution was the visual re-design of the app.

Since 1.4 has been released, I've found 2 other issues related to bugs in webOS 1.4, so I'll be releasing version 1.0.7 tonight. One of the issues affects the ability of GeoStrings to reliably read positional data in the background, which of course is the core function of the app. The issue doesn't happen all the time, but it's happening enough to warrant a quick fix.

So version 1.0.7, which hopefully Palm will approve later this week, will contain the following features:

- Increase the speed of screen transitions

- If a note is saved to a GeoString, a note icon will appear next to the GeoString on the alert popup. When tapped, the note will appear within the alert popup.

- Add the ability to toggle the font color on the alert popups between white and black so both dark and light wallpapers can be used.

- Implement a more intelligent algorithm to increase the reliability of the positional readings.

Even though version 1.0.7 is coming soon, I'd still pick up version 1.0.6 since it has the new visual customization feature that I'm sure people will have fun playing with. It has become quite popular in Music Player (Remix) and I know GeoStrings users will like it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Add the ability to toggle the font color on the alert popups between white and black so both dark and light wallpapers can be used.
    Will this also affect the date/time pickers? The white font is a bit difficult to see.
    metus delenda est

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom." -- Jumpmaster, Ft. Benning, 1965
    So version 1.0.7, which hopefully Palm will approve later this week, will contain the following features:

- If a note is saved to a GeoString, a note icon will appear next to the GeoString on the alert popup. When tapped, the note will appear within the alert popup.

- Add the ability to toggle the font color on the alert popups between white and black so both dark and light wallpapers can be used.
    Im looking forward to the note being on the alert popup. Will the note pop up cover the whole screen or just be able to scroll within the alert. I just want to see how it would look.

So the font toggle can be changed for the whole app text or just in alert popups? Either way I was just thinking this when I tried to set the levels to all black.

Looking forward to the update Both your apps is 2 of my main apps I use and both of them I can customized!
    --Marvin
  8.    #568  
    Quote Originally Posted by atalbert View Post
    Will this also affect the date/time pickers? The white font is a bit difficult to see.
    I do plan on adding global font customization in a future release; however I didn't want to delay this release to add that feature because I want to get the webOS 1.4 related fixes out as soon as possible.

But adding it to the alert popup didn't take too long, so I included that one. Adding it to the whole app would take a bit more time.

Thanks. That's what I figured. I can "survive" till the next update
    metus delenda est

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom." -- Jumpmaster, Ft. Benning, 1965
  10.    #570  
    Thanks. That's what I figured. I can "survive" till the next update
    And keep in mind now that you can define your own wallpaper, background color, and background opacity, you can choose a theme that you feel will be easier on the eyes for you.

11.    #571  
    Im looking forward to the note being on the alert popup. Will the note pop up cover the whole screen or just be able to scroll within the alert. I just want to see how it would look.
    Here's a screenshot of an alert popup with a GeoString that contains a note:

When you tap the note icon, the note will appear like this:

So the font toggle can be changed for the whole app text or just in alert popups? Either way I was just thinking this when I tried to set the levels to all black.
    Currently it will only apply to the font on alert popups (see the pictures above for an example of a white font with a custom wallpaper I'm using). In a future release, I'll add the ability to customize a font globally within the app.

And keep in mind now that you can define your own wallpaper, background color, and background opacity, you can choose a theme that you feel will be easier on the eyes for you.
    Yup, I've played around with that this morning. I tried increasing the opacity but, at the high end, the font for the date/time pickers was not visable at all. I've ended up sticking with your default scheme since it looks good.
    metus delenda est

13.    #573  
    Yup, I've played around with that this morning. I tried increasing the opacity but, at the high end, the font for the date/time pickers was not visable at all. I've ended up sticking with your default scheme since it looks good.
    Previously I tried playing with the font colors of the date/time picker and if I remember correctly, I could never get it to work the way I would have liked to. Because I agree that the white font is not ideal. I would have preferred to use black. But I'll keep playing with it and figure something out.

Previously I tried playing with the font colors of the date/time picker and if I remember correctly, I could never get it to work the way I would have liked to. Because I agree that the white font is not ideal. I would have preferred to use black. But I'll keep playing with it and figure something out.
    I'm sure you'll get it worked out. Whoops, a GeoString just went off to remind me to do something around the house! Oh, heck, I'll snooze it

Tony
    metus delenda est

Dan,

Thanks for being so responsive with the updates. Great dev support is invaluable.

I don't know if you've started another thread or if this has been asked before, but are you working on other projects in WebOS? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
  16.    #576  
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    Dan,

Thanks for being so responsive with the updates. Great dev support is invaluable.

I don't know if you've started another thread or if this has been asked before, but are you working on other projects in WebOS? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
    You're welcome!

I started working on another project but then stopped to work on GeoStrings again. I haven't decided if I'll continue that project or work on something completely different. I've come up with a few other ideas, but all of them are not possible with the current SDK.

But at some point I'm hoping to work on a new project. However it may depend upon how well GeoStrings does. From a revenue standpoint, I'd say it has done ok, but not great. As time goes by, it's going to be harder and harder to justify to the wife spending so much time on these projects and not making hardly any revenue in return.

I realize webOS developers are taking a chance on this platform. It'll either take off or it won't. So only time will tell what will happen. Right now I'm a little bit pessimistic about its chances vs. Android and iPhone. I think Palm needs to come out with some exciting new hardware to stay competitive. Their OS is top notch; however in the "buzz" department, it has a long way to go. I think the early round of creepy-girl ads really hurt its image. And marketing in general for the platform has been sub-standard.

But anyway I guess I've veered a bit off course for this thread.

Ah good it's been released. As I mentioned before, version 1.0.6 redesigns the look of the app with a brand new visual theme. And the backgrounds and wallpapers are now fully customizable.
    Thank you for continuing with the updates. You're only making it better....

I like the sunburst effect on the new default wallpaper. I'm sure I'll play around with different pics (I like to change wallpapers frequently) but it's a keeper. I have the opacity set so I can still see it but it's not overwhelming.

I hate to bug you with yet another request, especially since you're churning out updates faster than we can install them, but....an option to control which of the locations lists comes up initially would be good. I almost always use groups & therefore have to switch over most of the time.
  18.    #578  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    Thank you for continuing with the updates. You're only making it better....

I like the sunburst effect on the new default wallpaper. I'm sure I'll play around with different pics (I like to change wallpapers frequently) but it's a keeper. I have the opacity set so I can still see it but it's not overwhelming.

I hate to bug you with yet another request, especially since you're churning out updates faster than we can install them, but....an option to control which of the locations lists comes up initially would be good. I almost always use groups & therefore have to switch over most of the time.
    I was considering something like this actually. So yeah I have it on the list.

19.    #579  
    I've created a video demonstrating the new look of GeoStrings and all of the ways you can customize it (including alert popup font color which will be available in version 1.0.7 which is currently pending review):

I've created a video demonstrating the new look of GeoStrings and all of the ways you can customize it (including alert popup font color which will be available in version 1.0.7 which is currently pending review):
    I might be pushing it here, but is there a way to link to these videos (or just your youtube channel) from within the app -- doesn't have to be front-and-center of course, maybe in the help or 'about' pages with an API call to the Youtube app.. (I know --- or at least I think I know --- that I can just go to search WebOS Youtube and find them, I was just thinking it would be cool to lauch right from within the app -- it'd be like having video help. I think you'd be the first to pull off something like that.